What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DJ Hackett a Carolina Panther (1 Viewer)

southeastjerome

Footballguy
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=2642

Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports the Panthers and WR D.J. Hackett have reached agreement on a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

While Hackett has dealt with injuries, he's been highly productive when healthy and is only 26. In Carolina, he becomes the top candidate to start opposite Steve Smith with Muhsin Muhammad likely working from the slot. Dwayne Jarrett will compete with Ryne Robinson to be the fourth receiver. Hackett has vertical and red-zone ability and should draw some attention away from Smith. His addition is good news for all Panthers skill players besides Jarrett. Expect solid WR3/4 numbers if Hackett starts.

Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports the Panthers and WR D.J. Hackett have reached agreement on a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

While Hackett has dealt with injuries, he's been highly productive when healthy and is only 26. In Carolina, he becomes the top candidate to start opposite Steve Smith with Muhsin Muhammad likely working from the slot. Dwayne Jarrett will compete with Ryne Robinson to be the fourth receiver. Hackett has vertical and red-zone ability and should draw some attention away from Smith. His addition is good news for all Panthers skill players besides Jarrett. Expect solid WR3/4 numbers if Hackett starts.
That's chump change. Seattle couldn't afford that?

with delhomme expected to be back healthy, foster released & deangelo williams in line to get more carries, (if he can stay healthy) hacket providing the most talented complement to steve smith in several years, the panthers offense could be much more explosive this season...

hackett did take a steep discount for the injuries... it looks like SEA, WAS & TB weren't about to cough up much money, either... it is a bit surprising he didn't sign one year offer with SEA, & hit market again in '09 (if he thought he could remain healthy)... with this contract, he does get a little more security (depending on how much is guaranteed), & he will still be pretty young when he comes up for next contract...

QB: Jake Delhomme

RB: DeAngelo Williams (backup TBD)

WR: Steve Smith, DJ Hackett, Muhsin Muhammad / Dwayne Jarrett / Ryne Robinson

TE: Jeff King

This looks pretty good.....

I'm really happy with this signing. I hope he pans out, but at that price, he is certainly worth the risk, and it's also one less thing the Panthers have to address in the draft.

I'm really happy with this signing. I hope he pans out, but at that price, he is certainly worth the risk, and it's also one less thing the Panthers have to address in the draft.
I would be happy with that too. I am definately jealous that the Redskins didn't get him at that rate. I mean, the guy does have injury concerns, but that seems like a fairly low risk deal considering there is a solid upside. Compare that to what Javon Walker got. I know Walker is more accomplished, but will anyone be surprised if Hackett outproduces Walker over the next 2 seasons?

With this signing, is it time for those who took Jarrett in rookie drafts last year to dump him? Looks like a pretty deep hole he's in now, even to be a #2. This is the guy who said "I'm no Mike Williams." It sure looks like he'll end up about like Williams, useless to fantasy owners. :goodposting:

Now why wouldn't the Buffalo Bills at least bring him in for a look?

He would be a huge upgrade at our #2 spot and with the contract he signed we would still be in a great spot to draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd. Let Hackett play the #2 untill our rookie got familiar with the NFL. And if the rookie happens to be that good, so what? It's not like Hackett's breaking the bank. He would be a great #3.

My exact thought as well. Since this is Holmgren's swan song they could have just signed him to a one year deal which would have been much more favorable to Hackett. The real shock to me wasn't the $, it was the fact it was a two year deal at such a low $.

QB: Jake DelhommeRB: DeAngelo Williams (backup TBD)WR: Steve Smith, DJ Hackett, Muhsin Muhammad / Dwayne Jarrett / Ryne RobinsonTE: Jeff KingThis looks pretty good.....
Really? Looks average at best to me. Smith is elite; Williams is unproven and Delhomme/King and the other recievers are nothing special.QB: Tony RomoRB: Marion BarberWR: Terrell Owens, Patrick CraytonTE: Jason WittenThat looks pretty good...

QB: Jake DelhommeRB: DeAngelo Williams (backup TBD)WR: Steve Smith, DJ Hackett, Muhsin Muhammad / Dwayne Jarrett / Ryne RobinsonTE: Jeff KingThis looks pretty good.....
Really? Looks average at best to me. Smith is elite; Williams is unproven and Delhomme/King and the other recievers are nothing special.QB: Tony RomoRB: Marion BarberWR: Terrell Owens, Patrick CraytonTE: Jason WittenThat looks pretty good...
:popcorn: An upgrade for sure, but pretty good is a little optimistic.

Those who aren't high on Delhomme aren't paying attention. The line was brutal in 06 with injuries, disrupted the entire offense. With a little cohesion early last year he was top 5 for the first few games until a freak injury. I see him as a solid bet for a top 10 finish in 08.

No it doesn't, lineups like this don't win SBs. I see allot of average players and one so called stud who is living off his 2005 season.

I have imagine that Delhomme will be going in the 8th or later in most FF drafts. I would think he would be an excellent candidate for QBBC.

Those who aren't high on Delhomme aren't paying attention. The line was brutal in 06 with injuries, disrupted the entire offense. With a little cohesion early last year he was top 5 for the first few games until a freak injury. I see him as a solid bet for a top 10 finish in 08.
I like Delhomme. but what he did the first three games of last season don't really represent the kind of QB he is. In the other 61 games he has played since taking over as the starter, he's never posted a QB rating above 90 and barely hits on 60% of his attempts.I think a QB rating of around 85 and a completion % of 60 is what to expect this season; not the 111 rating and 64% completion percentage he posted in the first three games of 07.

No it doesn't, lineups like this don't win SBs. I see allot of average players and one so called stud who is living off his 2005 season.
People said the same thing about the Panthers lineup that went to the Super Bowl.

People said the same thing about the Panthers lineup that went to the Super Bowl.
And the Giants lineup that just won one.

great signing for the Panthers! This team is going to have a very good offense as long as Jake returns healthy. The line should be healthier, you know Steve Smith, one of the most competitive guys in the league, will be extra motivated after last year, and D-Will should be very motivated his first year as a starter. I also think Jeff King could be a nice sleeper, one of those #2TEs you can get VERY late, that could end up surprising. Now all the Panthers need to do is get Peppers to remember he's one of the most talented players in the league. He seemed to lose all interest last year...

Every team has a good lineup on paper in March.
Might want to check all of the teams on that one.....

he's never posted a QB rating above 90
In seven postseason games, has completed 113-of-192 passes for 1,642 yards and 11 touchdowns with five interceptions for a 95.0 passer rating...Owns 5-2 postseason record...(Passer rating of 95.0 ranks third in NFL history behind Joe Montana's (104.8) and Bart Starr's (95.6)...Generated passer rating of 100 or better in five of seven postseason starts... First quarterback in Panthers history to direct team to playoffs in two seasons...First quarterback in NFL history to guide team to four consecutive postseason road victories...Four postseason road wins tie Roger Staubach (4-1) and Len Dawson (4-1) for most in NFL history...One of four quarterbacks in NFL history to throw a touchdown pass in first seven postseason contests, joining Dan Marino (13 consecutive games), Bernie Kosar (eight) and Kurt Warner (seven)...Completed 45 postseason passes for 739 yards and six touchdowns to wide receiver Steve Smith.Ended 2003 postseason with a passer rating of 106.1, the highest for a quarterback making his first postseason appearance (minimum three postseason starts) since 1985 when New England's Tony Eason recorded a rating of 119.0 and Chicago's Jim McMahon notched a rating of 106.6. Super Bowl XXXVIII passer rating of 113.6 was the highest for a quarterback starting his first Super Bowl since San Francisco's Steve Young posted a passer rating of 134.8 in 1995 in Super Bowl XXIX. Young's performance also marked the last time a quarterback has had a quarterback rating higher than Jake's in any Super Bowl.

I think it looks average at best.A few question marks, imo.DelHomme - healthDeAngelo - unprovenDJ Hackett - healthMuhammad - oldJarrett - bust

Last edited by a moderator:
What a ridiculous price. I'm really surprised that WAS offered him so little when Zorn knows him so well. Hackett must be mad at the Seahawks for burying him on the depth chart after he'd had solid performances in his time on the field. Maybe the Branch signing after they brought Burleson already made him a little bitter towards the Hawks. It just seems like such a pathetic amount for the Seahawks to not pay for him when they have a massive gap in experience with all their current WR2s until Branch gets back. Looks like it'll be Nate and Bobby starting with Bobby moving to slot in 3WR sets, with Obomanu as "4", unless either of the two WR projects beat him out.

And there's no way in hell DJax comes back. Period. He left because the new management wouldn't give him a raise that the previous FO had promised him. He burned a lot of bridges leaving and it would be an insufferable insult to his pride to come back for la lot less money than when he left.

What a ridiculous price. I'm really surprised that WAS offered him so little when Zorn knows him so well.
This could a pretty big red flag to me though. Maybe it was Snyder closing the checkbook, but it could certainly have been Zorn making the call, right?Is it possible that the mad SP love for this guy just isn't justified?? I mean... catch percentage can only take you so far, right?

Nobody wanted this guy. Word is Washington offered him the minimum and Tampa only slightly more than that.

Should be a pretty good heads-up, imo.

I was excited at first about this signing, if we can get 11 games or more out of Hackett. On the other hand, I wonder if Seattle has a 6th sense about knowing when to let their WRs go. Look no further than Djax. So, I really don't know how to feel about this signing.

Nobody wanted this guy. Word is Washington offered him the minimum and Tampa only slightly more than that.Should be a pretty good heads-up, imo.
For a 2 year 3.5 million contract, I'm happy Carolina decided to a chance on him and he accepted. There are risk on all signings in football.

What a ridiculous price. I'm really surprised that WAS offered him so little when Zorn knows him so well.
This could a pretty big red flag to me though. Maybe it was Snyder closing the checkbook, but it could certainly have been Zorn making the call, right?Is it possible that the mad SP love for this guy just isn't justified?? I mean... catch percentage can only take you so far, right?
Despite all the ff hype hackett gets he's only had five games of 70 yards or more in three seasons. The amount of money carolina paid is far from ridiculous nor should the low amount scare you off the guy. IMO it just means alot of ff owners need to be more realistic about when to draft him

That's what I'm starting to think. And I'm one of the first offenders. I thought he looked great his rookie year in preseason and was waiting for him to get his chance every year. But he kept getting buried on the depth chart and now... I guess at this point I am hoping that I was wrong and he isn't worth keeping. No offense to DJH.I don't know the Redskins well but it doesn't seem like the difference in vet minimum and 1.75 mil would be something Snyder would tighten purse strings on, especially if Zorn said he was worth it.

With this signing, is it time for those who took Jarrett in rookie drafts last year to dump him? Looks like a pretty deep hole he's in now, even to be a #2. This is the guy who said "I'm no Mike Williams." It sure looks like he'll end up about like Williams, useless to fantasy owners. :shrug:
It certainly does look bad for him. Not sure you'd get much for him but his value won't be any higher for awhile.

he's never posted a QB rating above 90
In seven postseason games, has completed 113-of-192 passes for 1,642 yards and 11 touchdowns with five interceptions for a 95.0 passer rating...Owns 5-2 postseason record...(Passer rating of 95.0 ranks third in NFL history behind Joe Montana's (104.8) and Bart Starr's (95.6)...Generated passer rating of 100 or better in five of seven postseason starts... First quarterback in Panthers history to direct team to playoffs in two seasons...First quarterback in NFL history to guide team to four consecutive postseason road victories...Four postseason road wins tie Roger Staubach (4-1) and Len Dawson (4-1) for most in NFL history...One of four quarterbacks in NFL history to throw a touchdown pass in first seven postseason contests, joining Dan Marino (13 consecutive games), Bernie Kosar (eight) and Kurt Warner (seven)...Completed 45 postseason passes for 739 yards and six touchdowns to wide receiver Steve Smith.Ended 2003 postseason with a passer rating of 106.1, the highest for a quarterback making his first postseason appearance (minimum three postseason starts) since 1985 when New England's Tony Eason recorded a rating of 119.0 and Chicago's Jim McMahon notched a rating of 106.6. Super Bowl XXXVIII passer rating of 113.6 was the highest for a quarterback starting his first Super Bowl since San Francisco's Steve Young posted a passer rating of 134.8 in 1995 in Super Bowl XXIX. Young's performance also marked the last time a quarterback has had a quarterback rating higher than Jake's in any Super Bowl.
:( Now be quiet so we can get him on the cheap in August.

Speaking of chump change, is this true?
49ers | Team signs B. Johnson

Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:26:06 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers signed free-agent WR Bryant Johnson (Cardinals) to a one-year deal worth $2 million Monday, March 1
I swear that the Buffalo thread stated that B johnson was seeking 6-8 M guanteed. :thumbdown:

If you take into account the amount of time DJ spends in the training room each season that is a fairly fat contract.

i've said it before and i'll say it again... i really don't understand why people are so high on D.J Hackett.. he has shown nothing to me to prove that he's an elite talent at his position. Im going to have a great time laughing when he goes for 60 receptions and 600 yards with 4 TD's next season. Not saying thats bad in the NFL by any means but thats all i see him as... anybody projecting him over that... overestimate in my opinion.

I don't think some of the people in this thread are aware of how poor the Carolina offense was last season.

They were 26th in total points and 29th in total yards.

They were 29th in passing yards with 2941... but consider that Delhomme had 608 yards in his 2 healthy games last season, and the team had only 2333 passing yards in the other 14 games - 167 passing yards per game. Delhomme has 15597 passing yards in 71 games for Carolina - 220 yards per game, which scales to 3515 per 16 games.

They were 17th in passing TDs, with 19... but consider that Delhomme threw 8 of those in the first 3 games before he was hurt. They had only 11 in the remaining 13 games - 0.85 passing TDs per game. Delhomme has 108 TD passes in 71 games for Carolina - 1.5 per game, which scales to 24 per 16 games.

They were 17th in interceptions thrown, with 17... but consider that Delhomme threw only 1 in the first 3 games before he was hurt. They had 16 in the remaining 13 games - 1.23 interceptions thrown per game. Delhomme has 64 interceptions in 71 games for Carolina - 0.9 per game, which scales to 14 per 16 games.

So if Delhomme comes back healthy, the offense gets a huge upgrade.

Now consider the top 3 WRs during Delhomme's time in Carolina:

2007 - #1 - Steve Smith; #2 - Drew Carter; #3 - Keary Colbert

2006 - #1 - Steve Smith; #2 - 34 year old Keyshawn Johnson in his last season; #3 - Drew Carter

2005 - #1 - Steve Smith; #2 - 37 year old Ricky Proehl; #3 - Keary Colbert

2004 - #1 - Muhsin Muhammad (Steve Smith hurt in game 1); #2 - Keary Colbert; #3 - 36 year old Ricky Proehl

2003 - #1 - Steve Smith; #2 - Muhsin Muhammad; #3 - 35 year old Ricky Proehl

Frankly, I don't think they have had a good set of 3 WRs since Delhomme's first year... and in fact they didn't even have 2 good WRs in the other 4 seasons. And the top TE in the first 4 of those seasons was Kris Mangum, when Delhomme was healthy... so no real help there.

Now... we can obviously differ on how good Hackett is, but IMO Hackett at #2 and Muhammad, even at age 35, paired with Smith, gives Delhomme the best set of WRs he has ever had. And King is an upgrade over Mangum, too.

I agree Williams is unproven, but I think he has shown good potential. As long as he is serviceable, the offense should be much better; and the improved passing offense should help him. If Delhomme comes back healthy, I think there is some fantasy value in this offense.

QB - Orton / GrossmanRB - Benson / Wolfe / Peterson

WR - Bradley / Hester / Booker / Lloyd

TE - Olsen / Clark

SUPER BEARS / SUPER BOWL, BABY!!!!!!!

QB - Orton / GrossmanRB - Benson / Wolfe / Peterson

WR - Bradley / Hester / Booker / Lloyd

TE - Olsen / Clark

SUPER BEARS / SUPER BOWL, BABY!!!!!!!
Records might be broken with that offensive showcase. Just maybe not the records they intend to break.......

Frankly, I don't think they have had a good set of 3 WRs since Delhomme's first year... and in fact they didn't even have 2 good WRs in the other 4 seasons. And the top TE in the first 4 of those seasons was Kris Mangum, when Delhomme was healthy... so no real help there.Now... we can obviously differ on how good Hackett is, but IMO Hackett at #2 and Muhammad, even at age 35, paired with Smith, gives Delhomme the best set of WRs he has ever had. And King is an upgrade over Mangum, too.I agree Williams is unproven, but I think he has shown good potential. As long as he is serviceable, the offense should be much better; and the improved passing offense should help him. If Delhomme comes back healthy, I think there is some fantasy value in this offense.
WR : I'm not so sure if Hackett can be penciled in as a legit #2 WR or how much of an upgrade over Carter/Colbert last season. If he's such an upgrade over Drew Carter... why did Drew Carter get roughly the same FA $? TE's : Changing from bad to bad isn't progress. Just ask KC fans that swore they had upgraded their OL in '07 because they weren't starting the same group that started in '06.QB : Jake should be back but he's 33 and so far his career looks like a bell curve that peaked in '05. RB : Worse than last season even to those that weren't a fan of Foster.Good signing by CAR but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade they've made on offense. From a fantasy perspective I'm not even sure if Hackett produces as much for CAR that Carter does for OAK this season.

BoltBacker said:
WR : I'm not so sure if Hackett can be penciled in as a legit #2 WR or how much of an upgrade over Carter/Colbert last season. If he's such an upgrade over Drew Carter... why did Drew Carter get roughly the same FA $?
You would have to ask the owner of the Raiders why he paid the price he did for Carter, but then again he has overpaid many times on FA's.

BoltBacker said:
WR : I'm not so sure if Hackett can be penciled in as a legit #2 WR or how much of an upgrade over Carter/Colbert last season. If he's such an upgrade over Drew Carter... why did Drew Carter get roughly the same FA $?
You would have to ask the owner of the Raiders why he paid the price he did for Carter, but then again he has overpaid many times on FA's.
:lmao:And the answer to why he overpaid Carter is easy - he has great speed. Al Davis has always collected fast WRs and loves the deep ball.

Carter was overpaid? I thought Carter was a great signing by the raiders, and I'm not in the habit of giving al davis credit for much. He has a realistic shot at being OAK's leading receiver next season imo. I expected more from Curry in '07 and have no idea what Javon's knee situation is. Carter is a great FF "buy low" candidate in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread