What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: LenDale White (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2008 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. Last year, we published more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters. This year will be no different.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: LenDale White, RB, Tennessee Titans

Player Page Link: LenDale White Player Page

Each article will include:

Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads
FBG Projections
Consensus Member ProjectionsThe Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

Focus commentary on the player in question, and your expectations for said player
Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
To be included in the final synopsis and consensus outlook, you MUST provide projections for the playerProjections should include (at a minimum):

For QBs: Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDsNow let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lendale probably had the quietest 300+ carry 1100+ yard season in NFL history. Considering the high # of touches, his stats are not very impressive. Tennessee however, does not have many other options, and will again rely heavily on Lendale. I think Vince will improve and the offense as a whole will improve thanks to the addition of Crumpler. This will result in a few more TD chances for White. White is someone who will outperform his ADP not because of his talent, but because of his opportunity. I am not high on him in dynasty settings as TN cannot see him as a long term solution for their offense, but, for this year, I see another decent season:

300 carries 1140 yards 3.8 average 9 TDs

5 catches 10 yards 2.0 average 0 TDs

It's not sexy, but a great pick at RB 27 and overall ADP of 55.

I don't have a good read on the tennessee situation. There were reports of Lendale's recovery from off-season surgery being behind schedule and I tend to look at this with more attention when the team is looking at bringing in veteran free agent RBs (ala Kevin Jones, etc). The addition of Chris Johnson is also a concern, since he has starting potential as well.

Assuming Tennessee does NOT sign a free agent RB, and assuming Lendale gets into training camp at 100%, then I predict another year like last year but with about 275 carries instead of 300+ carries. No matter what, Johnson will be relieving Lendale even when healthy and eating into carries.

275 carries, 1050 yards (3.81 ypc) ... 4 TDs

One of the few workhorse rbs left in the NFL albeit not too talented. That has to count for something. I think I'd draft him where he's going.
I disagree. I'm the opposite of a fan of the college program the guy came from, but White is a talented RB. His problems with production stem more from physical issues of his own creation (out of shape) than a lack of "talent."

GDogg said:
The Man with the Plan said:
One of the few workhorse rbs left in the NFL albeit not too talented. That has to count for something. I think I'd draft him where he's going.
I disagree. I'm the opposite of a fan of the college program the guy came from, but White is a talented RB. His problems with production stem more from physical issues of his own creation (out of shape) than a lack of "talent."
plus lack of offensive output from the rest of his team mates.

He's chubby, he's had his motivation questioned repeatedly, he's totally boring to own......but he's practically guaranteed 280+ touches and most/all of the GL work for a team that is coached by a guy who worships at the "run first, run second, pass third and let the defense win you games" altar.

However, I think there's enough other guys on the roster who will potentially steal touches(maybe not carries, perse, but touches) that expecting anything more than around 1,100 total yards is probably setting yourself up for a heartbreak.

275 carries, 990 yards, 8 TDs

15 catches 82 yards 1 TD

Puts him at around RB18/19 on my non-PPR list.

If Johnson/Henry/whoever all underperform, and White stays healthy, then I could see Fudgie getting another 35-40ish carries, and handful more catches and maybe a TD or two more. That could bump him up to around the RB13 area, I just don't see that happening. I think Johnson shows enough to warrant a his share of reps as the season progresses.

Not really much to like about him. If Tenn liked him a lot they wouldn't have drafted RB's in the 2nd and 1st round the past couple years. I see a big dose of the Chris brothers and Lendale in more of a fill in role come mid-season.

180 carries, 576 yards, 6 TDs

12 catches 60 yards 0 TD

I like him.

He's on a very run heavy offense, one of the top 5 rushing teams in the league a year ago. The titans have one of the best defenses in the league as well, so they'll be in games, and they plan to win them with running and defense. White will be the lead part of that rushing attack. If you watch him play, he has no regard for personal safety and is an absolute beast in short yardage, he goes helmet down head first every time on short yardage.

Last year he was out of shape...and got 1100 Yards.

Last year he had a hurt knee....and got 1100 Yards.

So, if this year he gets in better shape, has a healthy knee...?

