#1 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,617 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

Got a 2003 Ford Taurus SES, 6-cylinder, automatic transmission. There are three symptoms that are vexing me:

1) When idling, the engine will rev up and down all by itself, fluctuating between 600 and 1400 rpms or so. The effect is exactly like someone gently pressing down on the gas pedal and then letting up, over and over. This effect is most notable when the car is parked, but also occurs when stopped for red lights, or even during low-speed driving (under 35 mph or so).

2) The car struggles to go up bridges in the usual Drive "gear" now ... you really have to gun it or shift to D1 (?) to get the rpms up. Before, you could just gradually increase the gas while in the ordinary Drive "gear" and going up bridges was a piece of cake.

3) In concert with the above, the Check Engine light has been for about 6 months :wub:, and it ain't the gas cap. I have avoided getting the code read because last time I had that done, it cost $100. My understanding is that I can buy a code-reader for myself for much less than that ... but I have put off buying the code-reader :rant:. It is also said that I can go to Auto Zone and Pep Boys and get the code read on the spot for free ... but I have also put that off (I am not a car's best friend, I guess :hot: ).

The symptoms described in #1 have been on and off for since July ... when the Check Engine light first came on in May, nothing was apparently wrong. I originally blamed the problems on bad gasoline, and STP Gas Treatment (Engine Treatment?) improved the situation markedly for a few weeks, but the symptoms have since returned.

Anyone else ever seen this? I'm sure it's happened to others.

#2 KnowledgeReignsSupreme

KnowledgeReignsSupreme

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50,412 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

Engine cancer.

Nazis and Pirates don't have anything to do with each other.

"same as day 2693."

A guy I'd like to have sex with.

#3 Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Hot Pead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,987 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

I'd bet you need new spark plugs.

I love you Boston fans. Boo Stern as much as you can. Seriously, go Boston fans.

Stoner Claus comes in the middle of the night on the first Friday of the fall, and brings drugs and shoes to the good little boys and girls.

XBOX Live: Mr Manback

#4 Habeeby

Habeeby

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

Got a 2003 Ford Taurus SES, 6-cylinder, automatic transmission. There are three symptoms that are vexing me:1) When idling, the engine will rev up and down all by itself, fluctuating between 600 and 1400 rpms or so. The effect is exactly like someone gently pressing down on the gas pedal and then letting up, over and over. This effect is most notable when the car is parked, but also occurs when stopped for red lights, or even during low-speed driving (under 35 mph or so).2) The car struggles to go up bridges in the usual Drive "gear" now ... you really have to gun it or shift to D1 (?) to get the rpms up. Before, you could just gradually increase the gas while in the ordinary Drive "gear" and going up bridges was a piece of cake.3) In concert with the above, the Check Engine light has been for about 6 months :thumbdown:, and it ain't the gas cap. I have avoided getting the code read because last time I had that done, it cost $100. My understanding is that I can buy a code-reader for myself for much less than that ... but I have put off buying the code-reader :wall:. It is also said that I can go to Auto Zone and Pep Boys and get the code read on the spot for free ... but I have also put that off (I am not a car's best friend, I guess :wall: ).The symptoms described in #1 have been on and off for since July ... when the Check Engine light first came on in May, nothing was apparently wrong. I originally blamed the problems on bad gasoline, and STP Gas Treatment (Engine Treatment?) improved the situation markedly for a few weeks, but the symptoms have since returned. Anyone else ever seen this? I'm sure it's happened to others.

I have a 2000 Taurus that was doing this for a while (#1). My dad knows everything about cars so I took it in to him and got it fixed. I'll call him later and get back to you....
Habeeeeeeeeb

#5 T Bell

T Bell

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,448 posts
  • Joined 30-August 06

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

Take your foot off of the gas, genius.

I hipple so you don't have to.

I :wub: nested quotes.

#6 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,617 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

I have a 2000 Taurus that was doing this for a while (#1). My dad knows everything about cars so I took it in to him and got it fixed. I'll call him later and get back to you....

:thumbup:Gracias.

#7 bigums

bigums

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts
  • Joined 19-December 05

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:26 AM

The surging and lack of power sounds like a vacuum leak or more likely a bad MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). That would throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) as well.

Edited to expand acronyms...

