What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McNabb to be cut after this season (1 Viewer)

Linton Trust

Footballguy
Gary Cobb was on WIP this morning. He said two things about McNabb:

1) That the players in the locker room do not rally behind him because Andy Reid treats him like a fortunate son. Apparently players in the locker room have expressed their anger towards the fact that everyone on the team gets lectured and called out in practice EXCEPT McNabb, who some said they had never seen Reid talk down on in any way.

2) According to several people within the Eagles organization that Cobb has contact with - McNabb most likely will be cut at the end of this season. Besides the players and fans beginning to turn on him - he's also began to be his own PR man and ignore the Eagles request to only do interviews they approve of. His outright disregard for their attempts to get him to be more of a company player has infuriated many of the Eagles brass.

---

My take: Cobb is reliable and well respected among the philadelphia sports community. If he's willing to go on WIP and say something like 'McNabb WILL be cut after this season' then i imagine that he's heard that from a pretty important person(s). However, he could be used as a pawn to motivate McNabb, but given McNabbs history of over-trying in situations where he's being motivated - i can't imagine they'd risk making him even more mad.

So i guess this could mean there's a chance McNabb gets benched later in the season, especially if they're out of the playoff hunt.

Take it as you want...

Andy Reid treats him like a fortunate son. Apparently players in the locker room have expressed their anger towards the fact that everyone on the team gets lectured and called out in practice EXCEPT McNabb, who some said they had never seen Reid talk down on in any way..... McNabb most likely will be cut at the end of this season.
These things do not compute...unless they're also going to get rid of Reid?

I would love for him to go to the Seahawks......Eagle fans need to lighten up on him. ALthough he will probably go to the Bears and they will then win the Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
My take is that it's WIP. Basically I trust almost nothing they report - and it really almost doesn't matter who reports it.

Yes, they have some guys who get good info sometimes, but on the whole, rumormongering and speculation to show off their inside contacts and rile up callers are the order of business.

Andy Reid treats him like a fortunate son. Apparently players in the locker room have expressed their anger towards the fact that everyone on the team gets lectured and called out in practice EXCEPT McNabb, who some said they had never seen Reid talk down on in any way..... McNabb most likely will be cut at the end of this season.
These things do not compute...unless they're also going to get rid of Reid?
There's more important people in the front office than Reid... if many of them want McNabb gone - Reid might not have much of a choice.Also it could also just be that Reid doesn't know how to yell at McNabb (out of it being a habit to not yell at him)... OR I know that sounds strange, but if you've been with a player for 6 years and are starting to think he's losing his talent - what is yelling at him going to do? other than hurt his fragile ego even more? If he does view him as a fortunate son, but still thinks his beter days are behind him and it's time to move on - that can be a hard thing to face...

I still find it hard to Reid to sit McNabb. It is true he is like the son that never does any wrong and the whole TO thing showed the locker room split. It is a shame it has come to this but his blind ego is causing alot of problems. Especially after another dose of his black quarterback dribble that was just aired.

He always been considered, to some black people, the uncle tom of the organization. It looks as if he is personally trying to get rid of that label. By doing this though he is starting to alienate ALOT of people.

There is more problems then just that though. The front offices complete disregard of the team. They knew going into the season he would not be at 100% It was impossible and they still let garcia go. There is no doubt that McNabb should have not started the season and another QB ( Garcia ) should have until the bye week. Now they painted themselves into a corner. Not just in the QB area but with alot of things. From the return game to depth at DB ( they carried 3 safeties 4 DBs ).

Its a big old mess and alot focuses around Reids over treatment of McNabb all these years.

McNabb is one of the best QBs this franchise has had. The city loves him but if things like this keep happening, they are going to get tired of it. Its already starting to happen. His ego & Reids special treatment of him over the years will be the donwfall. He feels he isnt appreciated, he is criticized no matter how good he does. Reids treatment over the years turned McNabb soft when it came to people questioning his talent & if he should be playing right now.

One is stubborn as a mule and has the owner in his back pocket. The other has a blind ego and preception of what people think of him.

This is really a silly thing to even discuss. If the Eagles make the playoffs and McNabb stays healthy, they absolutely won't cut him. If they miss the playoffs (a distinct possibility at this juncture), I think both sides will agree it's time to make a change. Unless you have a crystal ball, proclaiming he WILL or WON'T is just absurd.

Philadelphia sports writers just drool all over themselves when writing something like this. I just don't buy it. Granted, McNabb played awful on Monday night, but the guy isn't a bum, and his receivers can't get separation from anything that breathes. It also doesn't make sense that he would go and Reid would stay. I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the season and see, but unless the Eagles keep losing big I just don't see it.

Do the Eagles really believe that Kolb is the future for next year? This team is a mess. I agree with what Wilbon said on PTI today- SPEND SOME $$$ AND BUY SOME PLAYERS (WRs maybe?). Also, hand the ball off to Westbrook! McNabb is the least of this team's problems.

The timing of his terrible second week on MNF and his HBO interview is incredible. You couldn't have planned a worst pr week for him.

I would love for him to go to the Seahawks......Eagle fans need to lighten up on him. ALthough he will probably go to the Bears and they will then win the Super Bowl.
Yup. He'd certainly make them a strong favorite. I'd love to see him go to Green Bay if Favre retired but I highly doubt Ted Thompson would show interest given his passive approach as a GM.

My take is that it's WIP. Basically I trust almost nothing they report - and it really almost doesn't matter who reports it.Yes, they have some guys who get good info sometimes, but on the whole, rumormongering and speculation to show off their inside contacts and rile up callers are the order of business.
I think most of the hosts on WIP (besides Howard) don't really break news much... and make it clear most the time they're just giving opinion... Howard is the Eagles lapdog, so of course he's going to get info to break on his show (even though it's rarely that important) But as far as i can think of - most of the time the 'other' contributors to the shows are who break the stuff... G Cobb is reliable in my eyes.... and i highly doubt he'd be saying stuff just to rumormonger...

The way the Trotter thing was taken in the locker room, I think most of the older veteran Eagles know their time is coming. Dawkins as much said that. Personally, I think if the Eagles don't make the playoffs McNabb will be let go.

Anyone that has played football knows that most of the time there are "special" players that get "special" treatment. That issus is a non issue really.

I do think the "Brass" is mad over the Bryant Gumbel interview though.

I can't wait for McNabb to get the #### out of Philly - they don't deserve him.
So you are telling me you would want him starting on your team right now the way it is? When you are expected to go into the season as a division winner or wildcard team? Have you seen his play the past two weeks? He actually BOUNCED passes 5yds in front of his receivers. This city doesn't want him playing if he is hurt. It will only set himself up to get hurt worse. That is the last thing we want.

1) That the players in the locker room do not rally behind him because Andy Reid treats him like a fortunate son. Apparently players in the locker room have expressed their anger towards the fact that everyone on the team gets lectured and called out in practice EXCEPT McNabb, who some said they had never seen Reid talk down on in any way.

2) According to several people within the Eagles organization that Cobb has contact with - McNabb most likely will be cut at the end of this season. Besides the players and fans beginning to turn on him - he's also began to be his own PR man and ignore the Eagles request to only do interviews they approve of. His outright disregard for their attempts to get him to be more of a company player has infuriated many of the Eagles brass.

---

My take: Cobb is reliable and well respected among the philadelphia sports community. If he's willing to go on WIP and say something like 'McNabb WILL be cut after this season' then i imagine that he's heard that from a pretty important person(s). However, he could be used as a pawn to motivate McNabb, but given McNabbs history of over-trying in situations where he's being motivated - i can't imagine they'd risk making him even more mad.

So i guess this could mean there's a chance McNabb gets benched later in the season, especially if they're out of the playoff hunt.

Take it as you want...
This post is absolutely worthless. McNabb isn't going anywhere and G. Cobb is a moron. Linton, if G. Cobb is such a "well respected" source, then why would he let himself be used a pawn by the Eagles to motivate McNabb? Enough said

---

Take it as you want...
This post is absolutely worthless. McNabb isn't going anywhere and G. Cobb is a moron. Linton, if G. Cobb is such a "well respected" source, then why would he let himself be used a pawn by the Eagles to motivate McNabb? Enough said
I could definitely see McNabb out of here if this season doesn't turn around pretty fast. He's not going to sit on the bench next year while Kolb starts.

If he plays like Monday night he should be. All his throws were off. But if you watch him play he isnt close to 100%..Not sure if he should be starting. He isnt planting his feet at all when he throws. And after a deep ball he limps pretty bad.

:confused: It's completely irrelevent at this point, and as was pointed out above the two claims, (1), that McNabb is the favored son, (2), that he is a renegade, are not consistent. Yes, I suppose these reporter could have spoken to someone higher in the food chain than Reid like the GM or owner, but would people like that really be telling some nobody reporter that they intend to cut McNabb next year? What purpose would leaking such information now serve?
This is really a silly thing to even discuss. If the Eagles make the playoffs and McNabb stays healthy, they absolutely won't cut him. If they miss the playoffs (a distinct possibility at this juncture), I think both sides will agree it's time to make a change. Unless you have a crystal ball, proclaiming he WILL or WON'T is just absurd.

It wouldn't completely shock me, due to the decision to draft Kolb with a top 40 pick...not likely, but I do smell the smoke...

So you are telling me you would want him starting on your team right now the way it is? When you are expected to go into the season as a division winner or wildcard team? Have you seen his play the past two weeks? He actually BOUNCED passes 5yds in front of his receivers. This city doesn't want him playing if he is hurt. It will only set himself up to get hurt worse. That is the last thing we want.
He was fine game 1 (they should have won), but yes, he sucked last week. I agree they shouldn't have started him week 1, but they way they go after him for one bad game is ridiculous. It's not up to him if he starts or not, it's Reid and he's the one who should be getting the blame for the losses.

Thing about takling to Reid is its the same lines all the time. You should see his press conferences after games..wins or losses it is the same. Its painful to watch sometimes.

---

Take it as you want...
as i said, it is possible...however, this is McNabb... who is not a typical player...

when challenged - he tends to DO WORSE...

when the pressure is on - he tends to DO WORSE...

if they were trying to motivate him, the best things it seems they could do is to tell him he's doing great and that he'll be in philadelphia the rest of his career...

the worst thing they could do is make it seem like he's close to losing his job...

He was fine game 1 (they should have won), but yes, he sucked last week. I agree they shouldn't have started him week 1, but they way they go after him for one bad game is ridiculous. It's not up to him if he starts or not, it's Reid and he's the one who should be getting the blame for the losses.
Reid is getting alot of blame for it. Main thing is for starting him when McNabb said himself he is at 75%. They know how bad that injury was and are putting McNabb in a lose lose situation. McNabb isnt helping things with alot of his comments either

Maybe TO is more like a rash than a cancer. Maybe the cancers are still hidden on the Eagles roster.

McNabb is recovering from surgery (albeit again) and his wide receivers suck open ###.

In a few weeks his errant passes will be minimized, but Curtis, Brown and LJ will still not be getting open.

I'm not too surprised by this. They just drafted a QB with a high pick. McNabb has a history of injury. John Hansen predicted on his site today that he'd be on the Bears next season, and he's the best fantasy guy out there, IMO (Sorry fellas).

Just to play along...Even if the determination is made that McNabb is not the in the team's plans for '08 why the hell would they cut him when he is apparently a very tradeable commodity? Futhermore, even if they were to trade him what makes Bears' fans think they would be so eager to trade him to a contender within the conference?

Just to play along...Even if the determination is made that McNabb is not the in the team's plans for '08 why the hell would they cut him when he is apparently a very tradeable commodity? Futhermore, even if they were to trade him what makes Bears' fans think they would be so eager to trade him to a contender within the conference?
Why did they release Corey Simon and Jeremiah Trotter? :thumbdown:

I'm not too surprised by this. They just drafted a QB with a high pick. McNabb has a history of injury. John Hansen predicted on his site today that he'd be on the Bears next season, and he's the best fantasy guy out there, IMO (Sorry fellas).
John Hansen? You have got to be kidding me. OOH I'm sure he's real piped in. :thumbdown:

i believe he'll be making something like 8-9 million next year... at 31 with a history of injuries, causing problems, and being childishly egotistical - i don't think he has as much trade value as one would think...

One little complication though to this theory, Reid is the GM and if he loves him so much who's gonna release McNabb?

Why did they release Corey Simon and Jeremiah Trotter? :thumbdown:
As if those are even close to being comparable. :cry:

One little complication though to this theory, Reid is the GM and if he loves him so much who's gonna release McNabb?
there's a lot of GMs who make moves they don't want to make... especially when they're a slash (/coach in this example)and like i said earlier - maybe Reid feels that it wouldn't help any at this point to get on McNabb and that he needs to start over fresh with a new QB... i believe trotter was in a similar boat...

Why did they release Corey Simon and Jeremiah Trotter? :football:
As if those are even close to being comparable. :popcorn:
they both had trade value. Maybe more than McNabb since they're not locker room problems. Besides, with how GOD AWFUL McNabb has looked this year compounded with his ego and injury history, not sure how many teams are tripping over themselves to get him.If the season continues like this McNabb won't be the starter next year. Kolb will be. If that happens, McNabb is not going to sit on the bench. If thats the case, why trade for someone you know is going to be released? Isn't that somewhat similar to what happened with Owens?

The HBO interview sure didn't help his cause. Why in the world, would a leader of a football team, get himself caught up in something that could divide his team? Didn't TO question his leadership? I can't recall, cause I don't much listen to TO, but if he did, maybe this lack of leadership thing has legs.

there's a lot of GMs who make moves they don't want to make... especially when they're a slash (/coach in this example)and like i said earlier - maybe Reid feels that it wouldn't help any at this point to get on McNabb and that he needs to start over fresh with a new QB... i believe trotter was in a similar boat...
It will never happen, McNabb is BY FAR the best player on the team. Ya, he may be a prima dona but if every prima dona were cut there would be a lot of out of work players.

Users who are viewing this thread