What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Harrison's value in a dynasty league (1 Viewer)

Portis 26

Madden Freak
Just what value does Marvin Harrison have in a dynasty league?

The fact that he missed nearly all of the last season with a mysterious knee injury that refused to go away is a major red flag.

As of course is his age.

But that having been said, he has some upside for next year. If he is back to full health, no reason he can't enjoy another couple of very productive seasons.

If you trade him away, you will likely not get very much for him.

If you trade for him, you could get him pretty cheap, but he's a bit risky.

If you own him, probably best to hold him and see what happens over the summer.

Why is he risky? Seems like a no-risk/high reward type of player.
Because there is a point during the career of every productive veteran WR when after coasting along for season after season of high production suddenly something just goes and they are "done". Is Harrison "done"? He could be, we really don't know.

Age, health, and surrounding talent passing him all come to mind.
You guys are missing the point.If you're trading a late second-round pick for someone like Harrison (or the equivalent of a late second-rounder), that's INCREDIBLY low-risk.You're not thinking of the word 'risk' properly.
Agreed, but the valuation of a 2nd rounder was an individual one - I would have thought he would generally command more than that.Personally I have Marvin in nearly every dynasty league and am holding on to him.

The Colts want their records back from Brady and Company.

They need Marvin for this. Marvin wont go out like he did last year. Id expect him to return to form - with Gonzalez moving into that Brandon Stokley roll from a few years back.

Id expect Marvin next year to be about 75-80 Catches - 1100- 1250 yrds and 8-10 TDs.

Id expect Marvin next year to be about 75-80 Catches - 1100- 1250 yrds and 8-10 TDs.
:mellow:
I know...I think Harrison will put up better numbers also.......
Touche'Honestly, is 1100/8 a realistic number for this guy? He's 35, has a bad wheel, and another guy has developed to take some catches. I'd love to see this... I'm a fan of Harrison's, but I just can't believe it. 700/6 sounds much more likely to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Age, health, and surrounding talent passing him all come to mind.
You guys are missing the point.If you're trading a late second-round pick for someone like Harrison (or the equivalent of a late second-rounder), that's INCREDIBLY low-risk.You're not thinking of the word 'risk' properly.
Agreed. I think in most leagues you're better off holding onto him unless you can make him part of a larger package.

He is certainly hold at this point. I dont see anyone wanting to put out very much for an old guy coming off a brutal season. He is either the final piece for a contender if you get him for a 2nd or you hold him and hope that he starts out well and is the piece someone in contention needs. That is where you will get your better value in the end. Before the draft hype starts like it has now

Just what value does Marvin Harrison have in a dynasty league?The fact that he missed nearly all of the last season with a mysterious knee injury that refused to go away is a major red flag.As of course is his age.But that having been said, he has some upside for next year. If he is back to full health, no reason he can't enjoy another couple of very productive seasons.If you trade him away, you will likely not get very much for him.If you trade for him, you could get him pretty cheap, but he's a bit risky.If you own him, probably best to hold him and see what happens over the summer.
I have Harrison on my Dynasty team and would take a 2nd rounder for Him in a second.

Just what value does Marvin Harrison have in a dynasty league?The fact that he missed nearly all of the last season with a mysterious knee injury that refused to go away is a major red flag.As of course is his age.But that having been said, he has some upside for next year. If he is back to full health, no reason he can't enjoy another couple of very productive seasons.If you trade him away, you will likely not get very much for him.If you trade for him, you could get him pretty cheap, but he's a bit risky.If you own him, probably best to hold him and see what happens over the summer.
I have Harrison on my Dynasty team and would take a 2nd rounder for Him in a second.
I stand corrected

I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd rounder, but I would look to add him in a package deal. My current dyno team is hurting short term at WR, so purchasing Harrison for a quick fix is certainly a possibility - just need to find the right deal.

I traded Desean Jackson for Thomas Jones and Marvin in a 14 team PPR dynasty. Maybe kind of risky, but I needed some depth.

I personally would be trying to unload him for all I could about now. Between last offseason and this year, I have not seen much to make me get the warm and fuzzies over MH. He almost retired before this year and from what I have heard was the one none to eager to get back on the field this year. That being said, I would not be shocked if he retired.

So I personally do not see anymore great seasons coming from MH any time soon. I would be surprised even if he did come back that he would be a monster every again as it no longer seems like his heart and desire is what it used to be.

I traded Harrison and the Bengals Chris Henry for DeAngelo Williams.

Harrison seems like a guy who needs to be traded in a package deal if you hope to get anything of value for him.

it no longer seems like his heart and desire is what it used to be.
Age, injuries, and owning a Champion's ring will do that to a guy. There's a point where it doesn't matter as much anymore once you get the $$$ and/or the ring.Being able to walk or play with the kids becomes much more of a priority.

Marvin Harrison will be 36 during the preseason. Using our historical Date Dominator, I plugged in some arbitrary stats.....55 REC800 YDS5 TDsI think we would agree that those aren't even WR2 stats, maybe not even WR3. This list of seasons is for any season in which the player was 36 or older....

NAME POS YR AGE EXP G REC RECYD YD/REC RECTD FANT PT1 Joey Galloway wr 2007 36 13 15 57 1014 17.79 6 137.502 Jimmy Smith wr 2005 36 14 16 70 1023 14.61 6 138.303 Jerry Rice wr 2002 40 18 16 92 1211 13.16 7 165.104 Cris Carter wr 2001 36 15 16 73 871 11.93 6 123.505 Jerry Rice wr 2001 39 17 16 83 1139 13.72 9 167.906 Jerry Rice wr 2000 38 16 16 75 805 10.73 7 122.307 Jerry Rice wr 1999 37 15 16 67 830 12.39 5 114.308 Jerry Rice wr 1998 36 14 16 82 1157 14.11 9 169.709 Charlie Joiner wr 1985 38 17 16 59 932 15.80 7 135.20
5 guys have been able to accomplish those #s. This obviously confirms what we all know, that Rice was indeed the greatest ever, but the fact that only 4 other guys have done it tells me Marvin has a slim chance of approaching those #s. And none of these players IIRC were coming off a season in which the missed 11 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not finding much about recovering from a ruptured bursa sac. Any orthopedics out there that can shed light on the injury?

I did find an article (5th paragraph) That Peyton Manning ruptured a bursa sac in college and he appears to have recovered fine. (But a WR's knees take more of a pounding than your typical QB. And, of course, Harrison is a lot older today than Manning was in college. (duh))

Albeit I don't have all the answers I want, I'll throw my hat in the "hold" column.

You have to hold until he starts to perform like his old self...soon as he puts up some respectable or Marvin like numbers...that is the time.

Bizkiteer said:
You have to hold until he starts to perform like his old self...soon as he puts up some respectable or Marvin like numbers...that is the time.
Morehead is worth more at this time, and for the long road ahead.Marvin is done.

Bizkiteer said:
Morehead is worth more at this time, and for the long road ahead.Marvin is done.
Morehead is worthless long term. Now Anthony Gonzalez is a different story.

id rather hear how valuable people think A.Gonzalez is. If I had Harrison, I would probably keep him because his value is so low after the season he just had

Probably have to hold. You won't get a young guy with upside for him. Best IMO that you could get is someone like Darrell Jackson (someone that did it in the past but showed nothing in 2007).

Harrison could certainly drop off the face of the planet. But in today's HGH world, age ain't quite what it was 20 years ago. While I think his best years are behind him, I wouldn't be willing to wager a testicle on <1300 yards next year.

I dont have marvin in any of my dynasty leagues but I have welker and both seem like a "hold" to me. Neither one has alot of value which puzzles me on welker due to his age and the offense he plays in.

You have to hold and hope he comes back and has a good year. Then trade him mid-year, assuming he is doing well, for a first round pick. Best you will do now is a second round pick.

You have to hold and hope he comes back and has a good year. Then trade him mid-year, assuming he is doing well, for a first round pick. Best you will do now is a second round pick.
I don't think a getting a 2009 1st right now would be out of the question if you can find a team that thinks he would be the final piece of the puzzle.

Sell!Fake Edit: to go more in-detail... I don't think Harrison has any seasons left as a fantasy WR1. I think he has at most 2 more seasons as a startable fantasy WR (meaning WR3 or better), and that's at most. I wouldn't be totally shocked if he finished as a WR1 or had 3 years left, but I would be pretty darn surprised, and you have to trust your projections. Basically, he's Eddie Kennison last year, except with name-brand perception.

Just to clear up a misconception... there's nothing wrong with trading low, what you don't want to do is trade LOWEST. Marvin Harrison's value is low right now. If you think it's only going to get lower, then now is still the time to trade him.

Users who are viewing this thread