What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Positive and Negative on the Big 3 Rooks (1 Viewer)

Maroney=Speed

Footballguy
Body type:

Rashard Mendenhall- Positive, NFL RB body. 5'10" 225

Jonathan Stewart- Negative, too bulky, too heavy. 5'10" 235

Darren McFadden-Negative,Legs too skinny. Needs to put/build muscle on legs. 6'01" 211

So Mendenhall, McFadden then Stewart when scoring Body type.

Blocking:

Rashard Mendenhall- Needs work in this area.

Jonathan Stewart- To be a top Full back, yep Full Back He will need to get better as well. When leading thru the hole for RB's.

Darren McFadden- Very good to great blocker.

So McFadden,Stewart and Mendenhall. Stewart has Full back written all over Him.

Ball Security:

Rashard Mendenhall- Needs improvement.

Jonathan Stewart-Good

Darren McFadden-Poor, not sure what He was doing at the Combine in the drills? Switching the ball all the time from arm to arm?

Stewart,Mendenhall, McFadden(His biggest Negative)

Speed:

Rashard Mendenhall-Very good 4.45.

Jonathan Stewart-Very good for a big back 4.48.

Darren McFadden-4.33, Deion Sanders ran it once posted a 4.19 then left. If McFadden left it would be 4.27.

Second 40 times are mostly slower.

McFadden, Mendenhall, Stewart.

High School:

Rashard Mendenhall-five-star prospect from that recruiting service, which rated him the 24th-best prep player in the country...Named to Rivals.com's Top-100 team and rated 17th among national recruits by the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Averaged 9.1 yards per carry as a senior, rushing for 1,453 yards on 160 tries and 14 touchdowns...As a junior, he gained 1,832 yards and 19 touchdowns, averaging 11.6 yards per carry and recorded 1,300 yards and 21 scores as a sophomore...Also had over 1,000 career yards receiving and 13 touchdown catches.

Jonathan Stewart-Rated the nation's top running back by Parade, earning All-American honors from that publication...Member of the Student Sports Hot 100 list as well as Prep Star's Top 100 Dream Team...One of five finalists for the Walter Payton Trophy (nation's top prep player)...

Rushed for 2,301 yards and 32 scores his final year, averaging 11.3 yards per carry, in addition to returning one of three punts 91 yards into the end zone...That year, he had single-game bests of 422 yards rushing vs. Centralia High, including nine touchdowns...As a junior, he rushed for 2,609 yards and 36 touchdowns to garner first-team All-State accolades by the Seattle Times and Tacoma News Tribune, as well as state Class 3A Player-of-the-Year praise by the former news organization...During his sophomore year, Stewart gained 1,575 yards on the ground in 2002 before breaking his left ankle..

Darren McFadden- Became the only player from the state of Arkansas to be named to the Parade All-American team in 2004...Two-time All-State, All-Area and All-South choice...Was named the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's Offensive Player of the Year as a senior and was selected to that newspaper's All-Arkansas squad...Ranked as the No. 23 prospect in the nation and the top prospect in Arkansas by Rivals.com (Rivals also rated him as a five-star prospect and the third-best athlete in the country).

1,965 yards and 27 touchdowns on 184 carries as a senior...Averaged 10.7 yards per carry and scored three or more rushing touchdowns in six games during his final campaign...Also made three receptions for 67 yards and one score, completed 6-of-15 passes for 75 yards and two touchdowns as a quarterback and returned nine punts for 370 yards and three touchdowns...As a junior, he rushed for a school-record 2,027 yards and 19 touchdowns on 204 carries...Averaged 9.9 yards per attempt, leading his squad to an 8-4 record and second-place finish in the Class 5-AAA Conference...Hauled in nine passes for 252 yards and two touchdowns as a junior and also earned 103 yards on 12 punt returns...In his sophomore campaign, he rushed for 859 yards and 13 touchdowns on 109 carries...Hauled in 12 receptions for 333 yards and five scores, returned 10 punts for 82 yards and 14 kickoffs for 372 yards...Totaled 4,871 yards rushing on 497 attempts in his prep career and averaged 9.8 yards per carry.

College:

Rashard Mendenhall-

RASHARD MENDENHALL STATS Receiving Rushing

Statistics No Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD

2007 34 318 9.4 2 262 1,681 6.4 17

2006 12 164 13.7 1 78 640 8.2 5

2005 13 82 6.3 2 48 218 4.5 0

Career 59 564 9.6 5 388 2,539 6.5 22

JONATHAN STEWART STATS Receiving Rushing

2007 22 145 6.6 2 280 1,722 6.2 11

2006 20 144 7.2 1 183 981 5.4 10

2005 7 45 6.4 1 53 188 3.5 6

Career 49 334 6.8 4 516 2,891 5.6 27

DARREN MCFADDEN STATS Receiving Rushing

2007 21 164 7.8 1 325 1,830 5.6 16

2006 11 149 13.5 1 284 1,647 5.8 14

2005 14 52 3.7 0 176 1,113 6.3 11

Career 46 365 7.9 2 785 4,590 5.8 41

Doing it on the field vs. Good Teams.

McFadden,Stewart , Mendenhall.

One of my best friends says ' Stats and game film don't lie, and you can't hide'.

To me it's very clear:

1.Darren McFadden

2.Rashard Mendenhall

3.Jonathan Stewart

NFL Draft will be fun this year. Can't wait.

If Mendenhall or and Stewart gets drafted by Seattle,Chicago,Arizona,Cleveland,

Atlanta,Jets,Denver,Houston,Carolina or Dallas. They may be in a very good spot to do well.

10 teams that could use a RB. It will be very Interesting were the 3 RB's above go.

Of course and when(what round and did a team trade up to draft them) ?

Enjoy. ;) :excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice effort, but some of the OP is factually incorrect. Mendenhall has had ball security problems. Stewart's size is anything but a negative. Also to suggest that Stewart will be a fullback is... interesting.

Nice effort, but some of the OP is factually incorrect. Mendenhall has had ball security problems. Stewart's size is anything but a negative. Also to suggest that Stewart will be a fullback is... interesting.
Correct. Mendenhall should be needs improvement.But by far it's McFadden's weakness.

I dont see Stewart being a FB. He will get drafted to play RB, and probably be very good at it imo

Darren McFadden-4.33, Deion Sanders ran it once posted a 4.19 then left. If McFadden left it would be 4.27.
Why, would he have ran off with his "official results"? :shrug: Also, no way Stewart is a Fullback.
First time 4.27, second time 4.33. They take the higher time.If He pulls a Deion and left it's 4.27. That was His first timed 40.

Easy, no?

Anyways, it's still fast. Its the rest of HIS work that makes McFadden the clear pick at 1.01.

Thanks for helping me point that out. :thumbup:

Why, would he have ran off with his "official results"? :mellow: Also, no way Stewart is a Fullback.
First time 4.27, second time 4.33. They take the higher time.If He pulls a Deion and left it's 4.27. That was His first timed 40.

Easy, no?
Apparently not for you. The first time we hear(4.27) is his unofficial result. The offical results dont come in right away. His first time was 4.33.

Why, would he have ran off with his "official results"? :lmao: Also, no way Stewart is a Fullback.

Easy, no?
Apparently not for you. The first time we hear(4.27) is his unofficial result. The offical results dont come in right away. His first time was 4.33.
Ok, your right.But again it's fast, NO?

It's the body of work. Not how fast someone is or how there overall Combine workout went.

McFadden put up way better numbers in College.

Going into College all three were equal.

After College and turing Pro, It's not close.

Why, would he have ran off with his "official results"? :blackdot: Also, no way Stewart is a Fullback.

Easy, no?

It's the body of work. Not how fast someone is or how there overall Combine workout went.

Oh, its fast, Mcfadden is definetly my #1 RB at this point.

Wow, nothing about Vision, Balance, agility, hands, games smarts, work ethic?
Go ahead,I'm not stopping you.Vision-McFadden,Stewart Mendenhall Balance-Mendenhall,Stewart,McFaddenAgility- McFadden,Mendenhall, StewartHands-McFadden,Mendenhall, StewartThanks for pointing out even more of a advantage for McFadden over Mendenhall and Stewart.It should be clear has day.I'll let you do games smarts, work ethic?

It is obvious that you are very high on D-mac and very low on Stewart. D-mac will be a highlight real, much like Bush. Whereas Stewart will give you consistant, yet nonflashy stats, much like a R Johnson or J Lewis.

Why, would he have ran off with his "official results"? :blackdot: Also, no way Stewart is a Fullback.

Easy, no?

Oh, its fast, Mcfadden is definetly my #1 RB at this point.
What team drafts them shouldn't matter either.Talent always wins out.

It is obvious that you are very high on D-mac and very low on Stewart. D-mac will be a highlight real, much like Bush. Whereas Stewart will give you consistant, yet nonflashy stats, much like a R Johnson or J Lewis.
Fair. I got killed in another post that I started.I think more are starting to see what I saw.Someone PM'd me saying 'You can't know more than everyone else on FBG's,CAN YOU'?Thanks again for slowing seeing what I have been trying to point out.

Go ahead,I'm not stopping you.Vision-McFadden,Stewart Mendenhall Balance-Mendenhall,Stewart,McFaddenAgility- McFadden,Mendenhall, StewartHands-McFadden,Mendenhall, StewartThanks for pointing out even more of a advantage for McFadden over Mendenhall and Stewart.It should be clear has day.I'll let you do games smarts, work ethic?
I'm not trying to be a #### or anything, but ranking Rbs on 4 things (Blocking, Speed, Body, and ball security) is only the tip of the iceburg. My guess is that there are about 20 or 30 factors teams look at when picking a RB.I didn't follow Stewart or McFadden in College so I am not the one to comment on these areas. Nice post, but you needed to break it down a lot more to get my vote.

I'm not trying to be a #### or anything, but ranking Rbs on 4 things (Blocking, Speed, Body, and ball security) is only the tip of the iceburg. My guess is that there are about 20 or 30 factors teams look at when picking a RB.I didn't follow Stewart or McFadden in College so I am not the one to comment on these areas. Nice post, but you needed to break it down a lot more to get my vote.
So you what me to write a book on the three rooks.To prove to you why I have McFadden ranked high and Stewart so low.My break down wasn't enough? No one breaks down players on here like that.It's way too much work, for little in return. Except, I told you so_On top of that you get guys, who will listen to others that have Stewart high and beleive them because of what?Guys come here for info. but don't want to give any because there scare to be wrong.My teacher once said 'Your never wrong, but don't worry everyone will point out when you're wrong'. By the way I'm still waiting. :shrug:

Body type:Rashard Mendenhall- Positive, NFL RB body. 5'10" 225 Jonathan Stewart- Negative, too bulky, too heavy. 5'10" 235 Darren McFadden-Negative,Legs too skinny. Needs to put/build muscle on legs. 6'01" 211 So Mendenhall, McFadden then Stewart when scoring Body type.So McFadden,Stewart and Mendenhall. Stewart has Full back written all over Him.
WHOA THERE COWBOY! Stewart a fullback???I started laughing early when I read your breakdwn of body types. 5'10"/225 is good...but 5'10"/235 is bad? No neutral? Dude, I step on the scale one day at 240, go play some ball, take a nice dump, and then weigh 230. MOST PEOPLE fluctuate 3-6 pounds in the same day, and bigger people (like me and these guys) can easily fluctuate 8-10 , so your analyses makes no sense here.

Body type:Rashard Mendenhall- Positive, NFL RB body. 5'10" 225 Jonathan Stewart- Negative, too bulky, too heavy. 5'10" 235 Darren McFadden-Negative,Legs too skinny. Needs to put/build muscle on legs. 6'01" 211 So Mendenhall, McFadden then Stewart when scoring Body type.So McFadden,Stewart and Mendenhall. Stewart has Full back written all over Him.
WHOA THERE COWBOY! Stewart a fullback???I started laughing early when I read your breakdwn of body types. 5'10"/225 is good...but 5'10"/235 is bad? No neutral? Dude, I step on the scale one day at 240, go play some ball, take a nice dump, and then weigh 230. MOST PEOPLE fluctuate 3-6 pounds in the same day, and bigger people (like me and these guys) can easily fluctuate 8-10 , so your analyses makes no sense here.
Will see Cowboy.Like I said, I'm laying it on the line.Lets see your top 6 RB's, don't care why. Just rank them 1-6.Easy. I'll put it in my sig, so we all will remember.Thanks

Will see Cowboy.Like I said, I'm laying it on the line.Lets see your top 6 RB's, don't care why. Just rank them 1-6.Easy. I'll put it in my sig, so we all will remember.Thanks
Like many, I'm still tossing them around, and don't have a lay-it-on-the-line opinion formed yet (although I'm leaning towards BOTH Mendenhall and Stewart ahead of McFadden). What I'm questioning is what part of your anatomy you pulled the opinion of body size/type from, since ten pounds swings your opinion so drasticaly.WAIT.....are you 3 feet tall yourself? Ten pounds is a lot when you're 3 ft!(Not trying to be rude, just more clear....you apparently missed the point the first time.)

Body type:

Darren McFadden-Negative,Legs too skinny. Needs to put/build muscle on legs. 6'01" 211

So McFadden,Stewart and Mendenhall. Stewart has Full back written all over Him.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like many, I'm still tossing them around, and don't have a lay-it-on-the-line opinion formed yet (although I'm leaning towards BOTH Mendenhall and Stewart ahead of McFadden). What I'm questioning is what part of your anatomy you pulled the opinion of body size/type from, since ten pounds swings your opinion so drasticaly.WAIT.....are you 3 feet tall yourself? Ten pounds is a lot when you're 3 ft!(Not trying to be rude, just more clear....you apparently missed the point the first time.)
Be as rude as you want.I posted my take.You have none, whatever.When you do have one post it.Thanks.

I'm still waiting on why ten pounds makes that big a difference.

Also waiting on why you think Stewart is destined to be a fullback in the NFL.

Body type:

Blocking:

Jonathan Stewart- To be a top Full back, yep Full Back He will need to get better as well. When leading thru the hole for RB's.
I stopped reading here.

Body type:

Blocking:

I stopped reading here.
I thought you had me on ignore? <_<

I'm still waiting on why ten pounds makes that big a difference. Also waiting on why you think Stewart is destined to be a fullback in the NFL.
Stalemate. I'm still waiting on your top 6 rooks, in order 1-6.
Considering he posed the question to you first, why do you think you're entitled to have YOUR question responded to first without addressing his? Do you just need a little more time to come up with something even remotely believable?

I'm still waiting on why ten pounds makes that big a difference. Also waiting on why you think Stewart is destined to be a fullback in the NFL.
Stalemate. I'm still waiting on your top 6 rooks, in order 1-6.
Considering he posed the question to you first, why do you think you're entitled to have YOUR question responded to first without addressing his? Do you just need a little more time to come up with something even remotely believable?
I already posted why.Thanks for helping out someone in need. <_< Do you have anything to add? Or just want to knock what I came up with?Either is fine by me.

Your Avatar is enough to question your sense on ranking RB's...but here's my CURRENT (subject to change) rankings:

1a. Stewart

1b. Mendenhall

3. McFadden

4a. Jones

4b. Rice

One of the biggest reasons I come here is to hear well formed opinions and reasoning/analyses. I have never had the opportunity to watch a lot of college ball because of my job, and therefore am not in a position to form hard fast opinions of rookies.

Folks who can form good opinions have my respect, but I do need to read/understand the reasoning behind those opinions. I was NOT making fun of your overall rankings, but I was posting a very serious question as to HOW YOU DEVELOPED those rankings, and pointed out what I thought was a fatal, and funny, flaw in your reasoning.

You, in turn, decided to make fun of me for not having a well-formed opinion of my own. It's early in the off-season, and the FA period has barely started, let alone the draft....I don't NEED to have strong opinion yet! THAT'S WHY I AM HERE......looking for folks (not you obviously) who know the college game better then I do to give me the differing opinions (AND REASONING) to rank the rookies.

I'll be more then happy to debate, at length, the veterans however, as I do have strong opinions on most of them.

Now.....if you want to be taken seriously in the SP, please A: Find a thicker skin. and B: Learn you own limitations.

This thread went from decent to crap quick
Yep, agree. I spent alot of MY time to point things out.Guys don't agree, and instead of saying why? They ask me to explain?Guys ok I'm way wrong.But it clear to me that most just want to kill a great topic/Post.Rather than learn the game and get more knowledge.Some great people have stopped posting and left this site because of things People/Things.Lets get back on track.Stewart will be better as a fullback, because He has no Mac1 2nd gear speed.His vision is not very good,He doesn't have great hands, Big yes, soft no.He will not be a elite RB on Sundays. Please give your rankings of top 6 RB's, the more rankings the better.Again Thanks, to all you who have enjoyed my break down.

Be as rude as you want.I posted my take.You have none, whatever.When you do have one post it.Thanks.
It doesn't really matter who is right in the end. Seeing whose rankings look best after all is said and done won't say much. There are several factors in a player's success in the NFL that we can't possibly yet see coming. What kind of situation will they be in? Will they suffer a fluke injury? Will they be properly coached/utlized?The problem I have with this post (...nice effort by the way...) is that you claim that 1) Stweart's body size is "bad" which people have already pointed out is inconclusive at best. And 2) By using the term, "fullback," people assume you mean that Stewart will be used primarily as a blocker... which is just foolish. He is a bit too big, but his size and build is certainly not a red flag... like McFadden. I agree with most of your assesments, but some are certainly more important than others. Vision, Explosiveness, Evasion skills (ability to make tacklers miss/power through arm tackles), and Balance have to be the most important, aside from Body size.I will give McFadden Good-Great vision, Elite explosiveness, Moderate evasion skills, Moderate balance. Clearly he's the guy that will be most likely to break off long runs, but also most likely to have trouble when the holes aren't there. In terms of blocking, he is on par with Stewart. He'll probably be the best receiving threat (due to his skills in the open field), but he is a slightly less natural pass-catcher that Stewart.Stewart I'd say has slightly "worse" vision than McFadden, Good explosiveness, Good evasion skills, Great balance. Will be a Jamal Lewis-type in the Pros and he is more likely than Lewis to stay healthy based on Lewis' slightly more upright running style and injury history entering the NFL. Blocking and Pass-catching are not weaknesses in his game by any stretch.Mendenhall has Good vision, Great explosiveness, Good evasion skills, Good-Great balance. Needs to work on his blocking and pass-catching, but it's too tough to say he won't be on par with Stewart, if not McFadden in both areas since it's more of a learned element of the game, assuming the player is willing. Should be a McGahee-like player and I wouldn't be surprised if he had more "productive" years than the other guys. Why?You left out one of the most important factors... durability! With McFadden's build, he is far more likely to be injury prone than the other two guys. I'm not going to predict he will suffer a serious injury (read: leg). But he is a hard runner who isn't the most evasive guy (see: Adrian Peterson), and his body type does him no favors. This worries me, and I know I'm not the only one.Stewart you would think will be durable based on his build. He is in ridiculous shape, and Marshall Faulk said it best: the man looks like a Superhero. Alas, he has had durability issues in his time at Oregon, which is why I had him lower on my rankings in the outset. He had a relatively healthy year in his Junior season, and I expect he will be more durable, but not nearly indestructible at the next level.Mendenhall certainly doesn't have any red flags in terms of his durability.ETA: Forgot to include my rankings: Mendenhall edges McFadden who edges Stewart, all by a hair.No this isn't a copout, this has been my opinion for some time now. Infact, I have been flip flopping. But the point is, I would love to have any of the three, and can see all of them being RB1s in fantasy leagues by '09 given an good situation

Your Avatar is enough to question your sense on ranking RB's...but here's my CURRENT (subject to change) rankings:

1a. Stewart

1b. Mendenhall

3. McFadden

4a. Jones

4b. Rice

One of the biggest reasons I come here is to hear well formed opinions and reasoning/analyses. I have never had the opportunity to watch a lot of college ball because of my job, and therefore am not in a position to form hard fast opinions of rookies.

Folks who can form good opinions have my respect, but I do need to read/understand the reasoning behind those opinions. I was NOT making fun of your overall rankings, but I was posting a very serious question as to HOW YOU DEVELOPED those rankings, and pointed out what I thought was a fatal, and funny, flaw in your reasoning.

You, in turn, decided to make fun of me for not having a well-formed opinion of my own. It's early in the off-season, and the FA period has barely started, let alone the draft....I don't NEED to have strong opinion yet! THAT'S WHY I AM HERE......looking for folks (not you obviously) who know the college game better then I do to give me the differing opinions (AND REASONING) to rank the rookies.

I'll be more then happy to debate, at length, the veterans however, as I do have strong opinions on most of them.

Now.....if you want to be taken seriously in the SP, please A: Find a thicker skin. and B: Learn you own limitations.
Thanks. Who would be 6th. Top 5 I see everyone minus myself and one another as the same.We both Stewart 7th.

True, I wish more were like you.

But when everyone rips my rankings and they ask me a question and won't answer mine.

For me it's a waste of time.

If I'm WRONG, I will hear it the whole year. I have no problem with that.

If I'm right, most will say I was lucky.

You can't win for trying. I got crap about NE losing to the Giants and was the first to say I was wrong and Congrats.

But that wasn't good enough.

Now I feel strong about McFadden and Stewart. I guess we'll see.

No hard feelings, thats for your rankings.

It doesn't really matter who is right in the end. Seeing whose rankings look best after all is said and done won't say much. There are several factors in a player's success in the NFL that we can't possibly yet see coming. What kind of situation will they be in? Will they suffer a fluke injury? Will they be properly coached/utlized?The problem I have with this post (...nice effort by the way...) is that you claim that 1) Stweart's body size is "bad" which people have already pointed out is inconclusive at best. And 2) By using the term, "fullback," people assume you mean that Stewart will be used primarily as a blocker... which is just foolish. He is a bit too big, but his size and build is certainly not a red flag... like McFadden. I agree with most of your assesments, but some are certainly more important than others. Vision, Explosiveness, Evasion skills (ability to make tacklers miss/power through arm tackles), and Balance have to be the most important, aside from Body size.I will give McFadden Good-Great vision, Elite explosiveness, Moderate evasion skills, Moderate balance. Clearly he's the guy that will be most likely to break off long runs, but also most likely to have trouble when the holes aren't there. In terms of blocking, he is on par with Stewart. He'll probably be the best receiving threat (due to his skills in the open field), but he is a slightly less natural pass-catcher that Stewart.Stewart I'd say has slightly "worse" vision than McFadden, Good explosiveness, Good evasion skills, Great balance. Will be a Jamal Lewis-type in the Pros and he is more likely than Lewis to stay healthy based on Lewis' slightly more upright running style and injury history entering the NFL. Blocking and Pass-catching are not weaknesses in his game by any stretch.Mendenhall has Good vision, Great explosiveness, Good evasion skills, Good-Great balance. Needs to work on his blocking and pass-catching, but it's too tough to say he won't be on par with Stewart, if not McFadden in both areas since it's more of a learned element of the game, assuming the player is willing. Should be a McGahee-like player and I wouldn't be surprised if he had more "productive" years than the other guys. Why?You left out one of the most important factors... durability! With McFadden's build, he is far more likely to be injury prone than the other two guys. I'm not going to predict he will suffer a serious injury (read: leg). But he is a hard runner who isn't the most evasive guy (see: Adrian Peterson), and his body type does him no favors. This worries me, and I know I'm not the only one.Stewart you would think will be durable based on his build. He is in ridiculous shape, and Marshall Faulk said it best: the man looks like a Superhero. Alas, he has had durability issues in his time at Oregon, which is why I had him lower on my rankings in the outset. He had a relatively healthy year in his Junior season, and I expect he will be more durable, but not nearly indestructible at the next level.Mendenhall certainly doesn't have any red flags in terms of his durability.ETA: Forgot to include my rankings: Mendenhall edges McFadden who edges Stewart, all by a hair.No this isn't a copout, this has been my opinion for some time now. Infact, I have been flip flopping. But the point is, I would love to have any of the three, and can see all of them being RB1s in fantasy leagues by '09 given an good situation
Wow, great post.But just like me you missed on somethings. Nobody gets it all right.Durability- McFadden no injuries to speak of with all those carries.Stewart on the other hand has had ankle problems. Is it because he's too heavy?But nice read. :thumbup:

maroney=speed,

when you take a contrarian position, you have to expect questions & that you will need to defend that poistion.

you are no doubt aware that it a controversial position that stewart will be an NFL fullback? wouldn't it have been a bigger surprise if there WEREN'T questions? you also must be aware that in taking such a contrarian position, you were virtually GUARANTEEING more responses questioning you than if you took a more consensus opinion... whether you intended it to happen is irrelevant, in taking that position around here you were DESTINED to generate some controversy... it is part of the rules of the game... :2cents:

and thats not necessarily a bad thing... we can learn from debate, maybe you can learn new things, we can learn new things, the process of debate can cause us to ask questions & think things we haven't before, which can trigger an insight in another which can lead to a higher level thought or question, which can make all the participants of the thread more well informed & even smarter through the sharpened debate... that is the good that can come from controversy & debate...

not everybody who is asking a legit question about a contrarian view is ripping your rankings... also, having a SPECIFIC question or questions about part of your post is not (or imo SHOULDN'T be) an invitation to getting grilled by you as to how much THEY know about the overall subject... if you were in a debate about the effect of unions on the US economy in the 20th century, & someone asked you about a PART of your argument that wasn't clear to them & asked for a clarification, it wouldn't make your position in the debate stronger by saying in effect... if you know so much, lets hear your position... if you are able to clarify your position (after all, it is YOUR position), please do so... if you flip the burden of proof onto others, it leaves the impression that you may be attempting to deflect attention from an inability to clarify your position yourself...

for example, i have a few questions... let me preface this by saying that i may not know (& probably don't) as much as yourself about the top RBs at this point... like aposulli said, i think, THAT is precisely why we are here... so my few questions below aren't an invitation to get grilled about what I know... just genuinely & sincerely interested in a clarification of your contrarian position in some cases, if you are able...

1 - bloom said jonathan stewart reminded him of steven jackson... without seeing stewart on the field (don't know if his agility, elusiveness, cutting ability is comparable?), i was already thinking in terms of him as a comp player because of their obvious similarities in terms of physical stature, measurables, skill set, etc... IF stewart is similar to jackson, clearly the latter had the goods to be an elite NFL RB when healthy... if you DON't see the similarity, i'd appreciate if you could breakdown why they aren't alike, if you know jackson well enough to carry out such a breakdown... if not, thats cool, but if that were the case, it would explain some disconnect in this thread where others who do understand jackson well & see the similarities with stewart would be left scratching their heads at your negative assessment of stewart...

2 - i until recently assumed mcfadden would be alpha RB in this draft... i respect NFL networks in house scout mike mayock a lot, as he breaks down film & will show you why he has an opinion... like you, he isn't afraid to be a contrarian but he is always prepared to defend his position & i'm sure expects to... his big concern with mcfadden is that he might be a specialty, luxury, situational RB like bush (i may be horrifically paraphrasing here), but won't be a bell cow feature RB... parenthetically, a lot of "starting" RBs in NFL aren't solo backs any more (RBBC is rampant), but in his estimation, mendenhall & stewart were built more for that kind of workload, the violence of the position, & better able to get the tough yards inside... mcfadden's legs go dead on contact, to quote mayock (& supported with film analysis)... his legs are skinny, like a WR or track star...

is this critique by mayock a concern to you, & if not, why not... can you cite players with similar builds that were roaring successes in NFL... & trying play devil's advocate, try & think of players with a similar build that FAILED at the next level...

* hope this isn't putting too fine a point on things, but the purpose of this board is to exchange ideas, learn from each other... when you inject yourself into your posts/threads, it is imo counterproductive... you know some things & have some interesting view points... just leave it at that... when a question from somebody leads to you interrogating them you make it personal, this can lead to actual attacks, defensive behavior, which can completely obscure the original point of the thread...

Bob Magaw

I'll take #2 first Mayock says McFadden does not have a NFL body.

This is true.

Concern? No, like I said McFadden has many carries with no injuries.

Can build on His legs. Mendenhall has one good year under Him, I question that and have more concern over that.

S.Jasckson=Stewart. Ok fine. How many games did Jackson miss this year? His first year at having most of the carries.

But in no way does Jackson remind me of Stewart.

Stewart=Dayne or Duckett or Chatman(who eat himself out of SD).

McFadden=Dickerson,M.Allen or to throw someone different out ya James Wilder.

Who would you rather have Dickerson or Dayne? Ok thats easy.

But thats how I see it between McFadden and Stewart, not close at all.

To have Stewart at 1.01 is nuts. Not knocking Bloom or any other FBG's but I don't get it.

Mendenhall is raw and unknow. But I would say He's number 2. But not as close as others think it is.

In noway number 1 like Mayock has Him.

Hope that answers your questions?

Thanks

You're being kind.
Why couldn't we all be like Bloom?Yes that was nice, but it will be very interesting around here if I'm right. :D
Brandon Jacobs - 6'4" 260lbs is not a FB
This will be His last year in the NFL, so get what you can for Him.He will be working for UPS next year.

;)

Why does the OP consistently

break up his thoughts and place them

on different lines? It makes it almost

unbearable to read.

A guy in my League told me that He heard the Cowboys are trying to trade up with the Jets.

Dallas would get pick 1.06 and the Jets 1.22,1.28 and a 2nd rounder.

Jets would look took take Ray Rice at pick 1.22 or 1.28.

Dallas of course will take McFadden.

Deal won't get done until pick is on the clock. :2cents:

This guy gets alot of inside info. about the Jets.

I guess it adds up, Jets move down pickup more picks still get a RB they like and continue to build.

My guess is they either think both Mendenhall and Stewart will be gone or they like Rice more than most?

If I get more of course I'll post it.

A guy in my League told me that He heard the Cowboys are trying to trade up with the Jets.Dallas would get pick 1.06 and the Jets 1.22,1.28 and a 2nd rounder.Jets would look took take Ray Rice at pick 1.22 or 1.28. Dallas of course will take McFadden.Deal won't get done until pick is on the clock. :2cents: This guy gets alot of inside info. about the Jets.I guess it adds up, Jets move down pickup more picks still get a RB they like and continue to build.My guess is they either think both Mendenhall and Stewart will be gone or they like Rice more than most?If I get more of course I'll post it.
The Cowboys are currently trying to lockdown MBIII long term, if this happens there's no reason to draft McFadden.

Users who are viewing this thread