What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Discussing NFL Defenses (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
***This series was made into an article during the summer of 2008 and updated in the summer of 2009. Click here for the most recent article with more current IDP discussion.***

With the series about to end, I'll turn this thread into a Q&A thread if there are other things folks have interest in -- scheme, history, whatever. Post them in this thread (or the others) and I'll answer them if I'm able.

Since many of the scheme threads in the IDP FAQ are well over a year old now, some of you may not be into the podcast format (where we detailed a lot of scheme information last year) and there’s been a big influx of IDP newbies over the past two years, I figured it might be time to do a quick Discussing Defensive Schemes series.

Why should you care? Well, if you fancy yourself a real football fan and just watch the ball, you’re missing well over half the game – the better, harder-hitting, less primadonna-ish half. More to the point, if you’re wondering why every other site but FBG had Cato June in their top 15 last preseason or were sunk by concerns about whether Patrick Willis could produce in a 3-4, your future IDP roster needs you to come to class. :P

We’ll keep the IDP 101 podcast theme. Here’s the curriculum. We’re not taking attendance and it's BYO :banned: . Feel free to come and go as you please, the only exam will be your future record. Especially you crusty old vets of FBG. You’re expected to know this material already.

101 – Defensive Line Techniques -- Thread Here

201 – The 4-3 Defense -- Thread Here

301 – The Tampa-2 -- Thread Here

401 – The 3-4 Defense -- Thread Here

501 – Sub-packages -- Thread Here

Class starts Monday. :grad: :coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea for the newbs looking to enhance their FF playing experience, Well done Jene!

If there's interest in anything else -- scheme related, historical discussions, whatever -- that I didn't cover or forgot about, feel free to post it here or one of the other threads and I'll try to answer whatever I can.

If there's interest in anything else -- scheme related, historical discussions, whatever -- that I didn't cover or forgot about, feel free to post it here or one of the other threads and I'll try to answer whatever I can.
I possible topic of conversation is how certain defenses assign side of the field to their CB's, while others assign their CB's to opposing WR's (who can obviously line up on either side). The former has always seems strange to me given that it allows the offense to dictate personnel matchups, so I've never understood the wisdom behind it.

I possible topic of conversation is how certain defenses assign side of the field to their CB's, while others assign their CB's to opposing WR's (who can obviously line up on either side). The former has always seems strange to me given that it allows the offense to dictate personnel matchups, so I've never understood the wisdom behind it.
Part of keeping your LCB and RCB anchored to one side of the field has to do with run responsibility. Many coordinators want their more physical corner on the side of the field more likely to be the strong side. With motion and multiple sets, it's more difficult for a corner to switch sides of the defensive formation when the offense shifts strength. Part of it may also have to do with differences in footwork from one side to the other, particularly in zone schemes. Bloom may be able to speak to that better than I.I'm certain that Jason David would agree with your concerns about dictating personnel matchups.

Adapted this series of threads into a stand alone article that was posted today called The Ultimate Guide to NFL Defense. Those of you who were around for these threads this winter will recognize a lot of the content, but I sprinkled in more IDP specific ideas than we had this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread