What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Staff Addition to Footballguys (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
Joe and I are pleased to announce the hiring of Matt Waldman to be part of what we are doing here in 2009 and beyond. He has been a big part of FFToday.com (Gutcheck, Crank Scores, etc) the past few years and also publishes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. As someone who has read many of his articles, I know firsthand that he will be a great addition to our staff.

I asked Matt to write a quick bio and here it is:

-----------------------------------------

In Matt's words.....

Before I even tell you a little about me, you should know I've been a fan of Footballguys.com since 1999 and imagined how much fun it would be to be a part of this team. Now that I have the opportunity to do so, I doubt I'll be disappointed. I'm excited about getting to know everyone here.

I've been writing about fantasy football at FFToday.com since 2004, where I penned the columns "The Weekly Gut Check" and "20/20 Hindsight", competed in leagues with fantasy writer representing other sites, recruited writers and edited content, and promoted the site through weekly sports radio segments for various stations throughout the years. One of my pet projects is the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I use game film to evaluate the performance of draft eligible college players with position-specific checklists for the most common fantasy offensive skill positions. I sell this work as an annual, online publication and to have the opportunity to talk about it on the boards I enjoy frequenting the most without caution is going to be fun. Basically, I have lost my mind and am hoping to lead others into my insane world.

Other stuff: I'm a 38-year-old magazine writer and copywriter from Athens, Georgia. I love the fact that Office Space is now just a movie and not a snapshot of my life. I got engaged nearly six weeks ago and the date is set for October 24th. My "tool shed" is in the kitchen, her "tool shed" is really a tool shed. I'm a Titans fan because of Jeff Fisher. My office is 1/4 -mile from Sanford stadium, the most renowned set of hedges in college football and I have never actually been in the stadium.

Does the Rookie Scouting Portfolio come with him (& with our subscription)? 'Cause that would be awesome... :thumbup:

Welcome to FBG Staff Wildman.

Been a fan of the rookie scouting profile for a couple of years.

Great addition!

Welcome Matt!

Thanks everyone. Let me say the folks I worked with at FFToday have been a class act and I'll always be appreciative of the opportunity I had there and I cannot understate that fact.

At the same time, I'm really stoked about joining FBG. This is a great environment for football talk, fantasy strategy, and passion for the game.

The Rookie Scouting Portfolio will be sold separately on my own site, which I will be unveiling in the next 2-3 weeks, but it is something I write about at FBG. I will be providing samples and analysis of past and present issues here as well as be joining Cecil and Sigmund on the Audible on a more frequent basis to talk all things draft.

Past customers will like to know that I already have evaluated 130 prospects and I anticipate to hit the 140-150 mark by the April 1st publication date. That's up from the 115-120 from previous seasons. So yes, once again it will be a tome... :excited:

I've been a huge fan of Footballguys, the staff, and the members of these boards and again, I'm stoked about doing what I can to bring additional value to an already great site.

Great Hire, FBGs!

Matt was the only reason I visited FFtoday, so now I have one less bookmark cluttering my favorites!!!

Can't wait for the Rookie Scouting Portfolio.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW !! A horrible blow to FFToday and a GREAT addition to FBG!! I love his Crank Score and Gut Check articles. I hope they come with him !!

I will be providing samples and analysis of past and present issues here as well as be joining Cecil and Sigmund on the Audible on a more frequent basis to talk all things draft.
This is 100% win in my book.Congrats, Matt.

Congrats Matt and I am as always looking forward to your rookie guild as well as all of your contributions especially with Bloom and Cecil!

AWESOME! My #1 recommendation to join the site. I certainly hope that he's part of the audible conversations about rookie draft rankings and that Matt provides dynasty rankings, rookie rankings, and provides his projections.

Now just put up a "similarity score" calculator or similarity score results on each player page!

Trying on the new jersey right now with the initial post...still need to fix it up a bit - it needs a grass stain and a tear but I'll get it set up soon. Fits nice though... :pics:

Trying on the new jersey right now with the initial post...still need to fix it up a bit - it needs a grass stain and a tear but I'll get it set up soon. Fits nice though... :thumbup:
Welcome from the CRimson Tide Nation! :thumbup: What is it about Jeff Fisher that compelled you to become a Titans fan?? :shrug: (PLz don't say the 'Stache :pics:

Trying on the new jersey right now with the initial post...still need to fix it up a bit - it needs a grass stain and a tear but I'll get it set up soon. Fits nice though... :thumbup:
Welcome from the CRimson Tide Nation! :thumbup: What is it about Jeff Fisher that compelled you to become a Titans fan?? :shrug: (PLz don't say the 'Stache :pics:
I grew up a huge Browns fan in the 80s (family is from Cleveland, Ohio) and enjoyed the hard-hitting style of the Schottenheimer era. Cleveland was a resilient team at that time. When Modell took the Browns to Baltimore, I found myself drawn the Fisher's teams for that same resiliency in their style of play. Even when his teams getting purged due to the salary cap, I admired that they still played a physical brand of football and competed well in most games. Fisher is a cool customer in the media too - even if he has the 80's adult film star look...

I've purchased quite a few draft pubs throughout the years, and Wildman's Rookie Scouting Portfolio is right up there with the best in the business.

Trying on the new jersey right now with the initial post...still need to fix it up a bit - it needs a grass stain and a tear but I'll get it set up soon. Fits nice though... :hot:
Welcome from the CRimson Tide Nation! :cry: What is it about Jeff Fisher that compelled you to become a Titans fan?? :hot: (PLz don't say the 'Stache :goodposting:
I grew up a huge Browns fan in the 80s (family is from Cleveland, Ohio) and enjoyed the hard-hitting style of the Schottenheimer era. Cleveland was a resilient team at that time. When Modell took the Browns to Baltimore, I found myself drawn the Fisher's teams for that same resiliency in their style of play. Even when his teams getting purged due to the salary cap, I admired that they still played a physical brand of football and competed well in most games. Fisher is a cool customer in the media too - even if he has the 80's adult film star look...
Ahhh, I seeGuys like Brian Sipe, Ricky Feacher, Greg Pruitt, Brian Brennan, Clay Matthews, Carl Hairston, Felix Wright........................ Good times :cry: I even know a legend from that crew - the Wizard of Oz, and best TE ever in my book. :wall:

Trying on the new jersey right now with the initial post...still need to fix it up a bit - it needs a grass stain and a tear but I'll get it set up soon. Fits nice though... :hot:
Welcome from the CRimson Tide Nation! :cry: What is it about Jeff Fisher that compelled you to become a Titans fan?? :hot: (PLz don't say the 'Stache :goodposting:
Ahhh, I seeGuys like Brian Sipe, Ricky Feacher, Greg Pruitt, Brian Brennan, Clay Matthews, Carl Hairston, Felix Wright........................ Good times :cry: I even know a legend from that crew - the Wizard of Oz, and best TE ever in my book. :wall:
I had Feacher's autograph as a kid, but I revered the ground the Wizard of Oz walked when he was on a football field. Excellent GM...I want to hate the Ravens, but I can't - whenever I see them I just see traces of the team I grew up watching and wished they were still in Cleveland with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and company....

"i]I had Feacher's autograph as a kid, but I revered the ground the Wizard of Oz walked when he was on a football field. Excellent GM...I want to hate the Ravens, but I can't - whenever I see them I just see traces of the team I grew up watching and wished they were still in Cleveland with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and company...."

Ray Lewis ain't tough enough to make it in Cleveland :shock:

WOW! This sounds better then a win-win, More like a win-win-win. LOVE the work Matt has done on FFToday and really enjoy that site and his contributions. It just isn't a Thursday in the fall unless I'm reading his Gut check piece during my lunch.

As a side note could someone take a look at the rankings page. Since it is not within the 14 days or 7 days default the system will not display anything and therefore, you can't change the date to a longer time period. Perhaps you could remove the date check from the program.

Thanks & WELCOME MATT!

tones said:
As a side note could someone take a look at the rankings page. Since it is not within the 14 days or 7 days default the system will not display anything and therefore, you can't change the date to a longer time period. Perhaps you could remove the date check from the program.
Here is the link directly to the Dynasty RB rankings set for the last 35 days"]http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=rb&type=dynasty&howrecent=35"]

....you probably have the overall rankings bookmarked which tend not to be updated as often...

The Man With No Name said:
:goodposting: Welcome aboard. Will be looking forward to everything you have to offer us here. The best fantasy football website just got better.
Thanks - have you seen Gran Torino yet? I've been looking forward to checking it out. Gotta add that to your sig!

Great move FBG's! Have been a big fan of Waldman's work over at FFToday, and his RSP is priceless.

Having crossed paths with Matt in the past I can easily say that FBG just added a legit first-round talent. He knows his stuff and always presents it in a class manner (and isn't afraid to back it up). He's a big addition that will always deliver and I look forwad to his analysis on all things football.

Since fftoday was my main fantasy board since about 2002 (but I started posting there as Madd Futher Mucker in 2005), I've known of Matt Waldman for years, both through his articles there and his posts. I think a couple of years ago both Matt and I came to the realization that the more serious fantasy players and contributors are HERE, at fantasyguys.com.

While I still do more posting at FFtoday (maybe a habit or an ego thing), I definitely get more in depth analysis from this forum both from the staff and the other many excellent forum contributors, so thanks to all for showing me the better way!

But I can definitely say that Matt was THE MAN in my eyes for his contribution to the content at fftoday.

Here is one of my most recent posts over there:

Congrats to Matt Waldman, Fantasy Sports Writers Association award finalist! Matt (Wildman) Waldman is one of only 3 finalists for the Football Soprts Writers Association award for 2008 Best Football Article In Print. Finalists and winners will be announced in Tampa during the Super Bowl.

Kudos to you, Matt, and welcome to your new 'home'.

(For those who may not know, this is a different category of the same Writers Association award program that has recognized Jeff Pasquino as a nominee for Football Writer of the Year and Best Football Article on the Web.)

And my congrats to the footballguys team for adding another 'heavyweight' to the staff. In addition to having the best Podcast talent around in Lammey, Bloom, and Faletti, footballguys has further cemented its lock on the most talented writers as well.

Great news for all us music lovers too!!!

Maybe now we'll get some Miles or Coltrane bumper music!?!?!?!?!?

Munchkin...if I do a BlogTalk Radio show, you can be the music director
You could open with "The James Bond Theme" off of John Zorn's "Naked City" but it might scare the heel out of Cecil. :lol:
I've seen Zorn in concert with Mike Patton. :goodposting:
With Lars on drums????Cecil, you have been touched by the soul of Sun Ra. That Audi you have been laying claim to zipping around in is really a Flying Saucer.

Sun Ra's Arkestra....for people who know John Gilmore wasn't just the name of a depth chart receiver for the Cardinals and Niners...

Welcome Matt! I bought your RSP last year and was blown away! I was a big fan of yours at FFToday and am thrilled you are here now!

:hot:

Users who are viewing this thread