What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden are pretty similar in height and w (1 Viewer)

HHZ2000

Footballguy
So does Adrian just have different body proportions, i.e. a lot more of his weight is in his legs? Or has he actually been described as pretty skinny himself but he just runs with such obvious power that people don't really take note/care?

So does Adrian just have different body proportions, i.e. a lot more of his weight is in his legs? Or has he actually been described as pretty skinny himself but he just runs with such obvious power that people don't really take note/care?
I think its because ADP has more of a muscle mass

People just don't like the way McFadden runs and his legs do look skinny. The bottom line is that a 211 lb. guy does not run a 4.33 40 without a lot of leg strength. He is only 21 (2.5 years younger than AP) and will work on his lower body.

I have been saying this for months... they are very close to sizes in #s... but ADP did look bigger in college than DMac looked... but what people forget is that DMac is only 20 yr old... plenty of time for him to fill out even more than he already has.

Peterson is also skinny by NFL standards, but he's a tad bulkier than McFadden. He doesn't seem quite as top heavy and looks a little bit thicker in the legs. The big difference is that he runs a lot stronger. Watch them run and count the number of tackles broken after contact:

AP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_LrhTwWN8...feature=related

DMC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

The measuring tape doesn't always tell the whole story. These are two different animals.

Peterson is a convenient comparison for McFadden, but not an especially good one. They're not similar at all in terms of playing style. McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
People just don't like the way McFadden runs and his legs do look skinny. The bottom line is that a 211 lb. guy does not run a 4.33 40 without a lot of leg strength. He is only 21 (2.5 years younger than AP) and will work on his lower body.
Leg strength does not = speed.

Peterson is also skinny by NFL standards, but he's a tad bulkier than McFadden. He doesn't seem quite as top heavy and looks a little bit thicker in the legs. The big difference is that he runs a lot stronger. Watch them run and count the number of tackles broken after contact:

The measuring tape doesn't always tell the whole story. These are two different animals.

Peterson is a convenient comparison for McFadden, but not an especially good one. They're not similar at all in terms of playing style. McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.
:lmao:

:sarcasm:

Its very simple if you ask me..

McFadden has 0 leg drive on inside runs

A majority of his successful runs were sweeps to the outside

He doesnt make his own holes

McFadden = Bush = No interest from this guy

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
:lmao: And it's all about body composition. We all had the same argument about J.Norwood. He might have decent size/weight, but he has the body composition of a WR. And for an NFL RB, that's not good.

Im surprised this McFadden guy is even bothering applying for the NFL draft. Seems to the expurts here he wont present any NFL value.

EBF said:

Watching those videos, the "make-you-miss ability" stood out as an even bigger difference than the power difference (which, don't get me wrong, appears to be very real as well). He won't be able to outrun defenders to the corner or blow through the secondary nearly as much as he did in those clips. Peterson just makes defenders look silly.

Peterson is 1 inch shorter and has more muscle (especially the lower body). There is actually very little to compare between the two.

EBF said:
McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.
Its very simple if you ask me..McFadden has 0 leg drive on inside runsA majority of his successful runs were sweeps to the outsideHe doesnt make his own holesMcFadden = Bush = No interest from this guy
I see a LOT of posts like the above. I'm curious...no attacks here...but how many who feel this way watched a lot of McFadden's games in college? I did...at least 12 entire games, in person (once) or on TV. And I don't share the above impression at all.My impression from watching him carry the ball 30 times in a game is that McFadden does have power. The key to that IMO is his EXPLOSIVE BURST to the LOS. He gets to the line so fast that it's really difficult to keep him to under 3 yards.I've said this many times...and it's not just this game that showcases this...but the best example is the Alabama game for '07. Nutt decided he would just run McFadden up the middle the entire second half. And he was unstoppable. Almost brought Arky back from a 17 pt deficit. If he didn't wear down at the end of the game after 35 carries (which could be an issue), Arky would have won and DM would have run for 250 yards.Agreed his highlights are almost exclusively running thru gaping holes or beating defenders to the outside. But McFadden carried the ball alot, and many of his carries were runs up the middle that showed me he does have some power...certainly more than Reggie Bush.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :lmao: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217Wow looks the same to me. Its funny I was asked whats the differents betweenStewart at 235 and Mendenhall at 225. Now isn't 6 less than 10? I say yes, but I'm sure the FBG's will say NO.Yes I'm learning alot on this topic, like most on here really just like to say anything to be heard.Answer to topic: Yes All Day and McFadden are one in the same.Minus NO INJURIES as of now from McFadden. Were All Day has more than His share.Again I only have All Day ranked higher than McFadden going into the pro's.Over the last 5 years. Yep over Bush.In case most here don't know, the bigger FASTER back is now in. :mellow:

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :goodposting: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217
Newsflash, same height and weight <> same build. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but apparently a lot.McFadden takes it outside too much for my liking. He will find out there are a lot of defenses in the NFL that can defend that rather easily.Having said that, I do see McFadden having some monster games with long runs, but I also see a lot of 18/41.

EBF said:
McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.
Its very simple if you ask me..McFadden has 0 leg drive on inside runsA majority of his successful runs were sweeps to the outsideHe doesnt make his own holesMcFadden = Bush = No interest from this guy
I see a LOT of posts like the above. I'm curious...no attacks here...but how many who feel this way watched a lot of McFadden's games in college? I did...at least 12 entire games, in person (once) or on TV. And I don't share the above impression at all.My impression from watching him carry the ball 30 times in a game is that McFadden does have power. The key to that IMO is his EXPLOSIVE BURST to the LOS. He gets to the line so fast that it's really difficult to keep him to under 3 yards.I've said this many times...and it's not just this game that showcases this...but the best example is the Alabama game for '07. Nutt decided he would just run McFadden up the middle the entire second half. And he was unstoppable. Almost brought Arky back from a 17 pt deficit. If he didn't wear down at the end of the game after 35 carries (which could be an issue), Arky would have won and DM would have run for 250 yards.Agreed his highlights are almost exclusively running thru gaping holes or beating defenders to the outside. But McFadden carried the ball alot, and many of his carries were runs up the middle that showed me he does have some power...certainly more than Reggie Bush.
I watched quite a few of his games over the past two years. I am not saying the guy is not going to be a decent pro, however I did not see the leg drive on inside plays that is required in the NF. He is very much like Reggie Bush in that he tries to turn the corner more times then not and as Reggie is learning, that doesn't fly in the NFL. I think "fans" of college players sometimes forget that these guys are playing against 2-300 guys over their career that wont be able to sniff the NFL. What you see in college is not always what you see in the Pros and the biggest difference in the pro game is player speed. This is why IMO guys like McFadden and Bush will struggle in the NFL until they learn the pro game.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :sadbanana: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217
Newsflash, same height and weight <> same build. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but apparently a lot.McFadden takes it outside too much for my liking. He will find out there are a lot of defenses in the NFL that can defend that rather easily.Having said that, I do see McFadden having some monster games with long runs, but I also see a lot of 18/41.
'McFadden takes it outside too much for my liking'Yes you have a say, but I do as well.So Newsflash or repeat yourself as much as you want, but some don't agree with you.If we all did, that wouldn't be any fun, Now would it? :sadbanana:

Can someone show me some footage of McFadden bowling guys over, breaking tough tackles and dragging guys with him before going down? Until I see that evidence to counter what I have seen to the contrary, the ceiling on McFadden will be limited unless he is in a spread/wide open offense with an O line making BIG holes (because once in space, the guy has wheels, but there is more to football than what Michael Bennett can bring)

Can someone show me some footage of McFadden bowling guys over, breaking tough tackles and dragging guys with him before going down? Until I see that evidence to counter what I have seen to the contrary, the ceiling on McFadden will be limited unless he is in a spread/wide open offense with an O line making BIG holes (because once in space, the guy has wheels, but there is more to football than what Michael Bennett can bring)
There is none.His pad level is too high, He goes down on first contact.If there's no hole, His vision is poor and can't see holes opening up 1 or 2 gaps away.So McFadden will not make it at the next level.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :goodposting: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217
Brian Westbrook isn't a great inside runner yet he seems to do ok.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :rolleyes: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217
Um, yes he is.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :thumbup: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217
Um, yes he is.
Westbrook:Has visionhas "double cut" ability which helps get away in traffichas a lot of leg strength and can be tough to bring down, especially with an arm tackleHavent seen any of this from Mcfadden.

This is all supposition on my part, but I don't know if there are any short run over people you tube videos because there are so many Sportscenter type long runs or not.But I agree with the previous mention of the Alabama game. He consistently ran over their defensive lineman and LBs and was still doing it late in the fourth quarter with around 30 carries, but I believe that he suffered a concussion and was held out the rest of the game. He similarly dominated LSU when Arkansas played them at Baton Rouge after Thanksgiving and LSU thought they had to win to stay in the hunt for the national championship.I'm not a you tube guy, but surely there is some video from those two games available and if so, you will see many plays where he did not go down on first contact and did indeed run over SEC defenders.

EBF said:

The more I watch clips on McFadden, the more I am souring on him. What he did in college was amazing, but I'm just having doubts if he's going to be able to translate that production to the pro-game. A couple of things I noticed.- He does have amazing speed and acceleration; had no problem getting to the corner and turning upfield.

- He is definitely not a yards-after-contact guy; he looked untouched on most of the runs in that video.

- The couple big hits he had on defenders, they were always trying to tackle him high.

- He does run high; I don't think I saw him put his head down once.

Now I understand this is just a small sample, but I saw two major weaknesses that he could very well have trouble with in the pros.

1. Defenders will be faster, holes will be smaller and those runs he was able to bounce outside in college are going to be a lot harder to come buy in the pros.

2. He's gotta get that pad level down. He's not going to be able to blow-up NFL LBs at his current size taking them on head up, and most pro-defenders will probably tackling low anyways.

He sure seems to have the speed and vision to make an impact in the NFL, but as we've seen that isn't always enough (Bush). I don't think he has to be a bruiser will AD, but he will need to learn to be more patient, especially inside, and run lower if he's going to be the back everyone is thinking he will be.

EBF said:

The more I watch clips on McFadden, the more I am souring on him. What he did in college was amazing, but I'm just having doubts if he's going to be able to translate that production to the pro-game. A couple of things I noticed.- He does have amazing speed and acceleration; had no problem getting to the corner and turning upfield.

- He is definitely not a yards-after-contact guy; he looked untouched on most of the runs in that video.

- The couple big hits he had on defenders, they were always trying to tackle him high.

Now I understand this is just a small sample, but I saw two major weaknesses that he could very well have trouble with in the pros.

1. Defenders will be faster, holes will be smaller and those runs he was able to bounce outside in college are going to be a lot harder to come buy in the pros.

2. He's gotta get that pad level down. He's not going to be able to blow-up NFL LBs at his current size taking them on head up, and most pro-defenders will probably tackling low anyways.

He sure seems to have the speed and vision to make an impact in the NFL, but as we've seen that isn't always enough (Bush). I don't think he has to be a bruiser will AD, but he will need to learn to be more patient, especially inside, and run lower if he's going to be the back everyone is thinking he will be.
I agree with most of your observations. McFadden is truly a rare case in that he has a lot of pre-draft hype and will probably be a very early draft pick, but he also has an unusual build and a running style that doesn't resemble any current NFL stars. My attitude on him is that he has a lot of upside, but that he is a much bigger bust risk than his press clippings would indicate. He doesn't look like an NFL back and he doesn't run like an NFL back. My guess is that he will end up being more of a "slash" type player than a true workhorse RB at the next level. We'll see. As for Bush, I think he flashed a lot more quickness in college than DMC does. He's also VERY strong. I view Reggie as a bit of a buy low right now, but that's another discussion for another topic.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :shrug: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217
Um, yes he is.
Um, no he's not.

I agree with most of your observations. McFadden is truly a rare case in that he has a lot of pre-draft hype and will probably be a very early draft pick, but he also has an unusual build and a running style that doesn't resemble any current NFL stars. My attitude on him is that he has a lot of upside, but that he is a much bigger bust risk than his press clippings would indicate. He doesn't look like an NFL back and he doesn't run like an NFL back. My guess is that he will end up being more of a "slash" type player than a true workhorse RB at the next level. We'll see. As for Bush, I think he flashed a lot more quickness in college than DMC does. He's also VERY strong. I view Reggie as a bit of a buy low right now, but that's another discussion for another topic.
I wasn't really trying to imply a physical comparison between Bush and McFadden. I was more referring to the fact that they were both "speed" guys in college and Reggie really had some problems, especially early in his first year, trying to bounce evrything outside in the NFL.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :thumbup: McFadden- 6'01" 211 All Day- 6'01" 217
Um, yes he is.
Um, no he's not.
:) Anyone who has watched the Eagles knows Westbrook is NOT an inside runner....

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :excited: McFadden- 6'01" 211

All Day- 6'01" 217
Newsflash, same height and weight <> same build. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but apparently a lot.McFadden takes it outside too much for my liking. He will find out there are a lot of defenses in the NFL that can defend that rather easily.

Having said that, I do see McFadden having some monster games with long runs, but I also see a lot of 18/41.
Um, yes he is.
Um, no he's not.
:lmao: Anyone who has watched the Eagles knows Westbrook is NOT an inside runner....
Big difference. Your statement is true, Switz. Westbrook is not an inside runner and is used much more in space. But, when he is asked to be an inside runner, he is actually very good at it. The original comment said something different. The original comment was that Westbrook isn't a great inside runner and I disagree completely. I've watched him quite a bit as I've owned him several times over the last couple years. Here is a quote by Belichick about him:"He does everything well. He's just an outstanding player," Bill Belichick said about Westbrook. "He's got great quickness; he's a hard guy to tackle out in space. He's very good on screen passes and out of the backfield. He's obviously got good hands. He's a good inside runner; he has good vision, good balance and good speed. He's leading the league in production from the line of scrimmage. He does it in a lot of different ways. That's what makes him hard to defend -- he's pretty good at everything."

No question that's not what he's best at or used that way most often, but to say he's not a great inside runner isn't true, IMO.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :boxing: McFadden- 6'01" 211

All Day- 6'01" 217
Newsflash, same height and weight <> same build. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but apparently a lot.McFadden takes it outside too much for my liking. He will find out there are a lot of defenses in the NFL that can defend that rather easily.

Having said that, I do see McFadden having some monster games with long runs, but I also see a lot of 18/41.
Um, yes he is.
Um, no he's not.
:yes: Anyone who has watched the Eagles knows Westbrook is NOT an inside runner....
Big difference. Your statement is true, Switz. Westbrook is not an inside runner and is used much more in space. But, when he is asked to be an inside runner, he is actually very good at it. The original comment said something different. The original comment was that Westbrook isn't a great inside runner and I disagree completely. I've watched him quite a bit as I've owned him several times over the last couple years. Here is a quote by Belichick about him:"He does everything well. He's just an outstanding player," Bill Belichick said about Westbrook. "He's got great quickness; he's a hard guy to tackle out in space. He's very good on screen passes and out of the backfield. He's obviously got good hands. He's a good inside runner; he has good vision, good balance and good speed. He's leading the league in production from the line of scrimmage. He does it in a lot of different ways. That's what makes him hard to defend -- he's pretty good at everything."

No question that's not what he's best at or used that way most often, but to say he's not a great inside runner isn't true, IMO.
Ok, so in a word your 'Wrong'. Don't worry it will happen again.Dunn is small but great in between the tackles. Yet is too small to be a goal line back.

McFadden will be a every down back, theres not many. But He will be one of them.

So now I ask, how good will McFadden be?

I say a top 10 back for years to come.

EBF said:
Like I've mentioned before, I write a book on this stuff (3rd year doing so. 130 prospects, completely based on film study) and here's my take:I watched a ton of games and I'm more in line with Buddy's conclusions. His power that I saw came from momentum with a long running running start through a hole. He's impressive when he's bullying a CB or safety, but I saw more instances where McFadden was literally knocked backwards, or pulled down from behind and thrown on his butt or back than I saw from most backs. One of the most fundamental things a player is taught is to fall forward. Even when a DT grabs them from behind they have the kind of balance and hip drop that allows them to fall forward and lean forward. I didn't see this even in the LSU game this year when Dorsey was a shell of himself and they had a freshman in there. If he gets a large enough hole, he can be a beast to bring down if he gets past the LOS or to the corner with his momentum built up--which in his favor, it doesn't take long for him to do. In his favor as well as his acceleration and speed is that he tends to follow the play as it is supposed to be blocked (if it's between the tackles--although I've talked frequently about a common play he didn't manage to run very well) even if it doesn't net him yardage. He may lack some imagination at times, but if he's behind a disciplined, run blocking unit he could showcase his awesome talents while downplaying his deficiencies. And he has some very noticeable deficiencies IMO that you can see with a closer look into his game. It's just easy to be blown away by his size, speed, and acceleration. Bush was actually very good on inside runs in college. He needed less space than White and hit the holes decisively, often anticipating openings. He did this on a play against Arkansas three years ago on a nice play off guard that caught my attention. Also did it against ND on a well-defensed play, but he hit the gap very cleanly and make the great cut past the hole. I'd actually call the hole a crease because it was smaller than a hole and opened and closed quicker. I'm not sure why Bush is trying to be Mr. Big Play on every down, but he's regressed as an inside runner in some respects.McFadden to me is the most difficult player I have evaluated of close 400 prospects where I studied multiple games in a very detailed manner. I think he's going to disappoint lofty expectations, but he has undeniable physical skills that if he continues to work at his game he can blossom. To me is like the Michael Westbrook of running backs (not in attitude--that I can't judge--but in physical skill): great physical skills, but there are glaring fundamentals that he still hasn't incorporated into his game. He was a former QB and IMO, still runs a bit like one. He might be a smaller, much faster, Michael Bush (another player I wasn't so high on...which there is still plenty of time for me to be wrong, but I'll be surprised if he's every the steal of the draft that many said he'd be).

EBF said:

He kind of reminds me of a Chris Brown with speed.

They said all LT could do coming out of college was sweeps too - becasue thats all he did at TCU.
LT always had more shiftiness and power to his game. He has the perfect NFL RB body and running style.

EBF said:

6'03" 220, maybe. But I still say All Day or Dickerson.

They said all LT could do coming out of college was sweeps too - becasue thats all he did at TCU.
True, but LT is built completely the opposite of McFadden. He's 5'10", 220, and carries most of his weight in his lower body.In terms of upper body build and bulk, LT is probably one of the smaller/least muscular RBs in the NFL.

EBF said:

Once upon a time Chris Brown was fast. I think he ran low 4.4 or maybe even high 4.3 coming out of Colorado.

I'm not following your logic at all. I could be missing something, but it seems like you should put a little bit more thought into your posts. If you're trying to be sarcastic, it's not really coming through.

His pad level is too high, He goes down on first contact.If there's no hole, His vision is poor and can't see holes opening up 1 or 2 gaps away.So McFadden will not make it at the next level.
McFadden will be a every down back, theres not many. But He will be one of them.So now I ask, how good will McFadden be?I say a top 10 back for years to come.
Answer to topic: Yes All Day and McFadden are one in the same.Minus NO INJURIES as of now from McFadden. Were All Day has more than His share.Again I only have All Day ranked higher than McFadden going into the pro's.Over the last 5 years. Yep over Bush.In case most here don't know, the bigger FASTER back is now in.

EBF said:

Once upon a time Chris Brown was fast. I think he ran low 4.4 or maybe even high 4.3 coming out of Colorado.

The Scientist said:
cstu said:
No but Maroney=Speed. :confused: McFadden- 6'01" 211

All Day- 6'01" 217

Um, yes he is.
Um, no he's not.
:rolleyes: Anyone who has watched the Eagles knows Westbrook is NOT an inside runner....

Coachspeak.

Yes, they have similar heights and weights but to me the important thing is their vert's. Dmac jumped 33" while AD did 38.5" that indicates that AD has a heck of a lot more leg strength

I'm not following your logic at all. I could be missing something, but it seems like you should put a little bit more thought into your posts. If you're trying to be sarcastic, it's not really coming through.

His pad level is too high, He goes down on first contact.If there's no hole, His vision is poor and can't see holes opening up 1 or 2 gaps away.So McFadden will not make it at the next level.
McFadden will be a every down back, theres not many. But He will be one of them.So now I ask, how good will McFadden be?I say a top 10 back for years to come.
Answer to topic: Yes All Day and McFadden are one in the same.Minus NO INJURIES as of now from McFadden. Were All Day has more than His share.Again I only have All Day ranked higher than McFadden going into the pro's.Over the last 5 years. Yep over Bush.In case most here don't know, the bigger FASTER back is now in.
Learn it, Use it, Love it: You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Maroney=Speed.

I watched quite a few of his games over the past two years. I am not saying the guy is not going to be a decent pro, however I did not see the leg drive on inside plays that is required in the NF. He is very much like Reggie Bush in that he tries to turn the corner more times then not and as Reggie is learning, that doesn't fly in the NFL. I think "fans" of college players sometimes forget that these guys are playing against 2-300 guys over their career that wont be able to sniff the NFL. What you see in college is not always what you see in the Pros and the biggest difference in the pro game is player speed. This is why IMO guys like McFadden and Bush will struggle in the NFL until they learn the pro game.
Though it may not be the NFL, it's the SEC. It's not pac-10 or Conf USA...it's the SEC. SEC is known for stout defenses, please stop acting like he's playing flag football with a bunch of 6 year olds.

I hope you are not implying that McFadden doesn't have that because you can turn on many of highlight reels and watch all the misses. Thus, it would imply he too has a "make-you-miss" ability.

Yes, they have similar heights and weights but to me the important thing is their vert's. Dmac jumped 33" while AD did 38.5" that indicates that AD has a heck of a lot more leg strength
That might be true and I could agree on that point. Though I find it telling that Peterson had the injury concern in college and already has missed a few games in his first year in the NFL, while not carrying it FT either. Even though McFadden is skinny legged and might not have have the same leg strength...he's shown to be more durable.Hey, some people like the regular Oreo and some like Double Stuff. :tfp:

Users who are viewing this thread