What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Rookie Draft Picks, Looking Ahead! (1 Viewer)

Iron_Far

Footballguy
2010 Version of my 2008 thread from two years ago. Will update as much as possible.All commentary and opinions are welcomed.Here are my projected top 12 (first round of a 12 teamer) in your standard PPR/non-IDP league. October 2009 Update:1. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State2. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson3. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech4. Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois5. Joe McKnight, RB, USC6. Charles Scott, RB, LSU7. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma8. Damian Williams, WR, USC 9. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma10. Javarris James, RB, Miami11. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia12. Jake Locker, QB, U-DubHave at it.Aposulli's solid takes below:

It's a little premature until we know who actually declares among the current Juniors/Sophmores, but here are my top 2010 draft eligibles by position...QB1. Mark Sanchez, USC2. Colt McCoy, Texas3. Nate Davis, Ball State4. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame*5. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss*6. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas**7. Tim Tebow, Florida8. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan9. Jake Locker, Washington*10. Zac Robinson, Oklahoma StateSanchez and Davis have the most potential here. McCoy will be the guy everyone is talking about in 2009 as the best Senior prospect. Tebow might have to switch posistions, but will be drafted on Day 1 if I had to guess. LeFevour is a darkhorse as the top Senior. More underclassmen will come through the woodwork, but I think the most hyped will be Clausen and Snead. Clausen could be as high as QB1 in 1 year. Mallett played well at Michigan in his limited time there, and with Petrino at Arkansas, he should put up big numbers if he starts from Day 1. Locker is a good athlete and leader ala Tebow, but probably not as mechanically flawed. Robinson could use some more seasoning, but should be one of the most talked about prospects among stat-happy draft scouts.RB1. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech*2. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma*3. Jahvid Best, Cal*4. Darren Evans, Virginia Tech**5. Derrick Washington, Missouri*6. Charles Scott, LSU7. Evan Royster, Penn State*8. Stafon Johnson, USC9. LeGarrette Blount, Oregon10. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State*11. Joe McKnight, USC*12. Caleb King, Georgia**13. Ryan Matthews, Fresno State14. DaRel Scott, Maryland*15. Chris Brown, OklahomaKind of a crapshoot, but some of these names are sure to be at the top the list of RBs for 2010. Guys like Noel Devine (West Virginia) Javarris James and Graig Cooper (Miami), Keiland Williams (LSU), Ben Tate (Auburn), Mike Ford (South Florida), Vondrell McGee (Texas), and C.J. Gable (USC) also have decent pro prospects. There aren't any surefire stud NFL RBs here, but Dwyer and Murray could prove me wrong.WR1. Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State*2. Arrelious Benn, Illinois*3. Damian Williams, USC*4. Marshwan Gilyard, Cincinnati5. Brandon LaFell, LSU6. Eric Decker, Minnesota7. Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas*8. Golden Tate, Notre Dame*9. David Gettis, Baylor10. Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech*11. Carlton Mitchell, South Florida*12. Jacoby Ford, Clemson13. Jeremy Childs, Boise State14. Jordan Shipley, Texas15. Terrance Tolliver, LSU*Benn, Bryant, and Williams could be special #1 types. I suppose it's an average class, but there are probably guys at this point who I'm underrating. Gilyard should make a great slot receiver for any NFL team. Thomas is an enigmatic talent, who may go the way of Adarius Bowman if he can't keep his attitude straight. The real special talent is one year behind this class with Julio Jones (Alabama), DeAndre Brown (Southern Illinois), and A.J. Green (Georgia).TE1. Cornelius Ingram, Florida2. Rob Gronkowski, Arizona*3. Aaron Hernandez, Florida*4. Ed Dickson, Oregon5. Dennis Pitta, BYUGood athletes are what we're all looking for at TE in fantasy circles, and all of these guys make the cut.
Class looking very good with the addition of Spiller and Bradford as well as Murray. In my mind, a legit chance for as many as FIVE RBs to be drafted in the first round of the NFL draft. Also time for the highly touted guys like Mcknight and Devine to show what they've got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron_Far said:
2010 Version of my 2008 thread from two years ago. Will update as much as possible.

All commentary and opinions are welcomed.

Here are my projected top 12 (first round of a 12 teamer) in your standard non-IDP league.

End of September 2008:

1. Joe McKnight, RB, USC

2. Graig Cooper, RB, Miami

3. Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois

4. Caleb King, RB, Georgia

5. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia

6. Charles Scott, RB, LSU

7. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

8. Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa

9. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

10. Anthony Dixon, RB, Miss. State

11. Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU

12. Vidal Hazelton, WR, USC

McKnight and Devine's time to shine. Benn is the #1 wideout unless one of the stud juniors from 2008 stays an extra year.

Have at it.
McKnight is a bit overrated as an NFL prospect. Yes, he's fast and explosive, but his game is a bit one dimensional and he may not have the power needed to become a featured back in the NFL. He's probably going to be a first round pick, but I'm not sure he's a slam dunk superstar type prospect. He's no Reggie Bush. He may not even be the best back on USC's roster. I think Allen Bradford, Stafon Johnson, and Broderick Green all have a chance to better in the NFL. Many USC homers feel the same way. I don't like Devine as an NFL prospect. I took him with my first round pick in my college dynasty league when he was coming out of high school. He's a good college player, but he's rail thin with very little lower body strength. He's probably a KR/PR and situational runner at the pro level.

As of right now my #1 pick in the 2010 class would be RB Derrick Washington of Missouri. He's a dynamic playmaker with a decent burst and an ideal frame for the NFL level. You can see some of his highlights in the following vid. He's #24.

Sam Bradford looks to be a very high pick in the NFL and possibly the top rated quarterback to enter the draft in the last 4-5 years. I don't usually rate quarterbacks high, but he'll be a tempting pick in FF leagues.

Your WR list is a who's who of high school recruiting. Not all of those guys have justified the hype on the field yet.

I don't have much else to add. It's very early to gauge this group.

What do you guys think of Dedrick Epps TE Miami? I can't figure out if he's a 2009 or 2010 prospect.

I assume you can pull Greene & Bradford out as they should be declaring for the draft.

Julio Jones/AJ Green/Dwyer if eligible in 2010 need to make this list near the top.

Clausen is terrible

trust me I'm a Vols fan and it's just not in his bloodline to have NFL specs

i do miss the fact that his brothers actually won games, baby bro can't even do that

I don't like Devine as an NFL prospect. I took him with my first round pick in my college dynasty league when he was coming out of high school. He's a good college player, but he's rail thin with very little lower body strength. He's probably a KR/PR and situational runner at the pro level.
Like Chris Johnson?

I don't like Devine as an NFL prospect. I took him with my first round pick in my college dynasty league when he was coming out of high school. He's a good college player, but he's rail thin with very little lower body strength. He's probably a KR/PR and situational runner at the pro level.
Like Chris Johnson?
Chris Johnson would look like a monster standing next to Devine.

Like Chris Johnson?
Chris Johnson would look like a monster standing next to Devine.
:( Chris Johnson was 5'11, 190-200 at ECU. Devine is 5'8 165-175. Devine's upside is the exact same as Darren Sproles imo.

As tomdog said, Dez Bryant is easily gonna be a top 10 FF pick next year. Benn/Bryant are comfortably ahead of all other WR at this point.

Dezmon Briscoe will be a top 10 draft pick in dynasty leagues next year imo.

I would think Jahvid Best would make the top 5 list (although a little small). His 20 carries / 186 yards, 2TDs, in the Emerald Bowl were pretty impressive.

I would think Jahvid Best would make the top 5 list (although a little small). His 20 carries / 186 yards, 2TDs, in the Emerald Bowl were pretty impressive.
He has a place in the NFL, and it helps that smaller backs like Washington and Sproles are proving size doesn't matter if you have talent. And watching that game, Best sure has the talent.

Like Chris Johnson?
Devine needs to work extremely hard if he wants to become the next Darren Sproles, at best. Dude is tiny.

It's a little premature until we know who actually declares among the current Juniors/Sophmores, but here are my top 2010 draft eligibles by position...

