#1 Hoos First

Hoos First

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Joined 17-April 04

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

So I've been diagnosed with foot drop, caused by a disc in my back, and it was suggested I try spinal decompression therapy. Its not cheap($2500 for 20 sessions) and insurance doesnt cover it. No one in my city has the machine so its probably another $400 in gas to drive to a nearby city 20 times. It is suppose to have 80+% rate of working. So, just wondering if anybody has gone through this or have any other suggestions.

#2 urbanhack

urbanhack

Fight The Power!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,741 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:37 AM

My chiro does decompression on me the old school way.

He has a table similar to this. He velcros my feet to the very end of the table and then the bottom half of the table moves with my feet dropping. He keeps his hand pressed on my lower back while my feet drop and my spine decompresses.

City living and consumerism is, at its essence, unamerican.

..::sp::..

#3 BowieMercs

BowieMercs

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Joined 18-December 05

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

You wear those boots at night to keep your achilles from contracting too much?
Jim Weaver is an idiot.

i thought you were Pony Boy fat with a touch of biker

#4 Chaos Commish

Chaos Commish

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,323 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

So I've been diagnosed with foot drop, caused by a disc in my back, and it was suggested I try spinal decompression therapy. Its not cheap($2500 for 20 sessions) and insurance doesnt cover it. No one in my city has the machine so its probably another $400 in gas to drive to a nearby city 20 times. It is suppose to have 80+% rate of working. So, just wondering if anybody has gone through this or have any other suggestions.

Nobody has the machine? There's some very expensive decompression tables on the market, but I'm not convinced they do anything more than what a typical chiropractor can do with basic equipment. They claim the machine can isolate negative pressure to the very disc that is compressed, and even if so, which I'm doubtful of after riding that thing for a few hours on over a dozen treatments, how is this better than an inversion table decompressing everything? I'm no doctor, but I can gently decompress my spine in a recliner by extending the back rest but not the foot rest. When I do this, what I feel in my lower back is identical to what I feel on the fancy table with my head in a clamp. Try it. Leave your legs hanging and stretch out finding a leg position that keeps negative pressure on your lower back. I do it for about 15 minutes every night.

A chiro can hook up traction to decompress your spine. I usually do not want to get off the table it feels so good. And the machine urbanhack linked to is very standard chiro office equipment and also does a great job. I love that thing. It's probably my favorite but that may be because it comes with a massage therapist. Still if you're in halfway decent physical condition, an inversion table may be the best lifelong medicine. I've only had one for a few months and I only use it once or twice a week, but it's aggressive decompression (as opposed to gentle). It kicks butt for me. I used to be able to lie on my side and torque to pop/adjust my spine at will. Not anymore. I haven't been to the chiro since I got it. Ymmv. Even if you're not in good enough condition, a motorized one is half the price of the treatments. All that said, 2500 for 20 treatments is not exorbitant. I've come to the point where I wonder if the many many treatments required by chiropractic doesn't tell us something about physical therapy in general. It just takes dedication and education. Of course the more visits the more money they make, but there's more to it than just greed. They have to go about it slowly, gently, not to make things worse or hurt a patient, and because what they're trying to fix takes time through strengthening and healing. I think this can all be done at home with specific core exercises and a little conscientious self-decompressing.

But then I have DIY disease in a bad way.

I discovered the art of self decompression a few years ago when I was in so much pain I just wanted to hang from the garage rafters by my feet. It was the only thing that made sense in my pain induced delirium. I was desperate. I could barely stand without support and I was having intermittent wicked spasms that were paralyzing. So I tied a rope to one foot. :yawn:

All the pain was on one side. I tied the other end to a bed post. I got down on my stomach and tried to pull the bed with my foot by inching forward. As soon as the rope tightened there was some subtle popping and movement in my spine and the relief was instant, but I had to pull on something to keep the decompression/stretching working. Just my body weight helped a little but I needed aggressive therapy. I got tired of pulling and when I let up most of the pain returned, but the spasms were gone. So, remembering the traction set up at the chiro office I tied the end of the rope to a bar stool outside. I got back on my stomach on the deck and slid the bar stool off of it with enough rope that it would fall to the ground, then I inched forward again so it was hanging, it's weight pulling on my foot decompressing that disc. It was heaven for about 40 minutes, but I had a hard time getting out of this mess when I decided it was time to get up.

#5 QUEZILLA

QUEZILLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03
  • Interests::chainsaw:

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

Go to a chiro that has the Pro-Adjuster. :coffee:

IIRC, it cost around $40 or so per visit. But, that's FL. GB living in a state full of old people.

Edited by QUEZILLA, 22 July 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#6 arrow1

arrow1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,614 posts
  • Joined 25-August 04

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

Go to a chiro that has the Pro-Adjuster. :goodposting:IIRC, it cost around $40 or so per visit. But, that's FL. GB living in a state full of old people.

Try a chiropractor that does flexion/distraction technique. It's what was described above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users