What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Funk's Top 24 Rookies 2008 (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
I had initially planned to keep these rankings under wraps until after I had completed some of my money league drafts. Then I realized something: there isn't a single player in this class that I'd deeply regret missing out on. So while I'm tipping my hand to my leaguemates here, I don't really care. Chances are they already have their own preference about this year's players and, more importantly, I won't be upset if they snipe me in our drafts. It just means someone else will fall to my pick. The discussion is half the fun anyway, so what the Hell? Here goes...

General Thoughts:

This class is a great, giant ball of mediocrity. Inevitably some of these players will emerge out relative obscurity and become valuable commodities ala MJD and Greg Jennings. Yet I don't see a single player in this group who strikes me as a surefire 100% lock for success. There's no Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, or Reggie Bush in this class. There isn't a single freak of nature. What you have is a huge group of prospects who fall somewhere under the large umbrella of "good, but not great."

FYI, these rankings are for PPR leagues.

Tier One

1. Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Positives: Stewart is a powerful runner with a low center of gravity and enough hip swerve to make some nifty runs. He doesn't make a lot of "wow" plays like Reggie Bush or Adrian Peterson, but he does just about everything competently. He has the best package of physical skills of any RB in this class with elite strength, mid 4.4 speed, and good overall combine numbers.

Negatives: A little bit of a plodder. Right on the fence between ideal size and being too bulky. Will take some big hits and may be the type of back who is constantly on the injured list. Recently underwent surgery for a toe injury, which may or may not cause any lasting effects.

Overall: I expect Stewart to be a productive NFL starter when healthy. He should at least be a RB2 for FF purposes and if he lands on a good team then he could have a top 5 type impact. However, he is a notch below the truly elite prospects of recent years and he should not be viewed as a slam dunk stud. The injury issues are a concern and I have a nagging hunch that he might be banged up a lot at the pro level. I would not mortgage the farm to acquire him, but if I had the 1.01 pick he would probably be my choice at this point in time.

NFL Comparison: Ricky Williams, Fred Taylor

2. Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Positives: Mendenhall is built like a rock with a top notch combination of size, speed, and strength. He is solid overall athlete who could start in almost any system. He just looks like an NFL RB. I knew from the first time I saw him play this year that he would be a first round pick. I think he will have excellent durability at the next level, as his frame is ideally proportioned for the position. Very sturdy build.

Negatives: Not as shifty as you look for. More of a no-nonsense North-South runner than a guy who will shake and bake. A little bit stiff in the hips, he doesn't flash the "wiggle" of a guy like Westbrook or Bush. Good at everything, yet elite at nothing.

Overall: I think Mendenhall is a very safe bet to become a decent NFL player. He is just a good, solid RB prospect who should step in and start for a team from day done. If he lands in a good spot on draft day then he will warrant consideration at the 1.01. The gap between him and Stewart is VERY narrow in my mind. I might even prefer Mendenhall with a gun to my head since he seems like the safer pick. At the same time, there's a little bit of Thomas Jones/Julius Jones risk if he lands on a team with a weak supporting cast. He's likely not exceptional enough to transcend a bad situation. IMO, his success will always mirror his supporting cast.

NFL Comparison: Joseph Addai, Julius Jones

3. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

Positives: Electric speed and acceleration. Has the most upside of any RB in this class. The way he can rocket past people is exciting. And there's also no overlooking the fact that he dominated the country's most athletic conference for years. He has a home run dimension that will excite NFL teams. If his skills translate seamlessly, he will be very good.

Negatives: Built like a WR with a tall, skinny V-shaped frame. Doesn't show a lot of power, which makes sense given his lack of lower body bulk. Doesn't flash a lot of shiftiness. Straight line runner.

Overall: I want to like this guy. I really do. And yet there's just no getting around his funky body type and his abnormal running style. When I look at RB prospects, I look for squatty guys who have loose hips to change direction and explode out of their cuts. McFadden has explosiveness, but he is not shifty or powerful. Running over average SEC linebackers is one thing, but it's hard for me to imagine him having the same success against monsters like Jon Vilma, Kirk Morrison, and Patrick Willis. In the end, I just don't think he's cut from the same cloth as the elite pro runners. He will probably show flashes of greatness and there's a chance he could become an all-world type, yet I view him as a much bigger risk than his staggering hype would lead you to believe. I think he's more sizzle than steak at the pro level.

NFL Comparison: A cross between Laurence Maroney and Jerious Norwood

Tier Two

4. Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

Positives: Fluid runner with a strong build. Good shiftiness to get separation before the catch and make plays after the catch. Explosive athlete. Strong player. Versatile receiver who can make catches all over the field. Plays with fire. Quietly had a dominant season in which he averaged almost 100 yards per game in a BCS conference.

Negatives: Not a great deep ball receiver. More of an intermediate target who can get deep than a true deep threat.

NFL Comparison: Hines Ward, Dwayne Bowe

Overall: Thomas had been flying under the radar before his stellar showing at the combine. Not anymore. He will be a top 15-30 pick in April and he should eventually become one of the better skill players to emerge from this class.

5. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers

Positives: Has the best hips, lower body, and running style of any runner available this year. VERY fluid. Runs on a swivel and has the low center of gravity and smooth change of direction you dream of. Good, but not great speed. Stocky, sturdy build. Looks and runs like a RB should.

Negatives: Good thickness for his size, but he's short and light compared to the average NFL starting RB. There aren't many elite RBs who weigh under 200 pounds. Though he has good timed speed and quickness, I wouldn't really call him explosive. He's more of a power back than a home run guy.

Overall: Rice is a difficult prospect to gauge. On the one hand, he has a very sturdy frame and the best running style of any RB in the entire class. If he were 5'10" and 215 then he would be an elite prospect. Therein lies the rub. There aren't many successful 200 pound power backs in the NFL. He is a little guy and he may get engulfed by the bigger defenders in the league. I wouldn't underestimate him, yet he reminds me of Ryan Moats, another smallish RB who has thus far failed to live up to my lofty expectations for him. A good player who comes with some risk.

NFL Comparison: Ahmad Bradshaw, Brian Westbrook, Ryan Moats, Frank Gore

6. Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

Positives: King-sized WR with great hands. Smooth athlete who glides on the field. He is not a burner, but I think the questions about his speed are misguided. He is plenty fast to make the transition. I'd peg him as a mid 4.4 guy.

Negatives: Not truly explosive before or after the catch. Like a lot of taller receivers, he might struggle to get separation on short and intermediate routes. Solid prospect, but is he elite? His game doesn't really scream superstar and he may be better suited to a WR2 role at the next level.

Overall: A good, but not great WR prospect who should develop into a solid pro player, but may never become a stud.

NFL Comparison: Javon Walker, Braylon Edwards

7. James Hardy, WR, Indiana

Positives: Big receiver who takes advantage of his size. Quicker than you would expect. Pretty fluid and fast. Very productive in college. A terror in the red zone who can dominate defenders on jump ball throws.

Negatives: Some of these taller receivers have been fool's gold in the past. While they look good on paper, they often lack the quickness needed to separate from pro defensive backs. Hardy may struggle to find room against the freakishly fast DBs in the NFL.

Overall: A good all-around WR worthy of a first round selection. Has the raw tools to be productive if he maximizes his ability and stays out of trouble.

NFL Comparison: Marques Colston

Tier Three

8. Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

Positives: Explosive. At his best, he looks like the real deal. He can plant his foot in the ground and change directions instantly. He has a pretty good build for the position, with most of his weight concentrated in his thighs. He had silly YPC averages in college. Has enough sustained speed to break long runs.

Negatives: Doesn't break tackles. A bit of an enigma. It's almost like there were two different guys named Felix Jones running the ball for Arkansas last year. One of them was a beast, but the other one...not so much.

Overall: A boom-or-bust player who could be great or a total flop. In the end though, he has a good overall package of skills and I think he makes a worthwhile gamble once the top receivers are off the board.

9. Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida

Positives: Very good timed speed. Big time recruit of high school. Though he isn't the hugest or most imposing receiver on the planet, he is physically in the mold of guys like Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt. Fluid athlete who should be a good route runner in the NFL.

Negatives: Productive, but not a true star in college. Not a flashy player who dominates physically.

Overall: Quietly a very solid prospect who could develop into a good pro wideout. He is probably closer to a WR2 than a WR1 at the next level, but if he lands in a good situation then he's capable of putting up numbers.

NFL Comparison: A little bit like Greg Jennings

10. Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan

Positives: Good college player who put up pretty big numbers. One of those guys who doesn't have any special physical qualities, but is just a natural football player. Can beat corners all over the field and make the difficult grab.

Negatives: Lacks elite physical qualities. More crafty than physically dominant.

Overall: Yet another guy who fits in with this year's theme of "good, but not great." Manningham doesn't jump out at you on paper, but he is a solid prospect capable of developing into a starting receiver in the NFL.

NFL Comparison: Greg Jennings

11. Eddie Royal, WR, Virginia Tech

Positives: Dynamite athlete with freakish physical gifts. 4.3 speed and superhuman strength for his size. He bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the combine, which is staggering when you consider that he only weighs 185 pounds. Short, but built tough with thick legs. Dangerous open field runner who can take it to the house any time he touches the ball.

Negatives: Like a lot of smaller receivers, he will struggle against physical corners. For all his speed and quickness, there's something slightly upright about his game. Wasn't overly productive as a receiver in college, although I'm willing to chalk that up to Tech's typically inept passing attack.

Overall: Royal immediately jumped out at me when I first watched highlights of him several months ago. His postseason ascent up the draft boards has been both satisfying and disappointing (he won't come cheap anymore). He will get picked in the top 70 in April and while he may never be more than a mid-level WR2 for NFL purposes, he is a solid prospect who should help an NFL team win.

NFL Comparison: Laveranues Coles

12. Desean Jackson, WR, California

Positives: Electric speed. Shifty in the open field. Can take short throws and turn them into long gains. Good hand-eye coordination and is more than just a return man.

Negatives: Very small for the position, to the point where you wonder if he isn't destined to be a slot guy like Roscoe Parrish. He's not as good as Santana Moss was, and Santana Moss is only a fringe top 20 WR in the NFL.

Overall: A good football player who should have a long and productive career, Jackson is a guy who probably offers more NFL than FF value. He will be a first round pick, but his slight frame makes him a risky FF proposisiton.

NFL Comparison: Somewhere between Santana Moss and Roscoe Parrish

Tier Four

13. Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech

Posititives: Does everything pretty well. Pretty shifty. Pretty powerful. A versatile talent who could step in and probably perform pretty well in a starting role right off the bat. Was almost a one-man offense at times in his college career.

Negatives: Not special in any way. He is good at everything, and great at nothing.

Overall: Choice is a sneaky RB prospect who could end up making a bigger FF impact than expected. Though he lacks the special qualities to demand a starting role, he's the type of player who could make the most of an opportunity. He will be a quality pick if he lands on a team that gives him a chance to start, but he will be a pretty mediocre option if he gets stuck behind a young starter.

NFL Comparison: Chester Taylor, Mewelde Moore

14. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

Positives: Though he has a somewhat gangly build, he is capable of making quick cuts and changing directions. Looks tall during games, but he has strong thighs. Lots of people compare McFadden to Peterson, but Smith is actually closer to ADP when you look at body type and running style. Dominated his competition.

Negatives: Looks tall and is a long-strider. Though he has quick feet and very good long speed, he isn't explosive.

Overall: One of the true enigmas in this class. I was initially very lukewarm on his prospects, yet he's making a late surge up my board to the point where I would at least consider him inside the top 10 if I needed RB help. He has one of the highest ceilings of the lesser backs in this draft since he has enough size to be an every down guy. Don't bank on him succeeding, but he could pay off huge if you roll the dice on him. Big time boom-or-bust pick.

NFL Comparison: There's no one out there who runs quite like him.

15. Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas

Positives: Explosive speed with good overall athletic ability. Came on strong down the stretch last year and had some monster games where he looked like a dominant force. He is a slippery back with a good running style that should translate pretty well to the next level.

Undersized: Light with a thin frame. Lacks power. Unless he can bulk up, he may never amount to more than a change of pace back.

Overall: Charles has a lot of athletic ability and upside, but he looks like he might end up being more of a change of pace guy than a true starter at the NFL level. So while I think he has the potential to become one of the FF steals from this class, I also think there's a big chance that he'll never be more than a backup or RBBC type. Worth considering as early as 9-10, but this is where I have him slotted for now.

NFL Comparison: Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis

16. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

Positives: Tall with good hands. Will make some ridiculous catches. Much more fluid than you would expect.

Negatives: Long strider who lacks quickness off the ball. While he'll make some great plays, I think he will struggle to consistently gain separation from NFL DB's. He is neither explosive nor quick out of breaks.

Overall: This might be an overly pessimistic view of Sweed's prospects, but he looks a little like fool's gold to me. He has some upside and he's capable of proving me wrong, but I don't have a rosy outlook for his FF future.

NFL Comparison: A poor man's Braylon Edwards

17. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

Positives: Looks the part. Big guy with the necessary arm strength. Good intangibles and leadership qualities.

Negatives: Known for inconsistent decisions. Threw quite a few interceptions in college.

NFL Comparison: Drew Bledsoe

Tier Five

18. Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California

Positives: Quick. Plays faster than his timed speed. Can make acrobatic catches. Had a very strong showing at the Senior Bowl, where he routinely beat coverage from some of the better corners in the country.

Negatives: A little bit thin. Generally has good hands, but will drop a clutch catch here and there. Not a player who physically dominates the opposition.

Overall: A bit of a sleeper, Hawkins could develop into a productive second WR at the next level.

NFL Comparison: Santonio Holmes

19. Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky

Positives: Explosive. Good playing speed and toughness. Makes plays after the catch. Can make the difficult reception. Good production in college.

Negatives: A little bit thin.

Overall: Burton is a quality sleeper who could emerge from this class and become a productive WR2. Are you sensing a pattern here?

NFL Comparison: TJ Houshmandzadeh

20. Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

Positives: Very fast. Explosive quickness. Good hands.

Negatives: A little on the small side. Weak.

Overall: Avery is cut from the same cloth as Desean Jackson and Eddie Royal. He is interesting player who should be a high draft pick, but like the aforementioned two guys, he's probably more of a WR2 or slot guy than a WR1 at the next level.

NFL Comparison: Santana Moss

21. Early Doucet, WR, LSU

Positives: Good size and strength. Versatile receiver who should grow into a starting role at the next level.

Negatives: Doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well. He was a major recruit for LSU, but he never really became a star in college. There aren't any glaring holes in his game, yet he's a tough player to get excited about.

Overall: Another talented receiver with starting potential, Doucet should eventually become a contributor for an NFL team. But I view him more as a 800-900 yard type than a guy who is going to dominate. He will have to land in the perfect situation to become a top 20 type.

NFL Comparison: Arnaz Battle

22. Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt

Positives: Immensely productive. Not a guy who jumps off the screen at you, but he's a good football player. Pretty good size and strength.

Negatives: Not a special athlete. Speed and quickness are merely adequate. More of a "gamer" than a flashy player.

Overall: A good possession WR who will probably never be a great FF WR. Limited upside here.

NFL Comparison: James Jones

23. Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina

Positives: Video game speed with very good overall athletic ability. Low center of gravity and adequate quickness.

Negatives: Undersized. Lacks the bulk needed to break tackles and gain tough yards.

Overall: A workout warrior who probably won't make a major impact at the next level. There's some upside here given his workout numbers and his draft hype, but I'm pretty lukewarm on his potential.

NFL Comparison: A poor man's Brian Westbrook

24. Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

Positives: Big guy with good power and quick feet. He can make nice cuts and was a solid performer at the Senior Bowl. Not a burner, but fast enough for the job.

Negatives: Nor a truly flashy player. Not an explosive athlete. Tall with long legs.

Overall: Forte is a good football player, but he lacks the physical upside to become a starter in the NFL. He should be viewed as a backup who will be a competent spot starter for the team that drafts him.

NFL Comparison: A poor man's Deuce McAllister

Bubble Boys

QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

QB Chad Henne, Michigan

RB Ryan Torain, Arizona State

RB Steve Slaton, West Virginia

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

- Why do I have the QBs so low? Simple. I don't believe in using high rookie picks on QBs in all but the most extreme cases. Why would I use my 1.08 on a risky proposition like Matt Ryan when I could just trade it for Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub, two guys who have already had success at the NFL level? I don't think you're getting great bang for your buck if you're taking a QB in the top 15. That said, you can definitely make a case for Henne and Brohm somewhere in the 10-20 range. My low QB rankings are a matter of personal preference. I feel it's easier to scout WRs and RBs, so that's where I typically place my bets.

- No TEs? Aside from Fred Davis, I didn't get a chance to see many of these guys play on a regular basis, so I am just now getting caught up. If one or two of these catches my eye then he could move somewhere into the top 24. But my attitude towards TEs is similar to my attitude towards QBs. They don't usually make a lot of sense in the top 20 rookie picks from a risk/reward standpoint unless it's a Winslow type player. A good starting TE is cheap to trade for in an FF league.

- The gaps between the tiers aren't that huge after the top 6-7 guys are gone. I wouldn't call you crazy if you said you like Early Doucet and Lavelle Hawkins more than Eddie Royal and Andre Caldwell. It's a very, very slim value gap between those guys. Like I said, there are a lot of "good, but not great" types out there this year.

- Steve Slaton? Decent player, but too thin to be a workhorse. How the mighty have fallen.

- My picks this year aren't very controversial. I don't see a lot of great sleeper talents out there who make me want to shake up my rankings. There are a couple guys out there who I am keeping an eye on, but as of now they don't belong on this list. Some of my "sleepers" like Eddie Royal and Devin Thomas have been outed after blowing up in the postseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff. Nice surprises in there with Royal and Caldwell. Comparing Charles to Portis blows me away.

Great stuff. Nice surprises in there with Royal and Caldwell. Comparing Charles to Portis blows me away.
Caldwell and Royal will be top 40-75 picks come April. So while they might look overrated here, these are PPR ratings and any receiver drafted that high is worth a long look. Portis is an absolute best case scenario for Charles. I don't think Charles will ever get to that level, but it's something for him to aspire to since Portis also entered the league somewhat undersized (the big difference being that Portis was known as a good power runner in college and Charles was not).

Caldwell and Royal will be a top 40-75 picks come April. So while they might look overrated here, these are PPR ratings and any receiver drafted that high is worth a long look. Portis is an absolute best case scenario for Charles. I don't think Charles will ever get to that level, but it's something for him to aspire to since Portis also entered the league somewhat undersized (the big difference being that Portis was known as a good power runner in college and Charles was not).
Thanks. What do you think of the Charles/Micheal Bennett comparison?

Caldwell and Royal will be a top 40-75 picks come April. So while they might look overrated here, these are PPR ratings and any receiver drafted that high is worth a long look. Portis is an absolute best case scenario for Charles. I don't think Charles will ever get to that level, but it's something for him to aspire to since Portis also entered the league somewhat undersized (the big difference being that Portis was known as a good power runner in college and Charles was not).
Thanks. What do you think of the Charles/Micheal Bennett comparison?
It's not terrible. Bennett is actually not THAT bad. He's just not quite good enough to be a starter in the NFL. Charles has a similar body type, but looks to me like he could end up a bit more powerful than Bennett ever was.

5. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers

Positives: Has the best hips, lower body, and running style of any runner available this year. VERY fluid. Runs on a swivel and has the low center of gravity and smooth change of direction you dream of. Good, but not great speed. Stocky, sturdy build. Looks and runs like a RB should.

Negatives: Good thickness for his size, but he's short and light compared to the average NFL starting RB. There aren't many elite RBs who weigh under 200 pounds. Though he has good timed speed and quickness, I wouldn't really call him explosive. He's more of a power back than a home run guy.

Overall: Rice is a difficult prospect to gauge. On the one hand, he has a very sturdy frame and the best running style of any RB in the entire class. If he were 5'10" and 215 then he would be an elite prospect. Therein lies the rub. There aren't many successful 200 pound power backs in the NFL. He is a little guy and he may get engulfed by the bigger defenders in the league. I wouldn't underestimate him, yet he reminds me of Ryan Moats, another smallish RB who has thus far failed to live up to my lofty expectations for him. A good player who comes with some risk.

I don't get this comparison. Westbrook, Gore, Bradshaw and Moats - two Top 10 Dynasty RBs with different styles, a rookie flash from last year who may stick around, and a never-was?Gore is the closest, but I don't get the grouping. :goodposting:

Positives: Dynamite athlete with freakish physical gifts. 4.3 speed and superhuman strength for his size. He bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the combine, which is staggering when you consider that he only weighs 185 pounds. Short, but built tough with thick legs. Dangerous open field runner who can take it to the house any time he touches the ball.

Negatives: Like a lot of smaller receivers, he will struggle against physical corners. For all his speed and quickness, there's something slightly upright about his game. Wasn't overly productive as a receiver in college, although I'm willing to chalk that up to Tech's typically inept passing attack.

Overall: Royal immediately jumped out at me when I first watched highlights of him several months ago. His postseason ascent up the draft boards has been both satisfying and disappointing (he won't come cheap anymore). He will get picked in the top 70 in April and while he may never be more than a mid-level WR2 for NFL purposes, he is a solid prospect who should help an NFL team win.

While I really like Royal, not sure about the Coles comparison - simply because Royal brings the KR/PR aspect of his game that Coles doesn't.Royal will make whomever drafts him a very happy franchise, and make that GM look like a genius.

I don't get this comparison. Westbrook, Gore, Bradshaw and Moats - two Top 10 Dynasty RBs with different styles, a rookie flash from last year who may stick around, and a never-was?Gore is the closest, but I don't get the grouping. :thumbup:
Surely you remember Moats? What does NFL success have to do with comparisons?

5. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers

I don't get this comparison. Westbrook, Gore, Bradshaw and Moats - two Top 10 Dynasty RBs with different styles, a rookie flash from last year who may stick around, and a never-was?Gore is the closest, but I don't get the grouping. :thumbup:
Physically, Rice is built low and thick like Gore, Bradshaw, and Moats. They all have similar running styles, IMO. Rice reminds me of Westbrook in the way he can make a quick lateral bounce at full speed, though Westbrook has a better burst. Westbrook doesn't have great timed speed, but his burst is silly.

Ok, let's strike Moats.Westbrook and Gore are not similar at all. Let's start there.

While I really like Royal, not sure about the Coles comparison - simply because Royal brings the KR/PR aspect of his game that Coles doesn't.Royal will make whomever drafts him a very happy franchise, and make that GM look like a genius.
In terms of body type, they are almost mirror images. Both are short, but sturdy. They also have pretty similar playing styles. Coles was a third round pick with 4.3 speed who entered the league with little fanfare. Royal will be a second or third round pick with 4.3 speed who enters the league with little fanfare.The return stuff is irrelevant IMO since it doesn't factor into my FF leagues.

Ok, let's strike Moats.Westbrook and Gore are not similar at all. Let's start there.
The Gore comparison I've heard before and I think it's the closest of this grouping.Other names dropped as similar to Rice have been:MJD EmmittCMartI can see elements of all 3 in Rice, but also holes in MJD's comparison (Rice doesn't do the returning of kicks and isn't nearly as slippery in open field).Bear in mind I'm a big Rice supporter - just wanted to hear the reasoning behind the comparisons / names. I didn't see the analogy.

I would say Rice is somewhat like a hybrid of those two. Not as explosive as Westbrook. Not as powerful as Gore. Reminds me of both of them in different ways though.

In terms of body type, they are almost mirror images. Both are short, but sturdy. They also have pretty similar playing styles. Coles was a third round pick with 4.3 speed who entered the league with little fanfare. Royal will be a second or third round pick with 4.3 speed who enters the league with little fanfare.The return stuff is irrelevant IMO since it doesn't factor into my FF leagues.
I see this often this time of year - people throw out their lists of players without context.I can see that this is your list for FF purposes, I get it. But when you start to throw out players for comparison basis and elements of their style, you cannot discount something that defines that player. Otherwise the comparisons don't make sense - which they don't this in this case because you're mixing how to define the player. First you talk about running styles in RBs, now you talk about speed and body type in the WR - none of which have FF elements to them. It's more a description of how they are as an NFL talent. If you start going down that road then fork when you want (ignoring a playmaking ability in his KR/PR abilities) then you do the thread a disservice.

Sorry to rail on you some, but inconsistencies can lead to confusion and loss of your message. I do think you did a good job in your list and I agree with your overall highlighting of Royal.

Here is where I see some of Westbrook in Rice's game. Check out the runs starting at 1:14 until about 1:33. In these runs Westbrook makes a lot of sharp lateral cuts, what I might describe as a bounce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MXydcgz4DU

Now watch this Ray Rice video from about 0:32 until about 1:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWPbzMUKX8

You will see a lot of "bounce" type cuts in there. The cuts Rice makes at 0:34 to juke the d-lineman and at 1:45 to shake the safety behind his blocker are SICK cuts. You can't teach that type of stuff. And that's why Rice is more than just a plodding power back. Like I said, he runs on a swivel. There aren't a lot of backs who out there who can shift directions so smoothly and instinctively.

I see this often this time of year - people throw out their lists of players without context.I can see that this is your list for FF purposes, I get it. But when you start to throw out players for comparison basis and elements of their style, you cannot discount something that defines that player. Otherwise the comparisons don't make sense - which they don't this in this case because you're mixing how to define the player. First you talk about running styles in RBs, now you talk about speed and body type in the WR - none of which have FF elements to them. It's more a description of how they are as an NFL talent. If you start going down that road then fork when you want (ignoring a playmaking ability in his KR/PR abilities) then you do the thread a disservice.Sorry to rail on you some, but inconsistencies can lead to confusion and loss of your message. I do think you did a good job in your list and I agree with your overall highlighting of Royal.
:thumbup: I'm strictly talking FF impact here. Since the return element has no bearing on Royal's FF impact, I don't think it's necessary to compare him to a return man. People here want to know what to expect from these players as FF performers. I think the best FF comparison for Royal is Coles. So that's the comparison I made. No more explanation is necessary. I would argue that running style, speed, and body type all have a bearing on a player's FF prospects. They can also help the readers get an idea of what type of player the prospect compares to. I think that's helpful.

I see this often this time of year - people throw out their lists of players without context.

I can see that this is your list for FF purposes, I get it. But when you start to throw out players for comparison basis and elements of their style, you cannot discount something that defines that player. Otherwise the comparisons don't make sense - which they don't this in this case because you're mixing how to define the player. First you talk about running styles in RBs, now you talk about speed and body type in the WR - none of which have FF elements to them. It's more a description of how they are as an NFL talent. If you start going down that road then fork when you want (ignoring a playmaking ability in his KR/PR abilities) then you do the thread a disservice.

Sorry to rail on you some, but inconsistencies can lead to confusion and loss of your message. I do think you did a good job in your list and I agree with your overall highlighting of Royal.
:thumbup: I'm strictly talking FF impact here. Since the return element has no bearing on Royal's FF impact, I don't think it's necessary to compare him to a return man. People here want to know what to expect from these players as FF performers. I think the best NFL comparison for Royal is Coles. So that's the comparison I made. No more explanation is necessary.

I would argue that running style, speed, and body type all have a bearing on a player's FF prospects. They can also help the readers get an idea of what type of player the prospect compares to. I think that's helpful.
Care to explain the comparison of Ryan Moats to Ray Rice now?

I see this often this time of year - people throw out their lists of players without context.

I can see that this is your list for FF purposes, I get it. But when you start to throw out players for comparison basis and elements of their style, you cannot discount something that defines that player. Otherwise the comparisons don't make sense - which they don't this in this case because you're mixing how to define the player. First you talk about running styles in RBs, now you talk about speed and body type in the WR - none of which have FF elements to them. It's more a description of how they are as an NFL talent. If you start going down that road then fork when you want (ignoring a playmaking ability in his KR/PR abilities) then you do the thread a disservice.

:lol: I'm strictly talking FF impact here. Since the return element has no bearing on Royal's FF impact, I don't think it's necessary to compare him to a return man. People here want to know what to expect from these players as FF performers. I think the best NFL comparison for Royal is Coles. So that's the comparison I made. No more explanation is necessary.

I would argue that running style, speed, and body type all have a bearing on a player's FF prospects. They can also help the readers get an idea of what type of player the prospect compares to. I think that's helpful.
Sure. They're both short, stocky backs with good lateral shiftiness. Rice runs with a little more power, but they're comparable in terms of pedigree, body type, and playing style. Should I explain every other comparison on my list for you?

Jeff, picking at the player comparisons is like complaining about Cindy Crawford's mole. Let's not clutter up the overall message with this stuff.

Good work EBF.

:lol: I'm strictly talking FF impact here. Since the return element has no bearing on Royal's FF impact, I don't think it's necessary to compare him to a return man. People here want to know what to expect from these players as FF performers. I think the best NFL comparison for Royal is Coles. So that's the comparison I made. No more explanation is necessary.

Sure. They're both short, stocky backs with good lateral shiftiness. Rice runs with a little more power, but they're comparable in terms of pedigree, body type, and playing style. Should I explain every other comparison on my list for you?
You don't have to explain yourself to me, but don't be surprised when others point out your inconsistencies.If you can't see that you're inconsistent by first describing a player by physical comparisons:

5. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers

I don't get this comparison. Westbrook, Gore, Bradshaw and Moats - two Top 10 Dynasty RBs with different styles, a rookie flash from last year who may stick around, and a never-was?Gore is the closest, but I don't get the grouping. :bag:
Physically, Rice is built low and thick like Gore, Bradshaw, and Moats. They all have similar running styles, IMO. Rice reminds me of Westbrook in the way he can make a quick lateral bounce at full speed, though Westbrook has a better burst. Westbrook doesn't have great timed speed, but his burst is silly.
and then saying:
:bs:

I'm strictly talking FF impact here.
Hope you can see the problem. If you can't, I can't help.

:football: I'm strictly talking FF impact here. Since the return element has no bearing on Royal's FF impact, I don't think it's necessary to compare him to a return man. People here want to know what to expect from these players as FF performers. I think the best NFL comparison for Royal is Coles. So that's the comparison I made. No more explanation is necessary.

You don't have to explain yourself to me, but don't be surprised when others point out your inconsistencies.If you can't see that you're inconsistent by first describing a player by physical comparisons:

5. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers

I don't get this comparison. Westbrook, Gore, Bradshaw and Moats - two Top 10 Dynasty RBs with different styles, a rookie flash from last year who may stick around, and a never-was?Gore is the closest, but I don't get the grouping. :shrug:
and then saying:
:lol:

I'm strictly talking FF impact here.
Hope you can see the problem. If you can't, I can't help.
It's rare that you have a player who's a perfect mirror image of a current NFL player. So typically what you do is you throw out a couple names of comparable players to give the readers an overall picture of what to expect from a given prospect. You could say Frank Gore and Ryan Moats represent the range of Ray Rice's potential in the NFL. I think most people understand the comparisons and find them helpful. I'm sorry if you don't.

Great post, EBF. I agree with a lot of what you've put down. I will say, though, I'm astonished how high you have Devin Thomas. I will definitely have to go back and see if I'm missing something. I do find it interesting that the guys you compare him to aren't world-beaters, but compare Hardy and Kelly to considerably better WR's, yet still prefer him that high.

As a UCF alum, I've actually paid significant attention to Kevin Smith and might be admittedly biased to him. However, I'm glad to see someone show some hope for him since I've seen him pretty low on a lot of lists. As you stated, I can't find anyone to compare him to but for some reason I just love the way he runs the ball. At times, it's just effortless and he would pick up chunk after chunk of yardage. A lot of top college prospects are more "dazzling" because of how much better they are than the relative competition at the college level. Smith, on the other hand, doesn't have that, but almost seems to have that extra bit when he needs it and it matters. It's tough to explain, I guess. In a way, he goes down too easy, but it seems when there isn't really anything there. When there is something, he makes much more out of it than you'd expect and makes it look easy, not flashy. Definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on with a low 1st round pick.

The one that has been also creeping up quite a bit that I'm just not seeing is Choice. I haven't seen much of him, but really haven't been impressed with anything I have seen. From the way you described him, I'm not anymore impressed though you have him ranked above some guys with considerably more potential I think. That's probably my only complaint with your rankings.

Thanks for the hard work.

P.S.--I agree with your Rice comparisons to both Gore and Westbrook. I actually see him considerably closer to Westbrook than Gore.

It's rare that you have a player who's a perfect mirror image of a current NFL player. So typically what you do is you throw out a couple names of comparable players to give the readers an overall picture of what to expect from a given prospect. You could say Frank Gore and Ryan Moats represent the range of Ray Rice's potential in the NFL. I think most people understand the comparisons and find them helpful. I'm sorry if you don't.
:football:Enjoy your fantasy football team by drafting Ryan Moats 5th overall.

EBF, there are very few people I put on a short list of when they talk I listen, and you are certainly one of them. Please keep the great information on the rookies coming. A lot of us get a decent grip on the current NFL players but we lean on information like this for the incoming players.

Great post, EBF. I agree with a lot of what you've put down. I will say, though, I'm astonished how high you have Devin Thomas. I will definitely have to go back and see if I'm missing something. I do find it interesting that the guys you compare him to aren't world-beaters, but compare Hardy and Kelly to considerably better WR's, yet still prefer him that high.
One thing to consider is that Thomas was working with what I consider a very poor QB last year in Hoyer.

I think you can sometimes lump WRs into categories based on their playing style. There are the size-speed hybrids like Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, and Torry Holt. There are the smurfs like Santana Moss and Steve Smith. And there are the power receivers like Boldin, Ward, and Bowe. I think Thomas fits nicely into this last group. He is a biggish WR who will make his living moving the chains with short to intermediate grabs and yards after the catch. He isn't as strong as someone like Boldin, but his 4.3 speed gives him a nice upside. Thomas, Hardy, and Kelly are all in the same tier on my list. I like all of them and would be happy to land any of them. They won't all be studs, but they're solid prospects.
As a UCF alum, I've actually paid significant attention to Kevin Smith and might be admittedly biased to him. However, I'm glad to see someone show some hope for him since I've seen him pretty low on a lot of lists. As you stated, I can't find anyone to compare him to but for some reason I just love the way he runs the ball. At times, it's just effortless and he would pick up chunk after chunk of yardage. A lot of top college prospects are more "dazzling" because of how much better they are than the relative competition at the college level. Smith, on the other hand, doesn't have that, but almost seems to have that extra bit when he needs it and it matters. It's tough to explain, I guess. In a way, he goes down too easy, but it seems when there isn't really anything there. When there is something, he makes much more out of it than you'd expect and makes it look easy, not flashy. Definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on with a low 1st round pick.
He is an interesting player for sure. Didn't wow me when I watched his bowl game and his combine was merely okay, but there's something intriguing about the way he glides down the field. And his quickness is deceptive. His long legs make him look slow and awkward, but he's actually pretty quick.
The one that has been also creeping up quite a bit that I'm just not seeing is Choice. I haven't seen much of him, but really haven't been impressed with anything I have seen. From the way you described him, I'm not anymore impressed though you have him ranked above some guys with considerably more potential I think. That's probably my only complaint with your rankings.
Maybe he's too high. I might be inclined to gamble on a WR or somebody like Charles instead. I think he could generate some nice buzz and trade value if he were to get a starting shot. I think Chester Taylor is the best comparison in terms of talent level. Don't expect a world beater, but if he's starting he will produce.

One thing to consider is that Thomas was working with what I consider a very poor QB last year in Hoyer.
Thomas passes the eyeball test, had great statistics, blew up at the combine, and will be a high draft pick. You can't ask for much more than that from a prospect. I'm not necessarily predicting greatness, but he's one of the better talents in this skill player crop. Remember, sometimes the best WRs aren't touted as can't miss guys coming into the NFL. Just recently we've seen Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, and Santonio Holmes emerge from that 25-35 range to become feared NFL receivers. It would be presumptuous to assume Thomas will have the same kind of success, but I think it's possible. He averaged almost 100 yards per game in his first real D1 action, which is pretty impressive. Some people use the "one year wonder" thing as a knock against him, but I think it's impressive to be able to do that kind of damage with your first major opportunity.

EBF I appreciate your post :lmao:

Always nice to see other people's points of view and since I'm just learning here, I'll take all the advice I can get :bye:

Thanks again,

Ckev

He is an interesting player for sure. Didn't wow me when I watched his bowl game and his combine was merely okay, but there's something intriguing about the way he glides down the field. And his quickness is deceptive. His long legs make him look slow and awkward, but he's actually pretty quick.
That's a great way to put it. He really does just kind of glide and is very deceptive in terms of his speed. The thing is, he doesn't do it all the time, but when he does, it's amazing how he just gets down the field. It's not explosive, it's not blazing top-line speed, it just kind of happens.I can also understand how he wouldn't wow you in those few times. It actually took me a while watching him to really appreciate what he was able to do. The first few games I watched, he just looked like another "odd" college RB (in terms of running style), nothing special though. You'd look at the stat sheets and go, "wow, he did all that?". Then, as I kept on watching, I kept seeing that he did it over and over, chunks of yards at a time without appearing to be working hard. I guess he's just a guy that a couple highlight videos won't cut it, which is probably why he's lower on people's radar as far as the eye test. If not for his amazing workload and stats he just put up this year, I doubt anyone knows who he is.

EBF, there are very few people I put on a short list of when they talk I listen, and you are certainly one of them. Please keep the great information on the rookies coming. A lot of us get a decent grip on the current NFL players but we lean on information like this for the incoming players.
:blackdot: Thanks GB

Thomas passes the eyeball test, had great statistics, blew up at the combine, and will be a high draft pick. You can't ask for much more than that from a prospect. I'm not necessarily predicting greatness, but he's one of the better talents in this skill player crop. Remember, sometimes the best WRs aren't touted as can't miss guys coming into the NFL. Just recently we've seen Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, and Santonio Holmes emerge from that 25-35 range to become feared NFL receivers. It would be presumptuous to assume Thomas will have the same kind of success, but I think it's possible. He averaged almost 100 yards per game in his first real D1 action, which is pretty impressive. Some people use the "one year wonder" thing as a knock against him, but I think it's impressive to be able to do that kind of damage with your first major opportunity.
Thomas probably has the best athletic profile for any WR in the draft. Does he have the hands, route running and concetration that it takes to succeed? A Little more questionable. I think he we had seen him for more than a year or a more high profile offense then he probably he is a lock to the number 1 WR, but because we don't he will be rated all over the boards.

