What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mel Kiper/Todd McShay draft notes/interviews (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Mel Kiper appears as a guest on ESPN radio's Mike & Mike show nearly every Friday. This is the time he really begins to focus on the draft and specific college players, as well as team needs.

In this thread, I will post a recap of each of his visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
12/28/2007

* Parcells now in charge at Miami. What do they do with the pick? Has to be a defensive player, based on Parcells past.

* The possibility of a trade exists because of McFadden's value.

* Dorsey or Chris Long are options depending on what defensive scheme is used next year.

* They also have to assess John Beck and decide if another QB will be drafted.

* Combine and All Star games are still coming up, but how much do pro teams use bowl games to analyze players?

* Mostly use bowl games to scout juniors since they will not be participating in any all star games.

* Key juniors- McFadden, Jones, Talib, Gholston, Laurinaitis, Jenkins

*Which game is the best to watch players that will be in the upcoming draft?

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

* Where does Brennan fit in?

* After Ryan (#1 QB), Brohm is hanging on to #2 spot barely, Woodson's stock has dropped, Flacco is on the rise

* Tebow will be tough to evaluate for the NFL draft, just as Pat White (won't play QB) and Dixon.

12/28/2007

* Parcells now in charge at Miami. What do they do with the pick? Has to be a defensive player, based on Parcells past.

* Dorsey or Chris Long are options depending on what defensive scheme is used next year.

* Combine and All Star games are still coming up, but how much do pro teams use bowl games to analyze players?

* Mostly use bowl games to scout juniors since they will not be participating in any all star games.

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

* After Ryan (#1 QB), Brohm is hanging on to #2 spot barely, Woodson's stock has dropped, Flacco is on the rise

* Tebow will be tough to evaluate for the NFL draft, just as Pat White (won't play QB) and Dixon.
Is Flacco considered a first day pick? Put up Decent numbers at a small school. Nice Size, I have never seen him play though.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

So why is everyone believing this non-fact about Woodson.......I've yet to see anything on the field that changes my opinion that this guy could still be the 1st QB taken in this draft. All I'll say is remember last year when Quinn was by all accounts the "lock" #1 for much of the early postseason, where we are right now until closer to the combine, until the real pro evaluators revealed what it's all about......the ability to be 'SPECIAL' in the NFL, not just good.......this is why, like him or not, M.Vick, D.McNabb, V.Young, JaMarcus, were chosen over much more heralded players in their respective draft classes.......Woodson has the best long-term potential than any of these other QBs and 40 TD passes in a very tough SEC this season hasn't disrupted any of this projection, IMHO.So please stop regurgitating these false reports of Woodson dropping......that's simply nonsense at this point in the process

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

Is Flacco considered a first day pick? Put up Decent numbers at a small school. Nice Size, I have never seen him play though.
Pitt transfer, ran the O very efficiently at Delaware. He will be at the shrine game and we will be watching very closely.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

So why is everyone believing this non-fact about Woodson.......I've yet to see anything on the field that changes my opinion that this guy could still be the 1st QB taken in this draft. All I'll say is remember last year when Quinn was by all accounts the "lock" #1 for much of the early postseason, where we are right now until closer to the combine, until the real pro evaluators revealed what it's all about......the ability to be 'SPECIAL' in the NFL, not just good.......this is why, like him or not, M.Vick, D.McNabb, V.Young, JaMarcus, were chosen over much more heralded players in their respective draft classes.......Woodson has the best long-term potential than any of these other QBs and 40 TD passes in a very tough SEC this season hasn't dispelled any of this projection, IMHO.So please stop regurgitating these false reports of Woodson dropping......that's simply nonsense at this point in the process
I agree totally. Of course, I am a UK homer, so I am a bit biased. I have been saying Woodson would be this year's Russell for over a year. I think that so many people (fans and team officials) are looking for that sleeper or guy that others may not know about earlier than usual. Russell did not get the draft hype until around this time last year, while Woodson may have peaked early, as far as his draft stock goes.I still think he can be the #1 QB taken and/or the top QB in this draft, mostly due to not being impressed with Brohm or Ryan as much as others.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

So why is everyone believing this non-fact about Woodson.......I've yet to see anything on the field that changes my opinion that this guy could still be the 1st QB taken in this draft. All I'll say is remember last year when Quinn was by all accounts the "lock" #1 for much of the early postseason, where we are right now until closer to the combine, until the real pro evaluators revealed what it's all about......the ability to be 'SPECIAL' in the NFL, not just good.......this is why, like him or not, M.Vick, D.McNabb, V.Young, JaMarcus, were chosen over much more heralded players in their respective draft classes.......Woodson has the best long-term potential than any of these other QBs and 40 TD passes in a very tough SEC this season hasn't disrupted any of this projection, IMHO.So please stop regurgitating these false reports of Woodson dropping......that's simply nonsense at this point in the process
I'm confused. Are you suggesting this is a racial thing?

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

Well, your confusion is your own doing as this ? doesn't even warrant a response to defend what I posted.....Read again if what I said didn't register.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

Well, your confusion is your own doing as this ? doesn't even warrant a response to defend what I posted.....Read again if what I said didn't register.
I apologize if it came across as insulting. But the part I bolded had you mentioning M.Vick, D.McNabb, V.Young and JaMarcus. I just wasn't sure why you mention those 4 QB's to prove your point.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

But actually, since you kinda pi$$ed me off, I'll kindly elaborate further.........Based on collegiate statistics, achievement, and notoriety (i.e, general consensus of the public), consider each guy that I mentioned.....1. Brees was much more decorated and widely known and revered as a college QB than Vick.......but who was chosen #1 overall, Vick

2. Cade McNown and Culpepper, and even to a lesser extent, Akili Smith, were more accomplished in college than McNabb......McNabb was selected ahead of all three

3. Leinert was the poster boy for the undisputed #1 QB, for whenever he decided to declare for the draft.....but VY was the guy chosen over him even though his collegiate coordinator was in tow in TEN

4. Quinn was one of the most overyhyped and overexposed QBs in the history of the NCAA, and although good, he was never truly great as his hype......the NFL potential of a super-talent like JaMarcus usually wins out when it's time to put your (as in NFL owners') money on the line......

And believe it or not, and I don't ever tell lies, I had Big Ben and Philip Rivers rated over Eli Manning when they all came out a few years ago but since Eli went ahead of them, I didn't include these with the above-mentioned listing.......so no, for what I'm saying here, it's not about race.....

For the record, as of right now, here are my Top 5 QB Prospects for this year's draft.......

1. Andre Woodson.......gets the slight nod over the rest based on upside, collegiate achievement/stats and everything else are pretty much even with the rest

2a. Brian Brohm....flip a coin with Ryan

2b. Matt Ryan......doesn't blow my socks away as others tend to believe, nowhere near the prospect of JaMarcus

4. Chad Henne.....only slightly below Brohm/Ryan, probably a bit more talented than either, his mental game must improve

5. Dennis Dixon.....yes, he will play QB in the NFL.......check the passer rating and VY play-making ability

2. Cade McNown and Culpepper, and even to a lesser extent, Akili Smith, were more accomplished in college than McNabb......McNabb was selected ahead of all three
Sorry to single out only one part of your post, but McNabb was much more highly regarded in college than those other guys were. Akili Smith was a one-year wonder who, based solely upon draft position, was as big of a bust as Ryan Leaf.

Sorry to single out only one part of your post, but McNabb was much more highly regarded in college than those other guys were. Akili Smith was a one-year wonder who, based solely upon draft position, was as big of a bust as Ryan Leaf.
That's OK, 'cause I have a reply for you as well........McNabb played in an OPTION offense in college, which is much, much less favorable to NFL evaluators than even these gimmicky spread offenses, which at least have some sophisticated (or NFL-like) passing sets, but an option offense is very run-oriented and let's just say, lacks imaginative passing sets and plays, to say the least. And I remember this vividly, it was not until the Senior Bowl (and its associated practice week) that McNabb displayed his NFL prospects when he had to run NFL passing schemes and he showed very good promise that he could make the adjustment....up until that point, he was simply a great athlete playing as an option QB, which had NFL guys intrigued but at the same time skeptical of his NFL prospects.......

And yes, Akili had the one very good season, but it was by throwing the ball in a sophisticated, pro-style offense......and McNown played in a pro-style offense his entire college career, and put up very nice throwing numbers, dwarfing McNabb's passing stats........so I would still say that both of these guys were initially rated ahead of McNabb until he closed the gap during the Senior Bowl process

I dont think there is much of a chance that Woodson is the first QB off the board. When a QB's biggest weakness is his release time, there are serious questions there.

Max Power said:
I dont think there is much of a chance that Woodson is the first QB off the board. When a QB's biggest weakness is his release time, there are serious questions there.
No, there is certainly no guarantee that he will be the 1st QB......just not buying all these reports of his falling, especially based on his biggest weakness......which is real, but guess what, you ever heard of NFL coaching, especially position coaching......it's tenfold, or more, better than at the collegiate level.......and what most people overinflate as a detrimental weakness, is actually easily correctible by diligent NFL coaches....and when it comes to high-priced investments, i.e., high-pick QBs, the diligence is always there, at least by the reputable NFL franchises....and don't believe for a second that almost all NFL prospects, especially QBs, have some weakness or several of them, that will need to be addressed as they proceed in their careers......here's just a little of what I've picked up here and there on how some of Woodson's release issue will be addressed........check the following video, I chose this one based on the great still photos depicting his delivery and I've earmarked a few timestamps with comments belowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVE_0VLd1jI

at 0:18, note the elongated arm swing......they'll most likely look to make this motion more compact...to what extent, I dunno, but at least a bit

at 1:50, again a great picture of the longer delivery, needs to be more compact as well as not such a 'loose' wrist-turn, i.e., with his current motion, his wrist is turning back too far and will thus have to return the same distance/path before he releases the ball

at 2:55, another great still of the 'loose' wrist-turn.....a sharper/shorter turn of the wrist on the backswing is certainly needed

Again, these are not incorrectible flaws to most NFL people, you either like a guy's talent or not, it's their job to 'COACH 'EM UP'......to steal a phrase from Mooch

Allow me to be the first to say.

Brohm = Overrated
Can you expound on why you make that comment?
The guy isn't athletic and he's not tough. Further, his decision making skills are untested in the Big East...played a cupcake schedule for the vast majority of his collegiate career.No thanks.
That sounds a lot like Leinart, considering the pac-10 defenses he faced.

Allow me to be the first to say.

Brohm = Overrated
Can you expound on why you make that comment?
The guy isn't athletic and he's not tough. Further, his decision making skills are untested in the Big East...played a cupcake schedule for the vast majority of his collegiate career.No thanks.
That sounds a lot like Leinart, considering the pac-10 defenses he faced.
You mean minus the national title games...and Leinart is a tremendous athlete...Brohm isn't even in the same conversation.

I don't spend a ton of time concentrating on QBs, but I think both Brohm and Woodson were unimpressive when I saw them. I understand that Kentucky won the bowl game, but I really didn't think Woodson looked that good. :popcorn:

How anyone could consider Woodson unimpressive is beyond me. He wins games by himself. I still dont get the Matt Ryan hype. He looked terrible in his bowl game.

I don't spend a ton of time concentrating on QBs, but I think both Brohm and Woodson were unimpressive when I saw them. I understand that Kentucky won the bowl game, but I really didn't think Woodson looked that good. :shrug:
Well, consider the following.........The past 2 seasons combined......7200 pass yds, 63% completions, 71/18 TD-Ints (roughly 4-1 ratio...which is phenomenal), 104 passer rating avg., 16-10 record competing in a tough SEC at Kentucky, not a perennial powerhouse......only knock I'd have is the high number of sacks (74 in 26 gms) for which he has to take some of the responsibility for....so to state that a guy is unimpressive when he has compiled these types of numbers in the SEC, no less, not the WAC or MAC, over the past 2 seasons is simply an uninformed, or possibly even biased, statement....and numbers aside, the guy is a leader and very tough competitor

That's OK, 'cause I have a reply for you as well........McNabb played in an OPTION offense in college, which is much, much less favorable to NFL evaluators than even these gimmicky spread offenses, which at least have some sophisticated (or NFL-like) passing sets, but an option offense is very run-oriented and let's just say, lacks imaginative passing sets and plays, to say the least. And I remember this vividly, it was not until the Senior Bowl (and its associated practice week) that McNabb displayed his NFL prospects when he had to run NFL passing schemes and he showed very good promise that he could make the adjustment....up until that point, he was simply a great athlete playing as an option QB, which had NFL guys intrigued but at the same time skeptical of his NFL prospects.......

And yes, Akili had the one very good season, but it was by throwing the ball in a sophisticated, pro-style offense......and McNown played in a pro-style offense his entire college career, and put up very nice throwing numbers, dwarfing McNabb's passing stats........so I would still say that both of these guys were initially rated ahead of McNabb until he closed the gap during the Senior Bowl process
I wouldn't call the following #s much of an option offense.PASSING STATISTICS

STATS ATT COMP PCT YARDS TD YD/ATT YD/CMP INT I/PCT LONG GM/AVG

1995 207 128 61.8 1991 16 9.62 15.55 6 2.90 96 181.00

1996 215 118 54.9 1776 19 8.26 15.05 9 4.19 70 161.45

1997 265 145 54.7 2488 20 9.39 17.16 6 2.26 94 207.33

1998 251 157 62.5 2134 22 8.50 13.59 5 1.99 56 194.00

TOTAL 938 548 58.4 8389 77 8.94 15.31 26 2.77 96 186.42

RUSHING STATISTICS

STATS GP/GS NO YARDS AVG TD LONG

1995 11/11 123 261 2.1 2 39

1996 11/11 97 458 4.7 3 72

1997 12/12 110 404 3.7 6 43

1998 11/11 135 438 3.2 8 51

TOTAL 45/45 465 1561 3.4 19 72

One of the most decorated athletes in Syracuse annals…Regarded by many as the best athlete at his position in college football…Confident, decisive passer with a quick release…Has a very good sense of timing…Extremely effective throwing on the move… Elusive scrambler who is able to rifle the long outs…Gets good zip on his slants & side-line tosses…Scans the field to find his secondary receivers very well…Recently timed at 4.64 in the 40-yard dash…Holds the school & conference career records for touchdown passes (77), touchdowns responsible for (96), passing yards (8389), total offensive yards (9950) & total offense plays (1403)…Also holds the Orange all-time records for average yards per play (7.2), total yards per game (221.1), passing efficiency (155.1) & passing yards per attempt (9.1)…Ranks second in school history with 8389 yards passing, an average of 186.4 yards passing per game, 548 completions, 938 attempts & 58.4 completion percentage…Started every game during his career, compiling a 33-12 record.

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/stat/apr99/qb-mcnabb.asp

RUSHING STATISTICS

One of the most decorated athletes in Syracuse annals…Regarded by many as the best athlete at his position in college football…Confident, decisive passer with a quick release…Has a very good sense of timing…Extremely effective throwing on the move… Elusive scrambler who is able to rifle the long outs…Gets good zip on his slants & side-line tosses…Scans the field to find his secondary receivers very well…Recently timed at 4.64 in the 40-yard dash…Holds the school & conference career records for touchdown passes (77), touchdowns responsible for (96), passing yards (8389), total offensive yards (9950) & total offense plays (1403)…Also holds the Orange all-time records for average yards per play (7.2), total yards per game (221.1), passing efficiency (155.1) & passing yards per attempt (9.1)…Ranks second in school history with 8389 yards passing, an average of 186.4 yards passing per game, 548 completions, 938 attempts & 58.4 completion percentage…Started every game during his career, compiling a 33-12 record.

Dude, your numbers validate my point.....And, I WATCHED McNabb play in college, and he played in an option-based attack for a good portion of his college career......if you look at the numbers, throwing for 2400 yds in his best season compared to guys in pro-style attacks (3500+ yds easily), you should have been able to make the connection that McNabb was definitely not in a passer-friendly offense.......Yes, he did make big plays, I do recall, as his TDs per pass attempt was very high......but he also played in a very porous Big East Conference back then.......I don't believe that MIA was in the conference then, although I could be wrong.....but the conference overall was pretty weak back then.....And I never said that he wasn't very good in college, just not as highly touted as several other QBs during that era.....I know that for a fact......you've posted a postseason scouting report, which also validates my initial point that McNabb closed the draft-prospect gap during the POSTSEASON, not during his actual playing career when others were thought to be much better NFL prospects than he

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

But actually, since you kinda pi$$ed me off, I'll kindly elaborate further.........Based on collegiate statistics, achievement, and notoriety (i.e, general consensus of the public), consider each guy that I mentioned.....1. Brees was much more decorated and widely known and revered as a college QB than Vick.......but who was chosen #1 overall, Vick

3. Leinert was the poster boy for the undisputed #1 QB, for whenever he decided to declare for the draft.....but VY was the guy chosen over him even though his collegiate coordinator was in tow in TEN

4. Quinn was one of the most overyhyped and overexposed QBs in the history of the NCAA, and although good, he was never truly great as his hype......the NFL potential of a super-talent like JaMarcus usually wins out when it's time to put your (as in NFL owners') money on the line......

And believe it or not, and I don't ever tell lies, I had Big Ben and Philip Rivers rated over Eli Manning when they all came out a few years ago but since Eli went ahead of them, I didn't include these with the above-mentioned listing.......so no, for what I'm saying here, it's not about race.....

For the record, as of right now, here are my Top 5 QB Prospects for this year's draft.......

1. Andre Woodson.......gets the slight nod over the rest based on upside, collegiate achievement/stats and everything else are pretty much even with the rest

2b. Matt Ryan......doesn't blow my socks away as others tend to believe, nowhere near the prospect of JaMarcus

4. Chad Henne.....only slightly below Brohm/Ryan, probably a bit more talented than either, his mental game must improve

5. Dennis Dixon.....yes, he will play QB in the NFL.......check the passer rating and VY play-making ability
Do you always attack people to make a point? Better yet, are you just a jerk because you're behind a keyboard or are you one in person too? You make smart #### comments when someone (Mr. Peterson) asks a question about your selcted choice of black QB's. Granted that might be by chance, but to attack the person for asking...poor.

Redman points out something about McNabb, your response acts as though he coming at you...by your "I have a response for you" comment.

You seem to want to make a decent points about QB's, but all that is lost with your lack of tact. Basically, your packaging makes a nice gift look like crap. Try interacting on a more civil front and you'd be amazed on how people might actually enjoy, accept and even support your point of view.

As a boston homer who actualy watches college football, I also think Woodson is the best of the lot. But I don't think he is light years ahead of Ryan. I'll say this about Ryan, he had AWFUL WR tallent at BC. He would have games with 10 dropped passes that would have been caught by any run of the mill SEC WR.

How anyone could consider Woodson unimpressive is beyond me. He wins games by himself.
Because he reminds people (myself included) of Tim Couch and/or Byron Leftwich. :goodposting:Inflated numbers because of offense and a slow release doesn't usually equate to NFL success. Just my 2 cents.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

Since I went to UDel for 2 yrs, I picked up on the program while I was there.K.C. Keeler's the head coach, and he's built that program up to above and beyond what they were before he was there - UDel was in the NCAA Div I-AA (FCS) Championship game (lost to Appalachian State, who beat Michigan). UDel went on a tear in December just to get to that game.