Edited by bigums, 08 December 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#8 ctriopelle

ctriopelle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Joined 07-September 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Got a 2003 Ford Taurus SES, 6-cylinder, automatic transmission. There are three symptoms that are vexing me:1) When idling, the engine will rev up and down all by itself, fluctuating between 600 and 1400 rpms or so. The effect is exactly like someone gently pressing down on the gas pedal and then letting up, over and over. This effect is most notable when the car is parked, but also occurs when stopped for red lights, or even during low-speed driving (under 35 mph or so).2) The car struggles to go up bridges in the usual Drive "gear" now ... you really have to gun it or shift to D1 (?) to get the rpms up. Before, you could just gradually increase the gas while in the ordinary Drive "gear" and going up bridges was a piece of cake.3) In concert with the above, the Check Engine light has been for about 6 months :thumbup:, and it ain't the gas cap. I have avoided getting the code read because last time I had that done, it cost $100. My understanding is that I can buy a code-reader for myself for much less than that ... but I have put off buying the code-reader :confused:. It is also said that I can go to Auto Zone and Pep Boys and get the code read on the spot for free ... but I have also put that off (I am not a car's best friend, I guess :rolleyes: ).The symptoms described in #1 have been on and off for since July ... when the Check Engine light first came on in May, nothing was apparently wrong. I originally blamed the problems on bad gasoline, and STP Gas Treatment (Engine Treatment?) improved the situation markedly for a few weeks, but the symptoms have since returned. Anyone else ever seen this? I'm sure it's happened to others.

Plugs or ignition coil would be the first things I'd look at. Take the car to a local auto parts chain store, they will likely be able to tell you the code for free. Similar thing happened on my '02 Concorde and at 140,000 miles the original plugs were hosed and one of the coils was shorting out. Cost about 70 bucks to fix, but it runs like its new again.

2006 FBG Subscriber Contest 37th place (in the CASH!)
2007 FBG Subscriber Contest 143rd place (in the CASH!)
2008 Exit Week 10 (Top 1600)
2009 Exit Week 11 (Top 1000)
2010 FBG Subscriber Contest 92nd (in the CASH!)
2011 Statistical Anomaly...trying to forget that disaster!
2012 Exit Week 13 (T-346)

2013 Exit Week 13 (T-853)

#9 ctriopelle

ctriopelle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Joined 07-September 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

The surging and lack of power sounds like a vacuum leak or more likely a bad MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). That would throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) as well.

Forgot about this one as well. The guy that helped me when my CEL came on thought the same thing at first, but the meter told us what was really wrong. Best to get a free check!

2006 FBG Subscriber Contest 37th place (in the CASH!)
2007 FBG Subscriber Contest 143rd place (in the CASH!)
2008 Exit Week 10 (Top 1600)
2009 Exit Week 11 (Top 1000)
2010 FBG Subscriber Contest 92nd (in the CASH!)
2011 Statistical Anomaly...trying to forget that disaster!
2012 Exit Week 13 (T-346)

2013 Exit Week 13 (T-853)

#10 Knocks

Knocks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

1) When idling, the engine will rev up and down all by itself, fluctuating between 600 and 1400 rpms or so. The effect is exactly like someone gently pressing down on the gas pedal and then letting up, over and over. This effect is most notable when the car is parked, but also occurs when stopped for red lights, or even during low-speed driving (under 35 mph or so).

Had a 93 accord do same.

Solve for the honda was cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve (IAVC). It was about the size of a candy bar and right up on top of the engine. Easy fix.

removed with 2 or 3 bolts, one elec. connection and sprayed it down with carb cleaner. There was also a small wire screen filter that needed cleaning, carb cleaner'd it also.

Fixed.

Edited by Knocks, 08 December 2008 - 11:33 AM.

“Well being as there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.”

#11 jpeace121

jpeace121

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,726 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

These Tauruses are noted for having horrible transmissions. I had an '01 Taurus, and had a similar problem where the car was having problems downshifting from 2nd to 1st, so that when I slowed down and would get back into the gas, it would rev and not catch. It was a problem with a sensor in the tranny, and they were going to have to basically take the powertrain apart to get to the sensor to check/replace it. Wasn't worth it, got rid of the car. My mom had a '96 Taurus that required a full tranny rebuild after hand grenading going up the side of a mountain.

Your first item does sound like a vacuum/MAF/Fuel injection problem of some sort, but the second sounds like a transmission issue. If this thing has more than 75k miles or so, make your time.

What does it say about a school when they give out stickers for making good plays? I bribe my 2 yr old with stickers to use the potty.

ok, now it time time to return you trains to they upright position because this gonna knock you sonks off.

She turn around slow and take her her fingers and place them around the outside of teh angus. Here we go. She begin and she let out what is probly one of teh loudest noise ever to come out of a body including screams. It sound like part boat horn and part nucleared esplosion.

#12 azgroover

azgroover

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,629 posts
  • Joined 17-September 03

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

I had a similar problem with my ride. It ended up being some sort of wiring issue with the cruise control.

You can get your codes checked for free at Autozone and Checker auto parts.
Pep Boys charges a diagnostic fee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users