What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AD officially reaches the second round (1 Viewer)

bb7278

Footballguy
Rookie RB Peterson Is Real Deal

Chris Smith, Footballguys.com

While there are questions in regards to his durability, Minnesota Vikings rookie RB Adrian Peterson proved that he is a legitimate star player at this level. On one 43-yard gallop, he spun past a defender and glided down the sideline only to lower the shoulder as a defender arrived and finished off the run with a big hit. He carried the ball 8 times for 70 yards and scored a touchdown.

I personally will be taking him over the likes of Brown,McGahee, James, Benson when I draft in the second round.

There is no reason to believe that he can't be top 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
AP looked like the real deal tonight.

I personally will be taking him over the likes of Brown,McGahee, James, Benson when I draft in the second round.

There is no reason to believe that he can't be top 15.
Sure there is, his name is Chester Taylor.

I just watched a highlight, that was a BIGTIME spin move, if he can stay on the field he is gonna be value in the second.

I don't think anyone doubts that the guy has beastly talent. The only question for me has been the supporting cast. Can they move the ball well enough to make him an elite back, or is this another case of Jamal Lewis on the Ravens?

I don't think anyone doubts that the guy has beastly talent. The only question for me has been the supporting cast.
Precisely. I've said before, that is THE huge question. If Jackson sucks and nobody respects the passing game, it will make life particularly tough on Peterson. Jackson looks good for now, but all these defenses in the preseason are disgustingly vanilla. If A-Pete was around during the Culpepper/Moss era..... :wub:

I don't have any doubts Peterson will be a big time RB, but, grabbing him in the second without knowing for sure if Jackson can make defenses respect his passing game is a big risk.

I've been saying all along that AD is a better running back than Reggie Bush. He's not a better receiver, but is a better pure NFL RB. This guy is the real deal.

My 12 team league is a 3 player keeper, so my 1st overall pick will be the 37th player taken.

17 of the 36 keepers are RBs, and with my three keepers of Larry Johnson, Donovan McNabb and Marvin Harrison, absoLUTEly I am gonna nab this guy as my #2 RB and 18th RB overall.

Did he do all of it against New York's 1's?
His big run was against the first team defense.I wouldn't put much weight on this game. I don't think anyone doubted that AP could break a 40 yard run. And that's all he showed so far.The problem is there are at least 15 talented RBs that will get more carries than Peterson. There are another 15 guys projected to rush for more TDs than AP, and I don't think he's going to add more than a couple of hundred yards receiving. Without a lot of carries, TDs or receiving yards, he's going to need to average close to 5.0 YPC to be a RB1. His upside is pretty limited, which makes him a bad second round pick in most leagues.Really, what's the difference between Peterson and Ahman Green, except Green doesn't have a very good RB to compete with? And a rookie AP would be lucky to match Green's career 4.5 YPC average.

Rookie RB Peterson Is Real DealChris Smith, Footballguys.comWhile there are questions in regards to his durability, Minnesota Vikings rookie RB Adrian Peterson proved that he is a legitimate star player at this level. On one 43-yard gallop, he spun past a defender and glided down the sideline only to lower the shoulder as a defender arrived and finished off the run with a big hit. He carried the ball 8 times for 70 yards and scored a touchdown. I personally will be taking him over the likes of Brown,McGahee, James, Benson when I draft in the second round.There is no reason to believe that he can't be top 15.
pipe down , they played the JETS for pete's sake..last I checked the JETS run defense was pathetic..you're ranking him as a top 15 RB, off of this one preseason game ? :thumbup: he's been hurt in 3 of the past 4 seasons, playing in college, on an 11 game schedule..now he plays full 16 game schedules + preseason, has Chester Taylor to fight for carries with, and, Peterson has never shown to be anything close to being 'durable'..again, he got hurt 3 years in a row, playing an 11-game schedule with dudes half his size/speed/weight..

As a big time Sooner fan I love AD, but let's not get crazy here. He had injuries all three of his college seasons (although he played through them his 1st season) and that was at the college level.

I don't see why you don't stack the box vs Minnesota as he's the only legit threat IMHO. He will be limited until they figure out how to stretch the field with the pass.

Playing Chicago twice isn't going to help him much either. At least Tommie and Dusty will take it easy on him! :)

OTOH they pretty much had the same team last year and Chester Taylor put up decent numbers. If healthy AD should surpass that as he should get the goaline carries as well.

Second round is quite a stretch for me though. I'm drafting #1 in a 12 man redraft and I'll be happy to snag him as my 3rd RB at the 4:12/5:1 turn. If anybody takes him before then they are quite foolish and taking a big risk. The main problem with my league is everybody knows I'm a huge sooner fan and they'll probably take him before 4:12 just to spite me.

I really hope I'm wrong and he turns into something special. He has all the athletic ability to be a top 10 RB but I do worry about his durability. Chester Taylor will definately take away some carries from him-at least in the first few games.

I too will be taking him over guys like Brown,McGahee, James, Benson.

It all depends on if you are an aggressive player and go for the homerun pick or play for 2nd place.

I too will be taking him over guys like Brown,McGahee, James, Benson. It all depends on if you are an aggressive player and go for the homerun pick or play for 2nd place.
Looks like you'll be playing for 2nd place if you draft him over those guys. All 4 of those guys mentioned above are feature backs who will be getting GL carries. They will have a lot more opportunties to score points compared to Peterson.

I've been saying all along that AD is a better running back than Reggie Bush. He's not a better receiver, but is a better pure NFL RB. This guy is the real deal.
ok - step away from the computer.....this is getting out of hand. ONE spin move does not make an NFL career. What if he stepped right into Urlacher with that cute spin move?? (gets to try 2 times a year - and you know BrianU was watching....)....I say bruised sternum and a fumble.

draft him in the 2nd only if you have extreme confidence in your #1.

I too will be taking him over guys like Brown,McGahee, James, Benson. It all depends on if you are an aggressive player and go for the homerun pick or play for 2nd place.
Looks like you'll be playing for 2nd place if you draft him over those guys. All 4 of those guys mentioned above are feature backs who will be getting GL carries. They will have a lot more opportunties to score points compared to Peterson.
Oh get real. Like either one of us know for sure what will happen.I just prefer more of a home run guy instead of following the herd of sheep that says he shouldn't go before these running backs mentioned.

I think right now, it would be tough for me to take him over Benson, McGahee, or Ronnie B. With Edge, I might be more likely to take a flier. I more worried about the injury concerns than that amount of carries. This guy could certainly have 4+ TD runs that are over 15-20 yards, and likely will have at least a few. The GL carries would be interesting bc IDK who'd be getting those.Why I do think he'll have value in at least the 3rd round, current FF team roster notwithstanding1)McKinnie and Hutch on the left side. Their line is Top 5, a big reason why Chester had as good of a yr last year as he did2)If they could run last yr with the fools they had last yr @ wr, why not this yr? Bobby Wade is somewhat of an upgrade, i thinkk.3)Yeah, they play the bears, but they also play the lions and the pack. I think that evens out a bit. Taylor will get his, but if, IF, AP is healthy for the season, I would think the Vikes would be giving him the ball close to 20 times a game during the last 1/3 of the season, i.e. FF playoffs. Why not? Hes their best shot

I wouldn't put much weight on this game. I don't think anyone doubted that AP could break a 40 yard run. And that's all he showed so far.
I in no way condoning taking AD in the 2nd, but did you watch the rest of the game or just that one run?The 40 yard run was awesome no doubt, but even outside of that he looked great. I remember a couple plays after that he ran up the gut where there was nothing there, looked like your standard no gain, and then the down marker came up and said 2nd and 5, he had moved the pile 5 yards. Seemed like most his runs were similar....around 4 yards even when it looked like there was nothing there.

His big run was against the first team defense.I wouldn't put much weight on this game. I don't think anyone doubted that AP could break a 40 yard run. And that's all he showed so far.The problem is there are at least 15 talented RBs that will get more carries than Peterson. There are another 15 guys projected to rush for more TDs than AP, and I don't think he's going to add more than a couple of hundred yards receiving. Without a lot of carries, TDs or receiving yards, he's going to need to average close to 5.0 YPC to be a RB1. His upside is pretty limited, which makes him a bad second round pick in most leagues.Really, what's the difference between Peterson and Ahman Green, except Green doesn't have a very good RB to compete with? And a rookie AP would be lucky to match Green's career 4.5 YPC average.
What makes you so certain that 15 RB will get more carries than AD in 2007?Just because 15 players are projected to get more TD than AD does not mean they will.The only thing limiting his upside is this notion that the Vikings will be a RBBC 50% split between Chester and AD and that the Vikings will not run many offensive plays because Jackson and the WR are so much worse than Brad Johnson and Travis Taylor......The main difference between AD and Ahman Green and most of the other RBs is he has a ton more talent then those RBs do including Chester Taylor.

You know what's funny? I thought he was gone when he broke free after the spin move. That he didn't go the distance, and the way he was running in the open field, indicated to me that his hip pointer is still bothering him.

They showed him on the bench after the TD run massaging the hip area.

All I'm saying with this, is that as good as he looked, I think he'll be BETTER when he's completely healed.

I'm so happy the Vikings drafted him I can't even tell ya how much.

