What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Grant (1 Viewer)

Jedimaster21

Footballguy
My opinion of Grant has been that he is an average RB who works hard and runs hard. But he has been extremely consistent and showed some big play potential. Just curious how most people view this young player from Notre Dame...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only caught about 3 Packers games since he took over but he looks like a pretty good player to me. I think he's more Willie Parker than Samkon Gado. He's fast for his size and is very decisive, he hits the hole hard and has shown some decent moves at the second level to break the big one.

He started to start in week 8 I believe. If you divide his production out its about 16 points a game in my standard league. Multiply that out for 16 games he is the third highest scoring back in my league. I think there is really only one thing that you need to take into consideration with Grant, will Favre come back. If Favre comes back I think he is a top ten back.

He started to start in week 8 I believe. If you divide his production out its about 16 points a game in my standard league. Multiply that out for 16 games he is the third highest scoring back in my league. I think there is really only one thing that you need to take into consideration with Grant, will Favre come back. If Favre comes back I think he is a top ten back.
He started week 8 and after 8 games is 101 yards short of 1000 yards. His stats projected out would be 1799 and 12 TD's. He won't be replaced and runs very well in the zone system no matter the opponent.

Grant is avl. in my 20 team keeper and I have the 3rd pick. If he slides to me there (McFadden, another rookie, etc.) I will consider it a steal. No reason to suspect he isn't the man in GB going forward.

It all comes down to production and since he's been the starter he's produced as well as any RB in the NFL. His schedule has certainly helped and I don't believe he'll be as good as he's been over the course of a full season but I believe he'll hold onto his job.

Grant is avl. in my 20 team keeper and I have the 3rd pick. If he slides to me there (McFadden, another rookie, etc.) I will consider it a steal. No reason to suspect he isn't the man in GB going forward.
I've seen him projected as a top 5 player. If Favre comes back(he should) I would have him in the top 10. He runs like Dorsey Levens and fits perfectly in the system. The only way he loses the job is an injury.

The general consensus seems to be that he will be the Packers' starter next year. It just bothers me that he doesn't bring anything special to the table. How many backs in the NFL could be just as productive in that system? How many could be better?

I'm wrong a pretty good amount of the time, but I really like Grant. He's in a good situation, he doesn't quit on plays and he can break long runs. He can be the goal-line back, the third-down back and a workhorse. That's pretty valuable to an NFL team, and countless fantasy teams.

The general consensus seems to be that he will be the Packers' starter next year. It just bothers me that he doesn't bring anything special to the table. How many backs in the NFL could be just as productive in that system? How many could be better?
Well...they had how many different backs tried it for the first 8 weeks of the season and failed?

Well...they had how many different backs tried it for the first 8 weeks of the season and failed?
Brandon Jackson, Vernand Morency, and Deshawn Wynn failed. Not exactly a tremendous collection of talent...

He started week 8 and after 8 games is 101 yards short of 1000 yards. His stats projected out would be 1799 and 12 TD's. He won't be replaced and runs very well in the zone system no matter the opponent.
Either intentionally misleading or terrible, terrible math skills.For clarification, he has 899 yards rushing on the season. He has 872 since week 8, which is 9 games. That projects to 1550 yards rushing over 16 games. Still impressive.

Either intentionally misleading or terrible, terrible math skills.For clarification, he has 899 yards rushing on the season. He has 872 since week 8, which is 9 games. That projects to 1550 yards rushing over 16 games. Still impressive.
Oh pardon me for being a few yards off. Intentionally misleading? :yes:

Oh pardon me for being a few yards off. Intentionally misleading? :yes:
Never heard of a 250 yard error being described as just a few yards off. :thumbup:

Who (besides you) says he doesn't bring anything special to the table? I think he's shown good vision and tremendous burst. He's also a tough runner who can go both inside and outside.

Brandon Jackson, Vernand Morency, and Deshawn Wynn failed. Not exactly a tremendous collection of talent...
Ryan Grant with Brandon Jackson and Deshawn Wynn as a backups is not a bad backfield. Green Bay doesnt need to be looking at RB's in the draft. This group is more than capable.

