Photo

play date etiquette - how to politely decline.....

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:16 AM

A month ago the mom of a kid in my son's kindegarten class called to ask if my son wanted to come over to their house after school for a couple of hours for a play date (yeah, I hate the term too, but it's what everyone calls it). It was kind of out of the blue because Charlie (my kid) never talks about Cole, but he's a friendly little guy who gets along with most kids so he said "sure, I'll go." So he went and while he didn't say he had a bad time, I could tell he wasn't all that into Cole. At this point we should have cut ties but as parents there is almost an implied obligation to reciprocate on these things. So we asked Charlie if he wanted to have Cole over some time, and agreeable fella that he is, he said sure. So a couple of weeks later the little nerd came over. My wife oversaw the visit and said they had absolutely nothing in common, basically played on their own for two hours, and then Cole went home. After this play date gone bad Charlie made it clear that while Cole is a nice enough kid, he had no interest in future get-togethers.Now this just came from Cole's mom:

Subject: Playdate?Hi Nigel-I hope you guys had a good vacation. We did, but I confess that I was glad for school to start again ;> Cole was wondering if Charlie wanted to come over for a playdate soon. Next Tuesday is an early release day (1pm) and would work well for us. Or this coming Thursday. Maybe for 2 hours or so? Let me know what Charlie would like to do!Cole's Mom

How do we tactfully get the point across that there is no love connection here?

#2 Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 441 posts
  • Joined 15-February 09

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

A month ago the mom of a kid in my son's kindegarten class called to ask if my son wanted to come over to their house after school for a couple of hours for a play date (yeah, I hate the term too, but it's what everyone calls it). It was kind of out of the blue because Charlie (my kid) never talks about Cole, but he's a friendly little guy who gets along with most kids so he said "sure, I'll go." So he went and while he didn't say he had a bad time, I could tell he wasn't all that into Cole. At this point we should have cut ties but as parents there is almost an implied obligation to reciprocate on these things. So we asked Charlie if he wanted to have Cole over some time, and agreeable fella that he is, he said sure. So a couple of weeks later the little nerd came over. My wife oversaw the visit and said they had absolutely nothing in common, basically played on their own for two hours, and then Cole went home. After this play date gone bad Charlie made it clear that while Cole is a nice enough kid, he had no interest in future get-togethers.Now this just came from Cole's mom:

Subject: Playdate?Hi Nigel-I hope you guys had a good vacation. We did, but I confess that I was glad for school to start again ;> Cole was wondering if Charlie wanted to come over for a playdate soon. Next Tuesday is an early release day (1pm) and would work well for us. Or this coming Thursday. Maybe for 2 hours or so? Let me know what Charlie would like to do!Cole's Mom

Tell them its not safe because because your son is on xanax and wine and might tear the kids face off and eat his hands.

#3 Balance

Balance

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5,308 posts
  • Joined 26-March 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

ignore it or give in and do it... then don't reciprocate

#4 Gamblor

Gamblor

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,626 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

Go but hint to your kid that if Cole ended up with a :rolleyes: it might not be bad for long term results.

#5 Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,813 posts
  • Joined 19-September 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:24 AM

how old are the kids? May explain why they don't play with each other which is normal until around 4

#6 sholditch

sholditch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,363 posts
  • Joined 29-July 05

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

Dear Cole's Mom

Your kid is ugly and stupid.

Peace
This world needs many, many more Chris Mortensens. Not less. —Keys Myaths

It is becoming very clear here in South Florida that Ricky will touch it at least 10-15 times a game.

#7 chook

chook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Joined 17-November 06

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

Go but hint to your kid that if Cole ended up with a :rolleyes: it might not be bad for long term results.

Yep. Either that, or get your kid to bring Cole a flower and make a pass at him in front of his dad.

When you fart is loud enough to make a animal curious you know probably gonna win burritos.

Wizards Of Aus - 2008 Can't Stand The Commish (Season VII) Dynasty Champions

#8 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

ignore it or give in and do it... then don't reciprocate

Can't make my son go. After Cole came to our house we asked Charlie if he wanted to play with him again and he specifically said "I don't know, but I definitely don't want to go to his house again." I don't know how we can possibly ignore it either, we see the her all the time at drop off and pick up. If she doesn't get a reply she'll definitely mention it when we see her next. Would be even more awkward trying to wiggle out of it in person - for all she knows the two of them are best buddies. We need to sent some kind of "no thanks" response. Big mistake having him to our house the first time around - could have ended it there. :)

#9 Verbal Kint

Verbal Kint

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,712 posts
  • Joined 02-August 05

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

What's Cole's mom look like? A photograph might be helpful.

If we had kid one day i could see us at the teacher conference with you asking alotta questions about our ratrugs and me sitting next to you offering support with my arm around you and I would have very serious look.

#10 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

how old are the kids? May explain why they don't play with each other which is normal until around 4

They're 6. My kid likes sports, and has other friends in class who like same and play at each other's houses all the time and have a blast together. This kid is more of a sci-fi/Lincoln Log guy which is fine, but not my kid's bag.

#11 QUEZILLA

QUEZILLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03
  • Interests::chainsaw:

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

This is obviously a ploy by the mother to get her nerd son some friends. You have two options, either be a #### and say no. Or, go along with something you don't want to do.

Kids go through stages. Most likely if your son is hanging out with a nerd it will get harder before it gets easier. He will likely get put into awkward situations with other bully kids who want to make fun of the nerd. Pretty much be forced to choose. Then again, if the kid and the family are good people then he may be worth building a good friendship with.

I am friends with a bunch of people that would have been considered "nerds" when they were in h.s. / middle school / elementary. These people can end up being really good friends, and they may let your son copy off of them in difficult classes.

You could always agree, but push it off a little.

Edited by QUEZILLA, 24 February 2009 - 07:34 AM.

#12 Reg Lllama of Brixton

Reg Lllama of Brixton

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,033 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

"Well I asked Charlie and he said 'not impressed'..."
Never trust a man who reads only one book.

#13 QUEZILLA

QUEZILLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

What's Cole's mom look like? A photograph might be helpful.

I like the way this guy thinks.

#14 The Commish

The Commish

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38,217 posts
  • Joined 19-May 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:35 AM

Just tell them that your son doesn't want to go to their house. What am I missing?

Romans 14: 1-10

1 Peter 3:15-16

You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical." - Bo Schembechler

#15 T Bell

T Bell

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,791 posts
  • Joined 30-August 06

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

I would get Studs to make the call for you. My only concern with that would me that Cole's Mama might be left with the impression that she just needs to have the right juice in her house, but it's worth the risk.

I hipple so you don't have to.

I :wub: nested quotes.

#16 Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,813 posts
  • Joined 19-September 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

They're 6. My kid likes sports, and has other friends in class who like same and play at each other's houses all the time and have a blast together. This kid is more of a sci-fi/Lincoln Log guy which is fine, but not my kid's bag.

Having differences isn't such a bad thing but if your kid doesn't want to play with this kid then don't. It is a sticky situation though. Could you set up a thing where there's more than a few kids?

#17 chook

chook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Joined 17-November 06

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Do they have a trash can?

When you fart is loud enough to make a animal curious you know probably gonna win burritos.

Wizards Of Aus - 2008 Can't Stand The Commish (Season VII) Dynasty Champions

#18 T Bell

T Bell

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,791 posts
  • Joined 30-August 06

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:38 AM

Have Charlie duct tape Cole's butt cheeks together, and then give Cole a flare gun.

I hipple so you don't have to.

I :wub: nested quotes.

#19 lord_helmet

lord_helmet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,058 posts
  • Joined 28-May 06

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

Just tell her the truth, you asked your kid and he said no. Maybe add that their kid seems like a good boy, but the two of them didnt appear to have much in common when you had him over. End of story ?
Ludicrous speed, go!

#20 =Smackdown=

=Smackdown=

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,018 posts
  • Joined 12-March 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

"This next couple of weeks will be very busy for us; unfortunately we will not have time for play dates. We've been so busy lately, we've decided to concentrate on family things for a while. I'll let you know when we're ready for play dates again since Charlie really seemed to enjoy Cole's company."

#21 fatguyinalittlecoat

fatguyinalittlecoat

Footballguy

• King of Smack
  • Pip
  • 27,398 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

Do you know whether Cole has had trouble making friends?

In second grade I put off doing a clay dinosaur diorama until the night before it was due. Still got a check-plus.

#22 sholditch

sholditch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,363 posts
  • Joined 29-July 05

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

Have Charlie duct tape Cole's butt cheeks together, and then give Cole a flare gun.

:D I knew I was checking this thread for a reason.
This world needs many, many more Chris Mortensens. Not less. —Keys Myaths

It is becoming very clear here in South Florida that Ricky will touch it at least 10-15 times a game.

#23 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,918 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

Tell her Charlie is grounded
Only morons read signatures

#24 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

Just tell her the truth, you asked your kid and he said no. Maybe add that their kid seems like a good boy, but the two of them didnt appear to have much in common when you had him over. End of story ?

Yeah, it will have to be something like that. It would be so much easier if they were d-bags but they're nice people and I'd hate to hurt feelings. Oh well, that's life I guess.

#25 QUEZILLA

QUEZILLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

Act like your one of those psycho sports dads, and say "sorry my son has to practice one on one everyday after school until try outs."

#26 Socrates11

Socrates11

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Joined 19-September 07

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

Dear Cole's Mom,

Charlie has some plans that day so we'll pass this time.

The missus and I were talking and we wanted to know if you and Cole's Dad wanted to come over some night for a 'play date'. BYOL of course.

Let us know!

Charlie's Dad.
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us."

#27 themeanmachine

themeanmachine

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 355 posts
  • Joined 24-September 04

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:49 AM

"This next couple of weeks will be very busy for us; unfortunately we will not have time for play dates. We've been so busy lately, we've decided to concentrate on family things for a while. I'll let you know when we're ready for play dates again since Charlie really seemed to enjoy Cole's company."

This might be the best approach. I have a 5-year-old who is probably more on the sci-fi/Lincoln Logs side. This is probably a good, tactful way of at least putting it off for now. Cole will probably get distracted and find other friends to play with that are more on his wavelength. If Cole's mom starts asking again in a couple of weeks you might just have to be straight-up with her, and then she'll have to communicate that to Cole in whatever manner she wants to handle it.

#28 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

Pretty sure that's the case based on what I've observed of him. Back in November, before all the playdate nonsense, Charlie had all the 8 boys in his class to the bowling alley for his birthday. Cole was definitely less socially mature than the others.

#29 lord_helmet

lord_helmet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,058 posts
  • Joined 28-May 06

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

Dear Cole's Mom,Charlie has some plans that day so we'll pass this time. The missus and I were talking and we wanted to know if you and Cole's Dad wanted to come over some night for a 'play date'. BYOL of course.Let us know!Charlie's Dad.

Winner. No feelings get hurt, playdate suggestions will stop and it even gives them something to talk about.
Ludicrous speed, go!

#30 fatguyinalittlecoat

fatguyinalittlecoat

Footballguy

• King of Smack
  • Pip
  • 27,398 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

Pretty sure that's the case based on what I've observed of him. Back in November, before all the playdate nonsense, Charlie had all the 8 boys in his class to the bowling alley for his birthday. Cole was definitely less socially mature than the others.

You know when you send your email you're going to make Cole's mother cry, right?

In second grade I put off doing a clay dinosaur diorama until the night before it was due. Still got a check-plus.

#31 =Smackdown=

=Smackdown=

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,018 posts
  • Joined 12-March 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

Dear Cole's Mom,Charlie has some plans that day so we'll pass this time. The missus and I were talking and we wanted to know if you and Cole's Dad wanted to come over some night for a 'play date'. BYOL of course.Let us know!Charlie's Dad.

Winner. No feelings get hurt, playdate suggestions will stop and it even gives them something to talk about.

What if they accept your "swinging" invitation?This is kind of liek the Seinfeld 3way dilemna.

Edited by =Smackdown=, 24 February 2009 - 07:57 AM.

#32 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:57 AM

You know when you send your email you're going to make Cole's mother cry, right?

Yeah, and I feel sick over it. I can imagine Cole giving his Mom the impression that they are best buddies, talking about him all the time. Meanwhile Charlie has four other buddies he talks about, and never mentions Cole. At teh end of the day if we said "Charlie, it might really hurt Cole's feelings if you don't go to his house" then I'm certain he would go - he's a sensitive kid. But is it fair to put him in that spot given he has explicitly said he doesn't want to go over there?

What would you do?

#33 lord_helmet

lord_helmet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,058 posts
  • Joined 28-May 06

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

What if they accept your "swinging" invitation?This is kind of liek the Seinfeld 3way dilemna.

See post #9
Ludicrous speed, go!

#34 fatguyinalittlecoat

fatguyinalittlecoat

Footballguy

• King of Smack
  • Pip
  • 27,398 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Yeah, and I feel sick over it. I can imagine Cole giving his Mom the impression that they are best buddies, talking about him all the time. Meanwhile Charlie has four other buddies he talks about, and never mentions Cole. At teh end of the day if we said "Charlie, it might really hurt Cole's feelings if you don't go to his house" then I'm certain he would go - he's a sensitive kid. But is it fair to put him in that spot given he has explicitly said he doesn't want to go over there?

What would you do?

I'd probably make my kid go, then do something nice for him. My kids would gladly spend a few hours with Satan himself if they got a lollipop afterwards.

#35 Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,813 posts
  • Joined 19-September 08

What would you do?

Was your kid flat out against going to his house?

#36 QUEZILLA

QUEZILLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

Have your kid cut his hair.

#37 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:03 AM

What would you do?

Yes, he said "I don't want to go to Cole's house again" - pretty clear.

#38 Jaysus

Jaysus

Good times!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,954 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03
  • Interests:pizza

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

I have no idea what the pro play here is, but I have to imagine it involves Chuck E. Cheese's is some way.

#39 QUEZILLA

QUEZILLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:08 AM

"My son doesn't want to go over there. All he want's to do is play xbox live, so if you want to exchange gamertags maybe they can have a cyber play date."

#40 pgreenfan

pgreenfan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,624 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:09 AM

I would wonder why the little guy is so set against Cole's house.
"That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops."

#41 QUEZILLA

QUEZILLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

I would wonder why the little guy is so set against Cole's house.

Did you miss the part about Cole being the biggest nerd around?

#42 chet

chet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,072 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

Can't make my son go.

:lmao:He's 6.
Whenever I pass a Prius, I downshift so they can hear me hurting the environment.

#43 Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,813 posts
  • Joined 19-September 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

What would you do?

Yes, he said "I don't want to go to Cole's house again" - pretty clear.

Got it well up to you, if you think it's a good idea for him to not go then don't but if you think it'll be good for him then instead invite this kid and a few others over.

#44 Verbal Kint

Verbal Kint

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,712 posts
  • Joined 02-August 05

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

What would you do?

I'd have to say that my 5 year old is a lot like Cole. He is very young for his class and seems to have a little trouble interacting with other kids. Not a huge issue, just a phase he probably will outgrow. A couple things I've observed:

-The social maturity between the oldest and youngest in a kindergarten class is dramatic. Other factors present, such as whether they have older siblings etc.
- Children of this age have begun to develop an intuitive understanding of social groups, but often can't verbalize it. In other words, Cole probably is aware that he isn't as close in friendship as his other classmates are to each other. But he has trouble telling his parents this or understanding why he is not part of the group.
- Exposing the child to more varied social interactions is the best way to give him the confidence and experience to deal with such situations. If Charlie is willing, it would be extremely beneficial for Cole to have a play date. To make it easier, maybe invite 1 other kid over.

There is nothing so heartbreaking as feeling like your child doesn't have any friends.

If we had kid one day i could see us at the teacher conference with you asking alotta questions about our ratrugs and me sitting next to you offering support with my arm around you and I would have very serious look.

#45 Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,813 posts
  • Joined 19-September 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

Since when did 6 year old kids NOT want to play with certain kids? I am thinking back to when I was a very young kid and I would NEVER turn down a chance to play with kids.

#46 KnowledgeReignsSupreme

KnowledgeReignsSupreme

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50,412 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Since when did 6 year old kids NOT want to play with certain kids? I am thinking back to when I was a very young kid and I would NEVER turn down a chance to play with kids.

Maybe you were the nerd that didn't have any friends. :coffee:

Nazis and Pirates don't have anything to do with each other.

"same as day 2693."

A guy I'd like to have sex with.

#47 Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,813 posts
  • Joined 19-September 08

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

Maybe you were the nerd that didn't have any friends. :coffee:

I had a ton of friends and to this day I have a vast difference in friends. Some love sports, some don't, some are nerds and some aren't, etc. I grew up in an age where you were told to play outside until the sun came down and was fortunate that a lot of kids lived on my block.

Edited by Walton Goggins, 24 February 2009 - 08:55 AM.

#48 NCCommish

NCCommish

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 74,836 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

Some kids are always cut out of the group. Never seen anything to suggest otherwise. I was a smart kid who also loved playing sports. I got along with the nerds and the jocks. And I have seen kids cut completely loose within a class. Being a bit on the sensitive side I would usually reach out to those kids. I can very distinctly remember kids that I was the one of the very few they had to invite over from school. I have been to some very small birthday parties.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Woody Allen

#49 NCCommish

NCCommish

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 74,836 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

What would you do?

Nige I would probably get Charlie to go. Well strike that I would make the playdate at my house. And I would try to have something planned both boys would like but wouldn't force them to make it happen on their own. But you can only do so much. If things don't start to thaw you have to tell them the truth as kindly as possible of course. Feelings will be hurt but Charlie can only do so much.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Woody Allen

#50 Nigel

Nigel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

Can't make my son go.

:popcorn:

He's 6.

I think you know what I meant, of course I could make him go. I can make him do pretty much anything.

I can't justify making him go. I guess I'll talk to him tonight, tell him why i think it might be a good idea to go, and let him choose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users