What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Guys Fantasy Playoff Contest (1 Viewer)

halls

Footballguy
Does anyone know if Footballguys will have the fantasy playoff contest again this year? I tried emailing Mr.s Dodds but haven't heard back from him. Also, does anyone remember the rules to footballguys fantasy playoff contest? I wanted to do it with the guys from the league I run but I can't remember how it works. I tried the search to no avail. Thanks for any help

Thanks to FBG's for running the playoff draft as a bonus to subscribers!

This would be a good place to ask this question:

I am preparing for our league's playoff draft which has been announced Monday (29th). I'm expecting that FBG's playoff draft cheatsheets won't be ready until later in the week and thinking about the best ways to prep for this draft. Obviously, playoff team roster's & wildcard schedule of games will be crucial in this preparation but what other factors are we looking at to do early rankings? Feel free to use bullet form. TIA

As Jeff said, it will be very, very different from the postseason contest we've run in the past.

Watch for an announcement THIS Monday or Tuesday (i.e. just a couple days from now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Thanks to Jeff and Doug for all the fantasy columns and help throughout the year. 2 years of using football guys and 2 years in the Super Bowl. You guys are the best

Yep. Some crazy value on the board right now, but I'm not going to tell you where it is.

Note that the entry form will be shut down exactly precisely at noon eastern time today.

Just closed the contest. Now I have to scrub all the staff entries out before determining the official payouts.

I'll be working up lots of interesting* probability estimates and standings pages today, tomorrow, and throughout the postseason. I'll keep you posted in this thread.

* - to me, that's who!

Just closed the contest. Now I have to scrub all the staff entries out before determining the official payouts. I'll be working up lots of interesting* probability estimates and standings pages today, tomorrow, and throughout the postseason. I'll keep you posted in this thread.* - to me, that's who!
You are the mad scientist genius of probability tables.

Will at least 40 DIFFERENT players score a touchdown in the postseason?FYI- There were 43 that did last year.
Assuming you picked the over, you probably just screwed yourself out of quite a few points in the contest. The line shifted quite a bit by not waiting 30 minutes to post this. :confused:

Will at least 40 DIFFERENT players score a touchdown in the postseason?FYI- There were 43 that did last year.
Assuming you picked the over, you probably just screwed yourself out of quite a few points in the contest. The line shifted quite a bit by not waiting 30 minutes to post this. :confused:
Right, but the last 4 years averaged a little below 40. The defensive TD's seem to make the difference.

Nah, I picked "NO". Players Last year- 43, year before- 34, year before- 32
That makes more sense. I don't see why you wouldn't take the over with such a big low risk/high reward though.

Just closed the contest. Now I have to scrub all the staff entries out before determining the official payouts. I'll be working up lots of interesting* probability estimates and standings pages today, tomorrow, and throughout the postseason. I'll keep you posted in this thread.* - to me, that's who!
I,m bummed!! I was just getting ready to submit my entry and saw that the comtest closed at 12:00 noon eastern. I thought i had until kick-off to submit my entry.I know, my fault, but I,m still bummed.Islanders

Yep. Some crazy value on the board right now, but I'm not going to tell you where it is.Note that the entry form will be shut down exactly precisely at noon eastern time today.
Well now that the contest is closed what was the crazy values?

Yep. Some crazy value on the board right now, but I'm not going to tell you where it is.Note that the entry form will be shut down exactly precisely at noon eastern time today.
He's been calculating everything since the close of the contest. Give him some time. But 3 of the good values I know of would be choosing YES to "Will all four games in the divisional round be won by the home team? last 3 years they were 2-2,2-2,2-2. And choosing YES to "Will there be at least one game in which the winning team turns the ball over 4 or more times?" And choosing NO to "Will there be at least one made field goal of 51 yards or longer in the postseason?"Big payoff on all of those.

NO on the 51-yard field goal is horrible value. It's been 18 or 19 years since there's hasn't been at least 1 50-yarder kicked (I'll dig up how many years it was 50 on the nose that was the longest to get the 51-yard true count.

As of the time I made I picks, I found that I went against the majority 20 times out of 35. Lotsa good pot odds :hifive:

Looking forward to the Turk's analysis! :lmao:

:potkettle:

-QG

I'll post more later, but the biggest two are the last two.Since 2000, only 32% of all games feature at least one rushing TD of 10 yards or more. A little less than half feature a passing TD of 25 or more.Just say no!

Will there be at least one game in which the winning team turns the ball over 4 or more times? --(yes 906 1,103.75) (no: 4851 206.14 5.35)

I chose No to this question - you have big ones if you chose yes. Anyone recall the last time this happened? The payoff was almost too tempting.

I'll post more later, but the biggest two are the last two.Since 2000, only 32% of all games feature at least one rushing TD of 10 yards or more. A little less than half feature a passing TD of 25 or more.Just say no!
So you're saying I've maximized my payout by answering yes to both? :bag:

Will there be at least one game in which the winning team turns the ball over 4 or more times? --(yes 906 1,103.75) (no: 4851 206.14 5.35)I chose No to this question - you have big ones if you chose yes. Anyone recall the last time this happened? The payoff was almost too tempting.
It happened seven times in 2008. Since 2000, the winning team has had 4 or more giveaways in 3.5% of all games. (This includes only regular season games, I'll leave it to you to speculate whether playoff games are substantially different.)So in a given game, it's about a 96.5% chance of this NOT happening. So the chances of it NOT happening in 11 games (assuming independence) is .965^11, which is 67.6%. I think YES was the smart money on this one.

NO on the 51-yard field goal is horrible value. It's been 18 or 19 years since there's hasn't been at least 1 50-yarder kicked (I'll dig up how many years it was 50 on the nose that was the longest to get the 51-yard true count.As of the time I made I picks, I found that I went against the majority 20 times out of 35. Lotsa good pot odds :)Looking forward to the Turk's analysis! :thumbup: :goodposting: -QG
Apparently there is a nontrivial difference between 50-yarders and 51-yarders (and don't think the Turk didn't know it before constructing the question)
Code:
+------+--------------+| year | 51_+_yarder? |+------+--------------+| 1990 | yes		  || 1991 | yes		  || 1992 | yes		  || 1993 | yes		  || 1994 | yes		  || 1995 | yes		  || 1996 | no		   || 1997 | yes		  || 1998 | yes		  || 1999 | no		   || 2000 | no		   || 2001 | no		   || 2002 | yes		  || 2003 | yes		  || 2004 | yes		  || 2005 | no		   || 2006 | yes		  || 2007 | no		   |+------+--------------+
Code:
+------+--------------+| year | 50_+_yarder? |+------+--------------+| 1990 | yes		  || 1991 | yes		  || 1992 | yes		  || 1993 | yes		  || 1994 | yes		  || 1995 | yes		  || 1996 | yes		  || 1997 | yes		  || 1998 | yes		  || 1999 | yes		  || 2000 | yes		  || 2001 | yes		  || 2002 | yes		  || 2003 | yes		  || 2004 | yes		  || 2005 | yes		  || 2006 | yes		  || 2007 | yes		  |+------+--------------+
Since 2000 (all games, not just postseason), 11.9% of all games have featured a 51+-yard FG. That would imply about a 75% chance that there is at least one 51-yarder. At those odds, I wouldn't call NO horrible value.

Since the beginning of the 12-team format in 1990...

10 out of 18 postseasons have featured a 300-yard rusher.

9 out of 18 postseasons have featured a 300-yard receiver.

In 2008....

43.8% of all games featured a 100-yard rusher

46.9% featured a 100-yard receiver

53.1% featured a 250-yard passer.

This to me seems like good payoffs on the NO side of questions 28, 29, and 30.

Postseasons since the 2-pointer was instituted:

Code:
+------+------------------------+| year | at_least_3_2-pointers? |+------+------------------------+| 1994 | no					 || 1995 | yes					|| 1996 | yes					|| 1997 | no					 || 1998 | no					 || 1999 | no					 || 2000 | no					 || 2001 | no					 || 2002 | yes					|| 2003 | no					 || 2005 | no					 || 2006 | yes					|| 2007 | no					 |+------+------------------------+

Postseasons since 1990:

Code:
+------+------------------------+------------+| year | at_least_40_TD_scorers | TD_scorers |+------+------------------------+------------+| 1990 | no					 |		 36 || 1991 | no					 |		 36 || 1992 | yes					|		 43 || 1993 | no					 |		 39 || 1994 | yes					|		 43 || 1995 | yes					|		 48 || 1996 | no					 |		 39 || 1997 | no					 |		 32 || 1998 | no					 |		 35 || 1999 | yes					|		 40 || 2000 | no					 |		 35 || 2001 | yes					|		 41 || 2002 | yes					|		 49 || 2003 | no					 |		 35 || 2004 | yes					|		 48 || 2005 | no					 |		 33 || 2006 | no					 |		 35 || 2007 | yes					|		 44 |+------+------------------------+------------+

5 touchdowns so far... 5 players scored.Missed 51 yarder just now.
woulda been good from 50 :lol: not really but I was thinking about that when I heard it on the radio.Anyway here's my picks, in 5 question groups:If I was in the minority (based on latest unofficial counts) I've put the letter in CAPS1 to 5: N y Y n y6 to 10: Y y Y n n11 to 15: N N N N Y16 to 20: N N n Y N21 to 25: n N Y Y y26 to 30: y y N y N31 to 35: n y n N y 19 picks of the underdog by me21 of the 35 Qs have a majority of yes (provisionally)Just under 53% of the total picks were yes.If someone guessed yes and got all correct (based on the provisional numbers) they'd get 13,678.54 points. If someone guessed no and got all correct (based on the provisional numbers) they'd get 15,224.07 points.If someone went with the majority every time and got all correct they'd get 9,718.98 points. (Provisionally)If someone went with the minority every time and got all correct they'd get 19,183.63 points. (Provisionally)If I get them all right I'll win with 14,490.48 :) (Provisionally)Will be fun :rolleyes: -QG

Woo-hoo. 424 points banked.

I'm really curious to see if I do better with the picks I made that I wanted to make, or the picks I made based on the vote totals I saw at the time.

Great idea for a contest. I missed adjusting my selections this morning to optimize based on how the voting had changed. So many interesting factors. I do think it would have made a more level playing field to not allow players to see the current number of picks. Then again, without that it probably would have made the answers perceived to be less likely total gold mines. But overall :thumbup: on the novel idea.

Also with respect to the number of td's scored note that while these first games have gotten off to a good start most of the Ari offense has no contributing potential left. So here's to them losing in the next round! Need 3.33 tds per team in the playoff. The falcons gave 3 before getting knocked, Ari gave 4. So anything from here on out of ari would be gravy. Force feed Edge?

This question has already been answered..."Will at least three games in the wildcard round be won by the visiting teams?"

The correct answer was "No". Both home teams won today.

If you answered "No", you earned 330.36 .... like I did. :thumbup:

This question has already been answered..."Will at least three games in the wildcard round be won by the visiting teams?"The correct answer was "No". Both home teams won today.If you answered "No", you earned 330.36 .... like I did. :thumbup:
Will at least three postseason games be won by teams from the AFC South?
Tennessee needs to win the Superbowl for the 'yes' voters here.

This question has already been answered..."Will at least three games in the wildcard round be won by the visiting teams?"The correct answer was "No". Both home teams won today.If you answered "No", you earned 330.36 .... like I did. :thumbup:
I'd be interested to know what people saw in this one at approximately even point yields? at 50/50 splits across the board it only occurs 5/16. Tommorows away teams have ~3 point line spreads in their favor, missed what todays were. but for the even yield the away teams would need in general a 11:5 likely hood of winning (68% chance)? I almost feel stupid typing this because it seems so out of whack, but its late so forgive if my math is crazy talk.

Users who are viewing this thread