Who (besides you) says he doesn't bring anything special to the table? I think he's shown good vision and tremendous burst. He's also a tough runner who can go both inside and outside.
He doesn't need to be especially "special", just being a quality back is good enough. He's done everything asked of him.
double check this, but i think he's the nfl's leading rusher since he became a starter.
I'm fairly certain LT is ahead of him now, pushed ahead during week 15. Still, considering everything, that's impressive.

This is a scenario where it is more about the back fitting the system and Grant is a great fit.

I think they may leave their RB spot this year and run with Jackson, Grant and Morency for next year.

PAckers gave up a draft pick for this guy. He is not going anywhere.I disagree with this. He has some great vision. He is able to find that cutback and then take it to the house!Not as productive: B. Jackson/Wynn/morency/Gado and Green last year

Never heard of a 250 yard error being described as just a few yards off. :thumbup:

The error was 21 yards and mistakenly projected out but are you both saying it was done intentionally?

If so what would be my motive for intentionally deceiving anyone. I didn't say he would get 1800 or even 1500 yards last year. He has had several 100 yard games and a breakaway against Dallas and that could continue.

OK detectives what is my motive?

Is he much less talented than Rudi? Graham? White? Foster? Jordan? Norwood? T. Jones? Benson? etc. Situation and timing is a big part of the equation and he seems to have both on his side.

I don't understand what you guys are talking about, saying that he doesn't bring anything special to the table? Are you being serious? He has the power to flat out run over defenders... fights for every yard... has GREAT field vision and cut-back ability... and has the speed to blow straight past the defense for 60-70 yard TD runs, uncontested down the stretch. Let alone, he is a very good receiver, and picks up the blitz.

The question should be... what DOESN'T Grant bring to the table? He doesn't juke 30 times at the line of scrimmage?

This is a scenario where it is more about the back fitting the system and Grant is a great fit.I think they may leave their RB spot this year and run with Jackson, Grant and Morency for next year.
why leave Wynn off the list? he had a couple good games before the injury, if anyone is left off, it should be Jackson.

I don't understand what you guys are talking about, saying that he doesn't bring anything special to the table? Are you being serious? He has the power to flat out run over defenders... fights for every yard... has GREAT field vision and cut-back ability... and has the speed to blow straight past the defense for 60-70 yard TD runs, uncontested down the stretch. Let alone, he is a very good receiver, and picks up the blitz.The question should be... what DOESN'T Grant bring to the table? He doesn't juke 30 times at the line of scrimmage?
Exactly. I think it is hard to put trust in a runningback when they don't have the pedigree to suggest a successful pro career. One stat that is quite impressive is that he has 10 runs of 20+ yards and 2 runs of 40+ yards in 182 attempts. He's doing something right.

I've read two or three things on Jackson (I own him and follow news on him) where McCarthy has said that he thinks that having Jackson forced into the starting role at a time when (he says) the line wasn't blocking very well didn't result in those games being a good evaluation of him. It's hard to argue against Grant because he's been great since he took over, and production talks. But writing off a rookie 2nd round pick who played only one year of meaningful college ball, can catch and has fewer than 60 rushes in the NFL would be hasty.It will be interesting to see how he does today against a D that can be run on.

It's a combination of both. When we went through the cut-ups in the bye week we felt bad for Brandon Jackson because Brandon Jackson didn't have many opportunities because we didn't play very well up front. We're very much improved in the run-blocking unit as a whole. As far as the executions, we've made some adjustments schematically that have helped our players. That has improved.
Thrust into the starting lineup during training camp, Jackson took his lumps when the Green Bay Packers' running game was going nowhere."This will be an excellent opportunity for Brandon Jackson. I would like to get him a number of carries, and let him have the opportunity to have success — something that he did not have a whole lot of in the beginning of the year," McCarthy said. "I really didn't think it was just him. He has improved since then, which you'd expect from a young player, but the run-blocking unit has come a long ways since the beginning of the season."
We started the season with him as the starter and he got injured. He's a very heady player. He cares and wants to be a good player. He's got a future. I don't consider him a (small) back. It wasn't so much (a need pick). We liked him a lot. Our personnel guys got very attracted to him as we got closer to the draft. In his defense, and obviously the proof's in the pudding, we weren't functioning very well as a group in the run game when he was playing a lot. The jury's still out but he has a chance to be a pretty good player."

