What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE RB Situation (1 Viewer)

Steelnation

Footballguy
Ok so Maroney is injured (what is the injury) and possibly badmouthing BB....

Faulk left with a head injury....

Morris is on IR?

So who do you grab Evans or Eckel?

What is going on in NE's back field?

:mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
They were probably just being cautious with Maroney. No need to put him back in that game. Faulk had a head injury. Im assuming concussion cuz he fumbled the ball on that play.

The gossip (and I repeat it's gossip) is BB and the coaching staff benched Maroney against Buffalo. They are getting very frustrated with his continued tapdancing. They want him to hit the hole harder (like Morris was doing) but he's just not doing it.

The gossip (and I repeat it's gossip) is BB and the coaching staff benched Maroney against Buffalo. They are getting very frustrated with his continued tapdancing. They want him to hit the hole harder (like Morris was doing) but he's just not doing it.
Seriously. Maroney is not a good RB. But Yudkin will come in here and spout about his YPC.

Seriously. Maroney is not a good RB. But Yudkin will come in here and spout about his YPC.
LOL. I suggested the other day that Maroney *COULD* be in danger of losing his job and the Pats may look for another RB for next year (but I guess you missed that part).All I said was that his ypc is pretty good and has been better than what the rest of the team had done in recent years. If you have followed my comments since Maroney came into the league, I suggested he had happy feet, took too many losses, and otherwise many times didnot play tough and drop his (good) shoulder to move the pile for a few yards rather than try to run around for a 5 yard loss. I have no man love for Maroney for a variety of reasons, but he has not exactly been a total failure when he's been on the field.

LOL. I suggested the other day that Maroney *COULD* be in danger of losing his job and the Pats may look for another RB for next year (but I guess you missed that part).All I said was that his ypc is pretty good and has been better than what the rest of the team had done in recent years. If you have followed my comments since Maroney came into the league, I suggested he had happy feet, took too many losses, and otherwise many times didnot play tough and drop his (good) shoulder to move the pile for a few yards rather than try to run around for a 5 yard loss. I have no man love for Maroney for a variety of reasons, but he has not exactly been a total failure when he's been on the field.
I did miss that thread. Then Im confused why you were arguing with me in the other thread when I said he was a bad RB.

I think he's a good RB but he might not be the ideal RB for the Pats system.Maroney's success comes from taking risks in the backfield and trying to make a couple of cuts to free himself. He's a real risk/reward type of back.The Pats want their RBs to run draws most of the time. No cuts. Just hit the hole and accelerate to daylight.I'm thinking more and more that McFadden to the Pats makes a TON of sense next year in the draft. He's much more of a north-south runner than Maroney and seems much more decisive to pick a hole and go.

Why dont they just use Morris next year? Seemed like a better fit and before getting hurt was running real hard.

I did miss that thread. Then Im confused why you were arguing with me in the other thread when I said he was a bad RB.
I don't think he's a bad running back, but his constant nagging injuries and his seeming unwillingness to drive into the pile makes him tough to use as an every down, every situation back. He really hasn't had many receiving opportunities and works best in the open field, but the Pats scheme does not have a lot of sweeps and off tackle plays. So IMO it's not a great fit between the two.As I mentioned in the other thread (that you missed), there have been internal rumblings about Maroney's health (or lack there of) stemming back from last year, and I am pretty sure that those rumblings have not subsided given his limited performance opportunities this year.

My point in posting his ypc numbers was to show that NE really has not been a great system for RBs as you suggested. Inthe past, they have had a couple of season with a fair amount of rushing TD, but it's clear this year that they are more apt to pass for TD than run for them.

Why dont they just use Morris next year? Seemed like a better fit and before getting hurt was running real hard.
But he's also going to be 31 years old next season with a history of being a part time player. McFadden is a much better long term choice.

:angry: Morris was solid.
THe other thing to remember is that the fantasy universe was quick to tout Maroney as the heir apparent to Dillon, but Belichick never said Maroney was going to be the every down, every situation back. In fact, he commented on this to the press several times and pimped Morris as someone that was going to play.I think part of that was to motivate Tatum Bell, but I am wondering at what point did the team really start wondering what role Maroney would fill and how much they planned on utilizing Morris.The story I have been told several times is that the plan all along this season was to increase Maroney's workload across the second half of the season to get him primed for a full time workload heading into the post season (using the premise that you need a good running game to win). Given Maroney's injuries and the Pats' success passing, I wonder where that leaves them now.

I poked around and am hearing that Faulk most likely had a concussion and we'll have to see how severe it was and if there are any lingering after effects. He may or may not be able to go this week, as concussions are tough to decipher.

Maroney appears to have only had a minor injury and with the team up 100 to 2 or whatever the score was they felt that there was no need to risk sending him back in and risk further injuries. I'm not 100% buying that that was the full reason he wasn't playing, but that's what I'm hearing. My guy openly questioned in Maroney is hurt, so there may be a lot more to this story (although speculative at best at this point).

So I suspect Maroney will be fine and may not even be on the injury report (and if he is he will likely be listed as probable).

That's the best I can offer for right now, although as I always I will monitor this throughout the week.

Fantasy wise, has there even been a Pats RB worth starting in any week this year? I know Morris did ok a few games, but overall I can't recall any single guy really making a fantasy impact. I mention this because people may want to latch on to Evans if Maroney and Faulk can't go or may be limited, but at this point we may have to conclude that no Pats RB is really worth playing (although I still hold out hope that Maroney will at some point be healthy enough and see the ball enough to do something).

Admittedly I haven't seen Maroney play an extensive amount. The times I have seen him play, I have been impressed. Hypothetically, if the Pats were to part ways with Maroney - his career would likely take off somewhere else. He seems to have all the tools and abilities needed to excel at the rb position.

Patriots | Dillon would like to return to team

Published Tue Nov 20 12:08:00 p.m. ET 2007

(KFFL) Christopher L. Gasper, of the Boston Globe, reports retired RB Corey Dillon would come out of retirement if he had a chance to rejoin the New England Patriots, according to his agent, Steve Feldman. Dillon has been working out with a trainer at home for over a month, and the Patriots are filled with question marks in their backfield after reported injuries to RB Laurence Maroney (foot) and Kevin Faulk (head) in Week 11. However, Feldman said the team has yet to contact Dillon. "If they needed him, he'd be more than happy to come back and help," said Feldman. "At this point, they aren't in a position that they feel they need him."

David Yudkin said:
I poked around and am hearing that Faulk most likely had a concussion and we'll have to see how severe it was and if there are any lingering after effects. He may or may not be able to go this week, as concussions are tough to decipher.Maroney appears to have only had a minor injury and with the team up 100 to 2 or whatever the score was they felt that there was no need to risk sending him back in and risk further injuries. I'm not 100% buying that that was the full reason he wasn't playing, but that's what I'm hearing. My guy openly questioned in Maroney is hurt, so there may be a lot more to this story (although speculative at best at this point).So I suspect Maroney will be fine and may not even be on the injury report (and if he is he will likely be listed as probable).That's the best I can offer for right now, although as I always I will monitor this throughout the week.Fantasy wise, has there even been a Pats RB worth starting in any week this year? I know Morris did ok a few games, but overall I can't recall any single guy really making a fantasy impact. I mention this because people may want to latch on to Evans if Maroney and Faulk can't go or may be limited, but at this point we may have to conclude that no Pats RB is really worth playing (although I still hold out hope that Maroney will at some point be healthy enough and see the ball enough to do something).
Thanks David. IMO, there are definitely points to be had from this position. Last week NE RBs ran for over 100 yards and 2 scores. Could that have been mostly Maroney if he stayed in? I think that it is a possibility.

funniest thing i heard after this weeks games

reporter to Maroney "were you hurt too badly to return to the game" [/paraphrased]

Maroney to reporter "not that i know of"

:thumbup:

belichik is in their heads LOL

With the Pats playing a late game this week, I doubt we will get any information on his status before late in the day Sunday. Anyone think any different?

knowledge dropper said:
With the Pats playing a late game this week, I doubt we will get any information on his status before late in the day Sunday. Anyone think any different?
I will get people the most likely outcome long before then.

This is great news for Brady, Moss and Welker owners. This RB problem just means they will pass even more!! :sadbanana:

Something tells me McFadden won't last to the late 1st, so do the Patty's have another pick to get a RB with?

Also, I see Maroney as a nice buy low. Even if he sits on the tapdancing shelf in New England for a couple years, he's extremely young with a great deal of talent. His value right now is dropping below LenDale White, which would have gotten you kicked off this board to say a year ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Something tells me McFadden won't last to the late 1st, so do the Patty's have another pick to get a RB with? Also, I see Maroney as a nice buy low. Even if he sits on the tapdancing shelf in New England for a couple years, he's extremely young with a great deal of talent. His value right now is dropping below LenDale White, which would have gotten you kicked off this board to say a year ago!
The Pats don't have a late first pick next year. They'll have a Top 5 pick (that they acquired from SF).It is rumored that they will try to trade down, but if they don't they arguably may look to take a defensive lineman.

Boston said:
This is a bad move on BB part. You need to let the RB run and not handcuff him in how he does it. He looks fine to me when they actually give him the ball.

On his radio appearance following the game Belichick mentioned that Maroney had come out of the game with some kind of foot injury and since they were up so much while it was getting checked out he didn't see much point putting him back in. Although, he didn't really sell it --- sounded more like he didn't really want to address the question.

This would also leave open the problem of repeated injuries even if they planned on sticking by him for 20 carries.

I anxiously await Yudkin's info since the Maroney owner in my league just cut him, but he looks like a decent pick up to me, depending on how you're stocked.

On his radio appearance following the game Belichick mentioned that Maroney had come out of the game with some kind of foot injury and since they were up so much while it was getting checked out he didn't see much point putting him back in. Although, he didn't really sell it --- sounded more like he didn't really want to address the question.This would also leave open the problem of repeated injuries even if they planned on sticking by him for 20 carries.I anxiously await Yudkin's info since the Maroney owner in my league just cut him, but he looks like a decent pick up to me, depending on how you're stocked.
I would pick up Maroney if you have anyone even close to deadwood on your roster. I still think he will have a few decent (RB2 type numbers) games the rest of the way, maybe better if the next ice age hits as many are predicting (since weather will be the Pats' biggest obstacle).I still am not hearing that Maroney was all that injured, and there has been talk of him either missing a blocking assignment or not picking up the fact that he was supposed to be a safety valve receiver and that could have been why he was pulled from the game.

Boston said:
This is a bad move on BB part. You need to let the RB run and not handcuff him in how he does it. He looks fine to me when they actually give him the ball.
In Patriotland you do what BB says and to do otherwise is foolish. If Maroney's not doing what he's told to do (and again there is only rumors right now) he's going to be on a very short leash.

On his radio appearance following the game Belichick mentioned that Maroney had come out of the game with some kind of foot injury and since they were up so much while it was getting checked out he didn't see much point putting him back in. Although, he didn't really sell it --- sounded more like he didn't really want to address the question.

This would also leave open the problem of repeated injuries even if they planned on sticking by him for 20 carries.

I anxiously await Yudkin's info since the Maroney owner in my league just cut him, but he looks like a decent pick up to me, depending on how you're stocked.
Belichick NEVER sounds like he wants to address ANY question.

Belichick NEVER sounds like he wants to address ANY question.
Heh....actually he seems to like talking to the local media, but the structured national media stuff is probably a turn off for him. I think he's said that one thing he learned from Cleveland was that you can't fight the media, because he tried that approach and the media just has an endless supply of ink. Now, he probably just stonewalls so they can't find a soft spot, but he seems cool with the guys he's more familair with. Honestly, if I had the national media on my ### all the time trying to come up with some new hatchet job every week to pimp their reader/viewer numbers, I'd probably be exactly the same.Maybe Yudkin could correct or back me up on this.

It makes a ton of sense for it to have gone down the way Belichick says, but that doesn't preclude anything else along the lines of what Yudkin was saying. I can see giving the guy another chance, but at some point I'd like to see the 20 carries, now that Sammy's out.

Being thin at RB, it appears to me as though the Pats are trying to preserve Maroney for the playoffs.

I can see it now, week 2 of the playoffs, the Steelers sell out to stop the pass... and the Pats run for 320 yards.

Hmmm...now none of us have really had a good chance to gauge Maroney's abilities since he hasn't really played this year, AND he was in a RBBC last year.

Just my 2 cents, but from what little I've seen, it's not that he doesn't hit the hole hard or that he doesn't have explosiveness...quite the opposite. What I think it could be is that he hits the holes too fast...before they have a chance to open. He needs to learn patience. Give the play time to develop instead of just exploding. He seems to run with plenty of shiftyness and power...and as mentioned, explosiveness.

As far as lowering his shoulder, I've seen him deliver plenty of punishing blows to defenders! And he's not a little guy. The smart RB's will run out of bounds after a good gain as opposed to risk taking an ill advised hit. No need to fight for that extra yard unless you are sniffing the goalline or fighting for a first down.

I hope NE releases him or trades him. He would be a beast on a team that actually hands the ball off as opposed to chucking it down the field. I'm wondering if his injuries are legit as well and not just BB pulling him because he doesn't like him or something? He looked fine Sunday night standing on the sidelines. More BB mind games I bet.

Something tells me McFadden won't last to the late 1st, so do the Patty's have another pick to get a RB with? Also, I see Maroney as a nice buy low. Even if he sits on the tapdancing shelf in New England for a couple years, he's extremely young with a great deal of talent. His value right now is dropping below LenDale White, which would have gotten you kicked off this board to say a year ago!
The Pats don't have a late first pick next year. They'll have a Top 5 pick (that they acquired from SF).It is rumored that they will try to trade down, but if they don't they arguably may look to take a defensive lineman.
A buddy told me that Goodell has reserved the right to take whichever first rounder he chooses. I told him he was full of ####. He was not budging though. Is there any chance Goodell takes the Frisco pick as the 1st?

A buddy told me that Goodell has reserved the right to take whichever first rounder he chooses. I told him he was full of ####. He was not budging though. Is there any chance Goodell takes the Frisco pick as the 1st?
No, the penalty was if they make the play-offs they lose THEIR 1st round pick. If they don't make the play-offs they lose THEIR second round pick.

No, the penalty was if they make the play-offs they lose THEIR 1st round pick. If they don't make the play-offs they lose THEIR second round pick.
That's what I thought. This friend has a way of talking out of his ###.

Faulk & Maroney

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff November 21, 07 12:07 PM

FOXBOROUGH -- Patriots running backs Kevin Faulk and Laurence Maroney were present in the locker room today at Gillette Stadium during the media-access period (11:10-11:55 a.m.), a positive sign after both did not finish Sunday night's game against the Bills.

Faulk left with a head injury in the second quarter, while Maroney played four series and was announced to have a foot injury.

"I'm good," Faulk said. "It's the game we play, you never know. It could be a game of inches, it could be a game of about two miles."

Asked if he remembers the Bills game, Faulk said: "Oh yeah, I remember the game. I remember everything. I can tell you what happened right before the hit, and everything."

Asked if he will play Sunday against the Eagles, Faulk said: "As a competitor, I want to. At the same time, I have to make sure I'm all right physically."

Faulk added he was going to try to practice today.

Meanwhile, Maroney said he is not injured and that he should be available for action Sunday. He indicated he is not frustrated with the lack of action.

"I feel like my time is going to come," he said. "Right now, it's not my time and I'm going to play the role they need me to play. I'm a team player. As long as we win, I'm all right."

Faulk & Maroney

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff November 21, 07 12:07 PM

FOXBOROUGH -- Patriots running backs Kevin Faulk and Laurence Maroney were present in the locker room today at Gillette Stadium during the media-access period (11:10-11:55 a.m.), a positive sign after both did not finish Sunday night's game against the Bills.

Faulk left with a head injury in the second quarter, while Maroney played four series and was announced to have a foot injury.

"I'm good," Faulk said. "It's the game we play, you never know. It could be a game of inches, it could be a game of about two miles."

Asked if he remembers the Bills game, Faulk said: "Oh yeah, I remember the game. I remember everything. I can tell you what happened right before the hit, and everything."

Asked if he will play Sunday against the Eagles, Faulk said: "As a competitor, I want to. At the same time, I have to make sure I'm all right physically."

Faulk added he was going to try to practice today.

Meanwhile, Maroney said he is not injured and that he should be available for action Sunday. He indicated he is not frustrated with the lack of action.

"I feel like my time is going to come," he said. "Right now, it's not my time and I'm going to play the role they need me to play. I'm a team player. As long as we win, I'm all right."
Speaks volumes to the real culture in the Patriots organization.

Users who are viewing this thread