What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prymetyme's 2008 rookie RB breakdowns (1 Viewer)

prymetyme25

Footballguy
Disclaimer: I'm not gonna rank these guys untill after the Combine.

Comparisons= By visual comparison

Rating= Total does not equal success as we know success comes from other factor other than physical abilities.

Darren McFadden 6-2/ 215

At first glance of McFadden he looks a lot like AP/LJ simply by size and running style. Once you look into him though you would probably see that these styles are nothing alike. Darren doesn’t run with that added violence that AP or LJ does. He does however run with a more body conscience than the other two. Many of Darren’s run are on the outskirts of the defense and run out of a very unconventional offense. For as big a guy as he is I just didn’t see enough contact to have me completely sold on him. In the bowl game I saw him get folded a couple of times and there were plays that I think the AP/LJ’s of the league would have made that defender pay. Although I’m not calling him a bust but if you think you are getting the same type of runner as AP/LJ you might be disappointed.

Comparison=LJ/AP

Upside= O. J. Simpson

Downside= Tyrone Wheatley

Ratings

Speed=8 Toughness=6.5? Agility=6 Vision=8 Rb IQ=7

Ray Rice 5-9/ 195

After watching a few runs of Rice’s first thought that popped in my head was Marshawn Lynch. He sorta has that unorthodox running style, almost unbalanced. The more I watched him the more I started to see the true comparison which was Shaun Alexander. Like Alexander I don’t think Rice has anything that is particularly special but he just seems to get things done. Good balance, good speed, solid toughness good in between the tackles runner. I think Rice may be the surprise of the draft.

Comparison= Shaun Alexander

Upside= Shaun Alexander

Downside= ATrain

Ratings

Speed=7 Toughness=8 Agility=7 Vision=6.5 Rb IQ=6?

Mike Hart 5-9/ 196

I have made it no secret that I really like Hart. Not for only rb skills but more for his intangibles. Hart is the tradition little/big man syndrome. He plays a lot bigger than he actually is. Very tough, very smart, instinctive runner. He does however get caught from behind too often. In yardage leagues I think Hart is gonna be a guy to have as I see him a being a 100 total yards a game type guy rushing/rec type yards. I don’t expect Hart to grade out well in the combine so I see him dropping to the last round picks unless teams go on college production.

Comparison= Dominic Davis/Williams

Upside= Thurman Thomas

Downside= Dominic Davis/Williams

Ratings

Speed=6 Toughness=8.5 Agility=6 Vision=8 Rb IQ=8

Jamaal Charles 6-1/190

Charles is by far the running back that I’ve seen the most of and I’ve watched him since his freshman year. In those years I’ve seen a lot of growth in Charles. Started out as a track guy who plays football to a football player who happens to be an elite athlete. Reminds me of T.Bell/Justin Fargas but Texas tough. Before UT fans crucify me about the T. Bell comparison I happen to like Bell just don’t think he was tough enough to make it big in the NFL. This past year Charles seemed to have taken his game to another level and Although I am leery of rbs who play with running qbs, Charles showed me that he’s not a product of a system *cough* Cedric Benson*cough*. Although they ran the same zone read offense McCoy is no Young. Charles has also shown me that he has more moves than people think. He shows decent wiggle and footwork and if you give him any air he’s gone. He’s the angle buster. Got these measurements off of another site but I think Charles is closer to 200lbs.

Comparison= T. Bell

Upside= Eric Dickerson

Downside= M. Bennett

Ratings

Speed=10 Toughness=7 Agility=6.5 Vision=8 Rb IQ=7

Jonathan Stewart 5-11/235

You don’t see too many RBS with Stewart’s size/speed ratio he’s big and thickly build. He’s also bottom heavy which I think is why he’s so fast. It also leads me to believe that he has a good shot to be a great rb for a 3-4 year period. I however don’t think he’ll have a very long shelf life.(just a hunch) I admittedly haven’t seen much on him but like Charles rbs who play with highly mobile qbs raise questions for me.

Comparison= Deuce McAllister

Upside= Ronnie Brown

Downside= Michael Turner

Ratings

Speed=8.5 Toughness=8 Agility=6.5? Vision=??? RB IQ=???

Steve Slaton 5-11/195

I really don’t wanna go on a limb here but everything I’ve seen of this guy just says bust. BUST in big letters. I don’t see any wiggle, no real toughness and he plays with an option qb. If you watch this guy and JJ Arrington doesn’t come to mind I don’t know who you are watching. Slaton does however have excellent straight line speed. I hate to be so negative about a player but I just don’t see much I like about Slaton. There is however the chance that he could end up with the right coach/system and flourishing.

Comparison= J.J. Arrington

Upside= Tiki Barber

Downside= J.J. Arrington

Ratings

Speed=9 Toughness=5 Agility=6 Vision=6 RB IQ=6

Rashard Mendenhall 5-11/224 (incomplete)

At first sight of him first name that came to mind was Willis Mcgahee. Then that quickly went away after I saw him run. Keep in mind this footage was from last year but he didn’t really jump off the screen at me. I did however see some of his game against USC and he looks as though he’s come a long way as a runner. He seems to run with great body lean with excellent leg drive. I didn’t see a lot of vision but that could be due to O-line play. Haven’t quite figured out who he reminds me of so I cant give a comparison right now. Anybody feel free to fill in the blanks.

Comparison=????

Upside=????

Downside=????

Ratings

Speed=7.5 Toughness=8.5 Agility=7 Vision=7 RB IQ=????

Kevin Smith 6-1/210

Ya gotta like this kid. He plays with a lot of fire and passion. Does however look more like a wr playing rb. Very lean built. Lots of explosion in his steps. Seems to be a bit of a knucklehead, made a bonehead play against Texas trying to showboat with a front flip to the end zone and stepped out of bounds at the 2 yard line. He did make up for it by scoring on the next play though. Not sure why he went to UFC but he seems to be a very complete back with very surprising toughness.

Comparison= Jerious Norwood

Upside=Curtis Martin

Downside=????

Ratings

Speed=8.5 Toughness=8 Agility=8 Vision=8 RB IQ=6

Felix Jones 6-00/207

Big play guy. Not really sure what you are gonna get but you know you are getting a guy who can make good things happen. Of all the rbs I’ve seen I never seen a guy so comparable to Portis. Like Portis most will say he’s too small to carry a full load, he’s a change of pace back, or 3rd down guy. I see a guy who has a frame to add a few pounds and be a perfect back for a zone blocking scheme.

Comparison=Clinton Portis

Upside= Clinton Portis

Downside= Leon Washington

Ratings

Speed=9 Toughness 7 Agility=8 Vision=7 RB IQ=7

Also to come: Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Tanard Choice, and Justin Forsett.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy.

ETA: Ratings for Smith and Bolding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the opinions, don't necessarily agree with most of 'em, but at least you seem to have watched some of these guys. But I'm not sure how you're projecting the 'UPSIDE' category here. It will be very difficult, to virtually impossible, for any of these guys to achieve a career to the levels of O.J., Dickerson, and Thurman Thomas. Mike Hart and Thurman Thomas in the same sentence doesn't add up to me, other than their height/wt similarities.

And the O.J. and Dickerson comparisons, WOW!!! You do understand that these guys (OJ and ****) are HOFers, and could be considered among the Top 4-5 RBs ever, right? I mean, c'mon man, O.J. ran for 2,000 yds in 14 gms........in frigid Buffalo with a slightly above avg., and I may be a bit generous, o-line, and very little passing game.....

McFadden at least has a decent chance of being special, IMO, but I still would say that if he can accomplish anything near to what guys like O.J. and E.D. did, then we'd all be very fortunate to witness it......

Charles' upside is probably somewhere along the lines of a Clinton Portis, or Willie Parker.......but Dickerson status for him is not even attainable......anything is possible, sure, but not really.....

I like the opinions, don't necessarily agree with most of 'em, but at least you seem to have watched some of these guys. But I'm not sure how you're projecting the 'UPSIDE' category here. It will be very difficult, to virtually impossible, for any of these guys to achieve a career to the levels of O.J., Dickerson, and Thurman Thomas. Mike Hart and Thurman Thomas in the same sentence doesn't add up to me, other than their height/wt similarities. And the O.J. and Dickerson comparisons, WOW!!! You do understand that these guys (OJ and ****) are HOFers, and could be considered among the Top 4-5 RBs ever, right? I mean, c'mon man, O.J. ran for 2,000 yds in 14 gms........in frigid Buffalo with a slightly above avg., and I may be a bit generous, o-line, and very little passing game.....McFadden at least has a decent chance of being special, IMO, but I still would say that if he can accomplish anything near to what guys like O.J. and E.D. did, then we'd all be very fortunate to witness it......Charles' upside is probably somewhere along the lines of a Clinton Portis, or Willie Parker.......but Dickerson status for him is not even attainable......anything is possible, sure, but not really.....
When I say upside I mean as in type of runner/style. Of course not stats as know can predict that. Basically the upside mean that if these guys reach their full potential this is what you could possibly end up with. As far as the Dickerson reference I meant since they were both track guy and track style runners.

Good stuff.

I can't wait to see how you rate Tashard Choice and Matt Forte.

I was impressed with what I saw of them in the Senior Bowl. I like hard nosed runners and both of those guys struck me as such. Forte even ran over Keith Rivers AND Dan Connor on the same play I think!

Both Forte and Choice showed good ability to catch the ball as well. I'd have to go back and see, but I didn't pay attention to their blocking abilities.

I have no interest at all in the guys that are under 200 lbs. Slaton, Hart, and Charles won't be anything close to NFL RB's unless they pack on another 20+ lbs.

I like the opinions, don't necessarily agree with most of 'em, but at least you seem to have watched some of these guys. But I'm not sure how you're projecting the 'UPSIDE' category here. It will be very difficult, to virtually impossible, for any of these guys to achieve a career to the levels of O.J., Dickerson, and Thurman Thomas. Mike Hart and Thurman Thomas in the same sentence doesn't add up to me, other than their height/wt similarities. And the O.J. and Dickerson comparisons, WOW!!! You do understand that these guys (OJ and ****) are HOFers, and could be considered among the Top 4-5 RBs ever, right? I mean, c'mon man, O.J. ran for 2,000 yds in 14 gms........in frigid Buffalo with a slightly above avg., and I may be a bit generous, o-line, and very little passing game.....McFadden at least has a decent chance of being special, IMO, but I still would say that if he can accomplish anything near to what guys like O.J. and E.D. did, then we'd all be very fortunate to witness it......Charles' upside is probably somewhere along the lines of a Clinton Portis, or Willie Parker.......but Dickerson status for him is not even attainable......anything is possible, sure, but not really.....
When I say upside I mean as in type of runner/style. Of course not stats as know can predict that. Basically the upside mean that if these guys reach their full potential this is what you could possibly end up with. As far as the Dickerson reference I meant since they were both track guy and track style runners.
OK, got ya!.....Just in running style, not necessarily production. Yeah, the McFadden-Simpson one I can see some style common points .......not so sure though still on the Hart-Thomas similarity, they seem to be very different, Thomas was much more versatile and a bit more explosive...bu thanks for the clarity.

Kevin Smith is faster than Mendenhall? Although all i have seen from Kevin Smith is the bowl game and youtube videos, the one thing that stook out to me was how slow he seemed to be.

Kevin Smith is faster than Mendenhall? Although all i have seen from Kevin Smith is the bowl game and youtube videos, the one thing that stook out to me was how slow he seemed to be.
I had a very small sample on Mendenhall but he really didn't look extremely fast to me. But like i said what i have on him was from last year and maybe it was indecisiveness but he just didn't have that big time burst. Smith is much more faster than he looks. I had the same impression of him until I saw him against UT and was wondering why they couldn't catch the guy. Plus everything I've read on him says he has good to great speed.

I like the Charles = Bennett comparison as they are both track guys. Problem is, Bennett might be his upside, not his downside.

As a IL. fan I've seen alot of Mendenhall and I will definetly say that if someone takes him as a 1st round pick they will be very disappointed, unless they have a great Oline....and I mean great. I'm my opinion I would rank him about the fifth best rb in this class.

McFadden

Stewart

Rice

F. Jones

Mendenhall/ K. Smith (didn't see him against great talent)

I don't think Mendenhall is as talented as these other players and I really didn't care for him as a person during any interviews I heard him in. He sounded like a Pre Madonna and all he seems to care about is the big payday. I wouldn't trust investing alot of $ in him if I had a first round pick this year.

Interesting. What is football IQ?
When I think of RB IQ it's more like can he think at that position? Is he like a Marshall Faulk who can get a playbook digest it and be on the field in year 1? Or is he like Brandon Jackson who is talented and has natural skills and a hard worker but just doesn't have that IQ as a rb to pick up blitz and make adjustments on the fly. Or maybe I should put Natural Instincts?HTH

As a IL. fan I've seen alot of Mendenhall and I will definetly say that if someone takes him as a 1st round pick they will be very disappointed, unless they have a great Oline....and I mean great. I'm my opinion I would rank him about the fifth best rb in this class.McFaddenStewartRiceF. JonesMendenhall/ K. Smith (didn't see him against great talent)I don't think Mendenhall is as talented as these other players and I really didn't care for him as a person during any interviews I heard him in. He sounded like a Pre Madonna and all he seems to care about is the big payday. I wouldn't trust investing alot of $ in him if I had a first round pick this year.
Funny that you say that, because that was exactly my impression of him.Great job prymetyme, look forward to the updates.

I watched NFL Network a few days ago and they talked about Mendenhall and Stewart. I think it might have been a coach or something but when they talked about the 2, Mendenhall was the fav as he had the burst to the line everyone looks for. when they talked about Stewart they said they just didnt see that burst.

The thing that worries me most about McFadden, is that because of his large upper body he runs too upright, which will could make him injury prone. Of course Eric Dickerson ran with that style and got away with it, so it's no guarantee he will be injury prone with that style, but it is a factor IMO.

The thing that worries me most about McFadden, is that because of his large upper body he runs too upright, which will could make him injury prone. Of course Eric Dickerson ran with that style and got away with it, so it's no guarantee he will be injury prone with that style, but it is a factor IMO.
Honestly, his thin lower body and skinny build worry me more than his upright style. He doesn't seem to have the lateral quickness or power in his lower body to break tackles. Lack of power + lack of elusiveness = difficulty in the NFL. However, he is pretty darn fast, so that may carry him.

I dont think his upright style will lead him to injuries as I think he has more body awareness and doesn't look for contact as other guys with that style. Chris Brown, Eddie George, AP and LJ seem to throw their weight around. Maybe someone should tell Brown to stop though.

I dont think his upright style will lead him to injuries as I think he has more body awareness and doesn't look for contact as other guys with that style. Chris Brown, Eddie George, AP and LJ seem to throw their weight around. Maybe someone should tell Brown to stop though.
The flipside of that coin is that McFadden doesn't break tackles. I'm curious to see how he does in the NFL. In many ways, he's the exact opposite of what you look for in an elite runner (poor lateral agility, high center of gravity, thin lower body, no power).

The flipside of that coin is that McFadden doesn't break tackles. I'm curious to see how he does in the NFL. In many ways, he's the exact opposite of what you look for in an elite runner (poor lateral agility, high center of gravity, thin lower body, no power).
I have the #1 pick in one of my dynasties and I have some serious concerns about the way he runs. If he wasn't such a naturally gifted freak I might not even be considering him right now. But none the less I have Norwood on that team and if DMC is drafted by the Falcons then its a bet.

I have the #1 pick in one of my dynasties and I have some serious concerns about the way he runs. If he wasn't such a naturally gifted freak I might not even be considering him right now. But none the less I have Norwood on that team and if DMC is drafted by the Falcons then its a bet.
Just think, if the Falcons draft McFadden, you could put Norwood's and McFadden's legs together to make one RB.

Felix Jones 6-00/207

Big play guy. Not really sure what you are gonna get but you know you are getting a guy who can make good things happen. Of all the rbs I’ve seen I never seen a guy so comparable to Portis. [Like Portis most will say he’s too small to carry a full load, he’s a change of pace back, or 3rd down guy. I see a guy who has a frame to add a few pounds and be a perfect back for a zone blocking scheme.

Upside= Clinton Portis

Ratings

Enjoy.
:goodposting: Portis is to small to carry a full load?

Season Team Rushing Receiving Fumbles

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Long TD FUM Lost

2007 Washington Redskins 16 16 325 1,262 3.9 32 11 47 389 8.3 54 0 6 5

2006 Washington Redskins 8 7 127 523 4.1 38T 7 17 170 10.0 74 0 -- --

2005 Washington Redskins 16 16 352 1,516 4.3 47T 11 30 216 7.2 23 0 3 2

2004 Washington Redskins 15 15 343 1,315 3.8 64T 5 40 235 5.9 18 2 5 4

2003 Denver Broncos 13 13 290 1,591 5.5 65T 14 38 314 8.3 72 0 3 1

2002 Denver Broncos 16 12 273 1,508 5.5 59 15 33 364 11.0 66T 2 5 3

TOTAL 1,710 7,715 4.5 65 63 205 1,688 8.2 74 4 22 15

Felix Jones 6-00/207

Big play guy. Not really sure what you are gonna get but you know you are getting a guy who can make good things happen. Of all the rbs I’ve seen I never seen a guy so comparable to Portis. [Like Portis most will say he’s too small to carry a full load, he’s a change of pace back, or 3rd down guy. I see a guy who has a frame to add a few pounds and be a perfect back for a zone blocking scheme.

Upside= Clinton Portis

Ratings

Enjoy.
:lmao: Portis is to small to carry a full load?

I think what the OP is saying here is that, like Portis, Jones won't be regarded as a back that can carry a full load, but he believes he can (just as Portis has).

Id

the thing to remember about Mendenhall he was on the worst team of all these RB, the Illini may have made the Rose Bowl with a 9-3 record but they weren't that good. They had a perfect storm brew for them to go 9-3(9-4 after USC). I'd realisticly say his upside is something close to Ryan Grant. Isn't special in any category but can perform everything well and get the job done, but does have close to prototypical size/speed ratio.

the thing to remember about Mendenhall he was on the worst team of all these RB, the Illini may have made the Rose Bowl with a 9-3 record but they weren't that good. They had a perfect storm brew for them to go 9-3(9-4 after USC). I'd realisticly say his upside is something close to Ryan Grant. Isn't special in any category but can perform everything well and get the job done, but does have close to prototypical size/speed ratio.
Tell that to Mike Mayock at the NFL Network. He has Mendenhall as his top RB and #12 overall in the drafthttp://www.nfl.com/photo/photo-gallery?chr...9000d5d8069a146

Felix Jones 6-00/207

Upside= Clinton Portis

Ratings

Enjoy.
:tfp: Portis is to small to carry a full load?

I think what the OP is saying here is that, like Portis, Jones won't be regarded as a back that can carry a full load, but he believes he can (just as Portis has).

Id
I think I was one of the few people who thought Portis would be a special back coming out of college and most people were saying that he was a scat back and not big enough. I knew that was wrong and all he needed was a chance to prove it.

Users who are viewing this thread