What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DJ Hackett Free Agent (1 Viewer)

dmac37

Footballguy
I just noticed DJ Hackett is a unrestricted free agent this year, what is the word on him staying with Seattle. I would think his value is better with Seattle than going somewhere else.

The word in Seattle is they are going to let him walk.
Hackett's going to be an interesting one to watch.They certainly like his talent, but his inability to get and stay healthy hurt him and his value. His pricetag will be more than they possibly want to pay, but they are also short with Branch hurting (and rumors of IR already circling). Seattle is facing the loss of DJ and Trufant, so they can't tag both. (Josh Brown may also be a tag candidate but he has to be a distant 3rd on that list).Expect Seattle to push hard for a deal with DJ and Trufant - and whomever is the furthest away may be franchise tagged.Hackett on the FA market would be one of the bigger WR names for sure.

Expect Seattle to push hard for a deal with DJ and Trufant - and whomever is the furthest away may be franchise tagged.
And if it comes down to those two they would be crazy not to tag Trufant instead of Hackett imo. Trufant is an elite CB right now(and tagging a CB should be a whole lot cheaper than tagging a WR) and SEA has a questionable Branch but both Engram and Burleson were very solid this year. Draft a rookie to pick up the slack when Engram eventually tails off and I think they'd be fine at WR next year and beyond. I have the feeling Hackett is going to get a lot more $ this offseason than what he's actually earned based on his play on the field so far in his career. Spending big $ on "potential" instead of "production" is a mistake unless you can do so without giving him a big signing bonus - and with all those teams under the salary cap when the # goes up somebody is going to give him a big signing bonus. It's a copy-cat league and the NE offense exploding with additions of Moss/Welker/Stallworth certainly isn't going to go unnoticed. Favre, Roethlisberger and McNabb haven't been very secretive they want more weapons and there are only a finite # of FA WR's that can step right in and contribute.

Not a bad call - we know they won't draft 'em high, but they did sign T.O. a couple years ago and that worked out well for them between the stripes.That said, is this reasonable or wishful thinking?
The wishful :thumbup: call is Randy Moss, but I'm doubting that happens.Frankly I don't recall how well DJ does in beating press coverage, which is what the Eagles need. AT 6'2", 200 lbs he has the right size combo for the job, and Philly has shown that for the right WR they'll open up the wallet.

I think that they should be able to realize that 2008 (and 09) is likely "it" for this group. McNabb, Westbrook, Dawkins, Sheppard - plus Runyan on the O-line - the age is showing. Time to get whatever players they think will put them over the top now and take their best (and possibly last) shot.

Interesting thought, it seems like Berrian and Hackett are the top 2 free agent WR's other than Moss. Who will command more Hackett or Berrian and who would you go after? I think they are similar, both have shown that they have the talent to be a #1 WR but have not really proven it over any lenght of time and both are 27 years old

Interesting thought, it seems like Berrian and Hackett are the top 2 free agent WR's other than Moss. Who will command more Hackett or Berrian and who would you go after? I think they are similar, both have shown that they have the talent to be a #1 WR but have not really proven it over any lenght of time and both are 27 years old
Berrian and I can't believe ANYONE would even think it was close.

I think it is close..... :goodposting:

Taking a quick look at 3 different dynasty rankings they are next to each other in one and each are slightly ahead in the other two.

I think it is close..... :rolleyes:
To start out do you think the CHI passing offense is in any way close to being the equal of the SEA passing offense in terms of being a WR friendly offense?

