What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll: Kevin Kolb - Probability he is the starter in 2009 (1 Viewer)

% chance

• 5%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10%

• 20%

• 30%

• 40%

• 50%

• 60%

• 70%

• 80%

• 90%

• 100%

• Total voters

Englishteacher

Footballguy
McNabb is in a contract year I believe. The organization will face a decision regarding its starting QB. Kevin Kolb was the team's 2nd round draft pick. What do you guys think is the likelihood Kolb is the unquestioned starter in 2009?

Voted 5%.....0% option down.

After the Eagles win the Super Bowl in Feb of '09 there will be 0% chance Kolb starts the '09 season.

McNabb won't be a FA until 2010, but there is a chance that the Eagles would look to trade him after the season (for a king's ransom) if they felt Kolb was ready. It will be very difficult to extend McNabb's contract with Kolb there, but it all depends on McNabb's play next season and the success of the team.

McNabb won't be a FA until 2010, but there is a chance that the Eagles would look to trade him after the season (for a king's ransom) if they felt Kolb was ready. It will be very difficult to extend McNabb's contract with Kolb there, but it all depends on McNabb's play next season and the success of the team.
Thanks for correcting me on when McNabb will be a FA.

McNabb will only be a FA if the Eagles opt to not exercise their option.He's currently signed as:2008: $6.3M2009: $9.2M (club option)2010: $10M 2011: $12.07M2012: $14.14M2013: $16.21M2014: FATechnically every year is a "club option" year, since they can cut a player at any time. The difference here is that there is no penalty to cutting him before 2009 since his signing bonus was prorated until 2008. So the Eagles can keep McNabb until 2013 and there's no dead $$ against the cap for 2009 and beyond should they cut him.

McNabb will only be a FA if the Eagles opt to not exercise their option.He's currently signed as:2008: $6.3M2009: $9.2M (club option)2010: $10M 2011: $12.07M2012: $14.14M2013: $16.21M2014: FATechnically every year is a "club option" year, since they can cut a player at any time. The difference here is that there is no penalty to cutting him before 2009 since his signing bonus was prorated until 2008. So the Eagles can keep McNabb until 2013 and there's no dead $$ against the cap for 2009 and beyond should they cut him.
Where do you get all your contract info Jeff? (Chester Taylor is a guy who's contract I'm interested in.) Excellent info. Aside from that, what's your personal take on the future of the Philly QB position?

It looks like I'm in the minority but I think the chance that kolb takes over for mcnabb in 2009 are near 100%...I'd say more like 98%. Mcnabb will 33 that year, has problems staying healthy, isn't liked by the fans(and doesn't get the respect he deserves), and from the salary info jeff posted mcnabb would have to do a major restruce to his contract. Also an X factor is that when philly drafted kolb in the 2nd round "Jaws" told how they drafted a qb that early near the end of his career and told him not to worry about losing his starting job. Two years later they cut Jaws and that new guy became their starting qb. Now jaws wasn't a future HOF'er like mcnabb is but that tells you what philly's M.O. is

It looks like I'm in the minority but I think the chance that kolb takes over for mcnabb in 2009 are near 100%...I'd say more like 98%. Mcnabb will 33 that year, has problems staying healthy, isn't liked by the fans(and doesn't get the respect he deserves), and from the salary info jeff posted mcnabb would have to do a major restruce to his contract. Also an X factor is that when philly drafted kolb in the 2nd round "Jaws" told how they drafted a qb that early near the end of his career and told him not to worry about losing his starting job. Two years later they cut Jaws and that new guy became their starting qb. Now jaws wasn't a future HOF'er like mcnabb is but that tells you what philly's M.O. is
9 mill is a pretty big cap hit in 2009 for a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy at all. If Mcnabb is injured again in 2008 and Kolb shows promise then I think it makes the probability of Philly insisting on a restructuring or a trade (if he won't restructure) all the more imminent. QB is a vital position for the Eagles, morseo than most any club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you get all your contract info Jeff? (Chester Taylor is a guy who's contract I'm interested in.) Excellent info. Aside from that, what's your personal take on the future of the Philly QB position?
As an Eagles fan, I'll try and remain impartial.Personally I believe that 2008 is a make or break year for Philly. If they get to the SB, McNabb is back. If they are close, he is also likely back.If they aren't in the postseason, it will come down to if they believe Kolb is ready. That's hard to say.I don't think they have a ton of $$$ locked up on Kolb (rookie / vet base contracts, IIRC - all about $500-600K), so it will come down to if / when he's ready. Kind of an Aaron Rodgers kind of situation (2-3 yrs to learn the NFL QB role - old school kind of methods).I think it is about 10-20% Kolb next year, but much higher in 2010. That all depends on how he learns a very complicated offense.Bear in mind that Andy Reid is very tied to McNabb as they both came in to Philly at nearly the same time (AR's first pick in 99).They've been building that offense around him for 10 years.As for the cap $, $10M isn't too much for a franchise QB, is it? Especially in Philly where the QB is the key cog (and Westbrook).Philly is in a good position where they just take the best talent and decide there - not letting contracts decide.

Andy Reid and Mcnabb are clearly not as "tied" as they once were. McNabb whined about the organization and lost some support of the team in the TO mess. If he chokes again this year he's toast. If he doesn't he's probably trade bait. I'd say 90% for Kolb. When Reid drafted Brown and Sheppard, Vincent and Taylor were doing very well. Out they went...

This is all speculation but I've liked Kolb since he was in college and though Philly got a steal. I don't see the point of drafting the guy if he wasn't meant to be a successor. By 2009, I bet he has a few starts under his belt.

Jeff Pasquino said:
Englishteacher said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
Englishteacher said:
Jedimaster21 said:
As an Eagles fan, I'll try and remain impartial.Personally I believe that 2008 is a make or break year for Philly. If they get to the SB, McNabb is back. If they are close, he is also likely back.If they aren't in the postseason, it will come down to if they believe Kolb is ready. That's hard to say.I don't think they have a ton of $$$ locked up on Kolb (rookie / vet base contracts, IIRC - all about $500-600K), so it will come down to if / when he's ready. Kind of an Aaron Rodgers kind of situation (2-3 yrs to learn the NFL QB role - old school kind of methods).I think it is about 10-20% Kolb next year, but much higher in 2010. That all depends on how he learns a very complicated offense.Bear in mind that Andy Reid is very tied to McNabb as they both came in to Philly at nearly the same time (AR's first pick in 99).They've been building that offense around him for 10 years.As for the cap $, $10M isn't too much for a franchise QB, is it? Especially in Philly where the QB is the key cog (and Westbrook).Philly is in a good position where they just take the best talent and decide there - not letting contracts decide.
Good point on $10M not being so much for a franchise QB in Philly. Alternatively, $10M might be too much for a QB who plays 8 games in 2008 and has to rehab an injury going into 2009 (or 2010 for that matter).

Forced to bet, I would say Kolb won't see the field until 2010, at the earliest, barring significant injury to McNabb.

McNabb has had an injury label, but he hasn't dealt with the nagging, repitive types of injuries. The label may be wrong.

Forced to bet, I would say Kolb won't see the field until 2010, at the earliest, barring significant injury to McNabb.McNabb has had an injury label, but he hasn't dealt with the nagging, repitive types of injuries. The label may be wrong.
:lmao:

Forced to bet, I would say Kolb won't see the field until 2010, at the earliest, barring significant injury to McNabb.McNabb has had an injury label, but he hasn't dealt with the nagging, repitive types of injuries. The label may be wrong.
:rant:
:unsure: What difference does it make if the same injury forces him to miss time or if it's a bunch of different injuries that force him to miss time. Either way he's still missing time because of injury

:goodposting:
:confused: What difference does it make if the same injury forces him to miss time or if it's a bunch of different injuries that force him to miss time. Either way he's still missing time because of injury
Repetitive type injuries = likely to miss more time in futureWierd non-repetitive type injuries = poor indicator of future injuries or missed timebroken leg and sports hernias are NOT repetitive type injuries.ACL's aren't either, although sometimes guys rushing back too hard too soon have a tendency to cause other injuries (not a factor for McNabb in '08). The guy has missed significant time in 3 different seasons, but none for anything likely to resurface.He may or may not have another significant injury and miss time, but there is NOTHING in his past that would suggest he's any more likely to have that happen then almost any other QB.I'm just saying the "injury prone" label is grossly overused, and usually mis-used.

:goodposting:
:confused: What difference does it make if the same injury forces him to miss time or if it's a bunch of different injuries that force him to miss time. Either way he's still missing time because of injury
Repetitive type injuries = likely to miss more time in futureWierd non-repetitive type injuries = poor indicator of future injuries or missed timebroken leg and sports hernias are NOT repetitive type injuries.ACL's aren't either, although sometimes guys rushing back too hard too soon have a tendency to cause other injuries (not a factor for McNabb in '08). The guy has missed significant time in 3 different seasons, but none for anything likely to resurface.He may or may not have another significant injury and miss time, but there is NOTHING in his past that would suggest he's any more likely to have that happen then almost any other QB.I'm just saying the "injury prone" label is grossly overused, and usually mis-used.
You sound like a Priest Holmes owner

Repetitive type injuries = likely to miss more time in futureWeird non-repetitive type injuries = poor indicator of future injuries or missed timebroken leg and sports hernias are NOT repetitive type injuries.ACL's aren't either, although sometimes guys rushing back too hard too soon have a tendency to cause other injuries (not a factor for McNabb in '08). The guy has missed significant time in 3 different seasons, but none for anything likely to resurface.He may or may not have another significant injury and miss time, but there is NOTHING in his past that would suggest he's any more likely to have that happen then almost any other QB.I'm just saying the "injury prone" label is grossly overused, and usually mis-used.
McNabb is the Portis of QBs. Oh well, I hope he continues to carry that "injury-prone" title so I get him on the cheap year after year. Thanks guys!

I've got McNabb in one dynasty league, and Kolb in another, so I definitely have an eye on this situation.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is how likely it is that McNabb will miss at least one start with injury. If the last three years are any guide, he'll miss around five starts. In addition, McNabb's backups have tended for whatever reason to shine, and the team has often done as well or better than McNabb with them starting, at least in terms of W-L. Those backups, however, have been guys like Detmer, Feely and Garcia, people who would never be a threat to replace McNabb as the starter.

You have to wonder whether that kind of a window of opportunity for a guy like Kolb, drafted to ultimately replace McNabb, will be a springboard for Kolb to be the starter entering 2009, especially if Kolb is the one who late in the season gets some key wins for that team in a playoff run as has happened so many times before in Philly.

redman said:
I've got McNabb in one dynasty league, and Kolb in another, so I definitely have an eye on this situation. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is how likely it is that McNabb will miss at least one start with injury. If the last three years are any guide, he'll miss around five starts. In addition, McNabb's backups have tended for whatever reason to shine, and the team has often done as well or better than McNabb with them starting, at least in terms of W-L. Those backups, however, have been guys like Detmer, Feely and Garcia, people who would never be a threat to replace McNabb as the starter. You have to wonder whether that kind of a window of opportunity for a guy like Kolb, drafted to ultimately replace McNabb, will be a springboard for Kolb to be the starter entering 2009, especially if Kolb is the one who late in the season gets some key wins for that team in a playoff run as has happened so many times before in Philly.
But why has the done well when McNabb went down (which is false by the by....remember McMahon????) Whenever DMac has gone down, the team has radically changed it's offensive approach. In the super bowl year, Garcia played lights out (and earned himself another starting gig!) and the defense also played very very well.Which of McNabb's injuries is likely to repeat?As an Eagles fan, I feel great with Kolb as a backup. Unlike most Eagles fans lately, I still believe in McNabb to get it done. (Elway anyone?)

redman said:
I've got McNabb in one dynasty league, and Kolb in another, so I definitely have an eye on this situation. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is how likely it is that McNabb will miss at least one start with injury. If the last three years are any guide, he'll miss around five starts. In addition, McNabb's backups have tended for whatever reason to shine, and the team has often done as well or better than McNabb with them starting, at least in terms of W-L. Those backups, however, have been guys like Detmer, Feely and Garcia, people who would never be a threat to replace McNabb as the starter. You have to wonder whether that kind of a window of opportunity for a guy like Kolb, drafted to ultimately replace McNabb, will be a springboard for Kolb to be the starter entering 2009, especially if Kolb is the one who late in the season gets some key wins for that team in a playoff run as has happened so many times before in Philly.
But why has the done well when McNabb went down (which is false by the by....remember McMahon????) Whenever DMac has gone down, the team has radically changed it's offensive approach.
I don't dispute that the team changes its approach - it should when there's a big change in the skill sets from one QB to another - but I think such circumstances expose the ridiculous way in which Andy Reid continues, after almost a decade to insist upon jamming Donovan's square peg into the round hole that is his offensive scheme. Reid does his worst offensive coaching, by far, with McNabb in the lineup, and his best with backups. That's false? I don't think so.2002- McNabb goes down in week 12, and Feeley starts the next 5 games to finish the season, and goes 4-1 (and the week 17 loss was irrelevant as the Eagles had already tied up homefield advantage through the playoffs); 2005- McMahon takes over the team in week 10 when it was 4-4, but not only has the team lost McNabb, they'd also essentially lost TO due to that ridiculous suspension situation. They would later lose Westbrook for the season midway through the week 13 game. I agree that McMahon didn't outperform McNabb, but going 2-6 under the circumstances actually wasn't bad considering everything. 2006- Garcia takes over in week 11 and starts from week 12 - week 17. He goes 5-1, to help the team finish 10-6 and make the playoffs. In the span of five season two backup QB's have closed out the season with the team playing its best football with them, and in the other example a very mediocre player in McMahon did no worse than I'd have expected McNabb to under the circumstances. I think it speaks for itself.

FTRWRTR said:
Now jaws wasn't a future HOF'er like mcnabb is
Is McNabb really a future HOF'er? I'm not quite convinced.
He's not.
Got a 2025 sports almanac to share?Is he HOF bound right NOW? No.Could he make the HOF? Most certainly YES. He has pretty good career stats to this point, and conceiveably has 5-6 more good years left in him. Elway wasn't a certain HOFer either until later in his career, AFTER winning a bowl.

FTRWRTR said:
He's not.
Got a 2025 sports almanac to share?Is he HOF bound right NOW? No.Could he make the HOF? Most certainly YES. He has pretty good career stats to this point, and conceiveably has 5-6 more good years left in him. Elway wasn't a certain HOFer either until later in his career, AFTER winning a bowl.
Yikes, defensive much?McNabb TODAY is not going to the HOF - which would happen in the FUTURE.Can McNabb run off 5 years of Pro Bowl appearances, 2 MVPs and a Lombardi Trophy or two? Certainly - and I hope so - but my answer was based on his current resume.

FTRWRTR said:
He's not.
Yikes, defensive much?McNabb TODAY is not going to the HOF - which would happen in the FUTURE.Can McNabb run off 5 years of Pro Bowl appearances, 2 MVPs and a Lombardi Trophy or two? Certainly - and I hope so - but my answer was based on his current resume.
I agree. At this point in his career I don't think McNabb is really in the discussion for the HOF. He's a very good QB, but not HOF material at this point.

huh? :banned:

McNabb != HOF. not even close to being a candidate.

If i remeber right the NFLPA site post player's contracts somewhere.
Most of this info now requires membership to see the data. As for K Kolb being the starter in 2009, I voted 5%. Points to the issue: * McNabb's health and avoiding injury in 2008 * Philly performance in 2008 (post season play) * Learning Curve of KK in 2008 "garbage time" * Andy Reid remaining HC (due to his personal issues) * Blockbuster trade offer for McNabb (Minn, Oak, Mia or TB?? just speculation) I see 2008 as a positive year for Philly and McNabb, but 2009 to be his last. Age will have a big impact on him being a "tutor" QB backup (like Garcia or Warner).

Tanner9919 said:
huh? :eek:

Really? Not even close?Where does he rank for active winning percentage? How about all-time?

Where does he rank for ALL TIME TD/INT ratio?

How many championship game appearances? Pro Bowls?

I would not try to argue that he deserves in the HOF were he to retire today (he wouldn't), but to emphatically say he "isn't even close" would be just as wrong.

Had the Eagles won that super bowl a couple years ago, he'd PROBABLY be considered "likely in" at this point.

Tanner9919 said:
huh? :thumbup:

Really? Not even close?Where does he rank for active winning percentage? How about all-time?

Why don't you tell us?

Wow, this thread has gone in some unexpected directions.

1) McNabb is my boy, but he's not close to the Hall of Fame. He would need to win at least one and possibly need to appear in another to even make a legitimate case IMHO. He's the best QB the Eagles have had in my lifetime, but he's not among this generations true elite players.

2) Kolb needs two things to happen. One, McNabb can't stay healthy and get the Eagles deep into the playoffs. Two, Kolb must show enough over the next 12 months to not force the Eagles into adding another option as competition. If McNabb has a healthy, productive year, he's coming back. If the team struggles OR McNabb gets hurt again, I think he'll move on.

Tanner9919 said:
huh? :thumbup:

I would not try to argue that he deserves in the HOF were he to retire today (he wouldn't), but to emphatically say he "isn't even close" would be just as wrong.

Had the Eagles won that super bowl a couple years ago, he'd PROBABLY be considered "likely in" at this point.
He is not one of the few best QBs of his era. Favre, Manning, and Brady are all obviously better, and there is a big gap from them to McNabb IMO.Sure, he has made 5 Pro Bowls, but it is well known that Pro Bowls are a fairly poor measure of accomplishment. McNabb has never been All Pro, not even once... not even second team...

The only thing statistically I really see to his credit is that he is currenty #2 all time in interception percentage for his career. However, the rest of his statistics are pedestrian. That one item isn't much to hang your HOF credentials hat on... Neil O'Donnell is #1.

(And don't try to say TD/Int ratio is a second statistic, because it is good because of his interception percentage. McNabb's TD percentage is very low.)

For all these reasons, had the Eagles won that Super Bowl, I completely disagree he would be considered likely to be in. But that is irrelevant -- they didn't win.

If the question whether he is even close to HOF qualified at this point, the answer is clearly no.

If the question is whether it is possible for him to get there from here, the answer is clearly, yes, it is possible.

If the question is whether it is likely he will get there from here, IMO the answer is no.

1) McNabb is my boy, but he's not close to the Hall of Fame. He would need to win at least one and possibly need to appear in another to even make a legitimate case IMHO. He's the best QB the Eagles have had in my lifetime, but he's not among this generations true elite players.

2) Kolb needs two things to happen. One, McNabb can't stay healthy and get the Eagles deep into the playoffs. Two, Kolb must show enough over the next 12 months to not force the Eagles into adding another option as competition. If McNabb has a healthy, productive year, he's coming back. If the team struggles OR McNabb gets hurt again, I think he'll move on.
I'm curious as to whether you think McNabb will "come back" under his current contract, or whether they're renegotiate/extend him to accomplish that.

Just to add some fuel to the fire:

McNabb is only the 7th player in NFL history to pass for 20,000 yards and rush for 2,500...

As far as his future, it can run the gamut. He could be the stater here for the next 5 years+, or this could be his last. For this to be his last, IMHO, both he and the team must collapse (IE 4-12) or he must blow his knee out again. Only if they decide to go into full rebuild mode in 2009 will Kolb be the starter. I say 10%.

I'm curious as to whether you think McNabb will "come back" under his current contract, or whether they're renegotiate/extend him to accomplish that.
McNabb's 2009 cap number isn't bad, at all. He's due $9.2mm and there is no pro rata portion of his signing bonus to work against. The Eagle are only on the hook for another $10mm in 2010, and without the signing bonus issue they could just as easily cut him after 2009 as they could 2008. Wouldn't impact the financial viability of the decision.I would think that if McNabb has a strong season (meaning healthy + at least a playoff win or two), both sides will move quickly to give him a new 3- or 4-year deal.

McNabb's 2009 cap number isn't bad, at all. He's due $9.2mm and there is no pro rata portion of his signing bonus to work against. The Eagle are only on the hook for another $10mm in 2010, and without the signing bonus issue they could just as easily cut him after 2009 as they could 2008. Wouldn't impact the financial viability of the decision.I would think that if McNabb has a strong season (meaning healthy + at least a playoff win or two), both sides will move quickly to give him a new 3- or 4-year deal.
$9M+ seems like a pretty high cap number to me. :goodposting:

Wow, this thread has gone in some unexpected directions.1) McNabb is my boy, but he's not close to the Hall of Fame. He would need to win at least one and possibly need to appear in another to even make a legitimate case IMHO. He's the best QB the Eagles have had in my lifetime, but he's not among this generations true elite players.
Explain to me this line of thinking. Winning a SB is a team accomplishment so how does anyone use that to judge wether or not an individual player belongs in the HOF? By that reasoning Trent dilfer is more deserving of being in the HOF than Mcnabb

$9M+ seems like a pretty high cap number to me. :goodposting:
It would be in both side's interest to extend him, I agree. But $9mm is hardly egregious at the current cap level, either.

He's not.
Got a 2025 sports almanac to share?Is he HOF bound right NOW? No.

Could he make the HOF? Most certainly YES. He has pretty good career stats to this point, and conceiveably has 5-6 more good years left in him. Elway wasn't a certain HOFer either until later in his career, AFTER winning a bowl.
Sorry, I can't let this go.After 9 seasons (1983 - 1991), Elway had 4 pro-bowl seasons, two all-pro seasons, one MVP, and three SB appearances, all while playing for an extremely conservative coach who stressed the running game and a stout D. (in 1993, the first year post-Reeves but before the Shanahan era, Elway's #'s exploded as he led the league in attempts, completions, and yards, and was second in TD's. I cite these numbers as evidence of what could have happened with a less conservative coach).

McNabb, by comparison, has been a pro-bowler 5x, never all-pro, one SB appearance, all while playing for a coach known for running the west coast offense and one of the most lop-sided run-pass ratios in the NFL.

McNabb is no Elway.

What if McNabb doesn't miss multiple games to injury and the Eagles miss the playoffs? I ask this only because I don't think it's a stretch. It's tough to say the Eagles are better than the 3rd best team in their division at this point. While I do feel the NFC East is strong I don't know that it will produce 3 playoff teams again. So if McNabb posts good numbers but isn't able to elevate the Eagles past 9-7 what does his future hold? Methinks it means he's on another franchise in '09. Especially if the Eagles have already eaten his signing bonus. If that's the case wouldn't it be beneficial to trade him? They could get a good return and at the same time justify going with Kolb as in theory McNabb would've taken them as far as he could.

I voted 70%. And I'm rooting for it. As an Eagles hater I have a deep respect for McNabb's ability. Kolb doesn't scare me a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread