What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Picks 2:12 & 3:1 = RB2 & WR1 (1 Viewer)

PSILOCYBIN

Footballguy
I am sure there are several links on this so I apologize for another one.

No doubt, my stategy is LT2 follwed by RB2 and WR1.

IN looking at ADP's, it looks like the following will/might be available at the 2/3 turn:

RB2

T Jones

Edge

Benson

Portis

Cadillac

Jacobs

Adrian Peterson (gamble)

WR1

Wayne

Holt

R Williams

Larrry Fitz

Anquan

How would you all rank these guys? Standard scoring with PPR w/ utilization of a flex player. Must start 1QB, 2 or 3RB, 2 or 3WR, 1 TE, 1k, 1DEF.

I am high on T Jones and have been since the day he went to the J-E-T-S. I think Ariz is going to commit a little more to the run as a result of an improved line + the Russ Grimm factor.

Hopefully, Holt will be available to me as he is my target at 3:1 if I can get him, if not, my next best hope is Wayne.

The addition of Calvin Johnson scares me at DET w/ regard to Roy Williams. I'm not loving Fitz or Anquan this year especially if I end up with Edge at RB2.

THOUGHTS?

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there are several links on this so I apologize for another one.No doubt, my stategy is LT2 follwed by RB2 and WR1.IN looking at ADP's, it looks like the following will/might be available at the 2/3 turn:RB2T JonesEdgeBensonPortisCadillacJacobsAdrian Peterson (gamble)WR1WayneHoltR WilliamsLarrry FitzAnquanHow would you all rank these guys? Standard scoring with PPR. I am high on T Jones and have been since the day he went to the J-E-T-S. I think Ariz is going to commit a little more to the run as a result of an improved line + the Russ Grimm factor.Hopefully, Holt will be available to me as he is my target at 3:1 if I can get him, if not, my next best hope is Wayne.The addition of Calvin Johnson scares me at DET w/ regard to Roy Williams. I'm not loving Fitz or Anquan this year especially if I end up with Edge at RB2.THOUGHTS?THANK YOU!
Im going WR WR. Likely Owens and Wayne, certainly Holt if he is there which I doubt. Depends on your league, maybe Johnson slides, or something, you never know. Either way with LT in the fold, I will try to get the dominate WR Corp as well. I'll capret bomb the RBs in later rounds hoping to get someone productive to go along with LT.

Harrison, Holt, Owens, Smith, maybe Wayne and CJ. If two of those are there it's WR/WR for me. If not, I'm going WR/RB. I would love to grab Portis here except the problem is that you would have to spend 2 mid rounders on handcuffs in both Betts and Turner now. T. Jones or Edge would most likely be the pick then.

I would do cartwheels if I could get Portis and Holt at the 2.12/3.01 turn.

That's an easy choice for me.

Off the top of my head, I'd rank them like this:

Portis

Holt

Wayne

Edge

Larrry Fitz (going to get the red zone love :thumbdown: this year)

R Williams

Anquan

T Jones

Adrian Peterson (gamble)

Benson

Cadillac

Jacobs

the usual top 6 WR

holt

smith

harrison

wayne

TO

if any two are there....plus LT.

that is a good start.

rounds 4/5

ahmen green, jamal lewis, dwill, fred taylor, t. bell, foster.....load up on lower tier guys and maybe get lucky.

only little cavet is portis..... :thumbup:

the usual top 6 WRholt85smithharrisonwayneTOif any two are there....plus LT.that is a good start.rounds 4/5ahmen green, jamal lewis, dwill, fred taylor, t. bell, foster.....load up on lower tier guys and maybe get lucky.
very :goodposting: This was my situation last year. I went WR/WR, then scored a "lesser" RB on the 4th/5th turn. I was set for the year. People bug out too much about getting two RB's out of the first three rounds.

the usual top 6 WR

holt

smith

harrison

wayne

TO

that is a good start.

rounds 4/5

ahmen green, jamal lewis, dwill, fred taylor, t. bell, foster.....load up on lower tier guys and maybe get lucky.
very :goodposting: This was my situation last year. I went WR/WR, then scored a "lesser" RB on the 4th/5th turn. I was set for the year. People bug out too much about getting two RB's out of the first three rounds.
I don't see how any two of that list of recievers should be around at the 2.12/3.01 turn in a PPR league. :lmao: Even so, I'd rather have a) than b) here:

a) LT/Portis/one WR from the list/and one of Evans, Colston, Driver, Andre Johnson, or Houshmandzadeh

b) LT/any 2 from that list/lesser rb in the 4th.

the usual top 6 WR

holt

smith

harrison

wayne

TO

that is a good start.

rounds 4/5

very :thumbup: This was my situation last year. I went WR/WR, then scored a "lesser" RB on the 4th/5th turn. I was set for the year. People bug out too much about getting two RB's out of the first three rounds.
I don't see how any two of that list of recievers should be around at the 2.12/3.01 turn in a PPR league. :goodposting: Even so, I'd rather have a) than b) here:

a) LT/Portis/one WR from the list/and one of Evans, Colston, Driver, Andre Johnson, or Houshmandzadeh

:goodposting: I'm in a PPR league and picking 1st as well. In the past, our second round has always seen the top 6-7 WRs go. I would be happy with a) on that list as well.

the usual top 6 WR

holt

smith

harrison

wayne

TO

that is a good start.

rounds 4/5

very :shrug: This was my situation last year. I went WR/WR, then scored a "lesser" RB on the 4th/5th turn. I was set for the year. People bug out too much about getting two RB's out of the first three rounds.
I don't see how any two of that list of recievers should be around at the 2.12/3.01 turn in a PPR league. :lmao: Even so, I'd rather have a) than b) here:

Portis is MUCH less likely to be around at that point than a pair of the tier 1 WRs are.

Portis is MUCH less likely to be around at that point than a pair of the tier 1 WRs are.
I agree. We're getting a lot of assumptions mixed up here.Assuming Portis is gone, if I'm sitting at 2.12/3.01 and I'm looking at the following possibilities, I'm going WR/WR:Terrel OwensTorry HoltReggie WayneMarvin HarrisonRandy MossRudi JohnsonWillis McGaheeMaurice Jones-Drew

I don't think Portis will be there, so basically I think it comes down to Edge vs Benson at RB. I don't think T Jones will put up their production, but he won't be too far behind. Personally I go Benson there, then one of the wide receivers in that group. You have a much better chance getting a solid WR at the end of round 4 than a viable RB2.

Here would be your likely list at the 4.12/5.01 turnaround:

RB: MBIII (maybe, but someone might reach for him early), A Green, J Lewis, D. Williams, J Jones

WR: Driver, A Johnson, Burress, H Ward

Personally, I would much rather have a reliable RB2 and a stud WR, paired with one of these 4th round receivers than two of the stud WRs and one of these RBs. Much more risk involved with the latter.

I agree. We're getting a lot of assumptions mixed up here.Assuming Portis is gone, if I'm sitting at 2.12/3.01 and I'm looking at the following possibilities, I'm going WR/WR:

Terrel Owens

Torry Holt

Reggie Wayne

Marvin Harrison

Randy Moss

Rudi Johnson

Willis McGahee

Maurice Jones-Drew
Are you implying that you would expect these guys to all be there still at the end of the 2nd round? These RBs are all late first round, early 2nd round picks. I don't see any way that they would fall that far. All 3 are also ahead of Portis in ADP, as well pretty much all the rankings/projections (ie. FBG), so if you're assuming Portis is gone, then certainly this group would be as well.

Depends on the run that you expect in rounds 4/5...in other words, what RBs/QBs will be available at 4.12 for you?

Predicting what will happen is more important than what 90% of ffers realize.

I agree. We're getting a lot of assumptions mixed up here.Assuming Portis is gone, if I'm sitting at 2.12/3.01 and I'm looking at the following possibilities, I'm going WR/WR:

Terrel Owens

Torry Holt

Reggie Wayne

Marvin Harrison

Randy Moss

Rudi Johnson

Willis McGahee

Maurice Jones-Drew
Are you implying that you would expect these guys to all be there still at the end of the 2nd round? These RBs are all late first round, early 2nd round picks. I don't see any way that they would fall that far. All 3 are also ahead of Portis in ADP, as well pretty much all the rankings/projections (ie. FBG), so if you're assuming Portis is gone, then certainly this group would be as well.
Not in a PPR they won't be. The top receivers would bump them down to the late 2nd/early 3rd.P.S. - I would take Portis ahead of all three.

I don't think Portis will be there, so basically I think it comes down to Edge vs Benson at RB. I don't think T Jones will put up their production, but he won't be too far behind. Personally I go Benson there, then one of the wide receivers in that group. You have a much better chance getting a solid WR at the end of round 4 than a viable RB2.Here would be your likely list at the 4.12/5.01 turnaround:RB: MBIII (maybe, but someone might reach for him early), A Green, J Lewis, D. Williams, J JonesWR: Driver, A Johnson, Burress, H WardPersonally, I would much rather have a reliable RB2 and a stud WR, paired with one of these 4th round receivers than two of the stud WRs and one of these RBs. Much more risk involved with the latter.
in all my mocks:never driver or johnsonsometimes burressalways ward.so basicallya. LT/Holt/Wayne/GreenB. LT/Holt/Benson/Wardleaning A.

so basicallya. LT/Holt/Wayne/GreenB. LT/Holt/Benson/Wardleaning A.
"A" all the way.It all comes down to what RB is available at the 2/3 turn. If he's a PPR RB, then I'd go RB/WR, but if he's a Rudy Johnson type, then I go WR/WR.

einstein2u said:
LHUCKS said:
Andy Dufresne said:
einstein2u said:
"A" all the way.
the best analysis here should include what would be there at 5.01.
at 5.01 rb would inclue off the top of my head:dwillpetersonlewisnorwoodjuliusc. taylort. bellrarelyduececaddylynch
If Caddy will be there a WR/WR at the 2/3 turn would work out perfect. You could go Norwood or DWill if you want high upside.What WRs are on the board?

einstein2u said:
LHUCKS said:
Andy Dufresne said:
einstein2u said:
"A" all the way.
at 5.01 rb would inclue off the top of my head:dwillpetersonlewisnorwoodjuliusc. taylort. bellrarelyduececaddylynch
If Caddy will be there a WR/WR at the 2/3 turn would work out perfect. You could go Norwood or DWill if you want high upside.What WRs are on the board?
reggie browncalvin johnsoncolessantana mossdjaxchambersedwards

einstein2u said:
LHUCKS said:
Andy Dufresne said:
einstein2u said:
"A" all the way.
reggie browncalvin johnsoncolessantana mossdjaxchambersedwards
Hmmm...

Andy Dufresne said:
LHUCKS said:
Andy Dufresne said:
einstein2u said:
"A" all the way.
Possibilities:RB - Ronnie Brown, Marshawn Lynch, Cadillac, McAllister, DeAngelo WilliamsWR - Deion Branch, Terry Glenn, Mark Clayton, Braylon Edwards, Chris Chambers, Reggie Brown, Calvin Johnson
If Ronnie Brown or Caddy are available at 4.12 I wouldn't think twice about going WR/WR at the 2/3 turn.WR/WR is the way to go at the 2/3 turn if these are the players projected to be available at 4.12.

If I'm in this spot, I am really liking the possibilities of getting Palmer and Benson as my two picks (assuming non-PPR), and then going two WRs with the 4.12/5.01 picks.

This nets you:

Palmer

LT2

Benson

Evans

Ward

I am DAMN happy with that lineup. If you went Palmer/WR, you'd end up with something like:

Palmer

LT2

Ahman

TO

Evans/Ward

I like this one too, but probably team A a little bit better.

Andy Dufresne said:
hephner said:
Andy Dufresne said:
FreeBaGeL said:

Terrel Owens

Torry Holt

Reggie Wayne

Marvin Harrison

Randy Moss

Rudi Johnson

Willis McGahee

Maurice Jones-Drew
Not in a PPR they won't be. The top receivers would bump them down to the late 2nd/early 3rd.P.S. - I would take Portis ahead of all three.
Didn't notice it was PPR, which definitely would change my opinion.However, regarding Portis, I'm a little surprised you would take him over Jones-Drew in PPR. Portis has never caught more than 40 passes in a season. He caught 30 last year, while Betts caught 57, and is likely to be the 3rd down back, along with stealing a few goal line carries. I don't see Jones-Drew being able to match last years TD production, but I think he's a better pick in PPR since I would expect him to increase his receptions, and he had 46 already last year.

However, regarding Portis, I'm a little surprised you would take him over Jones-Drew in PPR. Portis has never caught more than 40 passes in a season. He caught 30 last year, while Betts caught 57, and is likely to be the 3rd down back, along with stealing a few goal line carries. I don't see Jones-Drew being able to match last years TD production, but I think he's a better pick in PPR since I would expect him to increase his receptions, and he had 46 already last year.
Gut feeling. Portis caught 30 while missing time. I still feel he's far superior to Betts and am not worried about that arrangement at all.I'm slow to both get off and on bandwagons (except for Eli manning. THAT was a short trip). So I'm just haven't bought into MJD yet.

This is a great thread, great question and I love the well thought out answers. This is something I struggle with every year and whoever said that you should compare what will be there later is absolutely correct.

So with LT you can go

RB/RB

RB/WR

WR/WR

If you go RB/RB I'd personally go Portis & Benson. Then in 4.12 and 5.01 for WR you're looking at

Driver (probably not)

Burress

Ward

S. Moss

Coles

C. Johnson

Let's be pessimistic and say that you get Burress and Ward.

If you go RB/WR we'll say Portis and Wayne is probably the best bet (or Fitzgerald)

Then in 4.12 and 5.01 RB you're looking at

Lynch (if lucky)

Barber

Peterson

A. Green

If you go WR/WR we'll say

Wayne

Fitzgerald/Housh

Lynch (if lucky)

Barber

Peterson

A. Green

So to recap

RB/RB Option

Portis

Benson or T. Jones (ironic)

2 from Burress/Ward/S. Moss/C. Johnson

RB/WR Option

Portis

Wayne

Burress/Ward/S. Moss

Peterson (upside)/A. Green (safe)

WR/WR

Wayne

Fitzgerald/Housh

Peterson

A. Green, maybe Lynch

Personally I like coming out with 3 RB but that may be overkill based on your lineup requirements. If you can't start 3 RB or a flex as a 3rd then I'd say the RB/WR option looks good. This is skipping any QB options. Would you take Palmer or Brady at 3.01 if they're there?

This is a great thread, great question and I love the well thought out answers. This is something I struggle with every year and whoever said that you should compare what will be there later is absolutely correct.

So with LT you can go

RB/RB

RB/WR

WR/WR

If you go RB/RB I'd personally go Portis & Benson. Then in 4.12 and 5.01 for WR you're looking at

Driver (probably not)

Burress

Ward

S. Moss

Coles

C. Johnson

Let's be pessimistic and say that you get Burress and Ward.

If you go RB/WR we'll say Portis and Wayne is probably the best bet (or Fitzgerald)

Lynch (if lucky)

Barber

Peterson

A. Green

If you go WR/WR we'll say

Wayne

Fitzgerald/Housh

Lynch (if lucky)

Barber

Peterson

A. Green

So to recap

RB/RB Option

Portis

Benson or T. Jones (ironic)

2 from Burress/Ward/S. Moss/C. Johnson

RB/WR Option

Portis

Wayne

Burress/Ward/S. Moss

Peterson (upside)/A. Green (safe)

WR/WR

Wayne

Fitzgerald/Housh

Peterson

A. Green, maybe Lynch

Personally I like coming out with 3 RB but that may be overkill based on your lineup requirements. If you can't start 3 RB or a flex as a 3rd then I'd say the RB/WR option looks good. This is skipping any QB options. Would you take Palmer or Brady at 3.01 if they're there?
for me...the WR/WR only works if only the top 6 were involved.85

smith

TO

Holt

harrison

wayne

2 of them and LT....good core.

if not rb/wr

palmer/brady would be there too.....not sure about that one.

TKS for the all the responses....

