What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RUMOR: Atlanta "in love" with Matt Ryan... (1 Viewer)

faux_bear

Footballguy
According to Miami Dolphins beat writer Armando Salguero's blog, the Falcons are apparently sold on Matt Ryan as a franchise QB and may even be willing to trade up with the Dolphins to secure his rights.

You can read about it here:

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2008/0...hins-draft.html

I don't like that Salguero doesn't mention who his sources are or where he heard these rumors, but if this is accurate, I think it would be an ideal situation for the Dolphins, as it would enable them to trade out of the top spot but still remain in the top 5 (or top 3 depending on Friday's coin flip). Even if all they're offered is a second round pick and a swap of firsts, it should be a no-brainer for Parcells.

People keep talking about McFadden with their pick but they need a QB desperately - with the appearance that DMac's star isn't as hot as it once was, makes me think even more that ATL will go QB.

They may not even need to move up.

Interesting that it's a Dolphins beat writer with this info. Maybe perhaps Parcells/another Dolphins front-office guy leaking info to try to get a few teams lined up to trade up to #1? Maybe an attempt to smoke out a team interested in Ryan?

Interesting that it's a Dolphins beat writer with this info. Maybe perhaps Parcells/another Dolphins front-office guy leaking info to try to get a few teams lined up to trade up to #1? Maybe an attempt to smoke out a team interested in Ryan?
Yup, looks like Parcells met with the Media...That's pretty ridiculous though.

:goodposting: I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.

Please let Ryan have an excellent combine.

And please let Atlanta be foolish enough to give up multiple picks for the #1 overall. Miami could wind up with the #3 pick and still get Chris Long.

:shrug: I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.
yeah but you know how it is this time of year...players who you (joe blow watching from your couch) wouldn't expect to be drafted high during the season skyrocket up the draft board based on workouts, combine numbers, and teams simply falling in love with them. I don't think there's any reason to think that Miami WOULDNT draft Ryan at number 1. I don't think the Dolphins are sufficiently sold on Beck to deter them from taking the top rated QB in the draft.

:mellow: I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.
Agreed. I like Ryan enough to take him #3, but not a chance above Dorsey and Long. Atlanta would be foolish to move up even if they truly believe Parcells will take Ryan. Sit tight and get an elite DT or DE prospect. Chris Long could be the best DE to enter the league since.... Mario Williams.

Teams will always take the QB, even if it's clear the safe pick is at another position. 9/10 times the team picking in the top 5 are there is because the QB stinks (and have other problems to boot).

Having seen Ryan play many times I will say 2 things.

1. He forced the ball in to bad spots and he made to many bad choices.

2. His receivers at BC were so bad, he was forced to put the ball in bad spots and he had to make many bad choices.

I think this is a rare instance where the Combine may help clear up a story for a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.
Really? I'm curious as to what games you watched. The only bad game he had was vs. NC State. You could maybe say the first VTech game too, but that was in a monsoon and he did lead his team down the field twice late in the game and made one of the 5 best plays of the entire season in that game. Other than that, in pretty much every game he showed off his big time arm and looked comfortable in the pocket. I'm also curious that if you didn't think you were watching the #1 QB prospect, who did you watch that you think was the #1 QB prospect?

:thumbup: I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.
Really? I'm curious as to what games you watched. The only bad game he had was vs. NC State. You could maybe say the first VTech game too, but that was in a monsoon and he did lead his team down the field twice late in the game and made one of the 5 best plays of the entire season in that game. Other than that, in pretty much every game he showed off his big time arm and looked comfortable in the pocket. I'm also curious that if you didn't think you were watching the #1 QB prospect, who did you watch that you think was the #1 QB prospect?
I'd have to agree with bugs. It's not that he isn't the #1 QB, it's that he shouldn't be the #1 overall pick IMO.

Please let Ryan have an excellent combine.And please let Atlanta be foolish enough to give up multiple picks for the #1 overall. Miami could wind up with the #3 pick and still get Chris Long.
I dont think Chris Long will get past the Rams at 2....

:) I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.
I'd have to agree with bugs. It's not that he isn't the #1 QB, it's that he shouldn't be the #1 overall pick IMO.
I can see an argument for that, but I was talking about what he said in terms of Ryan not being the #1 QB prospect. I'm not saying he should be the #1 pick. Especially when a guy like Chris Long is out there. I'm a BC homer, but if I am Miami, I take Long.

:towelwave: I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.
I'm with you on this one - I watched about 3/4 of the BC games, and came away nonplussed by Ryan, esp. as a top-notch prospect. It is inevitable he will go in the top-5 b/c "the #1 ranked QB" always has a damn good chance of being selected there and 3 of the top 5 teams need a QB and the 4th (St Louis) would be well served looking to their future at the position.Now, all that said, Mel Kiper currently has Ryan as the #3 overall prospect (unless I misread the ticker last night during the Pitt/ND BBL game). Unless he hurts himself with his performance at the combine, Ryan wil be selected no later than the Falcons at #3.Parcells may have leaked this "rumor" to try and get KC to leapfrog Atlanta from the 5 to the 1 spot.

Please let Ryan have an excellent combine.And please let Atlanta be foolish enough to give up multiple picks for the #1 overall. Miami could wind up with the #3 pick and still get Chris Long.
I dont think Chris Long will get past the Rams at 2....
Miami takes either Chris or Jake Long, St Lou takes the other Long remaining (IMNSHO).Falcons will have a choice of McFadden or Ryan if no trades happen.Oakland then gets Dorsey or McfaddenKC gets whichever is left over or they trade down.I think KC is in the bird seat right now - they can either trade up for a guy they love, stick with thier pick and get a really good player, or trade down (whichever is left among McFadden or Ryan or Dorsey or Chris Long or Jake Long at the 5 spot is a decent step up from the #6 ranked player, IMO).

I'm with you on this one - I watched about 3/4 of the BC games, and came away nonplussed by Ryan, esp. as a top-notch prospect. It is inevitable he will go in the top-5 b/c "the #1 ranked QB" alweays has a damn good chance of being selected there and 3 of the top 5 teams need a QB and the 4th (St Louis) would be well served looking to their future at the position.Now, all that said, Mel Kiper currently has Ryan as the #3 overall prospect (unless I misread the ticker last night during the Pitt/ND BBL game). Unless he hurts himself with his performance at the combine, Ryan wil be selected no later than the Falcons at #3.

Now, Parcells may have leaked this "rumor" to try and get KC to leapfrog Atlanta from the 5 to the 1 spot.
The #1 QB prospect is always going to go high, I agree with you on that. I didn't agree with bugs assertion that Ryan didn't look like the #1 QB prospect. If he didn't who did? The thing about Ryan that is often overlooked is his poise. He has been very comfortable in the pocket, even in his junior year. Not to throw the BC WR's under the bus, but they don't have a lot of Sunday's of playing football in their future. Ryan certainly isn't the best prospect to come along, but his poise and overall pocket feel is as good as any QB coming out in recent years imo. I know QB's and their futures are difficult to predict, but I would be surprised if Ryan was not at least a solid NFL starter.

I expect Brohm to move up the charts and to move into the first round, but no other QBs seem ready to challenge Ryan as "the #1 QB"

FWIW, stbugs said - QUOTE #1 overall QB prospect END QUOTE. I am pretty sure he meant he did not see a QB prospect worth the #1 overall pick.

Atlanta is in the enviable position by having a slew of drafts picks in nice slots where they have numerous options of building their team in a myriad of ways by having good players in positions of need "fall to them". They limit their options by "falling in love" with one player and surrendering picks. This is not a team in need of that "one" special player. The new GM and coach, from early indications, would appear to be "builders" from the inside out. In addition, if they were to trade up for Ryan (who by the way is very likely going to be there at #3 if the do want him), the organization will place itself under intense scrutiny from the press as well as their fan-base, because it brings into focus the last time they traded up for a QB- Mike Vick- and a history they would very much like to forget. Some team may be willing to trade up with Miami...I would say the odds of Atlanta doing so are almost zero.

siffoin - that's why I stated that I believe Parcells leaked that statement to encourage the #5 team (which is now KC) to try and leapfrog the #3 team to take Ryan.

I could also see a draft and trade with the phins taking Ryan. If Parcells has a K in place with Ryan as the #1 overall pick, he could trade down if player X or Player Y are available at the #5 spot. An enticement for the team trading up for Ryan is that they won't have to engage in any contract negotiations.

siffoin - that's why I stated that I believe Parcells leaked that statement to encourage the #5 team (which is now KC) to try and leapfrog the #3 team to take Ryan.I could also see a draft and trade with the phins taking Ryan. If Parcells has a K in place with Ryan as the #1 overall pick, he could trade down if player X or Player Y are available at the #5 spot. An enticement for the team trading up for Ryan is that they won't have to engage in any contract negotiations.
Sure - KC is a logical trade partner. I was just responding to the thread title. In the end I doubt anyone trades up for the #1 pick...just because it is rare to do so. As a (cough cough) Falcon fan I will be extremely disappointed if they go this route...especially considering their draft slots/picks.

:rolleyes: I can't imagine Ryan wouldn't be available at ATL's slot. Maybe I am wrong, but in the couple BC games I watched, I didn't think I was watching a #1 overall QB prospect.
I'm with you on this one - I watched about 3/4 of the BC games, and came away nonplussed by Ryan, esp. as a top-notch prospect. It is inevitable he will go in the top-5 b/c "the #1 ranked QB" alweays has a damn good chance of being selected there and 3 of the top 5 teams need a QB and the 4th (St Louis) would be well served looking to their future at the position.Now, all that said, Mel Kiper currently has Ryan as the #3 overall prospect (unless I misread the ticker last night during the Pitt/ND BBL game). Unless he hurts himself with his performance at the combine, Ryan wil be selected no later than the Falcons at #3.

Now, Parcells may have leaked this "rumor" to try and get KC to leapfrog Atlanta from the 5 to the 1 spot.
The #1 QB prospect is always going to go high, I agree with you on that. I didn't agree with bugs assertion that Ryan didn't look like the #1 QB prospect. If he didn't who did? The thing about Ryan that is often overlooked is his poise. He has been very comfortable in the pocket, even in his junior year. Not to throw the BC WR's under the bus, but they don't have a lot of Sunday's of playing football in their future. Ryan certainly isn't the best prospect to come along, but his poise and overall pocket feel is as good as any QB coming out in recent years imo. I know QB's and their futures are difficult to predict, but I would be surprised if Ryan was not at least a solid NFL starter.
PFT doesn't even have Ryan going in the first round of their current mock and apparently they heard plenty about it from the level of complaining e-mails.http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 8:23 a.m. EST, February 21, 2008

RYAN INTENTIONALLY OFF OF OUR FIRST MOCK DRAFT

In the hopes of not receiving another 150 e-mails reminding us that Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan isn't in the first round of our first mock draft of the season, we're announcing in this space that we know.

We left Ryan out intentionally. Here's why.

There's talk among scouts that neither Ryan nor Brian Brohm of Louisville are top prospects. And there are a few serviceable quarterbacks with NFL game experience who will be available in free agency. So we currently think that both of them could slide like Aaron Rodgers or Brady Quinn.

For one of them, the free-fall will end at No. 20, when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers use their pick. But Brohm is, in our assessment, a better fit for the West Coast offense than Ryan. So Ryan's drop will continue.

And since none of the remaining teams in round one need a new starting quarterback, Ryan will slip right out of the first 31 picks.

With that said, we think that someone would trade back into the bottom of the first round to get Ryan, just like the Browns did last year with Brady Quinn. And with the going rate for such a move being the team's spot in round two and a first-rounder the following year, it's a deal that we think will likely get done.

Finally, we realize the folly of mock drafts, especially before teams address needs via free agency signings, or develop new needs via free agency departures. But PFT Planet wanted a mock draft, so we put one together with the assistance of our network of insiders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They make a point on the cost of the Falcons pick in terms of salary cap.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 8:30 a.m. EST, February 22, 2008

FALCONS SECURE NO. 3 PICK

... The third pick is, in some respects, less advantageous than the fourth pick. Based on the contract slotting process, the financial drop between the third and fourth spot arguably is larger than the talent difference between the two players who'll be selected in those two positions.
And QBs are paid higher than other positions. Their is a rumor that the Falcons might be interested in trading for Brady Quinn for the third pick so they could get a QB who is ready to play now who is already under contract at a far less expensive price tag and who is better IMHO and prolly in the minds of many others than Matt Ryan.

And for anyone who feels that the third pick would be too high for Quinn, if the Falcons truly are nutz for Ryan this is what the price tag is to move up to get Ryan.

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2008/0...hins-draft.html

... On what it will take the Falcons to move into the No. 1 spot: “Atlanta is going to have to give up pretty much everything they’ve got to get Matt Ryan. He means as much to Miami as he does to Atlanta.”
Not only would it cost more in terms of draft picks but the salary cap blow would be $35 million just in guaranteed salary not to mention any potential holdout and/or ramp up time with a rookie who hasn't even gone thru an NFL training camp or preseason let alone a guy like Quinn who tutored under Charlie Wies for years and then under an offensive coordinator who was instumental in helping to develop Derek Anderson and turn around an offense which ranked 32nd and 31st in scoring the two years prior to his arrival. Quinn is ready to start now and his upside is untapped and he'd come at a far cheaper price tag.

Brian Brohm is the best qb in this draft.
:thumbdown: Will have to see about that. WOW
It's weird he really seems to be judged on Louisville's poor year this year. I saw him play several times in 2006, and several times in 2007. The guy is going to be very good.
I think it's funny when someone thinks that is SO farfetched that he would turn out to be the best QB in this draft. Guy was set to be a top 3 pick if he came out last year.

Reminds me of the Ryan Leaf trade that SD made to move up one spot via AZ. That trade ruined them for almost a decade, and the didn't need to do it because AZ wasn't going to take a QB anyway. THey had just paid Plummer what was then an AZ record signing bonus. So if ATL wants to throw away some picks I hope they enjoy the view from the bottom of the NFCS.

Teams will always take the QB, even if it's clear the safe pick is at another position. 9/10 times the team picking in the top 5 are there is because the QB stinks (and have other problems to boot).Having seen Ryan play many times I will say 2 things.1. He forced the ball in to bad spots and he made to many bad choices.2. His receivers at BC were so bad, he was forced to put the ball in bad spots and he had to make many bad choices.I think this is a rare instance where the Combine may help clear up a story for a QB.
Can anyone name the WR's at BC off the top of their heads?I agree..waiting to see/hear more on Ryan.

Users who are viewing this thread