What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (1 Viewer)

ImTheScientist

Footballguy
Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, the nation's No. 1 high school football player, has finally made his college choice.When Signing Day arrived in February, the 6-foot-5, 235-pounder from Jeannette, Pa., wasn't ready to make his decision. Terrelle Pryor finally ended the suspense and announced for Ohio State Wednesday at his high school.As time progressed, he knew he was headed to the Big Ten. However, he had yet to decide between Ohio State and Michigan. After much research and discussion, Pryor announced on Wednesday he's going to be a Buckeye."It was just the right fit," Pryor told Rivals.com late Tuesday night. "The coaches, the comfort level, the players and the signing class they had. I am very comfortable with all of it, and I became friendly with the other recruits throughout the process."But in the end it came down to what was right for me. And after a lot of thinking, talking and consideration, it came down to Ohio State."Pryor was concerned about early playing time at Ohio State because the Buckeyes boast all-conference quarterback Todd Boeckman, but the overall fit in Columbus just felt better."I can't see myself sitting and not playing, that's the tough part," Pryor said. "I certainly don't want to redshirt. But being brought along a little slowly might be the best thing for me in the long run, and I have to look at that. I'm not sure if being thrown to the wolves and starting from Day One would be best for me. I know college is a big step up and there's a lot to learn."There has been talk of Pryor being utilized like Tim Tebow was during his freshman year at Florida.This has been very tough. I didn't really like the attention, and it got worse after I didn't decide. But I had to do what was right for me and my family. I'm excited about the decision.- Terrelle Pryor"If that happens, then that's what happens," he said. "I'm going in to compete as hard as I can and we'll see where I fit in. I trust the coaches to use me the best way they can."Michigan's zone-read offense under Rich Rodriguez was very tempting to Pryor, especially since Rodriguez has had so much success with it at West Virginia. Without Pryor, it doesn't appear the Wolverines have the type of quarterback necessary to run Rodriguez's scheme effectively."Michigan is a great school and it was a tough decision," Pryor said. "I like the coaches there. I've known them since they were at West Virginia. I seriously considered them right up until the end, but Ohio State was where I felt it."Ohio State hasn't typically run a zone-read offense, which was a concern for Pryor. However, after further research, he feels he'll be a better quarterback in the end because of it."Troy Smith ran some zone-read stuff early in his career, and then he developed into a pocket passer and did a lot of stuff out of the shotgun," Pryor said. "He became a better quarterback - not just an athlete - by the time he was done. I feel I can do the same. Both schools said they would utilize my athletic ability in the offense, but I think I can be more well-rounded at Ohio State."Pryor is happy to be done with the decision."This has been very tough," he said. "I didn't really like the attention, and it got worse after I didn't decide. But I had to do what was right for me and my family. I'm excited about the decision."

He really seemed to drag this thing out. I almost feel like he just did it for the attention. I don't really know what to think about this guy. Seems to be WAYYYYY to much hype for a H.S. player.

Rodriguez offense in Michigan seemed like the better fit football wise. :confused:
I'm a Michigan fan and of course I agree. I think this guy made a mistake and in another article, he basically felt that he got along better with some of the Ohio St. guys at some kind of get together.That happens so much in college, where they choose to go is decided upon the guys or gals they meet in a given weekend.He likes the coaches at Michigan, the scheme would fit this guy perfectly and he doesn't want to sit (which he wouldn't at Michigan and would sit 1 year at Ohio St.) for a year but chooses Ohio St. I can't wish the kid lots of success because that would mean beating Michigan. I don't wish harm on people so I guess my option is just that he's a lot of hype in high school and doesn't work out at the next level. He could always blame Ohio St., for that I can't blame him.

Rodriguez' offense doesnt necessarily bode well for the next level either. I think he realizes long term that going to OSU will give him the best opportunity in the league.

Rodriguez' offense doesnt necessarily bode well for the next level either. I think he realizes long term that going to OSU will give him the best opportunity in the league.
I think my greatest fear as a Michigan fan is coming to fruitition.One thing I loved about Michigan is that it prepared every position for the next level ... now that's a big ??? ..especially at QB.Also , I loved the fact that Michigan would always have a great WR .. there is a long history of the #1 Jersey in Ann Arbor ...now i can't see that tradition continue.With Rich Rod putting all his eggs into landing Pryor , it was doomed from the beginning./hijack

I love this for so many reasons.

But top two are that I'm a huge Buckeye fan and I think this guy can be a stud.

And secondly, this kid would have really helped Michigan turn it's program around to one of the best. Now I can see Michigan needing at least 2-3 more years just to get where it should be.

Rodriguez offense in Michigan seemed like the better fit football wise. :confused:
But: Ohio State > Michigan
Which makes me think he does not think he is good enough to make Michigan > Ohio State.
One of the few things I agree with you about.If he's as great as everyone says......he goes where he wants and makes the team great. He comes to where he wants.....any other people follow because they want to play with him.Seems like a sheep and not a wolf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodriguez offense in Michigan seemed like the better fit football wise. :potkettle:
Not at producing NFL quarterbacks.
This is definately true but your point is also Rodriguez's offense is perfect for this guy......this is his first year and he'll admit that the offense he brings will be completely different than what Michigan has done in the past.So really, the development of NFL QB's going thru Michigan in the past really have no relevance to what Rodriguez's future offense will be able to produce. I hope they continue that success, but at this point we can't connect Rodriguez's QB success to Michigan's.If anything, you should be able to look at West Virginia's QB success and get a better vantage point than Michigan's.

I was pretty sure Ohio St. ran a similar offense with Troy Smith. They didn't chase after this kid to make him a pocket passer.

I think my greatest fear as a Michigan fan is coming to fruitition.One thing I loved about Michigan is that it prepared every position for the next level ... now that's a big ??? ..especially at QB.Also , I loved the fact that Michigan would always have a great WR .. there is a long history of the #1 Jersey in Ann Arbor ...now i can't see that tradition continue.With Rich Rod putting all his eggs into landing Pryor , it was doomed from the beginning./hijack
RichRod hasn't coached 1 game yet and you're greatest fear is coming to fruition?The spread offense is not contingent on a running QB. There are many different ways it can be played.You obviously didn't pay much attention to the recruits Michigan got (and stole from others :unsure: ). They got a few of the better stud wr's in this class, all with one common theme.....SPEED.Whether all the eggs were in the Pryor basket remains to be seen.

And secondly, this kid would have really helped Michigan turn it's program around to one of the best. Now I can see Michigan needing at least 2-3 more years just to get where it should be.
I don't think you can "see" Michigan needing more time, I think it's your hope. Rodriguez scares you more than Carr ever did as a Buckeye fan.For a team that had so many questions about it once Carr said he was stepping down, to end up with the recruiting class Michigan did this year probably scares the crap out of the Sweater Vest.

RR and UM = :own3d:
Quit being a bitter WVU fan.
bitter? :lmao: Have you seen our recruiting class for this year and next?I have no ill will toward RR for leaving WVU. Its a business and more power too him. I will not wish him success though. I can say Im happy with how things have turned out.Logan Heastie anyone?
Looks good, man! I'm an OSU fan, but also follow WVU. My girlfriend got her undergrad there.

RR and UM = :lmao:
bitter? :shrug: Have you seen our recruiting class for this year and next?I have no ill will toward RR for leaving WVU. Its a business and more power too him. I will not wish him success though. I can say Im happy with how things have turned out.Logan Heastie anyone?
Coach Bill Stewart is over his head I'm afraid. The University hired based on emotions and that's not good business.

I don't think you can "see" Michigan needing more time, I think it's your hope. Rodriguez scares you more than Carr ever did as a Buckeye fan.For a team that had so many questions about it once Carr said he was stepping down, to end up with the recruiting class Michigan did this year probably scares the crap out of the Sweater Vest.
Yep, Im sure he is really worried.

RR and UM = ;)
bitter? :lmao: Have you seen our recruiting class for this year and next?I have no ill will toward RR for leaving WVU. Its a business and more power too him. I will not wish him success though. I can say Im happy with how things have turned out.Logan Heastie anyone?
Coach Bill Stewart is over his head I'm afraid. The University hired based on emotions and that's not good business.
This is good stuff. :lmao:

RR and UM = :mellow:
bitter? :unsure: Have you seen our recruiting class for this year and next?I have no ill will toward RR for leaving WVU. Its a business and more power too him. I will not wish him success though. I can say Im happy with how things have turned out.

Logan Heastie anyone?
This is good stuff. :thumbup:
Just mine and a few other's opinions.For example:

WVU booster and co-owner of the Arizona Diamondback Ken Kendrick, however, was unhappy with the hiring of Stewart. An outspoken supporter of Rodriguez, Kendrick called Stewart "overmatched" and said that he was "very concerned" for the future of WVU football.

Maybe not but we know what Carr could/couldn't do against Tressel.....Rodriguez has nowhere to go but up.

scrumptrulescent said:
JAA said:
scrumptrulescent said:
This is good stuff. :blackdot:
Just mine and a few other's opinions.For example:

WVU booster and co-owner of the Arizona Diamondback Ken Kendrick, however, was unhappy with the hiring of Stewart. An outspoken supporter of Rodriguez, Kendrick called Stewart "overmatched" and said that he was "very concerned" for the future of WVU football.
Gotta agree. WVU isn't going to win another BCS bowl game as long as Stewart is the head coach.Ohio State and Michigan will win each win one in the next few years.

trader jake said:
Sup_Yo said:
trader jake said:
Rodriguez offense in Michigan seemed like the better fit football wise. :thumbup:
Historically, yes. But comparing Rich Rod's offensive system to what's come before in Michigan is like saying Bill Callahan's Cornhusker offensive lineman are going to be NFL greats because they're from Nebraska.

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Phurfur said:
Sup_Yo said:
trader jake said:
Rodriguez offense in Michigan seemed like the better fit football wise. :shrug:
Which makes me think he does not think he is good enough to make Michigan > Ohio State.
One of the few things I agree with you about.If he's as great as everyone says......he goes where he wants and makes the team great. He comes to where he wants.....any other people follow because they want to play with him.Seems like a sheep and not a wolf.
That's a big reach. By all acounts Ohio State is where he wanted to go all along. Being a sheep would've been selecting a school because they have an offense that fits your skill set or selecting the school your father wants you to go. At the end of the day, it looks like this kid made his own decision.

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Phurfur said:
Sup_Yo said:
trader jake said:
Rodriguez offense in Michigan seemed like the better fit football wise. :lmao:
That's a big reach. By all acounts Ohio State is where he wanted to go all along. Being a sheep would've been selecting a school because they have an offense that fits your skill set or selecting the school your father wants you to go. At the end of the day, it looks like this kid made his own decision.
That's what I gathered from everything I'd read as well. Ohio State has always been his 1st choice. He entertained Penn St. for his father, and Michigan and Oregon for their systems, but Ohio State was his favorite. For someone who's said on a few occasions that he doesn't like the attention, he sure made some attention whoring moves in this process.

trader jake said:
Sup_Yo said:
trader jake said:
Rodriguez offense in Michigan seemed like the better fit football wise. :lmao:
Historically, yes. But comparing Rich Rod's offensive system to what's come before in Michigan is like saying Bill Callahan's Cornhusker offensive lineman are going to be NFL greats because they're from Nebraska.
Shaun King is better than any QB to come out of Ohio State since Jim Tressel took over in Columbus. I'm also betting that RR will be able to recruit much better quality prospects at the QB spot than he did while at...Tulane (or WVU for that matter). He's an offense mind that isn't just about the spreadRUN game. He's a bright enough coach to know that he'll win if he makes his system fit the personal and he did that at West Virginia. You won't see the same offense with Michigan's recruits that we saw at West Virginia with their talent.And yes, I did expect Callahan to produce decent NFL prospects along the offensive line while he was at Nebraska. That was part of his background - offensive line coach at various stops along the way. With the Raiders Lincoln Kennedy and Steve Wisniewski both made the Pro-Bowl while he was there.

My point being - the school does play in role in what type of players go there. Schools like Nebraska or Wisconsin won't have problems finding offensive lineman who they can mold into great players. It fits their recruiting base. RR won't have any problems molding QB's at Michigan who can succeed at the next level and he should have much more success doing so than Ohio State will. Terrelle Pryor would have been much better served by attending Michigan imo.

RR won't have any problems molding QB's at Michigan who can succeed at the next level and he should have much more success doing so than Ohio State will. Terrelle Pryor would have been much better served by attending Michigan imo.
And you're basing this one what again?

notdarkyet said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Mr. Peterson said:

:confused: Thanks.

notdarkyet said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Mr. Peterson said:

:goodposting: Thanks.
I think he was talking about the sweater vest, not you. And I was talking about how Carr was no threat to Tressel, but if Rich Rod's crazy recruiting in just 2 months is a sign of things to come, yes I believe it will make Tressel nervous.

RR won't have any problems molding QB's at Michigan who can succeed at the next level and he should have much more success doing so than Ohio State will. Terrelle Pryor would have been much better served by attending Michigan imo.
- Michigan's QB track record- RR's offensive gameplanning and ability to recruit

He almost pulled the top recruit in the entire country to change his mind and go away from "his team" and go to that team's rival. Pryor wore a Buckeye logo on his helmet during some all-star games yet RR had him questioning his initial decision. I'm guessing Michigan will have no problem getting their share of the top high school QB talent moving forward.

- Michigan's QB track record- RR's offensive gameplanning and ability to recruit

He almost pulled the top recruit in the entire country to change his mind and go away from "his team" and go to that team's rival. Pryor wore a Buckeye logo on his helmet during some all-star games yet RR had him questioning his initial decision. I'm guessing Michigan will have no problem getting their share of the top high school QB talent moving forward.
What QB has RR ever produced at the next level? Am I missing anyone? As far as Pryor, he walked into one of the senior bowl practices with a Michigan sweatshirt on, before he ever had a buckeye logo on his helmet. His teammates were the ones that put the logo on his helmet to begin with. You sound like a bitter scUM fan to me.

Mr. Peterson said:
I love this for so many reasons.But top two are that I'm a huge Buckeye fan and I think this guy can be a stud.And secondly, this kid would have really helped Michigan turn it's program around to one of the best. Now I can see Michigan needing at least 2-3 more years just to get where it should be.
2-3 years because they didn't get one player? :thumbdown: Maybe the best thing for all parties is that he went to OSU. Having to be the man and the expectations that would come with being the QB from day 1 at Michigan would be tough for any QB in the country given the circumstances, but maybe more so with Pryor who seems to have some growing up to do and is going to make a big transition from a small school to the big time. I think it sets the team back further this year, but if they go and get next years 5 star QB recruit they may actually be better for it because the surrounding cast will have a full year under their belts and can help the QB be better. This guy may be the next Tim Tebow, but you saw what happened to TT against Michigan and it showed that you better force a team to respect the pass or it can be a long day. That being said it's Tressel 1 - RR 0.

Number of Heisman winners at the QB position Tressel has turned out: 1

Number of Heisman winners at the QB position Rodriguez has turned out: 0

notdarkyet said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Mr. Peterson said:

:confused: Thanks.
I think he was talking about the sweater vest, not you. And I was talking about how Carr was no threat to Tressel, but if Rich Rod's crazy recruiting in just 2 months is a sign of things to come, yes I believe it will make Tressel nervous.
I think he was talking about this line,
Rodriguez scares you more than Carr ever did as a Buckeye fan
.And he was right, I'm not that worried at all.

You sound like a bitter scUM fan to me.
I love when people post this type of stuff...based on the 'scum' reference I'll guess that you are the FBG who has a horse in this battle. I'm a Wisconsin fan, I'm hoping this guy would be a flop no matter what school he choose. :thumbup: I just believe that Michigan will produce better NFL prospects moving forward than Ohio State will. Terrelle's assessment that Ohio State gives him a better chance at a successful NFL career is incorrect imo. I guess we'll just wait and see.

You sound like a bitter scUM fan to me.
I love when people post this type of stuff...based on the 'scum' reference I'll guess that you are the FBG who has a horse in this battle. I'm a Wisconsin fan, I'm hoping this guy would be a flop no matter what school he choose. :thumbup: I just believe that Michigan will produce better NFL prospects moving forward than Ohio State will. Terrelle's assessment that Ohio State gives him a better chance at a successful NFL career is incorrect imo. I guess we'll just wait and see.
Just sounded like you were bitter that Pryor chose the Bucks over the Wolverines. I'm sure your tune would be different if Pryor went to the Badgers, no? So what makes you believe that Michigan will produce better pros at the next level, especially at QB? I'm unaware of any NFL team running the spread option, I may be wrong though. OSU's has much more of a proto type offense than RR does for the NFL. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Michigan was off the radar until RR came there..then the process was extended because of RR. This may be a blessing is disguise. If you have ever seen Pryor throw the ball, he need a lot of work.

You have to wonder about a prima donna high school kid that already has an entourage and is soliciting the opinion of NFL scounts before he has even set foot on a college football field. This is not the NBA and for every blue chipper that made it at QB there are 5 huge crash and burn stories. There seem to be a lot of red flags about this kid. At the end of the day he will not be worth the trouble of either school. The end of an ugly and very public recruiting war usually signals the NCAA to start sniffing around. OSU does not want that again.

Users who are viewing this thread