Me want some Kelly/Thomas/Hardy at 1.11 this year. Don't let me down, we need a #2 WR. Really hoping for Malcom Kelly, we have enough short WRs.. Here is to hoping he can be Brandon Marshall part II :lmao:

Me want some Kelly/Thomas/Hardy at 1.11 this year. Don't let me down, we need a #2 WR. Really hoping for Malcom Kelly, we have enough short WRs.. Here is to hoping he can be Brandon Marshall part II :lmao:
I think Kelly is the best pick for them and I think his stock will be high enough after his 40 time to justify the pick. Any one of those three guys would be solid selections though. The Bills are making smart picks even if it means reaching a little. If that trend continues, I'd look for them to nab one of these WRs at 1.11. I think they've finally realized that Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, and Peerless Price aren't adequate second options.

Thomas probably has the best athletic profile for any WR in the draft. Does he have the hands, route running and concetration that it takes to succeed? A Little more questionable. I think he we had seen him for more than a year or a more high profile offense then he probably he is a lock to the number 1 WR, but because we don't he will be rated all over the boards.
He's not the type of receiver who gets drafted in the top 15. He's a good pick in the 15-30 range and stands a pretty good chance of being productive for whichever team takes him. I look for him to come off the board somewhere in the 19-22 range with Philadelphia and Washington being strong possibilities. If he slips then Tennesee or Seattle might take him.

He's not the type of receiver who gets drafted in the top 15. He's a good pick in the 15-30 range and stands a pretty good chance of being productive for whichever team takes him. I look for him to come off the board somewhere in the 19-22 range with Philadelphia and Washington being strong possibilities. If he slips then Tennesee or Seattle might take him.
Kelly is the closest to a top half of the draft type of guy in this draft, but I would not reach for him. Solid prospect in my mind with the highest floor, but not as dynamic as I would like. The separation between the top 3 or 4 "big" WRs is not great enough in my mind, but then again I feel like the problem with Reed and Parrish is not size but all around ability and would be more concerned with a good WR versus a big one.

EBF, what's your take on BenJarvus Green, Thomas Brown and Xavier Omon?
Brown - A solid day two value. He probably doesn't have the special qualities needed to become a starter in the NFL, but he's a good overall athlete and football player. I think he'll make an NFL roster. Probably a 4th-6th round pick. Green-Ellis - An interesting sleeper in the Wali Lundy and Cedric Houston mold. He is not a great athlete, but he has enough talent to maybe make a little noise down the line. He's certainly built like a pro back.

Omon - You know, I had read a lot about him, but I hadn't actually had a chance to see him play until you mentioned him here. I just searched for videos on YouTube and someone recently posted an Omon highlight reel (

). He looks decent to me. Pretty good quicks. Shifty. Not very explosive, but he does some things you don't usually see from 5th-7th round types. Looks like a guy who will get a shot to make a team and maybe surprise. I'll have to take a second look and read up on him. One thing to remember though, is that it's VERY hard to become a starting RB in the NFL. There are only 32 starting spots available and you're competing against the best RBs from the past 4-8 years. So while it's worthwhile to try to find these diamonds in the rough, it's also important to remember how freakish they need to be in order to make a sustained impact. You usually need to be one of the top 3-5 runners from your class.

Thanks for posting this...I respect your opinion as much as any in the Shark Pool. I'm going to have to disagree with you on Felix Jones, however. I don't think you give him the credit he deserves, and I would definitely choose him over any of the WR.

:lol:Enjoy your fantasy football team by drafting Ryan Moats 5th overall.
:thumbdown: :own3d: Great list, EBF. Nicely done as usual.

You seem to be out of the Funk. :D

Great job as always.

Agree on Kelly, when did Kelly become your #1 WR?

Agree with Sweed, when did you move Sweed down?

Missed on Stewart, but it's only time. My guess 6 weeks from now Stewart will not be in your top 5.

Again Great Job.

Great stuff!!

Slaton has been in a free fall, any chance he moves into top 15-20 range if he is taken in the 3rd-4th RD and lands in a favorable situation?

Say Sand Diego or Denver?

Ditto. Great post and thanks for sharing...

It's rare that you have a player who's a perfect mirror image of a current NFL player. So typically what you do is you throw out a couple names of comparable players to give the readers an overall picture of what to expect from a given prospect. You could say Frank Gore and Ryan Moats represent the range of Ray Rice's potential in the NFL.

I think most people understand the comparisons and find them helpful. I'm sorry if you don't.
:lmao: Enjoy your fantasy football team by drafting Ryan Moats 5th overall.
:lmao: never have I heard EBF say he'd take a Moats anywhere near 1.5---I've drafted w/the young man, as I have w/over 150 FBG's in what will be 15-14 team dynasty leagues alittle later this spring...

no one...and I mean NO ONE, refrains from chasing plunging value the way EBF stands down to positional runs

if he views a RB as a late 3rd/early 4th talent and there are next to none left on the board @ his spot late in the 2nd, he sticks to his board, almost to a fault, and drafts accordingly

I've been guilty, as many of us have, at leaping after a guy cuz the tier is about empty---not the Funk-meister

so, enough :wub:

nice job, EBF...as a fellow league mate, I appreciate the amount of work you've obviously done in putting this ranking together

:awaitsJP's-top24:

:lmao:

:lmao:Enjoy your fantasy football team by drafting Ryan Moats 5th overall.
Don't get this? Now I understand why others come on here and give me a hard time.Or anyone else doing rankings.Why because it comes from the top.EBF may be wrong in saying a player is like player 'X'.Can we get over it. Stewart is more like Dayne than Fred Taylor or Ricky Williams.But we get the point, thats what EBF thinks and its why EBF has Stewart so high. Moats at 1.05, I'm sure there was leagues were that happen.Case in point how many picked Drew at 1.05 or even in the first round His rookie year?Again EBF Great job.

Users who are viewing this thread