#1 Mookie Blaylock

Mookie Blaylock

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3,540 posts
  • Joined 11-December 07

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:00 AM

Ten years ago I played all the Tony Larussa games until the CDs wouldn't work. Anyone still play these games? If so, what's the game to have these days?
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

#2 MrPhoenix

MrPhoenix

Ron Paul Soldier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,765 posts
  • Joined 24-January 05

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

Baseball Mogul is the way to go. There's also Out of The Park if you want more of a day-to-day control of your team, but I enjoy Baseball Mogul because simming seasons are a breeze and they offer every season from 1901 on that is able to be simmed.

I think someone in the Baseball Forum posted a thread where you could get a free copy of Baseball Mogul if you PM him.
WIS XII CHAMPION

Yep. I'm delusional, irrational, and just because you said it, all of my positions, projections, and evaluations are ludicrous. You're right, sir.

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is now controlled by it's system of credit. We are no longer a government of free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men." -Woodrow Wilson

#3 Mookie Blaylock

Mookie Blaylock

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3,540 posts
  • Joined 11-December 07

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:09 AM

Baseball Mogul is the way to go. There's also Out of The Park if you want more of a day-to-day control of your team, but I enjoy Baseball Mogul because simming seasons are a breeze and they offer every season from 1901 on that is able to be simmed.I think someone in the Baseball Forum posted a thread where you could get a free copy of Baseball Mogul if you PM him.

Thanks! I'll check both out.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

#4 PatriotJohn

PatriotJohn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Baseball, Bowling, Patriots/Yankees, golf, camping, poker

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:01 PM

You may also want to check out Diamond Mind Baseball. I use that exclusively in many draft and older player leagues. If you are interested more in statistical accuracy and outstanding radio-style play by play then DMB is worth looking into. It's not overly graphics-based, and has a very loyal following.
--------------------------------------------------

Webmaster, Seasons Past Baseball

A group of 8 different fantasy leagues using Diamond Mind Baseball

SEASONS PAST BASEBALL

#5 5x champ

5x champ

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

I remember in the early 80's I always used to play SSI Computer Baseball on my old Apple II+.

All of the kids in the nieghborhood would get together and pay an owner fee of $2.00 per team and we'd play out a 8 team tourney with best of 5 rounds.
ALNFFL Champion: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004

#6 Vladislav Tretiak

Vladislav Tretiak

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Joined 30-December 05
  • Interests:Goalie coach for Chicago Black Hawks<br />Chairman of the State Duma Committee on Physical Culture, Sport, and Youth

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

How sad I am. This thread is talking PC baseball
I miss the days of rolling dice. Doesn't anybody else?

Strat-O-Matic in the late 70s and all through the 80s.

That 1980 season was a great one. We wore out those cards. It got so bad we had a hard time reading results on some of them.
4-4 NHR on the pitcher card
-5 throwing arms in the outfield
AAA base stealers

Then is 1990 I moved up to Pursue the Pennant. I loved that game!

I want to roll some dice :cry:
Владисла́в Алекса́ндрович Третья́к

#7 Giant Wooden Badger

Giant Wooden Badger

the Beav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,679 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Ten years ago I played all the Tony Larussa games until the CDs wouldn't work. Anyone still play these games? If so, what's the game to have these days?

I still have a couple versions of Tony LaRussa on floppy disk. Earl Weaver too. :excited:

Fun fact - I loswt my virginity exactly 3 dyas ago and also how efver many years oh my dog hi h'm nt ogood #### you and ythe horse you road in on hi see you later guess hwat my wife is all like blah blah balh and now we're are killijg you in you face an stuf..

#8 Helmet Head

Helmet Head

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 525 posts
  • Joined 06-July 03

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Those two look pretty cool. Which one would you say is better?

Have you checked out What If Sports? I play Hardball Dynasty and Gridiron Dynsaty.

It's a great site.

HH

#9 Nigel Incubator-Jones

Nigel Incubator-Jones

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

Used to play Strat on the computer, but haven't picked it up for some time...

#10 Knightro

Knightro

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,437 posts
  • Joined 03-May 03
  • Interests:Baseball, college football, college basketball, being a dad - not necessarily in that order.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

I still have a couple versions of Tony LaRussa on floppy disk. Earl Weaver too. :(

I ran sim leagues on both of those throughout high school and college. Earl Weaver was the best because you could make your own stadiums by customizing field dimensions and the height of the outfield wall by each section (8 in all).
University of Central Florida: A drinking school with a football problem

DockoftheRays.com

#11 Giant Wooden Badger

Giant Wooden Badger

the Beav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,679 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:45 AM

We should start an OOTP league.

Edited by Giant Wooden Badger, 24 December 2008 - 06:45 AM.

Fun fact - I loswt my virginity exactly 3 dyas ago and also how efver many years oh my dog hi h'm nt ogood #### you and ythe horse you road in on hi see you later guess hwat my wife is all like blah blah balh and now we're are killijg you in you face an stuf..

#12 Guest_The Ghost of Common_*

Guest_The Ghost of Common_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

I joined a sim league recently but quickly lost interest because of how fast they sim through a season.

I understand the point of a sim league is to be able to move quicker and play in the offseason - but when I used to play in Diamond Mind leagues, we simmed 1 weeks of play - 3 times a week and that was perfect to set lineup adjustments, make trades, cover for serious injuries, etc.

The leagues out there these days sim a month at a time every day or so. I don't want to be in year 2020 within 6 months, just not as fun from my perspective.

#13 TitusIII

TitusIII

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,770 posts
  • Joined 13-April 06

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Baseball Mogul is an awesome experience to if you're looking to pop your cherry in the sim genre. Many a fun times had with that game, and it blows the "dynasty"/"career" modes in console games out of the water. OOTP may be a little too detailed for all but the biggest of baseball stat nerds, but fun nonetheless...

I think I've controlled the White Sox for 300 seasons in the '07 version of the game, good times, the record books are fun to look at...

The best of all PC sim games, imo, is Fast Break College Basketball...it's a college basketball fans dream...

Edited by TitusIII, 24 December 2008 - 03:36 PM.

#14 Helmet Head

Helmet Head

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 525 posts
  • Joined 06-July 03

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

We should start an OOTP league.

If your or someone else does, let me know. I would like to be a part of it.There is one league on OOTP that I just joined. The league is Hardball Heroes and is run very well. They need a few more owners to join.HH

#15 boubucarow

boubucarow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,715 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

In on an OOTP league.

#16 BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 569 posts
  • Joined 26-July 04

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

Been playing in an OOTP league for about 2.5 years, good group of owners. Sim 5 days at a time (sim is every night at 7 pm pst), lots of active gms and probably only 1-2 teams on computer control right now (out of 30).

If anyone has interest in joining, post here and I'll pm you the details.

#17 firecrackerfreakshow

firecrackerfreakshow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

dksports.com, leagues available and great online play
I AM TOO BROKE FOR A FBG SUBSCRIPTION

#18 Brady Marino

Brady Marino

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,448 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Out Of The Park 11 takes any baseball sim game and kicks it square in the nuts. Picked it up today and it's awesome!
More info

"Molecules change their bonds. Elements combine and change into compounds. That's all of life, right? The constant...the cycle. Solution, dissolution, over and over. Growth, decay. Transformation. It's fascinating, really." Walter White, from script of Episode 1.1 of Breaking Bad

I'm Riding Around Memphis!

#19 RnR

RnR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,026 posts
  • Joined 06-August 03

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

Out Of The Park 11 takes any baseball sim game and kicks it square in the nuts. Picked it up today and it's awesome!
More info

Did you pay 39.99 or find a deal?

RnR is a connoisseur of King's Hawaiian Rolls, 1990s baseball cards and magic football. 

#20 boubucarow

boubucarow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,715 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

More info

I am waiting for 12 so I can have an actually respectable Cubs farm system.

#21 Brady Marino

Brady Marino

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,448 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

More info

Paid $39.99 and it's been worth every cent.

"Molecules change their bonds. Elements combine and change into compounds. That's all of life, right? The constant...the cycle. Solution, dissolution, over and over. Growth, decay. Transformation. It's fascinating, really." Walter White, from script of Episode 1.1 of Breaking Bad

I'm Riding Around Memphis!

#22 Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,865 posts
  • Joined 18-March 10

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

More info

:confused:

I haven't played mine in a few months but it is absolutely amazing.

ETA - worth every penny. I generally download anything I can get but this is worth paying for.

Edited by Dr. Awesome, 29 November 2010 - 11:36 AM.

If you're ever in the mood to watch a scummy Chef Boyardee nail a woman while she tries to hold back vomiting, Bing's got you covered.

#23 badmojo1006

badmojo1006

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,816 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
  • Interests:Breathing

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

Still playing Strat. In two leagues, one that is playing current players and another which is currently playing the 1965 season
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. - Inigo Montoya

#24 Horrorshow

Horrorshow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 17-November 06

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

I've been enjoying Brushback Baseball for a year now.

#25 Arsenal of Doom

Arsenal of Doom

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,189 posts
  • Joined 19-March 06

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

More info

I'm enjoying the hell out of this since I picked it up. It's helping soften the blow of my crappy WIS team.

Edited by Arsenal of Doom, 16 December 2010 - 06:15 PM.

#26 Eephus

Eephus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,271 posts
  • Joined 26-April 05

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

iOOTP 2012 is available in the iTunes appstore. I'm replaying the 1924 season until the 2012 roster updates get posted. I didn't play last year's iPhone version so I don't know what's new. The developers managed to cram a lot of the desktop version into a small form factor. The sim engine is solid; AI manager makes some curious moves but they're within the realm of possibility. I'll have to see how it handles modern benches and bullpens. The interface is pretty good except for the occasional case of fat fingering defensive substitutions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users