I selected Brandon Jackson in the first round of my dynasty league rookie draft this season, so it's a safe bet that Grant will be cemented in as the starter until he gets hurt. :thumbup:

This is a scenario where it is more about the back fitting the system and Grant is a great fit.I think they may leave their RB spot this year and run with Jackson, Grant and Morency for next year.
Morency.... haven't seen anything from him that warrants the discussion he seems to get. I think Grant / Wynn is the backfield here. Wynn definitely showed enough to warrant being the main backup. Jackson has that "we used a high pick on him...", so he'll probably hang around another year. But I don't see where Morency fits at all.

Morency.... haven't seen anything from him that warrants the discussion he seems to get. I think Grant / Wynn is the backfield here. Wynn definitely showed enough to warrant being the main backup. Jackson has that "we used a high pick on him...", so he'll probably hang around another year. But I don't see where Morency fits at all.
Thompson has made some comments recently that he is concerned about Wynn's durability. Wynn is no lock to be the backup or make the team next year.

Thompson has made some comments recently that he is concerned about Wynn's durability. Wynn is no lock to be the backup or make the team next year.
Wynn is in a very tough position. Injuries by the other backs were the only thing keeping him from being cut initially. He was put on IR for more than his injury.LAUNCH

Wynn is in a very tough position. Injuries by the other backs were the only thing keeping him from being cut initially. He was put on IR for more than his injury.LAUNCH
:wall:

Clearly what the packers need is offensive line help. You put him behind a decent line and he is a top 10 RB every year.Brandon Jackson stays as back up and hopefully learns to pick up the blitz.

Clearly what the packers need is offensive line help. You put him behind a decent line and he is a top 10 RB every year.Brandon Jackson stays as back up and hopefully learns to pick up the blitz.
The few times I've seen Grant he looked great - almost stud-like - but I wouldn't be surprised if they draft another RB since it's such a deep RB draft. Brandon Jackson hasn't shown much and Wynn seems like a headcase. It's Grant's job to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had 899 yards going into the last week of the season. He got 56 or 58 more before he left the game. Just clarifying the clarification is all.

He had 899 yards going into the last week of the season. He got 56 or 58 more before he left the game. Just clarifying the clarification is all.
Hard to look at just the numbers and make a determination, though.Mike Bell had something like 900 yards in spot duty for the Broncos last year, but has about 20 this year.I'm just sayin'.

I know he has been very productive and they seem to have decent depth behind him.

Somehow i feel that either the packers will still look to upgrade the spot in the offseason, or that his production this season was a little flukey and that mornecy and/or Wynn could get alot more looks next year

he looks like a very solid RB to me.

he runs as hard as anyone in the league and always seems to gain more yardage after 1st contact. (i'm not sure when "running hard" became synonimous with "no talent". it's the nfl. they all have talent, work and running hard makes the difference in most cases)

if favre retires and the passing game becomes less prolific, obviously, grants yards would become much harder to come by. favre's retirement would certainly hurt grant's fantasy prospects, but i think he could still be quite productive.

if favre stays, grant has top 5 potential, to me.

either way, i see no reason for the packers to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. i assume they are a smarter organization than that.

either way, i see no reason for the packers to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. i assume they are a smarter organization than that.
Agreed...while the glitz of the young kids and the numbers they put up in college is always tempting.This team needs other things to continue to set up for the future.CB, OT, LB They need depth at those positions to continue competing for the title.

I thought Wynn looked better before his injury. It is Grant's job to lose, but I don't think you can assume he is a lock to be the featured guy.

I thought Wynn looked better before his injury. It is Grant's job to lose, but I don't think you can assume he is a lock to be the featured guy.
Looked better than who? Better than Grant?Not even close.Wynn looked ok...but nothing close to how Grant has run.

Wynn and Jackson both appear to be wussies while Grant runs as hard as any RB in the league.

I found it interesting when they were doing all the comparisons to Dorsey Levens and then I watched several Packer games and he did remind me a lot of Dorsey Levens! My belief is that Green Bay is happy with Grant as a starter and I think that the way Brandon Jackson ran in the last game of the year that they are happy with him too. If Green Bay drafts a RB in the draft this year it will because they feel it is a great value pick. Grant should be a solid featured RB next year and Jackson might prove to be a very capable backup. As a Grant owner I am actually thinking of seeing if I can add Jackson at a fair price now.

Users who are viewing this thread