#1 BuddyKnuckles

BuddyKnuckles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined 06-September 07

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Last night she wouldnt even walk down the hallway, lay down in her bed, or bend down 3 inches to eat out of her raised food bowl (for a eng. bulldog, not eating is a big danger sign).

Nayway, took her to the vet today, xrays and blood work are fine, but she obviously has something wrong with her neck. Doc says it is likely a sprain or some sort of compression of the blah blah blah (he kinda lost me at that point :lmao: ). He said he would call tomorrow to see how she is doing. Got some nice pain pills for her and she is finally zonked out on my office floor.

anyone else's dog ever hurt their neck? how long did it take to go back to normal?

kills me to watch a good dog suffer like this
Everything Is Impermanent - Doctrine of Annicca

#2 wadegarrett

wadegarrett

FFA Legendô

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,579 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

weird...how old is she?

#3 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64,564 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:#beefsparade #tournamentofhotdogs

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

I hope she gets better.

E il mio non le dice niente?

I think i get along with most people but I hate petulants.

I'm MOP

Helping disabled veterans: Wounded Warrior Project

#4 Anonymous Internet User

Anonymous Internet User

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,518 posts
  • Joined 26-May 06

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

huh? so, you told the vet that something is wrong with her neck, and then he told you that something must be wrong with her neck, to take these pills, and call in the morning?

#5 prosopis

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,364 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

Did you try one of the pain pills?
Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

#6 BuddyKnuckles

BuddyKnuckles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined 06-September 07

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

WadeGarrett - She is 4 and hasnt really had any major health issues before. Just some normal bulldog stuff, but nothing too serious. She's not the most athletic thing, so she might have just tried to move too quick while playing or chasing her ball, we're not really sure...it is weird

Dr D - Thanks

Anonymous IU - No, i told him she wouldnt lay down, wouldnt walk, and was acting very strange. I thought maybe she ate something bad (onion, cleaning chemical, etc). He diagnosed her with a hurt neck. Guess its obvious now after ruling out anything else.

Prosopis - :no: i actually thought about that on the drive home. Cant do it though, cant take a pill away from a helpless animal.

ETA: dropping 4 bills on my dog isnt going to help my financial situation. But, funny how i never even thought about that til now.

Edited by BuddyKnuckles, 11 April 2008 - 04:27 PM.

#7 ELI2TYREE

ELI2TYREE

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

yes,
my beagle has had some episodes where going up and down stairs looks like it's a chore - diagnosed with compression of vertebrae in the neck, happens often in this breed, apparently. He takes anti inflammatory pain killer and its gone in a week. the problem is the kids bugging him, and him anticipating pain from them pawing at him.
I should also say my "pure bred" beagle has allergies, take phenobarbitol for occasional seizures, and just this past week seems to have either strained or more probably torn a ligament in his rear right knee. Surgery to repair a torn ligament runs around $2k. My wife won't let me put him down though. I love him too. Poor bastard.
"Doing the right thing has its own rewards."

#8 Shutterbug

Shutterbug

Try Not To Stare

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 11,051 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07
  • Interests:Living in the moment.

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

Awwww Sorry to hear about your dog. I just googled it and it looked like someone else had a dog that suffered from this. Said it took a few days to heal and the vet prescribed Rinadyl to the dog for pain.

I hope she gets better really soon. It is tough to watch them go through pain and not be able to help. Maybe try a heating pad to relieve some of the discomfort? Not sure how calm your dog is, but it is worth a shot... gl

Edited by Girl A+, 11 April 2008 - 05:34 PM.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~ Nietzsche

#9 BuddyKnuckles

BuddyKnuckles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined 06-September 07

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

yes,my beagle has had some episodes where going up and down stairs looks like it's a chore - diagnosed with compression of vertebrae in the neck, happens often in this breed, apparently. He takes anti inflammatory pain killer and its gone in a week. the problem is the kids bugging him, and him anticipating pain from them pawing at him.I should also say my "pure bred" beagle has allergies, take phenobarbitol for occasional seizures, and just this past week seems to have either strained or more probably torn a ligament in his rear right knee. Surgery to repair a torn ligament runs around $2k. My wife won't let me put him down though. I love him too. Poor bastard.

Thats what the Doc said, compressed vertebrae. he even gave the exact ones he thought might be affected. i spaced at that point. Man, this dog is already high maintenance. hope i dont have to add anti inflammatory pills to the mix.how old was your beagle when it first started happening?

Awwww Sorry to hear about your dog. I just googled it and it looked like someone else had a dog that suffered from this. Said it took a few days to heal and the vet prescribed Rinadyl to the dog for pain. I hope she gets better really soon. It is tough to watch them go through pain and not be able to help. Maybe try a heating pad to relieve some of the discomfort? Not sure how calm your dog is, but it is worth a shot... gl

Thanks, she seems to be doing better now that pill #2 is in full effect. Funny watching a stoned dog. She was staring at my TV watching me play TW 2008. I would move the Wii pointer and her head would follow it all around. had me :shrug:As for how calm she is, ever seen that Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm? The dog on the porch? Yeah, my dog is slightly more active that that...but not much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users