I've been moving this guy6 up my draft board pretty consistantly the past several weeks. I'm not worried about Chester Taylor at all. The first 3 games or so it may be 60/40 ADP/Taylor but not long after that I think Taylor will merely spell Peterson and take a few third down situations away from him. That will probably be to Peterson's advantage as it will help to keep him fresh and prevent/delay him from hitting that rookie wall.

Aside from T.Jackson my main concern is how bad will the Vikings be in 2007? It's possible that they'll be a 5 win team, that & the QB play of Jackson could seriously impeed Peterson.

I think Jackson will keep D's honest enough for that MN running game to have great success all year. I really like that line quite a bit.

I don't know if he'll be Top 15 because I'd expect Taylor to be on the field quite a bit for at least part of the season, but I'd expect Peterson to be Top 15 over the last 5-6 weeks of the season. Taylor's merely a stepping stone here.

:banned:

Minnesota Vikings rookie RB Adrian Peterson proved that he is a legitimate star player at this level.
After watching Brian Griese's many stellar career preseason performances, I can only conclude that his name will one day be mentioned among the likes of Marino, Favre, Elway, and Montana. Also, Quentin Griffin's performances against Indy and KC have signaled his arrival as the second coming of Barry Sanders.Long story short, Peterson might have looked nice, but he hasn't PROVEN anything yet.

Minnesota Vikings rookie RB Adrian Peterson proved that he is a legitimate star player at this level.
After watching Brian Griese's many stellar career preseason performances, I can only conclude that his name will one day be mentioned among the likes of Marino, Favre, Elway, and Montana. Also, Quentin Griffin's performances against Indy and KC have signaled his arrival as the second coming of Barry Sanders.Long story short, Peterson might have looked nice, but he hasn't PROVEN anything yet.
No doubt that Peterson hasn't proven anything yet, how could he at this point? I don't think that there's any denying that he is a special talent, much like Calvin Johnson and both will end up being studs in the end. Will they be fantasy starters on week one? Both are probably borderline in 12 team leagues right now, but I don't think either will bust. I am a little concerned with how bad the Vikings may be this year but I think by mid-season that there's no doubt both ADP & CJ will be starters in a 12 team league.

Don't forget that Minny's O-line (at least one side of it) is one of the best in the league.

With the lack of passing game, I say it helps AD get all of the goalline looks. This team might score only 25 TDS, but AD could get 12 of them.

Talent should not be underestimated. Those that are talented will see their opportunity increased.

He's currently #18 on my board, ahead of James and McGahee, but behind R. Brown and Benson.

Aside from T.Jackson my main concern is how bad will the Vikings be in 2007? It's possible that they'll be a 5 win team, that & the QB play of Jackson could seriously impeed Peterson.
Jackson is a huge upgrade from Brad Johnson in that offense.>>I would be a huge uprgrade from Brad Johnson. That guy fumbles at the sight of his own shadow these days.

Name 5 RB's that have more talent when they came out of the draft than AP in the past 5 years.......

Good luck with that.

Bottom line, if AP is healthy nothing short of the return of Barry Sanders in his prime suiting up for the Vikings is going to keep AP off the field. Chester Taylor will be relegated to 3rd downs and running Gatorade on the field to AP.

Benson is injury prone as well and seems to be missing something otherwise.

Willis MeeGahee goes from Buffalo to a team that's o-line has took a hit, his numbers and Jamal's are Identical if you check the past few years.

Brown- meeesh he isn't impressing

Edge- wanna talk about GL carries? Edge is not a goal-line back anymore like he used to be.

Dear FF gods,

If there is any justice in the cruel world of FF, make this a december 2007 bump after many of us have rode him to the promised land.

Sincerely,

FBG AP Kool-aid drinking society

Top 15 for AP if he can stay on the field for at least 14, where's my AP Kool-Aid oh there it is.............. :rant:

is there are at least 15 talented RBs that will get more carries than Peterson. There are another 15 guys projected to rush for more TDs than AP, and I don't think he's going to add more than a couple of hundred yards receiving. Without a lot of carries, TDs or receiving yards, he's going to need to average close to 5.0 YPC to be a RB1.
?? Who said anything about being a RB1?
His upside is pretty limited, which makes him a bad second round pick in most leagues.
:rant: His upside is massive. The odds of reaching that upside are another story perhaps, but if the coaches ride him and he stays healthy, he could easily by top 5. Not saying he will, but he could. But that aside, this "upside is limited" appears to be the "pet strat" of 07 and overblown. LT's upside is limited too. So is Gates', Harrison's, etc etc......boy I'd hate to have those guys on my team. :rant:
Really, what's the difference between Peterson and Ahman Green, except Green doesn't have a very good RB to compete with?
You're kidding, right? offhand -1 - Green's career is about over while Peterson's whole career is in front of him2 - MIN has a better OL3 - MIN has a better D4 - Taylor isn't a "very good RB." He's a pretty good RB.5 - Green wasn't a #1 pick for his team 6 - Peterson is just a flat-out more talented back in various waysThese can all come into play to varying degrees.PS I'm not huge on Peterson or against him. Just IMO

He's a reach in the second.
many said that about Bush in 2006, and in the end he was a pretty good deal...
LOLBrees >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JacksonAnd Bush was a bad RB last year, his receiving stats is only thing that didn't make him a reach. And he did nothing in the first half to warrant an early pick.There will be no room to run. And Chester Taylor will be the guy in there on 3rd downs.I don't think AP is a very attractive pick other than your #3 RB and especially in a PPR league where he will be de-rated even more on your draft list. In short he is a below average #2RB and good #3 RB.

I wouldn't put much weight on this game. I don't think anyone doubted that AP could break a 40 yard run. And that's all he showed so far.
I in no way condoning taking AD in the 2nd, but did you watch the rest of the game or just that one run?The 40 yard run was awesome no doubt, but even outside of that he looked great. I remember a couple plays after that he ran up the gut where there was nothing there, looked like your standard no gain, and then the down marker came up and said 2nd and 5, he had moved the pile 5 yards. Seemed like most his runs were similar....around 4 yards even when it looked like there was nothing there.
:thumbup: Exactly what I was going to post... AD created that 40yd run with his spin move... but the better run was the pile-moving 5yarder just a few plays after... He's a superb talent no doubt... but I'm not saying I would grab him as a top15 RB... Tarvaris Jackson + Bobby Wade = 8th man front (especially from Bears defense twice a year)... enough for me...

Don't forget that Minny's O-line (at least one side of it) is one of the best in the league. With the lack of passing game, I say it helps AD get all of the goalline looks. This team might score only 25 TDS, but AD could get 12 of them. Talent should not be underestimated. Those that are talented will see their opportunity increased. He's currently #18 on my board, ahead of James and McGahee, but behind R. Brown and Benson.
:thumbup: Heh - that's just where he is now for me. I know, I know - preseason hype. And I've used the line myself a time or two. Bur I just remember watching Terrell Davis in a preseason game after his rookie year, right before his 2000 season, and thinking he just looked so overwhelming, a wolf among the sheep...Peterson struck me the same way last night. And it was the other runs that really did it, as FreeBaGel noted earlier. He always picked up yardage - he looked powerful as well as fast. I had seen him in college, but this was an eye-opener for me. He'll be really good. Yes, better than Ahman Green.

So I guess sever knee-jerk reactions in preseason games are OK so long as the guy was drafted early enough. :unsure:

In my opinion, there are a couple of things to look for in the next Viking preseason games. First, we need to see how Jackson looks throwing the ball deep. Jackson didn't take any shots deep in his limited opportunity last night, and that will be a big indication of whether he can keep Peterson from facing 8 man fronts. Bollinger tried a few deep balls, and failed miserably. If Jackson looks better in this area, big plus for Peterson.

The next thing I'll be looking for is the rotation between Peterson and Taylor. In the begining, they seemed to be rotating back and forth, neither getting a touch. On the second series, after his big run, it seemed Peterson was in unless he needed a breather, and then Chester came in. I'll want to see if that is the way things are going to be run, or if it is more 50-50. If Peterson is going to get the majority of carries at the begining of the year, that's big news.

The last thing I'm going to look for is to what side Peterson is running. It seemed most of his runs were to the right, or up the middle. I'm not sure who's on the right side of the Jets's D-line, but the Vikes seemed to not shy away from running right at Ellis with the weaker side of their O-line. Either McKinnie isn't run blocking well so far this year, or the Vikes are not wanting to show how sucessful Peterson is going to be running to the left until the season kicks in. That's probably a pipe dream for me and it is more likely the former, but a guy can dream.

He's a reach in the second. Not saying he isn't going to be good or that at the end of the year he'll put up second round numbers but right now he's still a reach.

His big run was against the first team defense.I wouldn't put much weight on this game. I don't think anyone doubted that AP could break a 40 yard run. And that's all he showed so far.

The problem is there are at least 15 talented RBs that will get more carries than Peterson. There are another 15 guys projected to rush for more TDs than AP, and I don't think he's going to add more than a couple of hundred yards receiving. Without a lot of carries, TDs or receiving yards, he's going to need to average close to 5.0 YPC to be a RB1. His upside is pretty limited, which makes him a bad second round pick in most leagues.

Really, what's the difference between Peterson and Ahman Green, except Green doesn't have a very good RB to compete with? And a rookie AP would be lucky to match Green's career 4.5 YPC average.
Really? Did you see the 5 yard run and 8 yard run that followed? On the 5 yard run he showed great power to move the pile. And on the 8 yard run he made a sick lateral cut in the hole that very few RBs could make.

Users who are viewing this thread