What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ill wind starting to blow... (1 Viewer)

GoinDeep

Footballguy
I started this training camp off like every other homer. Romo will go crazy with all of the weapons we have, TO will be the leagues leading receiver, Wade will have this defense leading the league in sacks, we are Super Bowl bound, etc., etc....

But now...

Our second best pass rusher is out with no end in sight, one of our starting WRs is coming off knee surgery, we are staring a rookie at OLB and don't have any proven backups as the vets have injuries behind him, we cut or 3rd best CB and our #1 CB has a torn plantar fascia, we are starting a rookie kicker and to top it all off....our friggin QB coach gets a 5 game suspension for HGH use!

I'm feeling rather vulnerable all the sudden.

I started this training camp off like every other homer. Romo will go crazy with all of the weapons we have, TO will be the leagues leading receiver, Wade will have this defense leading the league in sacks, we are Super Bowl bound, etc., etc....But now...Our second best pass rusher is out with no end in sight, one of our starting WRs is coming off knee surgery, we are staring a rookie at OLB and don't have any proven backups as the vets have injuries behind him, we cut or 3rd best CB and our #1 CB has a torn plantar fascia, we are starting a rookie kicker and to top it all off....our friggin QB coach gets a 5 game suspension for HGH use!I'm feeling rather vulnerable all the sudden.
Hey, look at the bright side : Patrick Crayton is better than Terry Glenn anyway. Without Parcells around to keep PC down, I think the WR numbers coming out of Big D will be better. :thumbup:Besides, it's not like you are going to get past the Bears in the playoffs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be worse.

Our starting QB is coming off an ACL tear.

Our All-Pro OL is battling a high ankle sprain.

Our starting TE is recovering from a sports hernia.

We are starting a rookie at OLB, a second year player at MLB (his first at the position).

We are starting a second year player (essentially a rookie since he didn't play much last year) at DT.

We just signed a guy who hasn't returned kicks in 2 years to be our kick returner.

I had a lot of hope about this season. Now I'm worried that we could easily be on the way to 5-11 again.

I'm not worried about TO. Crayton is ok, but really I see more promise in Hurd anyways (don't laugh). Glenn is no big deal. The real worry on offense is that whether the OL is really improved at all. And I have serious doubts about it. Romo is better than the alternative and I still think if he's just average we will be ok in that way.

Defense will be a god awful trainwreck. Teams know they can pick on pass coverage at will and I'd look for anybody playing the cowboys to just light them up for huge yards and big plays. Even the run D is questionable now.

This team starts off the season 1-2 with losses to either ny or mia that's a stone cold :bag: It's how they respond from that which will determine 5-11 or 9-7 this year.

The biggest problem for the Cowboys will come when Tony Romo validates the organization in their refusing to give him a long term contract.

I had a lot of hope about this season. Now I'm worried that we could easily be on the way to 5-11 again. I'm not worried about TO. Crayton is ok, but really I see more promise in Hurd anyways (don't laugh). Glenn is no big deal. The real worry on offense is that whether the OL is really improved at all. And I have serious doubts about it. Romo is better than the alternative and I still think if he's just average we will be ok in that way. Defense will be a god awful trainwreck. Teams know they can pick on pass coverage at will and I'd look for anybody playing the cowboys to just light them up for huge yards and big plays. Even the run D is questionable now. This team starts off the season 1-2 with losses to either ny or mia that's a stone cold :confused: It's how they respond from that which will determine 5-11 or 9-7 this year.
Wow...great assessment. I too thought this defense might be one of the best in the league, but man...I am really worried as well. Unless they are sandbagging the injurt to Newman, we are in trouble. If we blitz too much, I am worried about huge running lanes. We did look good against the run in the preseason though...and Wade says he showed very little of his D in the preseason.

The biggest problem for the Cowboys will come when Tony Romo validates the organization in their refusing to give him a long term contract.
How can you be so obtuse?Say it ain't so Andy - I need Romo this year...
:confused: For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.I just didn't like what I saw of him the second half of the season last year.He started off the season like the golfer that goes out and lights it up at the beginning of the round - only to realize that he's not that good of a golfer and regresses to his true talent level.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an unpleasant feeling but not one that a Giants victory won't cure. The OL will be fine, no worries there. However, I am concerned about Newman. I just don't understand the cutting of A.Glenn especially considering the circumstances. Jacques Reeves better be pretty darn good to justify this and if the preseason is any indication...well we might need to shop for another corner.

Oh yeah, Tony Romo is going to have a bonkers year.

Is it me, or did an Eagles fan just try to console a Dallas fan by saying how bad they've got it, with neither one mentioning the Giants' suckiness or the Redskins' Redskinness?

Is it me, or did an Eagles fan just try to console a Dallas fan by saying how bad they've got it, with neither one mentioning the Giants' suckiness or the Redskins' Redskinness?
That's the only thing good about this. Washington and NY are 3 wins easy this year.

:shrug: For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.I just didn't like what I saw of him the second half of the season last year.He started off the season like the golfer that goes out and lights it up at the beginning of the round - only to realize that he's not that good of a golfer and regresses to his true talent level.
That's one of the more interesting personnel issues going right now. The Cowboys are between a rock and a hard place. While it's true Romo only has about one-half of a season of NFL work he can point to and only half of that was really exemplary, the fact is that if the Cowboys decide to drop him and look elsewhere for a QB what alternative do they have that is in any way palatable? For them, they either extend Romo or they're stuck with drafting a rookie QB next year (when what they'd really like to do is draft McFadden IMHO) or going with a veteran retread like Culpepper, Kitna, Pennington, McCown, etc. IMHO Romo, unless he completely bombs to begin the season, has the team over a barrel.

:shrug: For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.I just didn't like what I saw of him the second half of the season last year.

He started off the season like the golfer that goes out and lights it up at the beginning of the round - only to realize that he's not that good of a golfer and regresses to his true talent level.
That's one of the more interesting personnel issues going right now. The Cowboys are between a rock and a hard place. While it's true Romo only has about one-half of a season of NFL work he can point to and only half of that was really exemplary, the fact is that if the Cowboys decide to drop him and look elsewhere for a QB what alternative do they have that is in any way palatable? For them, they either extend Romo or they're stuck with drafting a rookie QB next year (when what they'd really like to do is draft McFadden IMHO) or going with a veteran retread like Culpepper, Kitna, Pennington, McCown, etc. IMHO Romo, unless he completely bombs to begin the season, has the team over a barrel.
That is true. If he plays even reasonably well, it's almost certain that he re-signs.

Did everyone forget about the franchise tag?

Dallas has all the cards in the negoiations. Romo has played about a half season's worth of starts. A botched play on his part caused them to get eliminated from the playoffs. Who knows how he will react to that this season?

There is no need for Dallas to sign him this offseason when they can franchise and negoiate next season. I highly doubt that they would have gotten him for cheap this offseason anyways, might as well wait for him to do it again and then lock him up.

Did everyone forget about the franchise tag?Dallas has all the cards in the negoiations. Romo has played about a half season's worth of starts. A botched play on his part caused them to get eliminated from the playoffs. Who knows how he will react to that this season?There is no need for Dallas to sign him this offseason when they can franchise and negoiate next season. I highly doubt that they would have gotten him for cheap this offseason anyways, might as well wait for him to do it again and then lock him up.
But then they have to pay him top 5 money. I can't see him being worth that no matter how well he plays.

Did everyone forget about the franchise tag?Dallas has all the cards in the negoiations. Romo has played about a half season's worth of starts. A botched play on his part caused them to get eliminated from the playoffs. Who knows how he will react to that this season?There is no need for Dallas to sign him this offseason when they can franchise and negoiate next season. I highly doubt that they would have gotten him for cheap this offseason anyways, might as well wait for him to do it again and then lock him up.
But then they have to pay him top 5 money. I can't see him being worth that no matter how well he plays.
:lmao: The franchise tag works best for the team the more obscure the position of the player. There aren't many (any? DE? LT?) positions paid higher than QB.