When I look back to last year (we re-draft evey year) the team in the #1 slot went:

LT2

TO

HOLT

They struggled all year with trying to find a RB2 as they ended up with Mike Bell and Chris Brown in rds 5 & 6 respectively. Also ended up with Mcnabb in rd 7.

While able to stay somewhat competative all year because of LT2 and and really competative until Mcnabb got hurt, not having much of any production out of RB2 hurt them.

Personally, I would never draft a TE at the 2/3 turn as some people have suggested in other links (especially when the #1 TE is Gates and I am not a fan of two players from the same team - - (although I would never rule it out if Gates were available later on).

Although LT2, Owens and Holt sounds great, I am still struggling with whether or not I go LT, RB, RB or LT, RB, WR or LT, WR, WR or do I get a Palmer or Brady into the mix thus getting me LT2, RB or WR and a QB? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

We now have a flex player for the first time (could be a WR or RB) so I am trying to figure what to do w/ that new wrinkle. Although fun to think about, I am racking my brain.

How come noone has discussed taking WR/TE at the 2/3 turn. I know its unconventional but at that point you would have the top RB a top 5/6 WR and the top te. Especially in a ppr league Gates will outscore his comrades by at least what 3-4 points a game? how many #2 wr or rb are going to give you that. You can still go get a rb and wr at the 4/5 turn and come out with a solid lineup. I havent run it through DD yet but will see how it works out later.

I actually have the 2nd pick, but its pretty much the same strategy and selection of players just sub SJax for LT.

I really have found my best teams (12 team) are starting:

1. SJac

2. Top WR (looks like Wayne, TO, and Holt are the 3 falling there)

3. Gates

After that you have to adjust to what players are sliding around, but I really like the possibility of walking away from the first 3 rounds with dominant players at 3 positions. There is a ton of value at WR in the mid rounds as guys like Ward, Reg Brown, and Chambers are there at pretty reasonable mid-rounds. I also like Kevin Curtis as a late pick-up.

The 2nd RB seems to me to be real pitfall of this high draft position. I never like the guys that are available. I like Deuce in the 4th but it seems every mock he goes just a pick or 2 before me. I usually end up just gambling on lots of backs in the mid-to-late rounds (Chris Brown, Lendale White, Jerrious Norwood, Tatum Bell) The 4th and 5th pick should leave a top level QB like Brady, Brees, or Bulger if you are so inclined.

My money league is non-PPR, with 2 RBs, so RB/WR looks like the clear winner if I were to get a top 3 pick.

Hmm...I'm still scared of Portis's tendinitis. Just don't see how he holds up all season. Another underrated factor: Statistics and game tape suggest that Dockery may have been their best run blocker last season. I'd love to be convinced otherwise, but as it is I'd rather have Benson or Jacobs since they don't have anything that scary and won't force me to grab a handcuff on the next turn. If you could count on Betts to fall to 7th, then I would like it, but that's not the case AFAIK.

EDIT: Hmm, mockdraftcentral's ADP doesn't have Betts in the top 75, regardless of scoring. Those overall rankings do look pretty reliable for non-expert leagues, so perhaps this may be feasible after all.

-Josh

Had to the #1 pick in a twelve team league. 21 RBs and 2QBs were off the board at my 2nd pick. I had my pick of WRs and ended up going CJ/Owens. Crazy.

Unless the two top WRs are there (S. Smith and Owens), the money play is to draft your second RB and then move 3/4 turn to position youreself to draft the undervalued Walker and Housh.

1.1 LT

2.12 Portis (will be available 50% of the time)

3.late Housh

4.early Walker

5.1 Heap

Unless the two top WRs are there (S. Smith and Owens), the money play is to draft your second RB and then move 3/4 turn to position youreself to draft the undervalued Walker and Housh.1.1 LT2.12 Portis (will be available 50% of the time)3.late Housh4.early Walker5.1 Heap
no problem with this...is that i have rarely seen Housh and walker at the 3/4 turn.most of the time it is:wardreggie brownplaxico.

I think you guys are high if you don't WR WR at the 2.12 - 3.01 turn. Plenty of value RBs at 4 and 5.

Users who are viewing this thread