What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Rodgers (1 Viewer)

frank_da_tank

Footballguy
lets get the aaron rodgers thread started. Showed some promise in the dallas game....

Young team with a big arm.

and discuss.

I've had him in my dynasty top 20 for over a month and I think today's news cements his status in the 17-20 range. He has lots of upside and is a solid option as a QB2 in both dynasty and redraft.

I think he has a lot of upside as well. sometimes sitting on the bench for that long learning can be awesome for a career...

Has upside for sure.

Can he stay healthy?

Will defenses respect his arm?

Will the line give him enough time?

Lot of questions. He could be in a worse situations...Favre could have retired 2 years ago and he could have played behind that sorry excuse for an Oline with only Driver as a WR threat.

culpepper to GB :unsure:
Before the Favre news this morning I was listening to Open Drive on Sirius and a caller came in concerned about the Panthers QB situation. If I were Culpepper, i would target Carolina and GB as my options. Going to a team without a legitimate WR threat and a chance to be solidified as their QB2 to start the season would do him no good if he has an opportunity to play.I do think that Rodgers will get the unquestioned nod, the real question is who do they bring in to compete for the backup slot. Another name I have not heard in a while is Aaron Brooks. He has a conspiracy theory that he has been black-balled and with so many QBs going down last year and he not even getting a sniff, would lead me to believe he is somewhat correct. it was under a different regime, but he did start his career in Green Bay.

Rodgers is EXTREMELY frail. Odds of him starting and finishing all 16 games: less than 5%. They will need a backup that can step in. Rosenfels is the best option. Culpepper blows. However he would keep Jennings value from plummetting.

DAMMIT FAVRE!!!

I just need 1 more year!!!!

Sitting on Rogers for all these years is going to pay off big time for the Pack, they'll make San Fran wish they had done the same with Alex Smith. I really liked what I saw out of him this past pre-season and in the Dallas game. He looked like he finally turned the corner. He is definitely in my dyno top 20, maybe even top 15.

Rodgers is EXTREMELY frail. Odds of him starting and finishing all 16 games: less than 5%. They will need a backup that can step in. Rosenfels is the best option. Culpepper blows. However he would keep Jennings value from plummetting.DAMMIT FAVRE!!!I just need 1 more year!!!!
A name change is what you need.......maybe RodgersCo

Rodgers is EXTREMELY frail. Odds of him starting and finishing all 16 games: less than 5%. They will need a backup that can step in. Rosenfels is the best option. Culpepper blows. However he would keep Jennings value from plummetting.DAMMIT FAVRE!!!I just need 1 more year!!!!
Just like people believing too much in his one half game meaning much...you cannot call him frail because of 2 injuries.He broke a bone in his foot against NE...and still finished the game.Last year he tweaked his hammy...after making it through some big hits in the Dallas game. But tweaked it in practice.Those things happen to alot of people...but anyone will look fragile compared to #4.But I don't think we know enough about Rodgers to call him "EXTREMELY frail".

I think it all boils down to health with Rogers. That would be the only factor preventing him from putting up top 10 #s with GB. The pieces are all in place for him to be a fantasy stud. He's had 3 years to learn the system. Been able to learn from a HOFer and mature without pressure. Good line, good receivers, and now a good young RB to hand the ball to. But of course, Favre never missed games. He was durable. And proven. Rogers could become the next Tony Romo or he could be Chad Pennington. The kindof guy Id love to have on a roster as a fantasy backup. But wouldnt want to lean on him as my #1 guy. His value right now will shoot thru the roof.

I think it all boils down to health with Rogers. That would be the only factor preventing him from putting up top 10 #s with GB. The pieces are all in place for him to be a fantasy stud. He's had 3 years to learn the system. Been able to learn from a HOFer and mature without pressure. Good line, good receivers, and now a good young RB to hand the ball to. But of course, Favre never missed games. He was durable. And proven. Rogers could become the next Tony Romo or he could be Chad Pennington. The kindof guy Id love to have on a roster as a fantasy backup. But wouldnt want to lean on him as my #1 guy. His value right now will shoot thru the roof.
:lmao: This is what I really wanted to hear..... I'm an owner in a dyansty league...he will be a QB#2 for me...

I drafted him in my 1st year in a Zealots league. I've been waiting for this day to come for 2 years. I certainly think he has great upside, but the truth is we don't know much about him yet. He has the talent around him to be successful, so only time will tell. Having him as my #3 behind Brees, Schaub is pretty sweet.

We'll find out.

So far, in both of the regular season games he has played in, he ended up with an injury that would have kept him out for several weeks if he was the starter.

He might have potential, but I don't have any confidence that he will be able to stay healthy. The complete opposite of Favre when it comes to durabality.

Completely agree with this. The Packers run a quick strike, short passing game reliant on YAC. Rodgers can put up some good numbers throwing 5 yards slants that the receivers take for 20 yards. The other thing is I think the team is really going to rally behind Rodgers. He is much more a part of the "team" than Favre. He golfs with the offensive line all the time, and hangs out with these guys. Favre was sort of a distant figure for alot of the guys on the team.

We'll find out. So far, in both of the regular season games he has played in, he ended up with an injury that would have kept him out for several weeks if he was the starter. He might have potential, but I don't have any confidence that he will be able to stay healthy. The complete opposite of Favre when it comes to durabality.
He did not get hurt in the Dallas game. The injury came later that weak in practice.

That's probably not the ONLY thing.... he will now have to execute the offense for an entire season, giving teams a lot more film to study and break down, so he will have to adjust from game to game.I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.... but expecting top 10 #s is quite premature. Favre finished around QB7, a little lower than that if you use ppg. He finished above Hasselbeck and Palmer.... I doubt Rodgers will do that. There are about another 4-6 QBs that finished lower that I would expect to do better than Rodgers.

I see Rodgers as a reasonable shot at top 20 QB, with about QB12 upside. I count at least 16 QBs I would take before Rodgers, without question. But it is possible for Rodgers to finish above some of them.

ETA QBs I like above Rodgers:

in no particular order: Brady, Romo, P.Manning, Brees, Anderson, Roethlisberger, Hasselbeck, Palmer, Cutler, Arizona QB, E.Manning, McNabb, Garrard, Rivers, Bulger, Schaub. And maybe Kitna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers looked good in his limited action so there appears to be upside. With the announcement I would venture to guess that presently his asking price is probably much higher than what it should be at this time.

He'll have to show me a lot in pre-season to justify keeping Ryan Grant. CRAP!!!
There are quite a few RB's that have crappy QB's and still have had success. I'd be more worried about the GB WR's than I would be with Grant.
If he can't consistently get the ball to the WRs then Grant will be the focus of the DEF. I'm not worried about Driver, Jennings or Jones.

He'll have to show me a lot in pre-season to justify keeping Ryan Grant. CRAP!!!
There are quite a few RB's that have crappy QB's and still have had success. I'd be more worried about the GB WR's than I would be with Grant.
If he can't consistently get the ball to the WRs then Grant will be the focus of the DEF. I'm not worried about Driver, Jennings or Jones.
Umm.... what?I get the part about Grant being the focus of the D, but if you think Rogers can't get the ball to the WRs, then you kinda have to downgrade the WRs, don't you?

It all works together. Everything will be affected with his departure. Favre was one of the best deep ball throwers in the game and certainly wasn't afraid to use it. That in and of itself makes the defense play differently. I'm sure, especially early on, teams will creep up and challenge Rogers making it harder to run. I could go on but it's good for no one on the Pack that he's gone. They go from arguably a top 10-13 qb to who knows.....

I've had him in my dynasty top 20 for over a month and I think today's news cements his status in the 17-20 range. He has lots of upside and is a solid option as a QB2 in both dynasty and redraft.
I think 17-20 is to low. He's in a lot of ways a veteran QB and as we saw in the Dallas game, which was a very intense and pressure packed regular season game, he excelled on the road.He's the clearcut starter, which a lot of guys aren't when you start talking about the 20 range. I'd be more inclined to put him in the 12-15 range with room for improvement.

We'll find out. So far, in both of the regular season games he has played in, he ended up with an injury that would have kept him out for several weeks if he was the starter. He might have potential, but I don't have any confidence that he will be able to stay healthy. The complete opposite of Favre when it comes to durabality.
I don't have any worries/concerns one way or the other at this point, there's not enough evidence.One thing is for sure though, you can't just assume he's going to be healthy like Farve was just because he has a GB jersey on. He'll have to prove his toughness and the shoes he's got to fill are huge.

I'd put him around QB10 or so for dynasty purposes (DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN HIM IN ANY LEAGUE)

He knows the offense as good as anyone (probably knows the system better than Favre did, Rogers won't be gunslinging).

He's looked great when he's got a chance the past couple years.

The offense is stacked with talent and will be solid for the next few years.

Bottom line is he's ready to take over, there is a reason the Pack didn't beg Favre to come back. Only thing that is going to hold Rogers down could be his health, otherwise he's as safe as any QB outside of the top 8 or so.

I'm initially putting him in the QB14-16 range, or somewhere near the end of the top half of QBs, with upside for the 8-12 range.

Lack of game experience is offset by quite a bit of practice time in the Packers environment, general maturing over the three years since he was drafted, familiarity with the offensive system, and a solid group of surrounding offensive talent with which to succeed. I'm not at all concerned about the injury concerns others have.

I think 17-20 is to low. He's in a lot of ways a veteran QB and as we saw in the Dallas game, which was a very intense and pressure packed regular season game, he excelled on the road.
AJ Feeley...just sayin....
Or could be a Tony Romo (err, I hope that's good), meaning a guy who was in the system for awhile and came out and played well.You're right, there's no gaurantees and we'll get more information as the season goes along but with the offense that Green Bay currently has, it appears I may be on the bullish side of where Rodgers fits right now.I don't even like Green Bay...lol.

I'd put him around QB10 or so for dynasty purposes (DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN HIM IN ANY LEAGUE)He knows the offense as good as anyone (probably knows the system better than Favre did, Rogers won't be gunslinging).He's looked great when he's got a chance the past couple years.The offense is stacked with talent and will be solid for the next few years.Bottom line is he's ready to take over, there is a reason the Pack didn't beg Favre to come back. Only thing that is going to hold Rogers down could be his health, otherwise he's as safe as any QB outside of the top 8 or so.
He is only signed through 2009. So the Pack would have to re-sign him or extend his contract for him to remain there. If he has a good season in 2008, they should want to, but if he doesn't they could look elsewhere.

I think 17-20 is to low. He's in a lot of ways a veteran QB and as we saw in the Dallas game, which was a very intense and pressure packed regular season game, he excelled on the road.He's the clearcut starter, which a lot of guys aren't when you start talking about the 20 range. I'd be more inclined to put him in the 12-15 range with room for improvement.
Maybe you're right. He's an ideal backup since he could start for you in a pinch and he has the upside to be a top 10 guy. I am pretty optimistic about his prospects overall. The time to buy has come and gone though. You won't get him cheap now.

i traded for Aaron Rodgers little over 2days ago. As soon as that packers website snafu happenend and there was no rebuttal from Brett i knew there had to be some truth to it. Athletes react to anything even if its minor. in our keeper league only QB's available for our draft besides the incoming rookies are guys like Sage and Trent Green. Gave up a high 2nd rounder to land Rodgers, i'm pretty sure he'll be better than any rookie QB coming in for atleast a few years. Funny thing at the time the owner i got Rodgers from thought he was robbing me

When people are throwing out rankings are they talking redraft or dynasty? Some have specified others have not. At this point and time in a redraft I wouldn't put him in my top 15.

A name change is what you need.......maybe RodgersCo
Can't go with that one. I don't have Rodgers. But FavreCo is also going into retirement soon.

It all works together. Everything will be affected with his departure. Favre was one of the best deep ball throwers in the game and certainly wasn't afraid to use it. That in and of itself makes the defense play differently. I'm sure, especially early on, teams will creep up and challenge Rogers making it harder to run. I could go on but it's good for no one on the Pack that he's gone. They go from arguably a top 10-13 qb to who knows.....
Oh I agree it's going to effect the whole team. Like I said, there are a few RB's with crappy QB's (McGahee, Lynch, ADP, Gore) that have succeeded with without a great passing game. Now I"m not comparing Grant to those other RB's, just the situation. Now look at the WR's on those teams from the RB's I listed. Just sayin....

Umm.... what?I get the part about Grant being the focus of the D, but if you think Rogers can't get the ball to the WRs, then you kinda have to downgrade the WRs, don't you?
:rolleyes:

Oh I agree it's going to effect the whole team. Like I said, there are a few RB's with crappy QB's (McGahee, Lynch, ADP, Gore) that have succeeded with without a great passing game. Now I"m not comparing Grant to those other RB's, just the situation. Now look at the WR's on those teams from the RB's I listed. Just sayin....
We don't know if Rodgers is crappy. He might turn out to be quite good. I do think you have to bump down the GB receivers a little bit for the time being, but they might not miss a beat when all is said and done.

When people are throwing out rankings are they talking redraft or dynasty? Some have specified others have not. At this point and time in a redraft I wouldn't put him in my top 15.
My ranking was dynasty. In redraft for 2008, I guess I'd put him at about QB18-20 due to uncertainties concerning 1st year starter status. There could be less emphasis on the pass over the first part of the year until the coaches feel he's comfortable with everything going on around him.

Maybe you're right. He's an ideal backup since he could start for you in a pinch and he has the upside to be a top 10 guy. I am pretty optimistic about his prospects overall. The time to buy has come and gone though. You won't get him cheap now.
I know you're a big dynasty guy, so in terms of that, you're most certainly correct. Either you have him today or you're going to pay a premium price to have him.I also agree with you that you may slightly bump the Green Bay receivers down a bit just because of the complete unknown, even though there's a high probability that their numbers may not be affected much at all by this change.

Note to Rodgers dynasty owners -- learn who the Packers fans in your league are. Trade value will be much higher than consensus ranking. ;)

Driver's value could go either way.

Young QB...veteran WR who gets open pretty well and runs after the catch.

Though...Driver and Favre seemed to just always be clicking on the same page and Favre knew where Driver would be. Will Rodgers have that same relationship with Driver. Or will he rely more on Jennings, Jones, Lee?

I was offered an '09 3rd for him. :goodposting:
I was offered Rudi Johnson today. The same Rudi that might still get cut. I think folks are trying to strike low ball deals before Rodgers' consensus value gets established.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driver's value could go either way.Young QB...veteran WR who gets open pretty well and runs after the catch.Though...Driver and Favre seemed to just always be clicking on the same page and Favre knew where Driver would be. Will Rodgers have that same relationship with Driver. Or will he rely more on Jennings, Jones, Lee?
Who Rodgers went to in the Dallas game.Driver: thrown to 7 times, 7 catchesJennings: thrown to 6 times, 5 catches (including a td)Lee: thrown to 4 times, 3 catchesJones: thrown to 2 times, 1 catchRobinson: thrown to 1 time, 1 catchMartin: thrown to 1 time, 0 catchesRB's: thrown to 3 times, 2 catchesOnly 2 throws were relatively deep to Lee and Jennings, both were incomplete.Was pretty accurate even though passes were short. Decent timing.

Users who are viewing this thread