Chin up big fella...

They have a Great Run D.

Roy has lost someweight and can't be any worse than he was last year.

TO has been a saint and appears totally healthy.

They are well rested as the soothing sound of Wade Phillip's voice makes them all join TO for a snooze in meetings.

They have a great running game.

They play the Giants and Redskins twice.

They got rid of Parcell's predictable offence that didn't use their weapons properly.

Injuries will heal.

I just didn't like what I saw of him the second half of the season last year.

He started off the season like the golfer that goes out and lights it up at the beginning of the round - only to realize that he's not that good of a golfer and regresses to his true talent level.
Disagree. Previous posts on Romo:
Why not consider postseason? Including their playoff game, Romo attempted 23 or more passes in 12 games, and he had 225.9 fantasy points in those games (FBG scoring). That is not a bad sample, and is certainly more than half a season.
It is interesting to look at his splits. He had 12 games with 23 or more attempts. Splitting them:

1st 6 (weeks 7-12): 123/178 (69.1%) for 1621 yards (9.1 ypa), 12 TDs, 5 interceptions

Last 6 (weeks 13-17 plus playoff game): 112/186 (60.2%) for 1436 yards (7.7 ypa), 7 TDs, 8 interceptions

Every indicator got worse in his second half. I don't remember if there were injuries and didn't have time to look up SOS, but a glance at his schedule didn't seem to show that his schedule was significantly harder...

How is this dropoff explained? Is it something more than just rookie QB fluctuation?

Taking the last 6 weeks and adjusting for 16 games yields 496 attempts for 3829 passing yards, 19 TDs, and 21 interceptions. 263 fantasy points using FBG scoring. That would have been good enough for QB8 last season. So even if his hot streak was just that and his second half was more indicative of what to expect, the potential is there for him to be a top 10 QB.
It seems like from a passing standpoint, his worst case would be to perform like he did the final 6 games last year... which projects to QB8 (at least last year). That is without rushing, but it seems that there is potential for him to add some rushing numbers... add 200/2 rushing to that QB8 projection and he would have been within 10 fantasy points of QB3 last year.

I just don't see the projections that don't have him in the top 10, unless they are projecting injury either to Romo himself or to his offensive teammates. It seems to me that he has an excellent chance of finishing in the top 5. I would project top 10 to be more conservative, but there is definite upside from there.

Chin up big fella...They have a Great Run D. Roy has lost someweight and can't be any worse than he was last year.TO has been a saint and appears totally healthy.They are well rested as the soothing sound of Wade Phillip's voice makes them all join TO for a snooze in meetings.They have a great running game.They play the Giants and Redskins twice.They got rid of Parcell's predictable offence that didn't use their weapons properly.Injuries will heal.
They DO play the gmen and the skins twice. How'd that work out for them last year? Don't quite recall their division record. Perhaps you could look it up for me. Not sure if losing a hall of fame coach is a bonus or not. Perhaps Parcells didn't know what he had. Perhaps optimism is wishful thinking. Not sure which is it. Still, think the Boys will be fighting for the division title with the Eagles. Slight edge to Philly(as long as McNabb is healthy).

Dallas isn't good enough at defense to beat the elite teams, mainly in the AFC. Offensively, they'll be above average in the NFC.

I honostly am not in love with their running game. I don't think they can run the ball when they need to, which is in the 4th quarter with any type of a lead. Romo will have to make the play.

I don't like the overall pass rush at times and I think the coverage by the Cowboys is well below average.

I am hoping I'm wrong but I have a feeling Eli Manning throws for 2 to 3 TD and 250 yards this week vs. Dallas.

Romo should get 2 himself and over 200 yards so the game will be close. It'll go down to 1st game mistakes like penalties and costly turnovers.

Romo is a fraud...he throws to T.O. every passing down. He will disappoint, why hasn't dallas signed him long term yet? cause they don't believe!

Users who are viewing this thread