This is Keeler's second effort after building up Rowan (formerly Glassboro State, NJ) to a Div-III football contender. He's a graduate of both schools.

The Fighting Blue Hens have had some good prospects on offense now as their pro-style lends itself to a lot of production. Ben Patrick (Arizona Cardinals) came out last year and now Flacco is considered to be a Top 5 QB - a Day 1 prospect (First 3 rounds). He's 6-6 and 230 so he has the size, but I've only seen a little of him. I wasn't overly impressed by his game vs. App. St. as he doesn't have great mobility (at least in that game) but does allegedly run sub-5.0. His arm position concerns me (about 3/4 delivery) which counteracts his height advantage.

The better (and deeper) prospect, IMHO, is the tailback for UDel - Omar Cuff. They compared him to Westbrook, and I do see it. He ran for 1861 yards (4.9 avg) and 34 TDs as a rusher, and he also added 52 catches for 513 yards (9.9) and 4 more TDs. He's considered a late round pick (possible UDFA) but could impress - if he gets a chance at the combine.

RUSHING STATISTICS

Dude, your numbers validate my point.....And, I WATCHED McNabb play in college, and he played in an option-based attack for a good portion of his college career......if you look at the numbers, throwing for 2400 yds in his best season compared to guys in pro-style attacks (3500+ yds easily), you should have been able to make the connection that McNabb was definitely not in a passer-friendly offense.......Yes, he did make big plays, I do recall, as his TDs per pass attempt was very high......but he also played in a very porous Big East Conference back then.......I don't believe that MIA was in the conference then, although I could be wrong.....but the conference overall was pretty weak back then.....And I never said that he wasn't very good in college, just not as highly touted as several other QBs during that era.....I know that for a fact......you've posted a postseason scouting report, which also validates my initial point that McNabb closed the draft-prospect gap during the POSTSEASON, not during his actual playing career when others were thought to be much better NFL prospects than he
I'll admit that I probbaly didn't watch him alot but I don't remember him running an option offense and that's all I can say and I think, maybe we'll disagree, but I think the #'s proove my point that he definetly wasn't in a option offense. I know the Big East was awful then and "NO" Miami wasn't in there yet, but he had the all time passing record. How can you still be convinced he was in an option offense. Now did he run.....of course. However I'd be more inclined after looking at the #'s by saying he was a passing qb than ran instead of the other way around.Not saying your wrong... Just saying I'm right :kicksrock:

I don't spend a ton of time concentrating on QBs, but I think both Brohm and Woodson were unimpressive when I saw them. I understand that Kentucky won the bowl game, but I really didn't think Woodson looked that good. :shrug:
Well, consider the following.........The past 2 seasons combined......7200 pass yds, 63% completions, 71/18 TD-Ints (roughly 4-1 ratio...which is phenomenal), 104 passer rating avg., 16-10 record competing in a tough SEC at Kentucky, not a perennial powerhouse......only knock I'd have is the high number of sacks (74 in 26 gms) for which he has to take some of the responsibility for....so to state that a guy is unimpressive when he has compiled these types of numbers in the SEC, no less, not the WAC or MAC, over the past 2 seasons is simply an uninformed, or possibly even biased, statement....and numbers aside, the guy is a leader and very tough competitor
Sorry, I just don't see it. I'll watch him closely leading up to the draft though and see if anything changes my mind.

Max Power said:
No, there is certainly no guarantee that he will be the 1st QB......just not buying all these reports of his falling, especially based on his biggest weakness......which is real, but guess what, you ever heard of NFL coaching, especially position coaching......it's tenfold, or more, better than at the collegiate level.......and what most people overinflate as a detrimental weakness, is actually easily correctible by diligent NFL coaches....and when it comes to high-priced investments, i.e., high-pick QBs, the diligence is always there, at least by the reputable NFL franchises....and don't believe for a second that almost all NFL prospects, especially QBs, have some weakness or several of them, that will need to be addressed as they proceed in their careers......here's just a little of what I've picked up here and there on how some of Woodson's release issue will be addressed........check the following video, I chose this one based on the great still photos depicting his delivery and I've earmarked a few timestamps with comments belowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVE_0VLd1jI

at 0:18, note the elongated arm swing......they'll most likely look to make this motion more compact...to what extent, I dunno, but at least a bit

at 1:50, again a great picture of the longer delivery, needs to be more compact as well as not such a 'loose' wrist-turn, i.e., with his current motion, his wrist is turning back too far and will thus have to return the same distance/path before he releases the ball

at 2:55, another great still of the 'loose' wrist-turn.....a sharper/shorter turn of the wrist on the backswing is certainly needed

Again, these are not incorrectible flaws to most NFL people, you either like a guy's talent or not, it's their job to 'COACH 'EM UP'......to steal a phrase from Mooch
I disagree about changing release time being a coachable thing. It is VERY hard to get a guy to release a ball quicker and not impact accuracy. Don't you think Leftwich would have been coached if it were that easy? I think lefty is better than people think now, but his release is the reason he has not had success. You don't just change that without losing a lot of other parts of the throw, including accuracy and throwing speed. This is why a guy with a quick release and a powerful throwing arm are hard to find. if you add accuracy you have a winner.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

Umm...McNabb was chosen AFTER Tim Couch.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

Do you always attack people to make a point? Better yet, are you just a jerk because you're behind a keyboard or are you one in person too? You make smart #### comments when someone (Mr. Peterson) asks a question about your selcted choice of black QB's. Granted that might be by chance, but to attack the person for asking...poor.

Redman points out something about McNabb, your response acts as though he coming at you...by your "I have a response for you" comment.

You seem to want to make a decent points about QB's, but all that is lost with your lack of tact. Basically, your packaging makes a nice gift look like crap. Try interacting on a more civil front and you'd be amazed on how people might actually enjoy, accept and even support your point of view.
Your reply here is irrelevent to the topic of discussion. Different approaches for different folkses......And I intended that grammatical error.....if you have something to add to the TOPIC of discussion and not my personal freeform, feel obliged to keep it moving.....I'm not attacking anyone :wall: :coffee: :coffee:

Your reply here is irrelevent to the topic of discussion. Different approaches for different folkses......And I intended that grammatical error.....if you have something to add to the TOPIC of discussion and not my personal freeform, feel obliged to keep it moving :wall: :coffee: :coffee:
Dude. You make some good points. But you should tone it down a notch.

Your reply here is irrelevent to the topic of discussion. Different approaches for different folkses......And I intended that grammatical error.....if you have something to add to the TOPIC of discussion and not my personal freeform, feel obliged to keep it moving

;) :lmao: :football:
Dude. You make some good points. But you should tone it down a notch.
C'mon, Andy, this is Serious Business. :football:

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

The only thing special about these guys is the inability to ever be a special NFL quarterback. Write it down none of these QB's will ever be better than average. They all have the same accuracy problems. The best of the bunch is McNabb and how are things working out for him.

12/28/2007

* Ga/Haw, BC/Mich St.

Your reply here is irrelevent to the topic of discussion. Different approaches for different folkses......And I intended that grammatical error.....if you have something to add to the TOPIC of discussion and not my personal freeform, feel obliged to keep it moving.....I'm not attacking anyone :wall: :lmao: :hot:
:rolleyes: LMAO!

Max Power said:
Having watched all of Woodson's games, that release is a problem. He has great faith in his O-line and his ability to shake off tacklers. If he were to get drafted by, say, Minnesota, this might serve him well. If somebody with a bad line takes him, he could be battered out of the league very quickly (just like Couch).

The Fighting Blue Hens have had some good prospects on offense now as their pro-style lends itself to a lot of production. Ben Patrick (Arizona Cardinals) came out last year and now Flacco is considered to be a Top 5 QB - a Day 1 prospect (First 3 rounds). He's 6-6 and 230 so he has the size, but I've only seen a little of him. I wasn't overly impressed by his game vs. App. St. as he doesn't have great mobility (at least in that game) but does allegedly run sub-5.0. His arm position concerns me (about 3/4 delivery) which counteracts his height advantage.

The better (and deeper) prospect, IMHO, is the tailback for UDel - Omar Cuff. They compared him to Westbrook, and I do see it. He ran for 1861 yards (4.9 avg) and 34 TDs as a rusher, and he also added 52 catches for 513 yards (9.9) and 4 more TDs. He's considered a late round pick (possible UDFA) but could impress - if he gets a chance at the combine.

I've evaluated Flacco...he has a gun for an arm and his release doesn't concern me as much because he can throw from a variety of setups or on the run. He also can slide in the pocket under pressure...a very underrated skill. I've seen Cuff too. He is definitely no Brian Westbrook. This is going to sound funny or weird, but his running style is very much like Larry Csonka--two hands always over the ball and head down with great pad level and body lean. The problem is not a bruiser and lacks great change of direction--the change of direction issue is partly due to the fact he keeps his head down a bit too much. He misses holes that are opening because...well honestly, I don't believe he sees the field as well when he is running with both hands on the ball and his head down. He's a tough runner for his size, but frustrating to watch, because with his burst and ability to change direction (if he were looking a bit less at the ground two feet in front of him) he could break some big runs that he easily missed...he has a shot to make a roster, but I doubt he becomes a starter unless he changes his running style just enough to see what he's missing.

If you want to watch a small school guy with great skills, Xavier Omon is that RB.

Right, and correct me if I am wrong but McNabb had some big games in the Big East against Miami...in fact I believe he beat them like a drum his Senior Year...I bring that up because guys like Brett Favre took Southern Miss into Tallahassee and knocked off the mighty Seminoles in 1991 IIRC...those types of performances matter greatly when they get to the next level. I don't remember Akili Smith tearing up any of the great dynasty college football programs.

Right, and correct me if I am wrong but McNabb had some big games in the Big East against Miami...in fact I believe he beat them like a drum his Senior Year...I bring that up because guys like Brett Favre took Southern Miss into Tallahassee and knocked off the mighty Seminoles in 1991 IIRC...those types of performances matter greatly when they get to the next level. I don't remember Akili Smith tearing up any of the great dynasty college football programs.
Dont Forget the utter reaming that McNabb gave Michigan in the big house

As a boston homer who actualy watches college football, I also think Woodson is the best of the lot. But I don't think he is light years ahead of Ryan. I'll say this about Ryan, he had AWFUL WR tallent at BC. He would have games with 10 dropped passes that would have been caught by any run of the mill SEC WR.
Worse than the drops, the BC WRs have no speed. What Ryan did with this group of non-weapons and a weak running game was incredible. He makes throws that no other QB in college football could make. His relatively high INT numbers are due to the fact that he had to stick the ball into tight spots. I have no doubt he will be the best pro of the bunch.

The only thing special about these guys is the inability to ever be a special NFL quarterback. Write it down none of these QB's will ever be better than average. They all have the same accuracy problems. The best of the bunch is McNabb and how are things working out for him.
Uh, he went to a Super Bowl and was one of the league's best QBs from 2001 to 2004?

Having watched all of Woodson's games, that release is a problem. He has great faith in his O-line and his ability to shake off tacklers. If he were to get drafted by, say, Minnesota, this might serve him well. If somebody with a bad line takes him, he could be battered out of the league very quickly (just like Couch).
Woodson not only has a ridiculously slow release, he has a terrible habit of trying to power throws off of his back foot rather than stepping into his throws. Whoever drafts him will have a MAJOR project on their hands to correct his mechanics.

Uh, he went to a Super Bowl and was one of the league's best QBs from 2001 to 2004?
One of the league's best is debatable.

Users who are viewing this thread