I think it is close..... :shrug:
I agree. Very close.
Bernard Berrian to me seems to have the deep threat skills, but he also has displayed some possession skills at times, that could've been accentuated even more if Grossman was consistently a more accurate QB, especially when pressured. I like Berrian. He has good speed, good instincts and he seems like he can handle a #1 role on a team. What I don't like about him is his separation skills are not as good as other WRs with his speed and abilities. His speed alone makes him a good deep threat, but he seems to have a difficult time shedding defenders, which also might've been a reason why Grossman was picked off as often as he was - simply because Berrian always had a defender on him tight.I think if Berrian lands on a team with a better than average down field passer, who can read a defense well and adjust well, he could be VERY good. Perhaps a team like Philadelphia? Berrian on Philly could just be what Donovan McNabb needs to get him back to the league's elite QBs :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is close..... :shrug:
I agree. Very close.
Bernard Berrian to me seems to have the deep threat skills, but he also has displayed some possession skills at times, that could've been accentuated even more if Grossman was consistently a more accurate QB, especially when pressured. I like Berrian. He has good speed, good instincts and he seems like he can handle a #1 role on a team. What I don't like about him is his separation skills are not as good as other WRs with his speed and abilities. His speed alone makes him a good deep threat, but he seems to have a difficult time shedding defenders, which also might've been a reason why Grossman was picked off as often as he was - simply because Berrian always had a defender on him tight.I think if Berrian lands on a team with a better than average down field passer, who can read a defense well and adjust well, he could be VERY good. Perhaps a team like Philadelphia? Berrian on Philly could just be what Donovan McNabb needs to get him back to the league's elite QBs :shrug:
The Eagles have Kevin Curtis, who can play that role just fine.They need a true WR1 or at least a WR with size who can beat press coverage. That moves Reggie Brown to the possession receiver (WR2) and KCurtis to the deep threat out of the slot. That's much, much better.

I loves me some Hackett, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed in what I saw this season, and I may be on record as being his first offical fan in Seattle. He impressed the hell out of me when I first saw him at training camp.

I was hoping for a monster season, but he let me down, and it wasn't just the injuries. He had a few big games, but those big games could have been monster games if not for a few let downs in concentration.

He still catches the ball well. Very well. He's been nothing but impressive with an outstanding catch percentage every year he's been in the league. However, any truly unbiased analysis of Hackett has to end with undecided. The jury is still out. Time will tell.

All that said, I think Hackett is due for a sizable payday. Potential combined with one willing team is all it takes for a player to drastically get overpaid.

I think it is close..... :towelwave:
I agree. Very close.
Bernard Berrian to me seems to have the deep threat skills, but he also has displayed some possession skills at times, that could've been accentuated even more if Grossman was consistently a more accurate QB, especially when pressured. I like Berrian. He has good speed, good instincts and he seems like he can handle a #1 role on a team. What I don't like about him is his separation skills are not as good as other WRs with his speed and abilities. His speed alone makes him a good deep threat, but he seems to have a difficult time shedding defenders, which also might've been a reason why Grossman was picked off as often as he was - simply because Berrian always had a defender on him tight.I think if Berrian lands on a team with a better than average down field passer, who can read a defense well and adjust well, he could be VERY good. Perhaps a team like Philadelphia? Berrian on Philly could just be what Donovan McNabb needs to get him back to the league's elite QBs :goodposting:
The Eagles have Kevin Curtis, who can play that role just fine.They need a true WR1 or at least a WR with size who can beat press coverage. That moves Reggie Brown to the possession receiver (WR2) and KCurtis to the deep threat out of the slot. That's much, much better.
If Berrian did go to the Eagles I envision a WR who dominates the passing game, much like the role TO played. It would knock Curtis and Brown far down the page in terms of numbers. At least that's what I see when I think of Berrian being an Eagle.

I think it is close between Berrian and Hackett re: what they will receive on the open market and their FF potential as some team's WR1. But, that does not mean they will be going to a team as that team's WR1 - for example, Dallas or S.F. (Martz) or Detroit (on the heels of a ROY trade).

Ypui canm't coach speed, so Berrian will be more desirable to a team that needs a deep threat, and Berrian has a propven two year track recvord of being hea;thy and performing as the #1 receiver (he has over 100 targets each of the last two seasons. But Hackett has done much more with his opportunities (though one could argue that is because of a significantly better offense and QB).

Compare:

Hackett's 67.5 overall catch percentage and 13 catches on 20 targets for 6 TDs in the red zone over the last two years with

Berrian's 53% overall catch percentage and 10 catches on 20 targets for 5 TDs in the red zone over the last two years.

Some of that difference can certainly be explained away by "crappy QB, crappy offense" but the fact remains that Hackett was considerably more efficient on considerably fewer opportunities. And when they had similar opps (RZ) Hackett was more productive. Hackett has the injury history, but if you go by a per game analysis, Hackett was clearly the more productive receiver, even accounting for the offense on which ıerrian played.

While you all may want to discount pre-draft analysis and measurables like size when a player has in-league production, will GMs look at Hackett and see more of a "pedigree" and better measurable ability?

I amn not making a case for one over the other. I could see either of them going to any of 10 teams in the league. As per the Eagles, I think they will be looking harder at Hackett than Berrian for the reasons Jeff P. pointed out. And the reason I mentioned Oakland is that I believe Hackett fits that team better than Berrian.

I think it is close..... :thumbup:
To start out do you think the CHI passing offense is in any way close to being the equal of the SEA passing offense in terms of being a WR friendly offense?
Of course not, but Berrian was the #1 WR while Hackett wasn't. I just think Hackett has more talent that Berrian, without the deep threat. If, and big if, Hackett stays healthy, he will outproduce Berrian regardless of the offense, imho.

All of the teams in need are simply going to drive up the price. It's going to be interesting to see who is willing to pay top dollar for someone who would never fit the bill as a #1 WR.

I think it is close..... :lmao:
I agree. Very close.
Bernard Berrian to me seems to have the deep threat skills, but he also has displayed some possession skills at times, that could've been accentuated even more if Grossman was consistently a more accurate QB, especially when pressured. I like Berrian. He has good speed, good instincts and he seems like he can handle a #1 role on a team. What I don't like about him is his separation skills are not as good as other WRs with his speed and abilities. His speed alone makes him a good deep threat, but he seems to have a difficult time shedding defenders, which also might've been a reason why Grossman was picked off as often as he was - simply because Berrian always had a defender on him tight.I think if Berrian lands on a team with a better than average down field passer, who can read a defense well and adjust well, he could be VERY good. Perhaps a team like Philadelphia? Berrian on Philly could just be what Donovan McNabb needs to get him back to the league's elite QBs :lmao:
:lmao: Hackett is very strong and difficult to jam at the line. He's also a good downfield blocker. He missed more than half the 2007 season, BUT had a monster game against the Redskins in the playoffs. That alone made him a bunch of cash this offseason.Hackett would be a very good fit for the Eagles, for all the reasons you described.

I read that the Bears are thinking of franchising Berrian (not that I agree with it, but read some rumors) so the Vikings can't get stronger. I think Hackett would be a good fit for the Vikings and they do have the money. Rice as the WR1, Hackett at WR2 and Wade in the slot, that wouldn't be too bad. (I can dream)

I think it is close..... :nerd:
I agree. Very close.
Bernard Berrian to me seems to have the deep threat skills, but he also has displayed some possession skills at times, that could've been accentuated even more if Grossman was consistently a more accurate QB, especially when pressured. I like Berrian. He has good speed, good instincts and he seems like he can handle a #1 role on a team. What I don't like about him is his separation skills are not as good as other WRs with his speed and abilities. His speed alone makes him a good deep threat, but he seems to have a difficult time shedding defenders, which also might've been a reason why Grossman was picked off as often as he was - simply because Berrian always had a defender on him tight.I think if Berrian lands on a team with a better than average down field passer, who can read a defense well and adjust well, he could be VERY good. Perhaps a team like Philadelphia? Berrian on Philly could just be what Donovan McNabb needs to get him back to the league's elite QBs :shock:
:thumbup: Hackett is very strong and difficult to jam at the line. He's also a good downfield blocker.

He missed more than half the 2007 season, BUT had a monster game against the Redskins in the playoffs. That alone made him a bunch of cash this offseason.

Hackett would be a very good fit for the Eagles, for all the reasons you described.
I'm now pensive about this whole thing.... if the Eagles get him I'll be thrilled, but I've been hoping for a better WR1 for quite a while....Baskett has the size and can block but nowhere near the hands/skills to get open like Hackett. Avant's a possession guy at best.

While I'd love to see Hackett change his shade of green (for more "green", no less), I won't hold my breath.

Hackett would be an easy transition to the Eagles system from the Seahawks, which is definitely a plus. It gives some motivation to the Eagles staff -- he's easier to train, etc.

While I've (like Pasquino?) hoping for Chad/Javon/Randy type WRs, realistically (and more of an Eagles type of move) Hackett fits our needs and our system very nicely. He's also a lot less expensive than those other guys.

Makes sense for many reasons.

Hackett would be an easy transition to the Eagles system from the Seahawks, which is definitely a plus. It gives some motivation to the Eagles staff -- he's easier to train, etc.While I've (like Pasquino?) hoping for Chad/Javon/Randy type WRs, realistically (and more of an Eagles type of move) Hackett fits our needs and our system very nicely. He's also a lot less expensive than those other guys.Makes sense for many reasons.
Same page, GB - same page.....

Of course not, but Berrian was the #1 WR while Hackett wasn't. I just think Hackett has more talent that Berrian, without the deep threat. If, and big if, Hackett stays healthy, he will outproduce Berrian regardless of the offense, imho.
Do you think there is a difference in the coverage faced by Berrian vs. Hackett. In other words, how often does Hackett draw the #1 corner on opposing teams? I am guess that Berrian would facing opposing teams #1 corner the majority of the time.

Stallworth belongs in this discussion too.

I expect Dallas to go after and get either Berrian or Stallworth. Terry Glenn is going to have micro fracture surgery and could very well be done. The Boys need someone to stretch the field, and those 2 can do that.

All of the teams in need are simply going to drive up the price. It's going to be interesting to see who is willing to pay top dollar for someone who would never fit the bill as a #1 WR.
That is not true. Hackett is a #1 WR when he is healthy. He may have had trouble staying healthy last season but he will be a star soon. I still think Seattle re-signs him.

Of course not, but Berrian was the #1 WR while Hackett wasn't.

I just think Hackett has more talent that Berrian, without the deep threat. If, and big if, Hackett stays healthy, he will outproduce Berrian regardless of the offense, imho.
Well, that was another one of my points. He wasn't the #1 receiver on his team(was there a bunch of competetion in SEA to overcome) and Hackett has been injury prone up until now. Those are supposed to be positive points on the side of Hackett? I suppose the fact Berrinan producing roughly the same #'s even on a per game basis with much inferior QB's and in a much inferior passing offense is also some how a point in favor of Hackett?

I've gotta say it...

Is there a WR not named Sidney Rice with more hype than D.J. Hackett?? The guy barely has three 100-yard games in his 33 career games. I know everybody likes to root for the Rudy-like late-round player who emerges from the depths, but I'm amazed by the people who like him better than Kevin Curtis, Mark Clayton, Reggie Brown, Ted Ginn, etc.

The guy is a UFA and he's going from (arguably) the best-case scenario (potential #1 on a pass-friendly offense) to ?????. Great "sell-high" candidate.

I've gotta say it...Is there a WR not named Sidney Rice with more hype than D.J. Hackett?? The guy barely has three 100-yard games in his 33 career games. I know everybody likes to root for the Rudy-like late-round player who emerges from the depths, but I'm amazed by the people who like him better than Kevin Curtis, Mark Clayton, Reggie Brown, Ted Ginn, etc.The guy is a UFA and he's going from (arguably) the best-case scenario (potential #1 on a pass-friendly offense) to ?????. Great "sell-high" candidate.
Just sold him, only cause i was deep at WR......I got R.Grant/KKeith(handcuff)/3.01 for Hackett/3.04. I do like him more than Berrian, but that was pretty solid value imho.

Weiner Dog said:
I've gotta say it...Is there a WR not named Sidney Rice with more hype than D.J. Hackett?? The guy barely has three 100-yard games in his 33 career games. I know everybody likes to root for the Rudy-like late-round player who emerges from the depths, but I'm amazed by the people who like him better than Kevin Curtis, Mark Clayton, Reggie Brown, Ted Ginn, etc.The guy is a UFA and he's going from (arguably) the best-case scenario (potential #1 on a pass-friendly offense) to ?????. Great "sell-high" candidate.
Thank you...they are both fool's gold. I am not saying one may not put up 1000yds, 7 tds next year (and honestly, I think only one will), but the cost they will both come at...just silly!! Thank God the Jets have Coles and Cotchery and will not walk into this mess.

ClownDogs said:
Weiner Dog said:
Just sold him, only cause i was deep at WR......I got R.Grant/KKeith(handcuff)/3.01 for Hackett/3.04. I do like him more than Berrian, but that was pretty solid value imho.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread