What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Farve to Report this Weekend (1 Viewer)

Brew City

Footballguy
Adam Schefter is reporting on NFL Network:

Brett Farve is expected to show up for Packers training camp this weekend. He told Ted Thompson this via phone on Thursday. A letter of reinstatement could be faxed to the Commissioner as early as today.

They better move him quick before it divides that locker room. The Vets obviously like Favre, but I heard Ruvell Martin and James Jones both speak highly of Rodgers and "allude" to the fact that it eould not be fair for him to be bumped to second string again.

The Vets obviously like Favre, but I heard Ruvell Martin and James Jones both speak highly of Rodgers and "allude" to the fact that it eould not be fair for him to be bumped to second string again.
I think Ruvell Martin and James Jones ought to prove something in the NFL first before anybody gives a rat's a** what they think. And I like Jones for what it's worth.

The Vets obviously like Favre, but I heard Ruvell Martin and James Jones both speak highly of Rodgers and "allude" to the fact that it eould not be fair for him to be bumped to second string again.
I think Ruvell Martin and James Jones ought to prove something in the NFL first before anybody gives a rat's a** what they think. And I like Jones for what it's worth.
It doesn't matter what they have proved, they are on the Packers team and an example of players siding with Rodgers.

At the same time...if alot of the younger players think that...there is alot of youth on that team...and those are the guys who the team will be relying on in the future...so TT has to take all of it into consideration.This is why I have said over and over that its not just as simple as "who is the best QB".

It doesn't matter what they have proved, they are on the Packers team and an example of players siding with Rodgers.
I think it does matter what they have proven in this league. It is an example of players siding with Rodgers but if the players siding with Rodgers aren't players who have proven much (and in the case of Jones and Martin aren't even starters) it lessens the value of their opinions - in my opinion. Tell me what guys like Driver, Harris, Woodson or Barnett think. Those are the players who have proven something in this league and so, for me, their opinions carry considerably more weight than what Martin or Jones might say.

Right move by Brett. This puts the pressure back on Thompson.

And for the players, it is all about winning a SB. Who cares about youth in the end. I think the Packer players are ready to move un but if it is one or the other, they will want Brett because winning is everything

Brett Favre is this team's best shot at a Super Bowl this year. Every older veteran on that team wants Farve to play because that championship window closes fast. The younger guys get along better with Rogers b/c they're around the same age. It's known that Favre doesn't talk much to the younger crowd on the team. That didn't seem to impact them much the last couple of years, so it shouldn't impact them now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter is reporting on NFL Network:Brett Farve is expected to show up for Packers training camp this weekend. He told Ted Thompson this via phone on Thursday. A letter of reinstatement could be faxed to the Commissioner as early as today.
:popcorn:

Gosh, I can't wait to see Favre's innocent face being interviewed every day after practice, saying glowing things about the players and front office.

He's become a floater that won't go away.

So GB camp starts Sunday. Packers FO doesn't want Favre there, so this necessitates a move immediately.

Tampa camp starts Saturday. Without Garcia present until Monday.

Hmmm...

He will be traded by tomorrow night.

As far as the divided locker room, I think alot more of the players are for Rodgers than people think. Favre didn't even use the locker room. The guy completely removed himself from the team. If you think about, this is the youngest team in the league. Woodson and Harris are really the only old veterans on this team. These guys can relate to Rodgers who is their age, they hang out with Rodgers, and they want to be relevant for the next 5 years not next season.

They better move him quick before it divides that locker room. The Vets obviously like Favre, but I heard Ruvell Martin and James Jones both speak highly of Rodgers and "allude" to the fact that it eould not be fair for him to be bumped to second string again.
I think this is a very interesting situation. The Packers are ready to move on. I don't know if I would be so anxious to move on. Before Farve arrived in Green Bay the Packers went to one playoff game in about 25 years. Since Farve has been there they have been to the playoffs 8 or 9 times and the Super Bowl twice, I believe. Once Farve is gone I think they revert to the struggles they had before he arrived. A Hall of Fame QB covers up a lot of problems. I doubt Rodgers plays even half the season. He has played significant time in only two games and been hurt in both. The Packers are in the position to win a Super Bowl this year. They will not win a Super Bowl with Rodgers this year. By the time Rodgers matures the Packers roster may change considerably, and they may no longer be a contender. I know that eventually the Packers will have to move on, but I would push that day off as long as possible.

Aside from the pending locker room / team chemistry issues, doesn't this move force the Packers to re-absorb his ~12M (?) contract on their cap? I'd think that would be challenging @ this stage of the season.

Favre burned the bridge by trashing Thompson in his Fox news interview. He is still complaining about the Wahle and Rivera release (Thompson was completely right on that), and their failure to trade for Moss. This team went 13-3 and were a Favre interception away from going to the Super Bowl, and Favre is bashing the GM.

So GB camp starts Sunday. Packers FO doesn't want Favre there, so this necessitates a move immediately.Tampa camp starts Saturday. Without Garcia present until Monday.Hmmm...
Yeah this is the step that had to take place in order for Favre to get a trade. Now, :lmao: The longer the Packers take to trade Favre the worse things are for them.

Aside from the pending locker room / team chemistry issues, doesn't this move force the Packers to re-absorb his ~12M (?) contract on their cap? I'd think that would be challenging @ this stage of the season.
Not for the Packers. They have more than double that left under the cap.

He will be traded by tomorrow night.As far as the divided locker room, I think alot more of the players are for Rodgers than people think. Favre didn't even use the locker room. The guy completely removed himself from the team. If you think about, this is the youngest team in the league. Woodson and Harris are really the only old veterans on this team. These guys can relate to Rodgers who is their age, they hang out with Rodgers, and they want to be relevant for the next 5 years not next season.
I would agree with that. Of course one could strongly add that the only that should matter is getting to the Super Bowl and this may be their last realistic shot to do so in the next five years. If the players are favoring Rodgers, that tells me they aren't thinking in the team's best interests in terms of what it will take to win big. I'm not sure anybody is at this point given how this has just become a giant p*****g match that has gotten way out of control.All that being said, I expect Favre to be traded very soon.

NFl Sirius is predicting that Favre will be a Buc by the end of the weekend.

bottom line: the guy wants to play, he can still play well, the Pack should allow him to play whether it's with GB or elsewhere. sure, this prolonged drama is annoying, but i doubt anyone in his shoes would have an easier time walking away from what really makes them happy. I don't doubt that every player has a hard time walking away from the NFL life ... it's a world we can only imagine. So, im not going to root against him just because he's a flip-flopper ... seems like a lot of people suddenly don't like Favre just becuase of what's happened in the past couple of months.

He will be traded by tomorrow night.As far as the divided locker room, I think alot more of the players are for Rodgers than people think. Favre didn't even use the locker room. The guy completely removed himself from the team. If you think about, this is the youngest team in the league. Woodson and Harris are really the only old veterans on this team. These guys can relate to Rodgers who is their age, they hang out with Rodgers, and they want to be relevant for the next 5 years not next season.
I would agree with that. Of course one could strongly add that the only that should matter is getting to the Super Bowl and this may be their last realistic shot to do so in the next five years. If the players are favoring Rodgers, that tells me they aren't thinking in the team's best interests in terms of what it will take to win big. I'm not sure anybody is at this point given how this has just become a giant p*****g match that has gotten way out of control.All that being said, I expect Favre to be traded very soon.
Total p$$sing match. The funny thing is everyone expects Thompson to do what is best for the team (which fans and media are divided on), but Favre has no desire to do what is right for the team. He is jerking the organization and his teammates around. Even if Favre comes back to start, do you really think this whole soap opera won't have an effect on this season? Divided locker room, dissention between Favre and front office, division amongst fans, anger from some fans towards Favre, media questions and speculation all year. This will be such a circus if Favre stays on this team.

if tampa says no thanks I think they are stuck with him unless he does a redo on his contract. If they do trade for him they will only have to give up a 6th or 7th, no brainer for the bucs.

Total p$$sing match. The funny thing is everyone expects Thompson to do what is best for the team (which fans and media are divided on), but Favre has no desire to do what is right for the team. He is jerking the organization and his teammates around. Even if Favre comes back to start, do you really think this whole soap opera won't have an effect on this season? Divided locker room, dissention between Favre and front office, division amongst fans, anger from some fans towards Favre, media questions and speculation all year. This will be such a circus if Favre stays on this team.
Its already a circus. I agree with what someone said earlier when they said Favre gives them the best chance to win NOW. They were really close last year, and were indeed a Favre INT away from the Superbowl. With that being said, I expect to see him either A. Traded or B. Staying Retired.

Being a Bear fan this is a dream come true. The more turmoil the better. And let's see what Packer fans say when Rodgers gets hurt in game three and Brian Brohm has to start the rest of the season. This Farve fiasco definitely makes the Vikings the favorite to win the division, regardless of whether they get Farve or not. If Farve was the Packers starter I think it would be a horse race. It will be nice to finally not have to be facing Farve twice a year.

if tampa says no thanks I think they are stuck with him unless he does a redo on his contract. If they do trade for him they will only have to give up a 6th or 7th, no brainer for the bucs.
Total nightmare for the Packers if they can't trade him. I agree that the price is going down by the hour.

I think this is a very interesting situation. The Packers are ready to move on. I don't know if I would be so anxious to move on. Before Farve arrived in Green Bay the Packers went to one playoff game in about 25 years. Since Farve has been there they have been to the playoffs 8 or 9 times and the Super Bowl twice, I believe. Once Farve is gone I think they revert to the struggles they had before he arrived. A Hall of Fame QB covers up a lot of problems. I doubt Rodgers plays even half the season. He has played significant time in only two games and been hurt in both. The Packers are in the position to win a Super Bowl this year. They will not win a Super Bowl with Rodgers this year. By the time Rodgers matures the Packers roster may change considerably, and they may no longer be a contender. I know that eventually the Packers will have to move on, but I would push that day off as long as possible.
Few things...what they did before Favre is pretty irrelevant given management, coaching, and players have turned over numerous times.Rodgers was not hurt in the Dallas game...he was hurt in practice the week after.Nobody knows how Rodgers will perform...saying they will be just fine or that they have no shot simply cannot be done for sure.Did anyone think the Pats would win it coming off of a bad year and with an unknown at QB?Im not saying Rodgers is Brady...Im saying things have happened before.

Yes...it puts it back on their books.Given they were sitting at about 30 million under before the recent rookie signings and extension of Poppinga...I think they will be just fine there for now.

Favre burned the bridge by trashing Thompson in his Fox news interview. He is still complaining about the Wahle and Rivera release (Thompson was completely right on that), and their failure to trade for Moss. This team went 13-3 and were a Favre interception away from going to the Super Bowl, and Favre is bashing the GM.
I would not say Thompson was completely right on Wahle.

So you know how much Favre's contract is, but you don't know what the Packer salary cap is.I love how guys just post to see their name on the computer screen.They are $37M under the cap right now, with Favres' $12M they are still $25M under the cap. :thumbup:

Few things...what they did before Favre is pretty irrelevant given management, coaching, and players have turned over numerous times.Rodgers was not hurt in the Dallas game...he was hurt in practice the week after.Nobody knows how Rodgers will perform...saying they will be just fine or that they have no shot simply cannot be done for sure.Did anyone think the Pats would win it coming off of a bad year and with an unknown at QB?Im not saying Rodgers is Brady...Im saying things have happened before.
The other issue here is the long term responsibility Thompson and Murphy have. The reality is Favre is 3-5 in his last 8 playoff starts dating back to 2002. He is not the same cold weather qb he once was. They guy is 39. How many more good years does he have? What if Rodgers leaves after next season (while never starting a game for the Packers) and turns into a Pro-Bowler with another team, while Favre slowly regresses the next two years? The front office is trying to avoid falling into oblivion once Favre leaves. Additionally, we all need to remember how long the "will he, won't he" retire stuff has been going on. He was doing this when Sherman was the coach. How are you supposed to draft and approach free agency every year when you don't know who your qb is going to be.

You are right, stranger things have happened. But you have to admit the Packers have a much better chance to win a Super Bowl with Farve under center then with Rodgers. I believe that Farve's presence on this team made them a lot better for a lot of years.

Just reported the Jets have received permission from the Packers to speak with Favre. Let's hope this turns into a bidding war.

GB will ask Favre not to report. They will work out a trade and Favre will veto it. This is just starting.

NFl Sirius is predicting that Favre will be a Buc by the end of the weekend. bottom line: the guy wants to play, he can still play well, the Pack should allow him to play whether it's with GB or elsewhere. sure, this prolonged drama is annoying, but i doubt anyone in his shoes would have an easier time walking away from what really makes them happy. I don't doubt that every player has a hard time walking away from the NFL life ... it's a world we can only imagine. So, im not going to root against him just because he's a flip-flopper ... seems like a lot of people suddenly don't like Favre just becuase of what's happened in the past couple of months.
I think people have moreso soured on Favre because of how he's gone about certain aspects of this "comeback." Could it be some of his teflon coating has finally chipped away? People do have their limits, after all, and him acting like so many of the other spoiled athletes that are out there has gotten old hat (read annoying) for most fans.....

Just reported the Jets have received permission from the Packers to speak with Favre. Let's hope this turns into a bidding war.
You wonder how many teams have $12 million under the cap to afford Farve. I would guess that he may have to renegotiate his contract. I hope he goes to Tampa. I want to see Farve play against the Packers.

GB will ask Favre not to report. They will work out a trade and Favre will veto it. This is just starting.
I am trying to figure out what Favre's ultimate motivation is. I think that is why you are seeing so many Packer fans starting to turn on Favre.

could he just say no I am not going there ? I can't see him wanting to play for the jets anyways....

Jason Cole, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Green Bay Packers and retired QB Brett Favre have reached an agreement on his future after both sides held a call in recent days, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation. The basic agreement entails the Packers coming up with a list of teams willing to trade for Favre, then presenting Favre the list to find where he would prefer to play.

Users who are viewing this thread