What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Jones to practice tomorrow (1 Viewer)

TheBradyBunch

Footballguy
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...0,2341073.story

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

September 2, 2007

...At other skill positions, the Jets made some unexpected decisions. They kept only two running backs, releasing Danny Ware and Alvin Banks. Fullback Stacy Tutt took reps at tailback in the preseason finale Thursday and apparently did well enough to make the two rookies expendable. It's also a sure sign that Thomas Jones (calf) will be ready for the season opener a week from today.

...Expect Jones to practice with the team tomorrow, though the Jets probably will limit him to keep him on the injury report.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/

September 3, 2007

Laboring away

By Tom Rock

Unofficially it’s the last day of summer. Officially it’s the last day of no traffic on my way to the Jets complex. By the time I’m back on the road to get here on Wednesday morning, the LIE will be packed will all those teachers, school buses and everyone else who has been kind enough to take vacation the last few weeks and save room for those of us working slobs on the highways.

As for this being Labor Day, the Jets were hard at work. Even Thomas Jones, who stretched and did some drills with the team and then spent some time off to the side with RB coach Jimmy Raye going over footwork and taking outside pitches to get his skills together. He was running outside of upside down garbage pails, which as those of you insiders know is called the Fostner Drill. Sorry, inside joke.

This is the first day Jones has worn his full uniform since the injury, so that’s a step in the right direction. And he looked pretty spry. It’s hard for me to believe he won’t play on Sunday. At 100 percent? Well, close.

The Jets named their captains today, and as I semi-predicted early in training camp, Laveranues Coles was among them. He and Pennington are the offensive captains, Shaun Ellis and Jonathan Vilma did such a bang-up job last year that they were re-elected as defensive captains, and Mike Nugent and Brad Kassell were selected special teams captains. I asked Kassell if he had ever been a captain before. “No. Well, I don’t know. In college maybe? I don’t remember.” Obviously it meant a lot.

The Jets also left room on their practice squad for at least one player. This way, if they make a move this week to bring in a guard through a trade or off the waiver wire (which is not a very appetizing menu), they can just drop one of the guys from the 53 down. Mike DeVito, the only undrafted rookie to make the team, could be a candidate for that designation. The other practice squad guys signed were Manny Collins, Chris Davis, Brett Ratliff, Jason Trusnik, Robert Turner, Ray Ventrone and Danny Ware.

I’ll be enjoying my ride home in a little while, scooting out to Suffolk County, waving at all the Hamptons traffic on the other side of the divider. And when I say divider, I mean it both in the tangible and metaphoric sense.

Jets | T. Jones limited during practice

Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:31:47 -0700

New York Jets RB Thomas Jones (calf) was limited during practice Wednesday, Sept. 5.

Jets | Jones may split carries Week 1 if he plays

Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:46:24 -0700

Dennis Waszak Jr., of The Associated Press, reports New York Jets RB Thomas Jones (calf) might split carries with RB Leon Washington if he is cleared to play.

Jets | T. Jones limited during practiceWed, 5 Sep 2007 13:31:47 -0700New York Jets RB Thomas Jones (calf) was limited during practice Wednesday, Sept. 5.Jets | Jones may split carries Week 1 if he playsWed, 5 Sep 2007 14:46:24 -0700Dennis Waszak Jr., of The Associated Press, reports New York Jets RB Thomas Jones (calf) might split carries with RB Leon Washington if he is cleared to play.
This was a couple of days ago. Any new news on potential RB splits in New York?

If I HAD to start ONE Jets RB this week, and only ONE.... I'd start Leon Washington. It just doesn't sound like Jones is ready to go to me. With Mangini, it's all smoke and mirrors, so this is my opinion driving through the fog with the high beams on. Cutting Ware was a calculated risk... a foolish one IMO, but he did make ot to the taxi squad without getting picked up, most likely because of Pittman getting cut. You won't get a solid answer on this one, because the Jets and Jones are not about to tip their hand....

There had been some question about whether Jones would play.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio confirms that Thomas Jones is expected to play Sunday against the Patriots.

Still keep an eye on the inactives if you're using Jones, but we'd recommend looking hard at your other RB2 options.

Users who are viewing this thread