QB

1. Mark Sanchez, USC

2. Colt McCoy, Texas

3. Nate Davis, Ball State

4. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame*

5. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss*

6. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas**

7. Tim Tebow, Florida

8. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan

9. Jake Locker, Washington*

10. Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State

Sanchez and Davis have the most potential here. McCoy will be the guy everyone is talking about in 2009 as the best Senior prospect. Tebow might have to switch posistions, but will be drafted on Day 1 if I had to guess. LeFevour is a darkhorse as the top Senior. More underclassmen will come through the woodwork, but I think the most hyped will be Clausen and Snead. Clausen could be as high as QB1 in 1 year. Mallett played well at Michigan in his limited time there, and with Petrino at Arkansas, he should put up big numbers if he starts from Day 1. Locker is a good athlete and leader ala Tebow, but probably not as mechanically flawed. Robinson could use some more seasoning, but should be one of the most talked about prospects among stat-happy draft scouts.

RB

1. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech*

2. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma*

3. Jahvid Best, Cal*

4. Darren Evans, Virginia Tech**

5. Derrick Washington, Missouri*

6. Charles Scott, LSU

7. Evan Royster, Penn State*

8. Stafon Johnson, USC

9. LeGarrette Blount, Oregon

10. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State*

11. Joe McKnight, USC*

12. Caleb King, Georgia**

13. Ryan Matthews, Fresno State

14. DaRel Scott, Maryland*

15. Chris Brown, Oklahoma

Kind of a crapshoot, but some of these names are sure to be at the top the list of RBs for 2010. Guys like Noel Devine (West Virginia) Javarris James and Graig Cooper (Miami), Keiland Williams (LSU), Ben Tate (Auburn), Mike Ford (South Florida), Vondrell McGee (Texas), and C.J. Gable (USC) also have decent pro prospects. There aren't any surefire stud NFL RBs here, but Dwyer and Murray could prove me wrong.

WR

1. Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State*

2. Arrelious Benn, Illinois*

3. Damian Williams, USC*

4. Marshwan Gilyard, Cincinnati

5. Brandon LaFell, LSU

6. Eric Decker, Minnesota

7. Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas*

8. Golden Tate, Notre Dame*

9. David Gettis, Baylor

10. Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech*

11. Carlton Mitchell, South Florida*

12. Jacoby Ford, Clemson

13. Jeremy Childs, Boise State

14. Jordan Shipley, Texas

15. Terrance Tolliver, LSU*

Benn, Bryant, and Williams could be special #1 types. I suppose it's an average class, but there are probably guys at this point who I'm underrating. Gilyard should make a great slot receiver for any NFL team. Thomas is an enigmatic talent, who may go the way of Adarius Bowman if he can't keep his attitude straight. The real special talent is one year behind this class with Julio Jones (Alabama), DeAndre Brown (Southern Illinois), and A.J. Green (Georgia).

TE

1. Cornelius Ingram, Florida

2. Rob Gronkowski, Arizona*

3. Aaron Hernandez, Florida*

4. Ed Dickson, Oregon

5. Dennis Pitta, BYU

Good athletes are what we're all looking for at TE in fantasy circles, and all of these guys make the cut.

RB1. LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh*2. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech* 3. Chris Wells, Ohio State 4. C.J. Spiller, Clemson5. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma*6. Jahvid Best, Cal*7. Derrick Washington, Missouri*8. Evan Royster, Penn State*9. Charles Scott, LSU10. Kendall Hunder, Oklahoma State*11. LeGarrette Blount, Oregon12. Darren Evans, Virginia Tech**13. Joe McKnight, USC*14. Caleb King, Georgia**15. Ryan Matthews, Fresno State*McCoy and Wells may actually stay which could make things real interesting atop this class. I'm guessing Spiller is gone this year. Alot of the rest of this list is a crapshoot, but some of these names will remain atop the list of RBs for 2010. Even if McCoy, Wells, Spiller, Murray, and Scott declare for '09, the depth here looks solid.
Looks pretty good. I think McCoy would be a fool to come back to Pitt for another season, but it's certainly possible. I like Jahvid Best, but I don't know how he fits in at the pro level. He's a little guy with durability issues. I don't share this board's fascination with DeMarco Murray. Not a huge Blount fan either. I think he's too straight-line and upright for the NFL. Darren Evans and Kendall Hunter are intriguing. I'll be keeping an eye on them next season.
Guys like Glen Coffee (Alabama), Javarris James (Miami), P.J. Hill (Wisconsin), Keiland Williams (LSU), Ben Tate (Auburn), Anthony Dixon (Mississippi State), Mikell Simpson (Virginia) also have decent pro prospects.
If by decent you mean 7th round picks cut in training camp, then yes. :rolleyes:

RB1. LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh*2. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech* 3. Chris Wells, Ohio State 4. C.J. Spiller, Clemson5. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma*6. Jahvid Best, Cal*7. Derrick Washington, Missouri*8. Evan Royster, Penn State*9. Charles Scott, LSU10. Kendall Hunder, Oklahoma State*11. LeGarrette Blount, Oregon12. Darren Evans, Virginia Tech**13. Joe McKnight, USC*14. Caleb King, Georgia**15. Ryan Matthews, Fresno State*McCoy and Wells may actually stay which could make things real interesting atop this class. I'm guessing Spiller is gone this year. Alot of the rest of this list is a crapshoot, but some of these names will remain atop the list of RBs for 2010. Even if McCoy, Wells, Spiller, Murray, and Scott declare for '09, the depth here looks solid. Guys like Glen Coffee (Alabama), Javarris James (Miami), P.J. Hill (Wisconsin), Keiland Williams (LSU), Ben Tate (Auburn), Anthony Dixon (Mississippi State), Mikell Simpson (Virginia) also have decent pro prospects.
Has Stafon Johnson really fallen this far off the radar?

It's too early until we know who actually declares among the current Juniors/Sophmores, but here are my top 2010 draft eligibles by position...QB1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma*2. Mark Sanchez, USC3. Colt McCoy, Texas4. Nate Davis, Ball State5. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame*6. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss*7. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas**8. Tim Tebow, Florida9. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan10. Jake Locker, Washington*I'm guessing Bradford, Sanchez and possibly Davis will join Stafford in the 2009 draft class, leaving McCoy as the guy everyone will be talking about this season as the best Senior prospect. Tebow might have to switch posistions, but will be drafted on Day 1 if I had to guess. LeFevour is a darkhorse as the top Senior. More underclassmen will come through the woodwork, but I think the most hyped will be Clausen and Snead. Mallett played well at Michigan in his limited time there, and with Petrino at Arkansas, he should put up big numbers if he starts from Day 1. Locker is a good athlete and leader ala Tebow, but maybe not as mechanically flawed.
Think at least one of these guys will merit discussion at some point during the next 15 months. All of these guys have been productive and the first three have NFL size. Tony Pike -CincinnatiTim Hiller- Western MichiganRusty Smith- Florida AtlanticZac Robinson- Oklahoma StateMax Hall- BYU

RB

1. LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh*

2. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech*

3. Chris Wells, Ohio State

4. C.J. Spiller, Clemson

5. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma*

6. Jahvid Best, Cal*

7. Derrick Washington, Missouri*

8. Evan Royster, Penn State*

9. Charles Scott, LSU

10. Kendall Hunder, Oklahoma State*

11. LeGarrette Blount, Oregon

12. Darren Evans, Virginia Tech**

13. Joe McKnight, USC*

14. Caleb King, Georgia**

15. Ryan Matthews, Fresno State*

McCoy and Wells may actually stay which could make things real interesting atop this class. I'm guessing Spiller is gone this year. Alot of the rest of this list is a crapshoot, but some of these names will remain atop the list of RBs for 2010. Even if McCoy, Wells, Spiller, Murray, and Scott declare for '09, the depth here looks solid. Guys like Glen Coffee (Alabama), Javarris James (Miami), P.J. Hill (Wisconsin), Keiland Williams (LSU), Ben Tate (Auburn), Anthony Dixon (Mississippi State), Mikell Simpson (Virginia) also have decent pro prospects.
Has Stafon Johnson really fallen this far off the radar?
I would take him over a lot of the guys on that list. Johnson will get a shot in the NFL. He just doesn't have hype right now because he's not putting up gaudy stats.

Draft Scout is a pretty good source of info and they currently list him as RB6 in the 2010 crop. He'll be a factor.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=RB

On that note, Stafon Johnson 2008 highlights:

He's not the most explosive back out there, but he's a smooth cutter and he runs with good power.

Just heard an interview with demarco murray and when asked about his oline he said he's going to miss these guys. Now is he reffering to some of his oline leaving to the nfl or possibly he slipped up and maybe coming out? Personally I don't think he comes out with the injury but u never know. Anyone else here the interview?

Just heard an interview with demarco murray and when asked about his oline he said he's going to miss these guys. Now is he reffering to some of his oline leaving to the nfl or possibly he slipped up and maybe coming out? Personally I don't think he comes out with the injury but u never know. Anyone else here the interview?
I'm not completely sure but thought I remember reading somewhere that pretty much the entire OU offensive linemen are Seniors so will automatically be gone from college next year.If that's the case, Murray's comments wouldn't steer a meaning one way or the other. If anything I'd think it would make his comments lean more to that he's coming back....ala, he's going to miss playing in college next year without all the O-linemen he's so used to.I'd be very surprised if Murray decided to come out. He's still very raw, needs to refine some of his running skills (vision), prove he's not injury prone, and put on a few more pounds.

I'm not completely sure but thought I remember reading somewhere that pretty much the entire OU offensive linemen are Seniors so will automatically be gone from college next year.If that's the case, Murray's comments wouldn't steer a meaning one way or the other. If anything I'd think it would make his comments lean more to that he's coming back....ala, he's going to miss playing in college next year without all the O-linemen he's so used to.I'd be very surprised if Murray decided to come out. He's still very raw, needs to refine some of his running skills (vision), prove he's not injury prone, and put on a few more pounds.
I agree, when i heard it, i wasn't sure of the status of the OU o-line. Makes sense for him to stay. Thanks.

offdee said:
broncofan13000 said:
I just love this guy's potential. If he can stay healthy and gain some valuable experience with a not-so dominant offense to lean on next season (assuming Bradford doesn't come back), then I can see him being RB1 in the 2010 class. He's got the frame to put on some pounds, great speed and explosiveness and is a threat in the passing game.

At RB, I like Dwyer, Spiller, and Stafon.

McKnight shows flashes, but he hasn't put it all together yet. Jahvid Best has been a better version of the same player in the Pac-10.

I don't like Gresham at all.

I'm not too sure about the depth, but the top of the WR class looks very good next year with Bryant, Briscoe, and Benn.

EBF said:
I don't like Gresham at all.
The TE from Okla? Seriously?
I don't think his game projects well to the NFL for reasons which I've outlined in other posts. The elite NFL pass catching TEs tend to be overgrown WRs with excellent agility and speed for the position (Winslow, Shockey, Gonzalez, Keller). Gresham is just a big dude with limited mobility. He looks great in college because he's able to mandhandle the kids he's playing against, but I don't see his bullying style working against professional athletes. He's not laterally quick and he's not explosive. He's more in the mold of someone like Jerramy Stevens, Leonard Pope, or Marcedes Lewis.

It's a little premature until we know who actually declares among the current Juniors/Sophmores, but here are my top 2010 draft eligibles by position...QB1. Mark Sanchez, USC2. Colt McCoy, Texas3. Nate Davis, Ball State4. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame*5. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss*6. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas**7. Tim Tebow, Florida8. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan9. Jake Locker, Washington*10. Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
Snead is a bit low, and could be a first round QB next year...maybe the #2 QB of the class behind Bradford.

It's a little premature until we know who actually declares among the current Juniors/Sophmores, but here are my top 2010 draft eligibles by position...QB1. Mark Sanchez, USC2. Colt McCoy, Texas3. Nate Davis, Ball State4. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame*5. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss*6. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas**7. Tim Tebow, Florida8. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan9. Jake Locker, Washington*10. Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
Snead is a bit low, and could be a first round QB next year...maybe the #2 QB of the class behind Bradford.
Snead will be moving up a lot of boards next year. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread