What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When to draft for a dynasty startup (1 Viewer)

B-Deep

Footballguy
When staring up a new Dynasty league, and when is the best time to hold the draft, or drafts? One idea I have heard is having a veerans draft, and then a rookie draft to start off the league. The thought was whomever picks last in the veteran draft at least gets top choice of this year's rookie class. Have people done it this way? Is the double draft a better way to go?

AND, when would you hold the draft (or drafts)?

I think it is best to have one draft and include the rookies. If you have 2 drafts, someone starts with 1.12, 2.01 and 1.01 rookie and the playing field is uneven from the start.

I like to hold mine startup drafts soon after the NFL draft.

I would treat the dynasty start up like any other league, late as possible. We did our start up draft (for all players) last year right before the season started. Like any league too much can happen during pre-season, injuries and depth chart changes. Then the following years you have your rookie and free agent draft sometime after the NFL draft.

i've never been able to come up with any good reason not to hold any draft as late as possible.

i don't know how it helps a league to draft with less information.

When staring up a new Dynasty league, and when is the best time to hold the draft, or drafts? One idea I have heard is having a veerans draft, and then a rookie draft to start off the league. The thought was whomever picks last in the veteran draft at least gets top choice of this year's rookie class. Have people done it this way? Is the double draft a better way to go?AND, when would you hold the draft (or drafts)?
Agree w/Jeter, started 2 new leagues last yr one draft both May, things went real well, starting 2 new leagues this yr one draft both in May, allows for alot of trading! :mellow:

I think it is best to have one draft and include the rookies. If you have 2 drafts, someone starts with 1.12, 2.01 and 1.01 rookie and the playing field is uneven from the start.I like to hold mine startup drafts soon after the NFL draft.
:mellow:

I think it is best to have one draft and include the rookies. If you have 2 drafts, someone starts with 1.12, 2.01 and 1.01 rookie and the playing field is uneven from the start.

If you do hold two drafts, one thing I think that should be done to even this inequity up is to allow the owners to pick which slot they will have.When you do the dice roll (or whatever you do to get the draft order), instead of automatically slotting the first guy with the 1.01 pick, the second one with the 1.02 pick, etc., is to let the first guy select where he will draft and so on down the line.

I started a first year dynasty this year. We have decided to have our draft the first weekend in Aug. 25 rounds. One draft.

We were going to have two separate drafts but I was talked out of it and really convinced having one draft is the way to go. I am in another dynasty league as well and we had two drafts in that league. I liked it because we had our draft so early that it gave me something to look forward to during the off season but in the end, I like the one draft format better.

The start up draft for a dynasty league is very important if you want to league to be competitive and last longer than a season or two. The earlier you hold it, the more likely it is for "bad things" to happen, making it more likely for the league to fold early.

I advise to hold the initial draft as late as possible. Then, for subsequent years, you may be able to push it up as the league members get more comfortable with each other.

Split drafts are bad. It's like giving a free 2nd round pick to the teams that pick 1-3.

It's best to have one combined draft after the NFL draft. Early May? That seems like an ideal time.

Start your draft as late as possible, for the most accurate information on the players as possible...

Use an auction for selection, for the fairest way to determine rosters (so everyone has the same chance at every player)...

Von

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 200%. The initial draft should be 1 draft that includes everyone. and I like to hold draft after the NFL draft...I also found if you hold your draft during training camp it gets your GM's more information on the players which in turn makes for a faster draft.

Split drafts are bad. It's like giving a free 2nd round pick to the teams that pick 1-3. It's best to have one combined draft after the NFL draft. Early May? That seems like an ideal time.
I held a split draft last yr and it went very good. I held the 1st 15 Rds of my draft 2 weeks prior to the NFL Draft (the Total Roster space was 33; including IDP). During those 15 Rds, no rookie could be picked. The 2nd half was held 10 days after the NFL Draft and it Started in Reverse order of the 1st Draft (IE Picks 1.14 had pick 16.01). It was be far the best league I commished and the # of trades before and after the Drafts was incredible. It went so well that I'm seriously think of starting another league like it.

Not sure if it matters, but as someone said if I hold a split draft then people would select their draft order. Whoever gets the top slot could chose 1.1 or 1.12 or anything in between

Actually either way I would do that

Anyone else have a thought here?

I think it is best to have one draft and include the rookies. If you have 2 drafts, someone starts with 1.12, 2.01 and 1.01 rookie and the playing field is uneven from the start.I like to hold mine startup drafts soon after the NFL draft.
We do the same. One draft that includes rookies.

If you do hold two drafts, one thing I think that should be done to even this inequity up is to allow the owners to pick which slot they will have.When you do the dice roll (or whatever you do to get the draft order), instead of automatically slotting the first guy with the 1.01 pick, the second one with the 1.02 pick, etc., is to let the first guy select where he will draft and so on down the line.
This does absolutely nothing to even up the inequity.

I am currently drafting in a new dynasty league. The first dynasty draft I've been in. Here is how they are running that draft.

They are drafting the rookies with the veterans. They are however doing it in two seperate drafts. 1 draft is for NFC players and 1 is for AFC players. They did this because it is a slow draft. Each team has until 12 midnight of the day after the previous pick was made to make their selection. The two drafts mirror each other. So the guy with the 1st pick in the AFC draft has the 12th pick in the NFC draft.

So far so good but like I said I am new at dynasty leagues so I'm not sure how it will end up.

Users who are viewing this thread