Hopefully Vince Young takes a major step forward as well, and defenses have to semi-respect the passing game. But, if it doesn't happen, they didn't respect it last year either, and White churned out 1100 Yards.

There were only 6 backs to get 300 carries last season, with his size and strength, he seems a good candidate to repeat, especially if he's in better physical condition.

I don't expect him to catch alot, I'd expect most of the RB receptions to go to Chris Johnson.

For now, I'll keep my projections a little shy given Chris Johnson's presence.

280 Rushes

1204 Yards

9 TDs

11 Receptions

58 Yards

0 TDs

I love to read the Fatdale threads. Almost across the board, Lendale White is jeered for his weight, apathy, attitude and anything else that the posters can think of. The real factor is he is the definite starter on a team that is very focused on establishing the run. Last year, White had 304 of the 438 RB carries for the Titans. Chris Brown had 101, so there are only 33 RB carries by Titan players other than White that are still on the team. I have high hopes for Chris Johnson, but I seriously doubt that he will garner 100 rushing opportunities in his rookie campaign and I am not a Chris Henry fan. Therefore, Lendale White should continue to be the Titan workhorse. He may very well keep his under 4.0 ypc, but if he can grab close to 300 carries, he'll give you a solid scorer for your fantasy team at a very cheap price. His current ADP is RB 27 and 55 overall. Depending on their preseason efforts, I could see Forte, Stewart, Selvin Young and possibly Kevin Smith climbing ahead of White.

Lendale White 295 carries 1150 yards 3.9 ypc 18 catches 90 yards 5.0 ypc and 9 total TDs

I see a big year for LenDale. Fat joke intended, but more to the point, I think he's gonna do a lot more on the field as well.

He is gonna get the grinder yards. He is gonna get the goal line carries. He is gonna follow up the 7 yard catch that Crumpler made with a 3.5 yard carry.

I see him getting close to 300 carries again this year and with more "outside" weapons, his running lanes should open a bit more.

290-1250-12

11-40-0

I just got him in the 6th round of a fantasy draft, behind guys like Kevin Smith, Selvin Young, Thomas Jones and Rudi Johnson. For a guy who even the critics in this post have scoring points worthy of a great #3 or even low-end #2 fantasy RB, I'd say that's a steal for Lendale.

As to the Titans drafting RBs in early rounds, they pretty much have had no choice. They have a very run-heavy offense and their runners keep getting injured (Eddie George, Chris Brown, Travis Henry to name a few) or just plain suck (Chris Henry).

Plus, I think they want what teams like the Saints, Giants, and Steelers have had, a true 1-2 punch with thunder and lightning.

Lendale is definitely the thunder. I don't see Chris Johnson really coming into his own until late this year or even next, so expect more of the same trudging runs from Fatdale, to the tune of around 300 carries, 1100 yards, and 7TDs.

Those are the numbers that put him at RB 19 last year and makes him well worth his ADP in the 6th round.

I love to read the Fatdale threads. Almost across the board, Lendale White is jeered for his weight, apathy, attitude and anything else that the posters can think of. The real factor is he is the definite starter on a team that is very focused on establishing the run. Last year, White had 304 of the 438 RB carries for the Titans. Chris Brown had 101, so there are only 33 RB carries by Titan players other than White that are still on the team. I have high hopes for Chris Johnson, but I seriously doubt that he will garner 100 rushing opportunities in his rookie campaign and I am not a Chris Henry fan. Therefore, Lendale White should continue to be the Titan workhorse. He may very well keep his under 4.0 ypc, but if he can grab close to 300 carries, he'll give you a solid scorer for your fantasy team at a very cheap price. His current ADP is RB 27 and 55 overall. Depending on their preseason efforts, I could see Forte, Stewart, Selvin Young and possibly Kevin Smith climbing ahead of White.

Lendale White 295 carries 1150 yards 3.9 ypc 18 catches 90 yards 5.0 ypc and 9 total TDs
We'll revisit this during the season, but for now, you are correct. I just don't think it will stay that way. The rest of your post is dead-on.

I'm going with 240/880/6 rushing, 15/60/2 receiving.

Chris Johnson is a M Bennett type. Mostly just a speed demon - a change of pace guy. White is still the man - he won't top 300 carries but might get close.

This guy is like a Ron Dayne, but better.

You hate to start him, but he can put up a good week. He's a productive guy, yet you're not quite sure why. Looking at the highlights / live games makes you want to avert your eyes - but he does get the job done.

He's not for the feint of heart that's for sure, but as a value RB3 / flex guy I can see the attraction to picking him up.

I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire his services though, and a trade offer mid-year would definitely have me working the deal.

I think Chris Johnson is someone to watch out for. Titans media and staff expect Johnson to make a run as the starting back. They label him as a "Brian Westbrook type" of RB. He may start off as the change of pace back, but if he excels, don't be surprised to see them use him more. LenDale is nothing too special, IMO (sorry Cecil) and he could find himself replaced if he doesn't improve on his sub 4.0 YPC. I expect Johnson to leave camp around 210 lbs with a mindset of being able to fill in if asked. It may not be this season, but next year LenDale White could be on the outside looking in.

210 carries, 805 yards, 6 TD, 15 rec, 85 yards, 0 TD, borderline top 25 back.

Titans homer here but I like LenDale to improve on his numbers from last year.

280 carries

1120 yards

15 grabs

100 yards

12 TD's

Would have equated to RB12 in my PPR league last year. Solid value for his current draft projection.

LenDale White is the kind of running back you can get in the 4th and 5th round of your drafts (12 team redraft with an ADP of 55) allowing an owner the option using the STUD WR theory.

If you're drafting mid to late in your draft and decide to take Moss and then maybe Owens or Wayne in the 2nd, if you are confident that this guy can get you around 1000 yards on the ground with 7 or 8 Td's, that's an attractive option. I'm a little skeptical in that they drafted rookie RB Johnson and will have my eye on him but for now, it's White's job and he's entering only his 3rd year. He did have over 300 caries last year and he looks to me he'll have around that this year unless Johnson is just too studish to keep off the field, which is why we'll keep an eye on him during practices.

300 rushes for 1100 yards and 8 td's

20 catches for 150 yards and 1 td

Good to see some solid numbers on here as I believe he gets no respect (and I don't presently own him on any teams). I think he will keep getting disrespected and keep cranking out solid numbers.

285/1170/12td

14/85/0td

Since I'm not sure where else to put it, I'll put it here - Chris Johnson looks the part.

I think this helps White more than hurts.
I believe this is the case also. Of course Vince has to show improvement as well. As they say, image is everything, and Lendale's image is cloudy. With two years left on his rookie contract he needs to erase the laissez-fare Fatdale image and improve on last year's solid if unspectacular on field performance. It will do him no good in contract negotiations if he continues to be taken off the field as frequently as he was last year. Showing up to camp in "shape" and ready to work will help his image in the media, which is important in this day and age.

If this is the course he chooses Fischer will run him into the ground.

As an OPTIMISTIC owner: 300 carries for 1260 yds and 10 td's 15 receptions for 105 yds and 1 td

I love to read the Fatdale threads. Almost across the board, Lendale White is jeered for his weight, apathy, attitude and anything else that the posters can think of. The real factor is he is the definite starter on a team that is very focused on establishing the run. Last year, White had 304 of the 438 RB carries for the Titans. Chris Brown had 101, so there are only 33 RB carries by Titan players other than White that are still on the team. I have high hopes for Chris Johnson, but I seriously doubt that he will garner 100 rushing opportunities in his rookie campaign and I am not a Chris Henry fan. Therefore, Lendale White should continue to be the Titan workhorse. He may very well keep his under 4.0 ypc, but if he can grab close to 300 carries, he'll give you a solid scorer for your fantasy team at a very cheap price. His current ADP is RB 27 and 55 overall. Depending on their preseason efforts, I could see Forte, Stewart, Selvin Young and possibly Kevin Smith climbing ahead of White.Lendale White 295 carries 1150 yards 3.9 ypc 18 catches 90 yards 5.0 ypc and 9 total TDs
Hey you could draft the Whale from the Titans and your boy McFadden in the first two rounds and there you go - CHAMPIONSHIP. Probably not, but it would be different. :confused:I thought you put together a nice coherent analysis, but I'm staying away from the Titans and Oakland backfields this year.

Users who are viewing this thread