What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kiper's big board - 2007-2008 Edition (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
Big Board - Oct 1st

1. Glenn Dorsey Sr. DT LSU

2. Jake Long Sr. T Michigan

3. Chris Long Sr. DE Virginia

4. Brian Brohm Sr. QB Louisville

5. Sedrick Ellis Sr. DT USC

6. Andre' Woodson Sr. QB Kentucky

7. Matt Ryan Sr. QB Boston College

8. Frank Okam Sr. DT Texas

9. Quentin Groves Sr. DE Auburn

10. Dan Connor Sr. LB Penn State

11. Sam Baker Sr. T USC

12. Gosder Cherilus Sr. T Boston College

13. Keith Rivers Sr. LB USC

14. Early Doucet Sr. WR LSU

15. Mike Jenkins Sr. CB South Florida

16. Adarius Bowman Sr. WR Oklahoma State

17. Harry Douglas Sr. WR Louisville

18. Shawn Crable Sr. OLB/DE Michigan

19. Limas Sweed Sr. WR Texas

20. DeJuan Tribble Sr. CB Boston College

21. Kentwan Balmer Sr. DT North Carolina

22. Ali Highsmith Sr. LB LSU

23. Kellen Davis Sr. TE Michigan St.

24. Bruce Davis Sr. LB UCLA

25. Lawrence Jackson Sr. DE USC

Dropped Off:

Tashard Choice

Chris Williams
Seniors only at thist point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two guys that made themselves a lot more money by staying in school are Jake Long, Sam Baker, and Glen Dorsey.

Long & Baker looked mostly ready to enter the NFL last year, but their on-field performances have elevated them by a good 5-10 spots.

Edit: Brohm too. He could be the #1 overall pick this year.

No RBs in the top 25. Anybody have a list of the top RBs who are likely to come out early? I'm way behind on my rookie research for my dynasty leagues because of school.

Two guys that made themselves a lot more money by staying in school are Jake Long, Sam Baker, and Glen Dorsey.

Long & Baker looked mostly ready to enter the NFL last year, but their on-field performances have elevated them by a good 5-10 spots.

Reading that probably made me laugh more than it should have.

No RBs in the top 25. Anybody have a list of the top RBs who are likely to come out early? I'm way behind on my rookie research for my dynasty leagues because of school.
Off the top of my head...Johnathan StewartMcFaddenRay Rice - overratedSlaton - overratedJamaal CharlesJames Davis

yeah, as of now it's not looking like a great rookie draft for dynasty fantasy football leagues. At least not at the top of the draft. There are no WR's in the top 10 and no RB's in the top 25.

Rashard Mendenhall(6 feet, 210 pounds) from Illinois5* recruit coming out of highschool who has been dominating the opposition this season with opponents stacking the line against the Illini rushing attack. He has all the tools NFL teams are looking for nowadays...check him out this weekend versus Wisconsin. I expect him to be a fine NFL starting RB regardless of the system he ends up in.

Why are YOU doing research? Seriously, you're no NFL talent scout. Don't even waste your time, instead do well in school. Let NFL scouts do the legwork, let NFL teams draft their players, then YOU draft rookies accordingly. Again, I repeat YOU are no scout, don't pretend to be one. Study your school work.

Why are YOU doing research? Seriously, you're no NFL talent scout. Don't even waste your time, instead do well in school. Let NFL scouts do the legwork, let NFL teams draft their players, then YOU draft rookies accordingly. Again, I repeat YOU are no scout, don't pretend to be one. Study your school work.
:bigDADdykane:

I pray every night that the Dolphins end up in a position to draft Jake Long...

and that there are no Punt Returners on the board at the time.

I pray every night that the Dolphins end up in a position to draft Jake Long...and that there are no Punt Returners on the board at the time.
Meh, it's a crapshoot at best. People talked like that about Robert Gallery, D'Brick Ferguson, etc. An O-linemen is aways hyped up, and the return on investment is lukewarm at best in most recent cases.

yeah, as of now it's not looking like a great rookie draft for dynasty fantasy football leagues. At least not at the top of the draft. There are no WR's in the top 10 and no RB's in the top 25.
It is not a very deep class considering only the seniors. When including the underclassmen that are expected to come out early, rookie drafts will be loaded!!

Baker played nowhere near his reputation last year and it was no secret by the last couple of games when he needed TE and RB help on almost every passing down. He was graded so poorly by his own coaches that he never considered the draft after what happened to Fred Matua (who came out early and got cut). Baker has much to prove this year and so far I give him a B, mostly for effort.

I still think Dorsey could end up as the #1 pick. As long as it is not a team running a base 3-4, Dorsey will play, lift, measure and grade himself into that slot.

I dont understand the Sweed love. He's way too inconsistent for my liking - he doesn't do any of the little things well, and he doesnt have the speed to make up for a lack of fundamentals. He's like Dwayne Jarrett without the hands, toughness, and body control, or Plaxico Burress without the playmaking killer instinct.

Sigmund Bloom said:
I dont understand the Sweed love. He's way too inconsistent for my liking - he doesn't do any of the little things well, and he doesnt have the speed to make up for a lack of fundamentals. He's like Dwayne Jarrett without the hands, toughness, and body control, or Plaxico Burress without the playmaking killer instinct.
Seems like Texas is on almost every week, so I have seen him plenty, but I hesitate to disagree with you especially on someone there in your backyard. Here's some things that impress me. He started in 33 consecutive games before the wrist injury and played through several nagging injuries-- pretty tough I think. He clocked a 4.50 at a Pro Day for Juniors-- fast enough. He finished fourth in the state 110M high hurdles and was a hoops star-- fast and athletic. The catch he made to beat the Buckeyes in the big house as a sophomore has never left me. It shapes my opinion of him being a big time playmaker and having clutch quality. He also broke Roy Williams record for consecutive games with a TD-- consistent. He's always been good when I have watched him but I have the feeling I am too high on him. Including juniors I ranked him 30th. Scout.com's ex NFL scout Tom Marino ranks him 8th in the whole class, so I have good company if I have him wrong.

Sigmund Bloom said:
I can't decide if he looks "effortless" or "sluggish" to me. I'm leaning toward the latter.

gianmarco said:

Reading that probably made me laugh more than it should have.
:bag: I meant for that to only apply to long and Baker. Not sure why I threw Dorsey in there. Although I could change the beginning from two to three and it would be accurate as Dorsey has improved his stock as well.

WhoDat said:
I still think Dorsey could end up as the #1 pick. As long as it is not a team running a base 3-4, Dorsey will play, lift, measure and grade himself into that slot.
When was the last time a DT went #1 overall? I really don't know - I'm just asking.Edit: Found it. Nice run for DT's in the early 90's (The numbers are years played and Pro Bowls).1994 Dan Wilkinson DT Ohio State Cincinnati Bengals 13 0 1992 Steve Emtman DT Washington Indianapolis Colts 8 0 1991 Russell Maryland DT Miami, (Fla.) Dallas Cowboys 10 1

Sigmund Bloom said:
Sweed is the type of guy that doesn't even make my draft board no matter what team he goes to. Like Meachem and Jarrett.

Two guys that made themselves a lot more money by staying in school are Jake Long, Sam Baker, and Glen Dorsey.Long & Baker looked mostly ready to enter the NFL last year, but their on-field performances have elevated them by a good 5-10 spots.Edit: Brohm too. He could be the #1 overall pick this year.
Okam was supposedly set to leave as well....Is this the 3-4 DT the Jets Need?6'5'' 320.... More room to grow?

BTW, I think it's great that we're talking college football prospects in October...doesn't happen often enough in this forum. :rolleyes:

Rashard Mendenhall(6 feet, 210 pounds) from Illinois5* recruit coming out of highschool who has been dominating the opposition this season with opponents stacking the line against the Illini rushing attack. He has all the tools NFL teams are looking for nowadays...check him out this weekend versus Wisconsin. I expect him to be a fine NFL starting RB regardless of the system he ends up in.
The Illini coaches are praying that this guy does not declare early. There is not much buzz on him yet, but there will be.

WhoDat said:
When was the last time a DT went #1 overall? I really don't know - I'm just asking.Edit: Found it. Nice run for DT's in the early 90's (The numbers are years played and Pro Bowls).1994 Dan Wilkinson DT Ohio State Cincinnati Bengals 13 0 1992 Steve Emtman DT Washington Indianapolis Colts 8 0 1991 Russell Maryland DT Miami, (Fla.) Dallas Cowboys 10 1
It is going to depend on the situation and variables like "signability;" scheme; rating and, of course, team need. If a historically thrifty team that already has a QB in their stable should somehow get that pick, Dorsey could be the guy. I know people love the skill position players but...Franchise DT are hard to come by and Dorsey looks to be cut in the mold of a T. Harris. Lots of ball left to be played but I would not be shocked if Dorsey landed in that slot.

Franchise DT are hard to come by and Dorsey looks to be cut in the mold of a T. Harris. Lots of ball left to be played but I would not be shocked if Dorsey landed in that slot.
It wouldn't surprise me either. In the little bit I've seen him play, he does look like the proverbial "Man among boys."

Franchise DT are hard to come by and Dorsey looks to be cut in the mold of a T. Harris. Lots of ball left to be played but I would not be shocked if Dorsey landed in that slot.
It wouldn't surprise me either. In the little bit I've seen him play, he does look like the proverbial "Man among boys."
I just remember reading study results, which my dad was involved with, that polled high school, college and NFL coaches. There was a hypothetical question that asked...If you could have your choice of a no doubt about it, can't miss, blue chip DT, RB or QB, which would you take?Nobody selected the running back and it was split down the middle between the DT and QB.Strangers things have happened but it would not be a shocker.

wondering if anyone else has seen this guy Omar Cuff play?

i live in the tri-state area and get CN8, which plays CAA conference games...

This guy has 18 TDs in 5 games (and is being pulled in the 2nd half in most games)

looks unstoppable against these defenses... guess coming from a 1-AA school will hurt his draft position... but i watch a lot of college ball and think this kid is real...

Jake Long isn't all he's cracked up to be. He's looked very stiff so far this season. If he goes top 5 it's too high. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall down to about 10 after all is said and done.

The Illini coaches are praying that this guy does not declare early. There is not much buzz on him yet, but there will be.
Another good week for him.

Off the top of my head...Johnathan StewartMcFaddenRay Rice - overratedSlaton - overratedJamaal CharlesJames Davis
Darren McFadden leads the class, of seniors and underclassmen. If any of those are overrated, I'd say it's Jamaal Charles. He is a track guy playing football. People will love his speed, and he could be decent as a change of pace runner and maybe learn to be a kick returner, but he lacks the instincts and elusiveness to be a feature back. I don't think Rice is overrated and Slaton is only overrated in terms of what his NFL upside may be b/c of his frame. I can't figure out exactly what I don't like about Jonathan Stewart, but he's definitely deserves to be up there. With his size/speed and kick return ability, he'll be a hot commodity. I think James Davis is pretty ordinary.A couple guys I'd add, starting with Felix Jones. It won't be Cadillac and Ronnie Brown, but Arkansas could have two first round RBs. Think about the Colts late in the first round, with his kick return ability, that he can catch a ball, and the fact they're thin behind Addai, Jones would be a great fit. Kevin Smith has pushed himself in to the discussion out of nowhere and Rashard Mendenhall has shown the talent that was suppressed the last two years. He isn't having the season he had last year, which was unrealistic to expect, but Ian Johnson should still be mentioned. There will be plenty of fluke year/gimmick offense criticisms, but I think he will find success in the NFL.

1. Brohm will be the 3rd QB taken. (Woodson, Ryan)

2. I'm beginning to think Dorsey is the #1 pick, but that's mostly based on the teams that stink so far not needing a QB.

3. McFadden is top-10 when he declares, but I think the FF mindset has many folks overvaluing him. Peterson went 7th....regardless of injury concerns, Peterson was the best between the tackles prospect in forever, and he went 7th.

4. Jamal Charles will be a 3rd round steal for someone. Texas isn't running very well, especially up the gut, but Charles is a very good player.

5. Not buying the Sweed love either, but this is a thin WR draft.

6. Okam is playing his way in to the top-15.

GordonGekko said:
Here's the complication I see. The Pats own the 49ers #1 pick correct? I.E. NE lost it's own 1st rounder over CameraGate but didn't lose the 49ers pick. The 49ers don't look very good this season. I don't think they will look good period this year. The Cowboys own the Browns #1 pick correct? I.E. in the Brady Quinn trade. The Browns don't look so hot this year and its conceivable they will tank badly the rest of the way. I'm starting wonder if the Cowboys and Pats both get high picks in this next draft, and they are both legit Super Bowl contenders right now, how will that shake up the order of things? Both teams have franchise QBs and Barber and Maroney look like they can be productive given health and opportunity. Will they trade down? Will they go after one of the marquee backs? Will Angry Bill gun for yet another heavy hitter on the D line? Do they even want to pay the cap cost of what signing those high picks would be? I think the ripple effect is some of these QB prospects will drop a bit further down. Teams that might not normally do poorly enough to get a shot at a good QB prospect might luck out next year in the draft.
I think that despite my affection for Andre Woodson, Matt Ryan is looking like the only QB who can rise to "wow, this guy is worth the #1 pick!" status. If NE or Dallas ends up with the pick, I think it's Dorsey. If Kansas City or even Miami ends up with the 1, which is very possible, then they have to go QB (even w/ J. Beck on board in Miami). Could Miami go for an OT? Sure. Could Dallas grab an O-lineman? Maybe. But I think the pool of possible #1 overall guys is dwindling quickly. Outside of Dorsey - who doesn't play a marquee position - I haven't seen anyone this season that compares to Vince YOung, Jamarcus Russell, Carson Palmer. As an aside, if the Pats end up in the top-5, I think they'd almost certainly trade down.

Not sure of the date, but it is updated:

1. Glenn Dorsey Sr. DT LSU 2. Jake Long Sr. OT Michigan 3. Matt Ryan Sr. QB Boston College 4. Chris Long Sr. DE Virginia 5. Sedrick Ellis Sr. DT USC 6. Brian Brohm Sr. QB Louisville 7. Dan Connor Sr. LB Penn State 8. Andre' Woodson Sr. QB Kentucky 9. Mike Jenkins Sr. CB South Florida 10. Ali Highsmith Sr. LB LSU 11. Chevis Jackson Sr. CB LSU 12. Kentwan Balmer Sr. DT UNC 13. Sam Baker Sr. OT USC 14. Gosder Cherilus Sr. OT Boston College 15. Lavelle Hawkins Sr. WR Cal 16. Tony Hills Sr. OT Texas 17. Keith Rivers Sr. LB LSU 18. Quentin Groves Sr. DE Auburn 19. DeJuan Tribble Sr. CB Boston College 20. Lawrence Jackson Sr. DE USC 21. Eric Young Sr. OL Tennessee 22. Darrell Robertson Sr. DE Georgia Tech 23. Kellen Davis Sr. TE Michigan St. 24. Shawn Crable Sr. DE/OLB Michigan 25. Frank Okam Sr. DT Texas Dropped Off Early Doucet Limas Sweed
Both WRs dropped off due to injury, I'd guess. Doucet belonged and still does. I still don't think Sweed did or does.

Wow...what happened to the RB and WR positions?3 QBs0 RBs1 WR1 TE
I was thinking the same re: RBs. I don't follow the college ranks that closely, but I thought it was supposed to be a solid 2008 RB class.
His list only includes seniors at this point. Aren't most of the best RBs juniors?Edit: Yes. McFadden, Slaton, and Stewart are all juniors.

Another update:

1. Glenn Dorsey Sr. DT LSU 2. Jake Long Sr. OT Michigan 3. Matt Ryan Sr. QB Boston College 4. Chris Long Sr. DE Virginia 5. Sedrick Ellis Sr. DT USC 6. Brian Brohm Sr. QB Louisville 7. Dan Connor Sr. LB Penn State 8. Andre' Woodson Sr. QB Kentucky 9. Mike Jenkins Sr. CB South Florida 10. Quentin Groves Sr. DE Auburn (Up 8) 11. Ali Highsmith Sr. LB LSU (Down 1) 12. Kentwan Balmer Sr. DT UNC 13. Gosder Cherilus Sr. OT Boston College (Up 1)14. Lavelle Hawkins Sr. WR Cal (Up 1) 15. Lawrence Jackson Sr. DE USC (Up 5) 16. Jeff Otah Sr. OT Pittsburgh (New) 17. Keith Rivers Sr. LB LSU 18. DeJuan Tribble Sr. CB Boston College(Up 1) 19. Sam Baker Sr. OT USC (Down 6) 20. Chevis Jackson Sr. CB LSU (Down 9) 21. Eric Young Sr. OL Tennessee 22. Early Doucet Sr. WR LSU (New) 23. Darrell Robertson Sr. DE Georgia Tech (Down 1)24. DJ Hall Sr. WR Alabama (New) 25. Cody Wallace Sr. C Texas A&M (New) Dropped Tony Hills Kellen Davis Shawn Crable Frank Okam
What's going on with Okam? I thought he was playing well and moving UP the boards, not down.Big Risers - Quentin Groves, Lawrence Jackson Big Fallers - Sam Baker, Chevis JacksonNew - Jeff Otah, DJ Hall, Cody Wallace, Early Doucet (back in top 25 again)

it's too tough at this point to properly analize the Draft without including the top Juniors.

Only a little more than half of the guys on this list will be 1st RD picks.

it's too tough at this point to properly analize the Draft without including the top Juniors.Only a little more than half of the guys on this list will be 1st RD picks.
Very true. But since no underclassmen have declared yet, we can at least talk about these guys.

Looks like a couple years ago when SF when stuck with the #1 pick. Not a true stud franchise player to grab there.
I'm not sure about that. When all is said and done, Dorsey, and Jake and Chris Long may all in position to make a major impact. Chris Long is playing better than Mario Williams was to years ago.And after Matt Ryan's comback victory last night, he may have the "it" factor to be a good NFL QB.

I pray every night that the Dolphins end up in a position to draft Jake Long...and that there are no Punt Returners on the board at the time.
Meh, it's a crapshoot at best. People talked like that about Robert Gallery, D'Brick Ferguson, etc. An O-linemen is aways hyped up, and the return on investment is lukewarm at best in most recent cases.
Read the book "The Blind Side" and you will have a better understanding why teams will always take a chance on landing the next great LT (Left Tackle). Other then the QB, having a good, if not great, Left Tackle is the next important thing to have on a team.

GordonGekko said:
Here's the complication I see. The Pats own the 49ers #1 pick correct? I.E. NE lost it's own 1st rounder over CameraGate but didn't lose the 49ers pick. The 49ers don't look very good this season. I don't think they will look good period this year. The Cowboys own the Browns #1 pick correct? I.E. in the Brady Quinn trade. The Browns don't look so hot this year and its conceivable they will tank badly the rest of the way. I'm starting wonder if the Cowboys and Pats both get high picks in this next draft, and they are both legit Super Bowl contenders right now, how will that shake up the order of things? Both teams have franchise QBs and Barber and Maroney look like they can be productive given health and opportunity. Will they trade down? Will they go after one of the marquee backs? Will Angry Bill gun for yet another heavy hitter on the D line? Do they even want to pay the cap cost of what signing those high picks would be? I think the ripple effect is some of these QB prospects will drop a bit further down. Teams that might not normally do poorly enough to get a shot at a good QB prospect might luck out next year in the draft.
The Patriots will go with the best LB on the board. If they dont go LB, they will go with another player on the D side of the ball. "Angry Bill" always builds his teams from the defensive side of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread