Photo

Is paying to become an ESPN Insider worth it?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 number 9

number 9

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

It looks to be $60 for two years or $45 for one year. I like to read up on the NFL, NCAA Basketball and Football, and NHL. Is ESPN's paid content good enough to warrant paying for it?
10-team dynasty league (est. 2006)
Standard scoring + .5 ppr
Start 1qb-2rb-3wr-1te-1k-1td-1flex(qb,rb,wr,te)(home teams choice)

Team: #9
J.Cutler, M.Stafford, M.Hasselbeck, C. Newton
M.Jones-Drew, M.Lynch, D.McFadden, F.Jackson, C.Spiller, S.Vereen
Calv.Johnson, W.Welker, B.Edwards, R.Meachem, M.Sims-Walker, L.Fitzgerald, B.Lloyd
Z.Miller, D.Keller, F.Davis
J.Hanson
Green Bay, NY Giants, New England
Draft Picks '12: Rnd 2; Rnd 3
Draft Picks '13: Rnd 1; Rnd 2; Rnd 3

2010: Regular: 7th (-/125); 2009: Regular: 6-7 Playoffs: 0-1 (-96.50/125); 2008: Regular: 3rd 8-5 Playoffs: 0-1 (-80/100); 2007: Regular: 1st 10-3 (Best Record, Most Points) Playoffs: 2-0 Champion (+560/100); 2006: Regular: 7th 5-8 (-100/100); OVERALL ('06-'09): +$183.50

#2 Adebisi

Adebisi

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,196 posts
  • Joined 17-January 09

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

No, it's not worth it, but why would you give ESPN any money at all, even if it was worth it?
"Stats are for losers." --Bill Belichick

#3 bcr8f

bcr8f

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

If you like the Magazine and subscribe it's included then it's OK, otherwise I say no. You can try it for 30 days.

#4 GregR

GregR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,270 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

It looks to be $60 for two years or $45 for one year. I like to read up on the NFL, NCAA Basketball and Football, and NHL. Is ESPN's paid content good enough to warrant paying for it?

Most of my use of ESPN Insider comes during the NFL Draft and the offseason in general. Having access to the Scouts Inc scouting reports for rookies is nice, and was pretty much worth the price for me when I first got it. I also like being able to look up veterans who they have similar gradings for, particularly the guys I haven't gotten to see play very much or a position like O-lineman who in my opinion few people can do a very good job of evaluating without actually watching game film.Other than that... eh.... sometimes they put articles over in Insider that really shouldn't be, and they just put them there to try to create some reason for people to buy it. I suppose it's nice to be able to get to them, but really the NFL draft content is the only thing of much worth to me.
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.

97% of the time I'm right, so who cares about the other 4%?

#5 The Man Who Met Andy Griffith

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,444 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

I believe (not 100% certain) that you get insider for free by subscribing to ESPN the magazine, which can be done for $14 per year:

http://www.discountm...oduct/4627/espn

#6 JoeSteeler

JoeSteeler

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,086 posts
  • Joined 08-February 07

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

just find someone that subscribes to the mag and use that to get insider.

#7 bcr8f

bcr8f

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

That's right.

#8 MAC_32

MAC_32

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,729 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

Not worth it, did the buy the magazine and take the free insider for a year trial when I had more free time just to see.

I like Buster Olney's baseball blog, but just about everything else they offered can be had for free elsewhere on the net.

As great as Olney's blog was it's definitely not worth the full subscription price. I'm fine with being slightly behind the pulse of baseball and spending my $ on something else.

#9 thatguy

thatguy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,351 posts
  • Joined 30-August 05

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

No. I became an Insider about 6 years ago, tried to cancel after my first year, and was still an Insider just under a year ago, when I was finally able to cancel my subscription.

#10 Novice2

Novice2

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Joined 20-September 06

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Geico isn't paying for it anymore? Use to be free i remember the ''go sign up for free insider thanks to Geico'' ( or it may have been progressve One of the insurance companies anyway ) commercials. I never went to sign up so deff not worth paying a penny to me.

Could be a situation of me not knowing what im missing but i'll keep it not knowing.

#11 Bri

Bri

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36,418 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

If you like the Magazine and subscribe it's included then it's OK, otherwise I say no. You can try it for 30 days.

half finished statements in the "click here to read the rest of" style are annoying so it's nice to finish those. I like the magazine

Twitter Formerly of USAToday, owner of FootballHangout. Creator of Mock Draft Simulator app on Google Play Store.

#12 Bri

Bri

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36,418 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

Geico isn't paying for it anymore? Use to be free i remember the ''go sign up for free insider thanks to Geico'' ( or it may have been progressve One of the insurance companies anyway ) commercials. I never went to sign up so deff not worth paying a penny to me. Could be a situation of me not knowing what im missing but i'll keep it not knowing.

I forgot about that, what did wind up happenning?

Twitter Formerly of USAToday, owner of FootballHangout. Creator of Mock Draft Simulator app on Google Play Store.

#13 puckalicious

puckalicious

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

I had the free membership with ESPN magazine a year ago, the subscription ran out and I don't miss the Insider at all. If you like the magazine then it's totally worth it. Otherwise, meh. Not worth the price IMO for articles that honestly should be free on the website. Doesn't ESPN get advertiser revenue? It's all a racket.

Edited by puckalicious, 08 February 2009 - 05:08 AM.

#14 corpcow

corpcow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,552 posts
  • Joined 17-October 03

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

Definitely not worth it, IMO. There are much better resources out there.
tmarman.com - Follow me on Twitter (@tmarman)

If you run a salary cap MFL league, check out Dynasty Dashboard - it's a site I created that sits on top and adds better forums, salary and penalty management, auctions, and more.

#15 RC94

RC94

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,180 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

Most of my use of ESPN Insider comes during the NFL Draft and the offseason in general. Having access to the Scouts Inc scouting reports for rookies is nice, and was pretty much worth the price for me when I first got it. I also like being able to look up veterans who they have similar gradings for, particularly the guys I haven't gotten to see play very much or a position like O-lineman who in my opinion few people can do a very good job of evaluating without actually watching game film.Other than that... eh.... sometimes they put articles over in Insider that really shouldn't be, and they just put them there to try to create some reason for people to buy it. I suppose it's nice to be able to get to them, but really the NFL draft content is the only thing of much worth to me.

:shrug: took the words out of my mouth.

#16 Tigerbot Hesh

Tigerbot Hesh

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Joined 02-April 08

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

That's right.

Step 1) Go to the public library, or any library that subscribes to ESPN The Magazine.
Step 2) Write down their name, address and ID number from the mailing slip on the magazine cover.
Step 3) Use that info to log on to the website.

Edited by Tigerbot Hesh, 09 February 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#17 GregR

GregR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,270 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Or instead of stealing from someone else you could buy the subscription and donate it if you don't want it. ESPN will handle for you all of the details of getting it routed to a military base somewhere so the troops will get it. My magazines are sent to the USS Denver.
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.

97% of the time I'm right, so who cares about the other 4%?

#18 crowe1130

crowe1130

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Joined 28-August 04

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:07 AM

If anyone's interested in getting ESPN Insider on the cheap: http://www.1saleaday.com/

$2.99 per year for the magazine + Insider, up to 3 years. Good today only.

I don't really love the magazine, but it will do for bathroom reading - and the Insider is nice to have around NFL draft time.

#19 dapunisher

dapunisher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 16-August 04

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

Or instead of stealing from someone else you could buy the subscription and donate it if you don't want it. ESPN will handle for you all of the details of getting it routed to a military base somewhere so the troops will get it. My magazines are sent to the USS Denver.

I prefer to donate something that they would actually want and not send them a crappy magazine.

#20 Clash of the Titans

Clash of the Titans

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

try this on for size........for 2.99 shipping and handling....you can get a Free Yearly Subscription to ESPN the Magazine, plus Bonus Access to ESPN.com's Insider Portal - Up to 3 Years Per Person

http://1saleaday.com/
The University of Alabama-Greatest Tradition in College Football History

We LOVE Coach Saban-Best Coach in Football!!!!

13 National Championships
1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009 BABY!

22 SEC Championships
1933, 1934, 1937, 1945, 1953, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2009

57 Bowl Appearances and 32 Bowl Victories

One Heisman Trophy Winner

102 First Team All-Americans

813 Wins in 113 Seasons

Loved or Hated....but Never Ignored.

#21 AB in DC

AB in DC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,166 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

try this on for size........for 2.99 shipping and handling....you can get a Free Yearly Subscription to ESPN the Magazine, plus Bonus Access to ESPN.com's Insider Portal - Up to 3 Years Per Person

Did anyone else try this? I did, but I never received anything.

#22 Sister Havana

Sister Havana

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,140 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:I have some, yes.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:24 PM

Did anyone else try this? I did, but I never received anything.

I didn't try that, but I do know that magazine subscriptions generally take 6-8 weeks to start. It's been just about 6 weeks since that was offered so it will probably start soon.
This site has prices for ESPN Magazine from a bunch of different sites - lowest listed for 1 year is $7.50.

I would not pay $45 for Insider, but I like having it as a perk with my magazine subscription.
It's not my post, but I wrote that post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users