What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Irons C.Perry Watson (1 Viewer)

Im puzzled here cause i always bee a fan of MR INJURY PRONE himself and now Irons is falling into his footsteps and then we have Watson who played very well.

Who is the one that could very well be the starter in 08 for the bengles?

Perry is the most talented of all of them. Unfortunately, he can't be counted on. I look for Irons to challenge for the job and eventually take over for Rudi. Watson will go back to his 3rd down duties.

It depends.

Can Perry get to 100%?

Can Irons get to 100%?

They both have starting potential if they can get healthy. The trouble is that Perry has been a walking injury for the duration of his NFL career. He's suffered so many injuries and been on the shelf for so long that he might not ever be the same player he was a few years back.

Irons should be back from the ACL injury and could be a factor. He has more talent than most people acknowledge. The problem with him is that he runs violent like a big back, but he doesn't have the sturdy body type to take the punishment. He's probably best suited to a change-of-pace role.

It's an ugly situation, but if you use late flyers on both Perry and Irons then you might net a top 20 dynasty back. Then again, you might net nothing. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
DeDe Dorsey should be in the conversation, no so much for the starting job but in terms of who will be on the roster. It seemed the coaches were drawing up new plays for him every week late in the season.

-QG

Irons should be the guy if his knee is healthy

Rudi is used up, Watson is just filler, and Perry is a fragile little girl.

Let them all compete in camp and see which one wins out / stays healthy. I've always loved Perry's upside, but wouldn't be suprised to see him cut. I'd like to see him get one more chance to try and be healthy. Watson is servicable, Irons has upside, and I agree with the above poster on including Dorsey in the conversation.

Perry is the most talented of all of them. Unfortunately, he can't be counted on. I look for Irons to challenge for the job and eventually take over for Rudi. Watson will go back to his 3rd down duties.
This is how I see it but I wouldn't invest too much in any of these guys because there is also a chance that they will bring in another FA veteran or rookie to compete.

I like the RBBC between watson/irons if rudi is cut... but i fully expect Irons to gradually seperate himself as the clear featured back.

None of the above. If I were the Bengals, I would try to start over...very difficult task, but they have five RB2s and no clear cut guy that can carry them. Rudi is just wearing down, Perry just can't be counted on, Irons is coming off of a significant injury (and we still don't even know what he can do when healthy) and Watson played very well, but has been a career backup for a reason.

They need to make a move in FA or draft especially if CJ is moved because I think they will be depending on the passing game even more next year.

I don't know what's going to happen, but Kenny Irons isn't the answer...nor was he last year. They have too many needs on D and the OLine to worry about RB this year, but if it doesn't get better in 08 it should be a priority in 09. My best guess right now is

-Rudi continues his 2 down role...at least at the start of the year

-Kenny Watson is the 3DRB and in obvious passing situations, Chris Perry competes for the spot if healthy but as we all know that's a very big if

-Irons is the primary backup and DeDe Dorsey will be on the practice squad assuming he clears waivers after the Sep 1 cuts

What happens from there is anyone's guess.

I wouldn't write off Rudi just yet, the guy got hurt and then came back too soon and was ineffective until he re-injured himself. He'll be 100% for next year and his competition is a career 3rd down back and two guys coming off major injuries who have proven next to nothing on the NFL level.

Another poster mentioned Cincy getting another back this offseason, I don't see it, they have WAY too many holes on defense and maybe the o-line to worry about getting a new RB.

Look for Rudi to churn out another solid(not great) season likely Watson and Irons spelling him.

1200-10 isn't out of the question(as his upside). He should be a fine RB3 this season.

If Rudi blows a tire, i see a RBBC with Irons and Watson. In which case i would take Watson over Irons as Watson would likely get the goal line carries, and the better portion of the RBBC.

As far as I'm concerned, any of the four could wind up being RB3 quality next year... but I'm not really that concerned about players with an RB3 upside. I've got Irons and Perry rostered because I think they're the only two with an RB2 or RB1 upside. I'd bet that Rudi or Watson probably outproduces both Irons and Perry, but who would you rather have- a guy getting a guaranteed 600 yards rushing, or a guy with a 10% shot at 1200 yards rushing and a 90% chance at nothing? I'd take the second guy, because while the first guy might outscore the second nine times out of ten, there's no conceivable scenario where the first guy should see your starting lineup, so it's all irrelevant anyway.

This has been discussed before, but Rudi's contract is very cap friendly. It's unlikely he's going anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, any of the four could wind up being RB3 quality next year... but I'm not really that concerned about players with an RB3 upside. I've got Irons and Perry rostered because I think they're the only two with an RB2 or RB1 upside. I'd bet that Rudi or Watson probably outproduces both Irons and Perry, but who would you rather have- a guy getting a guaranteed 600 yards rushing, or a guy with a 10% shot at 1200 yards rushing and a 90% chance at nothing? I'd take the second guy, because while the first guy might outscore the second nine times out of ten, there's no conceivable scenario where the first guy should see your starting lineup, so it's all irrelevant anyway.
Your assumption assumes that there is no value in having depth.

None of the above. If I were the Bengals, I would try to start over...very difficult task, but they have five RB2s and no clear cut guy that can carry them. Rudi is just wearing down, Perry just can't be counted on, Irons is coming off of a significant injury (and we still don't even know what he can do when healthy) and Watson played very well, but has been a career backup for a reason.

They need to make a move in FA or draft especially if CJ is moved because I think they will be depending on the passing game even more next year.
While I agree with the overall, the reason Watson has been a career backup has been that his first year was on a team with Stephen Davis (when he was a beast) sharing time with Ladell Betts, and then on a team with Rudi (and Cory Dillion for a while) so he hasn't gotten much time due to the quality of players he's running with. He also missed a year to injury. As you point out, he played very well last year. He's also played very well each year he's been in the league. He's just had some premier players in front of him, until now. At the age of 30 though, he's only a one or two year play for the Bengals. They do need to look to retool at RB.

Your assumption assumes that there is no value in having depth.
No it doesn't, it assumes that depth is very easy and very cheap to acquire, while starter-caliber players are not, and that therefore even potentially starter-caliber players are drastically more valuable.

Marvin Lewis interview summary

-- Injuries at running back make it an area where the team will investigate adding new players, though Lewis added that he is encouraged that Rudi Johnson will return as an invigorated, re-energized player after a 2007 season marred by a hamstring injury. Lewis called Johnson a "prideful young man."

-- The Bengals are hopeful to get production from oft-injured Chris Perry but were "a little bit unsure" about Kenny Irons at running back.
the unsure is in quotes too

Sounds like Rudi is the still the plan to me.

I wouldn't put it out of the question for the Bengals to go after a guy like Mewelde Moore or similar level player if not too expensive though.

This has been discussed before, but Rudi's contract is very cap friendly. It's unlikely he's going anywhere.
:goodposting: As a Watson Owner who thinks he could post RB2 numbers (PPR) next year if he had the job, this is clearly the best posting so far. Unless Rudi is hurt, it's his job.

Irons should be the guy if his knee is healthyRudi is used up, Watson is just filler, and Perry is a fragile little girl.
How is Rudi "Used up"? He injury issues in 2007(hammy) which should not be a problem for him in 2008. He has been a very productive player every other year.

Rudi has lost a step and some power. Bad for a power back who wasnt fast in the first place. That said, the line played horribly last year and certainly contributed to the poor rushing stats. I like Dorsey as a darkhorse 3rd down guy.

Irons should be the guy if his knee is healthyRudi is used up, Watson is just filler, and Perry is a fragile little girl.
How is Rudi "Used up"? He injury issues in 2007(hammy) which should not be a problem for him in 2008. He has been a very productive player every other year.
His aggregate numbers might tell a story of production, but his play on the field in 2006 was simply not very good. He was basically just Reuben Droughns v2.0 that year, and of course this last year he was terrible, injury notwithstanding.If you're into DVOA or other advanced metrics... in 2006, Rudi's DVOA ranked 32nd out of 53 RBs, while his backup (Watson) would have had the second highest DVOA in the league if he'd had enough carries to qualify. And in 2007, Rudi was catastrophic, finishing 53rd out of 56 in DVOA ahead only of Benson, Foster, and Reggie Bush. Watson finished last season ranked 15th in DVOA. Rudi's really starting to look like a guy who has carried the ball 1,000 times over a 3-year span... which is expected, since he HAS carried the ball 1,000 times over a 3-year span. Generally, once the legs start to go, RBs rarely get them back.

His aggregate numbers might tell a story of production, but his play on the field in 2006 was simply not very good. He was basically just Reuben Droughns v2.0 that year, and of course this last year he was terrible, injury notwithstanding.If you're into DVOA or other advanced metrics... in 2006, Rudi's DVOA ranked 32nd out of 53 RBs, while his backup (Watson) would have had the second highest DVOA in the league if he'd had enough carries to qualify. And in 2007, Rudi was catastrophic, finishing 53rd out of 56 in DVOA ahead only of Benson, Foster, and Reggie Bush. Watson finished last season ranked 15th in DVOA. Rudi's really starting to look like a guy who has carried the ball 1,000 times over a 3-year span... which is expected, since he HAS carried the ball 1,000 times over a 3-year span. Generally, once the legs start to go, RBs rarely get them back.
I think all you said speaks more to the fact that Rudi was never 100% in 2007. A healthy Rudi is way better than anyone else on that roster......and it's not close

I think all you said speaks more to the fact that Rudi was never 100% in 2007. A healthy Rudi is way better than anyone else on that roster......and it's not close
I also fail to see the relevance of trotting out Watson as a comparison statistic for 2006. He had a grand total of 25 carries that year.

A healthy Rudi was the 32nd best RB in the NFL in 2006.
I also fail to see the relevance of trotting out Watson as a comparison statistic for 2006. He had a grand total of 25 carries that year.
It is an incredibly small sample size, yes, but Watson's performance last season suggests to me that it cannot simply be dismissed. He performed well above average in both seasons, while Rudi performed well below average in both seasons.

It is an incredibly small sample size, yes, but Watson's performance last season suggests to me that it cannot simply be dismissed. He performed well above average in both seasons, while Rudi performed well below average in both seasons.
I am not sure what you mean by 32nd best RB(not sure what DVOA is) in 2006.......he was 7th in Rushing yards....8th in TD's.....4th in Rushing Att.......so where are you coming up with 32nd best?

I am not sure what you mean by 32nd best RB(not sure what DVOA is) in 2006.......he was 7th in Rushing yards....8th in TD's.....4th in Rushing Att.......so where are you coming up with 32nd best?
Those first two statistics are pretty much wholly explained by that third statistic. If you finish 4th in rushing attempts, you're going to get a lot of yards and TDs. Johnson only averaged 3.8 yards per carry in 2006, which is not good (generally, 4.0 is the lower end of mediocre, and anything below that is "not good"). LenDale White this year averaged 3.6 ypc, which is the same neighborhood- would you call LenDale White a good RB?Anyway, DVOA is just a really fancy stat that incorporates a bunch of different elements, but basically measures how you do on each individual play and compares it to league average, then rewards RBs who do things that actually contribute to team success. If you run for 8 yards on 3rd and 10, that's hardly worth anything. If you run for 2 yards on 3rd and 1, on the other hand, that's worth a lot. Raw yardage or ypc doesn't take situation into consideration, but DVOA does, which makes it a superior stat.

Irons is the most explosive runner on the team when healthy IMHO...right now he's a huge value play.

Watson is best suited in a 3rd down role and Rudi's best days may be behind him and Perry sucks.

Go after Irons if you're looking for a high risk/high reward play.

Irons is the most explosive runner on the team when healthy IMHO...right now he's a huge value play. Watson is best suited in a 3rd down role and Rudi's best days may be behind him and Perry sucks.Go after Irons if you're looking for a high risk/high reward play.
I disagree. I think Watson showed he can do the job on all downs. Yes, he's particularly good on third downs and when having to share time with another back, you'll see him in there on third downs more but when he was given the opportunity last year, he was a very solid start.We don't even know that about Irons who was injured. This guy could be a bust. What we know is this, Watson can do the job. If you want to go with what you know, go with Watson. Irons is much more of a risk IMO. If risk=value play in your vocab, then so be it.

Irons is the most explosive runner on the team when healthy IMHO...right now he's a huge value play. Watson is best suited in a 3rd down role and Rudi's best days may be behind him and Perry sucks.Go after Irons if you're looking for a high risk/high reward play.
Perry sucks? That's incorrect.. injury prone.. but skill wise.. he's the best RB on the team. He also has better hands than their stud receivers.

Perry sucks? That's incorrect.. injury prone.. but skill wise.. he's the best RB on the team. He also has better hands than their stud receivers.
:popcorn: And Irons is listed at 5'11" and 200 lbs, which is not #1 NFL running back size.

2004 he played 2 games, had zero TD and ranked 149 as RB in fantasy points.2005 He played 14 games, scored 2 Td's and did catch the ball 51 times and ranked 45 in fantasy points.2006- played 6 games, caught the ball 9 times and didn't score. Ranked 109 in fantasy points.First 3 years in the league, 2 out of 3 years he didn't score. His big year he scored 2 TD's and averages 7 games per year, which is less than half a season.Sucks is a very vague term. I think what you're saying is IF this guy could play a full season, he wouldn't suck. But you're using an IF. A lot of people could use an IF when talking about fantasy football. IF Michael Turner started an entire year, he might get 1500 yards.The bottom line IS what he has done the 3 years I posted above. For a running back, Lhucks is correct, it sucks. He has sucked since he's been in the NFL. Please make an argument for him not sucking and please don't use IF's, like IF he was healthy.

2004 he played 2 games, had zero TD and ranked 149 as RB in fantasy points.2005 He played 14 games, scored 2 Td's and did catch the ball 51 times and ranked 45 in fantasy points.2006- played 6 games, caught the ball 9 times and didn't score. Ranked 109 in fantasy points.First 3 years in the league, 2 out of 3 years he didn't score. His big year he scored 2 TD's and averages 7 games per year, which is less than half a season.Sucks is a very vague term. I think what you're saying is IF this guy could play a full season, he wouldn't suck. But you're using an IF. A lot of people could use an IF when talking about fantasy football. IF Michael Turner started an entire year, he might get 1500 yards.The bottom line IS what he has done the 3 years I posted above. For a running back, Lhucks is correct, it sucks. He has sucked since he's been in the NFL. Please make an argument for him not sucking and please don't use IF's, like IF he was healthy.
He's not saying he sucks because of his stats and fantasy numbers... he's saying he doesn't have talent. I think he does have talent. I can't say he's a stud, but you can't say he sucks either, we don't have the data to back it up because he's always been injured. My arguments for him not sucking are that he almost broke the bengals RB recieving record while backing up Rudi, and when he gets a few carries in, he's getting good yards on the attempt. He also makes a good Bengals O great. They haven't been the same on offense since 05. I just don't see how the verdict can be he sucks when we haven't seen him get his chance.

:thumbup: And Irons is listed at 5'11" and 200 lbs, which is not #1 NFL running back size.
Tell that to Warrick Dunn and Tiki Barber. The not starting NFL running back size is a myth, if you're good you're good.

He's not saying he sucks because of his stats and fantasy numbers... he's saying he doesn't have talent. I think he does have talent. I can't say he's a stud, but you can't say he sucks either, we don't have the data to back it up because he's always been injured. My arguments for him not sucking are that he almost broke the bengals RB recieving record while backing up Rudi, and when he gets a few carries in, he's getting good yards on the attempt. He also makes a good Bengals O great. They haven't been the same on offense since 05. I just don't see how the verdict can be he sucks when we haven't seen him get his chance.
Well, any RB in the NFL has some degree of talent, so maybe he didn't have his morning coffee yet. He started for the univeristy of Michigan and did a fine job, so he does have some talent.Anytime you catch the ball 51 times in a season as an RB, you at least deserve a prop. So, I give him a prop for that.However, looking at his inflated YPC. I don't give him a prop for that because he's obviously in on passing situationis, hence the receptions he got that year. Now, when you're in for a passing situation and the defense expects pass and instead, you do a draw play. Getting 5 or 7 yards on that draw play when it's 3rd and 13 means very little. What's worse.....he's not even a full time guy nor has even ever been a full time guy in the pros and he can't stay healthy.Can you imagine if the Bengals went into the season thinking this is the guy who we're gonna give the ball to 25 times a game. I don't know, it's a very muddled situation. Rudi Johnson was as steady as steady goes prior to this season in rushing the ball. He was never a great receiver but he made up for it by rushing yards and double digit td's.I think Watson was impressive last year. I think spending a later pick on him is worthwhile, especially in a PPR league.

It really doesnt matter how good Perry is. If the dude cant get out of the training room its irrelevant how much potential he has. I wouldnt be shocked to see him get cut.

I worry about Irons in that he is stuck with the Bengals medical staff which has screwed up many diagnosis recently.

Watson showed he can run the ball. The line play was pretty poor (Injury plagued), so it will be interesting to see what happens when that improves.

Because he went to a Big 10 school?
Hopefully he's learned that if there's a school in the Big 10 that can produce quality NFL players, it is Michigan. They will turn out at least another 3 quality NFL players again in this draft as well.
Don't you mean collossal busts?
No sir, every school has plenty of busts especially when you have schools where many players are drafted. Michigan has some of the best players in the NFL at their positions.

Users who are viewing this thread