What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mendenhall and Stewart (1 Viewer)

Crimson King

Footballguy
Lets forget about college stats and potential situation for a minute and just look at strengths and weaknesses. I admittedly haven't seen much of either of these guys (although Mendenhall's bowl game impressed me) but am trying to determine who is the better talent and I'm not having much luck.

Who do you see as having the better talent and best potential irregardless of situation? Any explanation as to why would be appreciated.

Almost every expert list has them rated in some order at 2 or 3 behind Mcfadden and I'd like some imput. Thanks.

I may still flip-flop on these two, but I'd probably say Stewart right now. He's a little more freakish with a rare combination of strength and speed. He also seems to have better instincts than Mendenhall.

I like both guys though and think they have a pretty good chance at becoming solid starting RBs in the NFL. I've mentioned many times that I think one or both of them could end up being a better pro than Darren McFadden. They both have the combination of physical skills and body type to become true workhorses at the NFL level.

Thanks EBF. I've been leaning towards Stewart as well, but have been flip flopping a lot. Plus, I've read numerous articles saying that Stewart has the propensity to get banged up. It's not weighing heavily on my decision, but its in the back of my mind (being a Caddy and Kevin Jones dynasty owner).

From my observations (however limited) it seems that Mendenhall lacks the flash that can make rookies so appealing, but he does everything very well. In the game against USC, he ran very hard, caught a couple of passes for big gains, and broke a long touchdown.

Unfortunately, the only full game I saw of Stewart, he ran 11 times for 33 yards. Not the best sample. Highlights I saw of him show speed and power.

At this point its a coin flip, but I'll take any perspectives that people have. Rookie drafts are coming up and I want to be as informed as possible.

I may still flip-flop on these two, but I'd probably say Stewart right now. He's a little more freakish with a rare combination of strength and speed. He also seems to have better instincts than Mendenhall. I like both guys though and think they have a pretty good chance at becoming solid starting RBs in the NFL. I've mentioned many times that I think one or both of them could end up being a better pro than Darren McFadden. They both have the combination of physical skills and body type to become true workhorses at the NFL level.
Calling Stewart "Freakish" doesnt seem to line up with his production at Oregon. I mean, Looks like he has all the tools to play the part of a good NFL back, but was he a stud stand out or not? He didnt seem to get a ton of press, he did finish his bowl with a bang.Im just asking....

Calling Stewart "Freakish" doesnt seem to line up with his production at Oregon. I mean, Looks like he has all the tools to play the part of a good NFL back, but was he a stud stand out or not? He didnt seem to get a ton of press, he did finish his bowl with a bang.Im just asking....
He rushed for 1,722 yards last season on 280 carries. He bench presses over 400 pounds, he has the second highest power clean in Oregon football history behind Ravens DT Haloti Ngata, and he's probably going to run the 40 in under 4.5 seconds. I'd say he's pretty freakish.

I think if you are talking about FF perspective where they end up will be huge......I like Stewart more for most of the reasons that have been mentioned(his Strength and speed). I really like the 1.03 pick in rookie drafts......not going to be a tough decision

I personally believe Mendenhall could be the safer FF play in '08...of course a lot depends on where they end up but Mendenhall is very well suited for the pro game IMHO.

Stewart may take a couple of years to get up to speed... the same way Steven Jackson did.

I personally believe Mendenhall could be the safer FF play in '08...of course a lot depends on where they end up but Mendenhall is very well suited for the pro game IMHO.Stewart may take a couple of years to get up to speed... the same way Steven Jackson did.
If Faulk is not in STL Jackson is at Full speed from day one. He averaged 5 y/c in his rookie season.

I personally believe Mendenhall could be the safer FF play in '08...of course a lot depends on where they end up but Mendenhall is very well suited for the pro game IMHO.Stewart may take a couple of years to get up to speed... the same way Steven Jackson did.
If Faulk is not in STL Jackson is at Full speed from day one. He averaged 5 y/c in his rookie season.
we'll have to agree to disagree...a lot of players sport lofty YPCs with limited carries. Jackson was not ready to be a workhorse in year 1.

Lets forget about college stats and potential situation for a minute and just look at strengths and weaknesses. I admittedly haven't seen much of either of these guys (although Mendenhall's bowl game impressed me) but am trying to determine who is the better talent and I'm not having much luck.

Who do you see as having the better talent and best potential irregardless of situation? Any explanation as to why would be appreciated.

Almost every expert list has them rated in some order at 2 or 3 behind Mcfadden and I'd like some imput. Thanks.
I've broken down some of the tape on these guys here.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...amp;pid=8112658

Its funny that you bring up Jackson in comparison to Stewart Lhucks because I've been thinking that same thing. Both played in the Pac-10 and had similar final college seasons. I do agree with the fact that Mendenhall seems to be a fairly safe play to be a good NFL running back and has less question marks than Stewart (I may be off base here, but I've seen more questions with Stewart as opposed to Mendenhall, especially in terms of durability). Those of you who watched either of them, what stuck out to you in regards to their play?

we'll have to agree to disagree...a lot of players sport lofty YPCs with limited carries. Jackson was not ready to be a workhorse in year 1.
I disagree. If no faulk, then no problem with SJax being a stud from day 1. Sure he wouldn't be up to speed with blocking schemes and the passing game, but as a runner, stud it is from day 1 if given the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Stewart a little more, he just seems more explosive and powerful.

I actually think Felix Jones could be better than either of them, he just needs to go to the right team(pass-first team)

No comparison. Stewart is the better back, IMO. Both play in an option oriented offense, but Stewart outclasses Mendenhall in the areas of balance, power, top-end speed, and elusiveness. Mendenhall might actually have difficulty getting outside in a traditional offense. Although both came from an option system, Stewart has shown on film that he can make the most of smaller creases and get around the corner without the threat of a running QB better than Mendhenhall.

Mendenhall looked like the second coming of Vernon Davis at the College Challenge that was on ESPN the other day. Dude was ripped and huge! Stewart wasn't small by any means, but even the commentators kept going on about Mendenhall...not so much Stewart.

That said, I'm not sure there is that big of a difference between the two. But it appears that Stewart has more of the "freakish" athletic abilities for his size.

I may still flip-flop on these two, but I'd probably say Stewart right now. He's a little more freakish with a rare combination of strength and speed. He also seems to have better instincts than Mendenhall. I like both guys though and think they have a pretty good chance at becoming solid starting RBs in the NFL. I've mentioned many times that I think one or both of them could end up being a better pro than Darren McFadden. They both have the combination of physical skills and body type to become true workhorses at the NFL level.
He's had some nagging injuries that have held him back.

I personally believe Mendenhall could be the safer FF play in '08...of course a lot depends on where they end up but Mendenhall is very well suited for the pro game IMHO.

Stewart may take a couple of years to get up to speed... the same way Steven Jackson did.
What's your basis for this conclusion?

I haven't seen Stewart as much as I would have liked, but I did like what I saw...

Saw plenty of Mendenhall, think he and Thomas Jones are pretty similar, probably the safer pick between the two...

The combine probably determines who goes where

Gamma1210 said:
Who has the better hands for us PPR guys?
Mendenhall.Did you guys watch the NCAA skills contest last week? RM hands were better than Stewarts.
if there is one offseason event involving NFL prospects that you should ignore, its that one.

I like Stewart a little more, he just seems more explosive and powerful.I actually think Felix Jones could be better than either of them, he just needs to go to the right team(pass-first team)
:goodposting: Don't know completely why, but I really like Jones. Put him in Houston or Cincy and he's my #2.

Gamma1210 said:
Mendenhall.Did you guys watch the NCAA skills contest last week? RM hands were better than Stewarts.
His hands were much better than Stewart's that day - in fact Stewart couldn't catch a cold that day, putting him down a little in my books.The one thing I noticed about Mendenhall that impressed me (although not likely to matter FF wise), was that he spoke really well and seemed pretty clued in.

awesomeness said:
Gamma1210 said:
if there is one offseason event involving NFL prospects that you should ignore, its that one.
He still caught the ball better and looked to be much more physical. I don't care where it was.

I think we're going to do a Mendenhall v. Stewart Face Off over at Draftguys as soon as I finish the Mendenhall break down the tape. I haven't decided who I like better just yet.

There are still a lot of important unknown data points like how high these guys go in the draft, who drafts them, and how well they perform in the drills in their workouts. But I do think there's a nice cluster of RB value there with Stewart, Mendenhall, and Jones. I haven't talked a lot about Jones, but he's someone I'll be tracking closely over the next few months.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I definitely think we could see one or two of these guys emerge as better pro runners than McFadden. It will be an interesting debate in the coming months.

He still caught the ball better and looked to be much more physical. I don't care where it was.
Mendenhall has 46 receptions in the last 2 years, while Stewart has 42. I dont doubt that Mendenhall is a better receiver out of the backfield, but I trust the stats a lot more than how they looked at the NFL prospect skill competition.

Mendenhall has 46 receptions in the last 2 years, while Stewart has 42. I dont doubt that Mendenhall is a better receiver out of the backfield, but I trust the stats a lot more than how they looked at the NFL prospect skill competition.
Have you seen them play? Not knocking, but the eyeball test is crucial to me. College stats can be grossly misleading.

ETA - I've seen just a little of each.

Mendenhall appears to be an average pass receiver IMO. Good enough, but not an obvious natural.

Stewart I couldn't yet say.

Have you seen them play? Not knocking, but the eyeball test is crucial to me. College stats can be grossly misleading.
besides youtube, the only game where i have watched either of them was their junior bowl games. Mendenhall looked good, but Stewart looked like a man playing among boys.

the reception totals over the past 2years are inconclusive since Rashard was catching passes from Juice Williams. Stewart was catching passes from a Heisman finalist(till injury) over the past 2years. Juice and the Illini's other QB(Mcgee) are very young and severely lacking in development as QB's to this point. Rashard was the Illini offense(with a few sprinkings of Arrelious Benn this year)

the reception totals over the past 2years are inconclusive since Rashard was catching passes from Juice Williams. Stewart was catching passes from a Heisman finalist(till injury) over the past 2years. Juice and the Illini's other QB(Mcgee) are very young and severely lacking in development as QB's to this point. Rashard was the Illini offense(with a few sprinkings of Arrelious Benn this year)
That arguement works better with WR, since 95+% of RBs receptions are screens and short hitches, which doesnt require an All-American QB to perform.

I think the better discussion would be who's better -- Mendenhall or McFadden.
???Is this for real?
I must admit I was also quite surprised by this but apparently some guys are beginning to lean this way - nfl.com's draft expert Mike Mayock for example has ranked Mendenhall ahead of McFadden in his latest RB rankings (updated Febr. 6th).Link to the rankings

I haven't yet heard him explain the reason for the shift in the rankings but for some reason there appears to be a hype around Mendenhall at the moment. There may also be a video clip where he does some explaining somewhere around the site. but I haven't found it at this point.

I find the hype for players at this point rather odd. I can understand hype coming after the Senior Bowl week, a Pro Day, the Combine or anything football related but I tend to be sceptical towards early hype seemingly based on little action on the field or tests. A lot of the respective future success of the big three RBs in this draft will be decided from destination and while Mendenhall no doubt has a lot of upside he also appear to be the riskiest pick of the big three imo (but I might be proved wrong in the coming months).

I think the better discussion would be who's better -- Mendenhall or McFadden.
???Is this for real?
I agree with Mayock, after watching the clips of both RB's, it's hard to tell them the apart. Both are freak athletes, and both have the extra burst needed to be considered elite at the next level(see Mendenhall's big gains versus USC for proof). Mendenhall(or Stewart/Jones) will probably end up in a mutch better situation, so I'm rolling the dice on him. After scouts get a look at Mendenhall at the combine, I'm sure a few will jump ship as well...

Users who are viewing this thread