Photo

How much (on average) does a private hospital room cost?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

My wife is insistent on getting a private room for after she goes into labor (recovery room). I dont see what the big deal is but if the cost isnt too exhorbitant I dont mind doing it for her. Anybody do this? Do you have to reserve the room ahead of time? I tried finding answers on our hospital's website but didnt find anything helpful. Im sure when it comes closer to the day Ill do more research but I just wanted to get an idea in my head ahead of time to prepare myself.

Edited by shadyridr, 05 March 2009 - 07:42 AM.

Only morons read signatures

#2 snitwitch

snitwitch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,297 posts
  • Joined 19-August 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

We got a private room when we had our kid, though I am not sure how much it cost -- do they even want people in labor to share rooms?

I do know that the total bill from our delivery would have been 40k without health insurance.

Nah, only dead fish "go with the flow."

#3 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:12 AM

We got a private room when we had our kid, though I am not sure how much it cost -- do they even want people in labor to share rooms?I do know that the total bill from our delivery would have been 40k without health insurance.

Did your insurance company cover a private room?

#4 shake zula

shake zula

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,635 posts
  • Joined 25-February 05

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:13 AM

too much
It is the Broodwich, forged in darkness from wheat harvested in Hell's half-acre, baked by Beelzebub, slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chicken forced into sauce by the hands of a one-eyed madman, cheese boiled from the rancid teat of a fanged cow, layered with six-hundred and sixty-six separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood!

#5 RoarinSonoran

RoarinSonoran

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,806 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:16 AM

I don't remember what hospital costs would have been when my kids were born, but my wife was in the hospital for 3days/2nights after a traffic accident and received a "this is not a bill" statement for $20k. Hers was the only bed in the room, so I guess that would have been considered a "private room".

ETA: she was in the hospital this past December.

Edited by RoarinSonoran, 05 March 2009 - 07:17 AM.

Go Devils!!!
Go Vikings!!!

Hey, hey, I wanna be AM a Rockstar!

#6 snitwitch

snitwitch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,297 posts
  • Joined 19-August 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

We got a private room when we had our kid, though I am not sure how much it cost -- do they even want people in labor to share rooms?I do know that the total bill from our delivery would have been 40k without health insurance.

Did your insurance company cover a private room?

I am struggling to remember what the details were. I do not believe we paid extra to get any special type of room, and didn't pay anything beyond the deductible / a few hundred bucks.I think there's a difference between the labor/delivery room (which is private? at least I can't imagine going through all that with another screaming woman in the next bed) and the recovery room where you stay after the baby is born. I think if we paid anything it would have been to have that recovery room be private.

Nah, only dead fish "go with the flow."

#7 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,353 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

Private room for labor or recovery? Where we had our kids, all labor and delivery rooms were private. Recovery rooms were either shared (covered by insurance) or private (not convered by insurance). I believe we payed $100/night for a private room. Well worth it, IMO.

#8 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,353 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

Also, where my wife delivered, we just checked a box on the registration forms saying we'd like a private recovery room. Once one was available, we got one.

#9 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61,560 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

For minor recoveries a deluxe suite & a private nurse comes out cheaper.
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#10 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

I was talking about the recovery room. $100/night is worth it IMO. I guess I'll call the hospital to find out.

#11 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,185 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03
  • Interests:Bottom

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

I was talking about the recovery room. $100/night is worth it IMO. I guess I'll call the hospital to find out.

You'll only be in recovery 2 nights for a VB. 3 for a C. YMMVThat being said 100 extra seems kinduv low for a suite/private. The hospital I was at was all private rooms. They were shoeboxes that you could barely turn around in, but were private. Private rooms in hospitals are probably overrated given people will barge in on you 2-3x an hour anyways. Though I don't know if I could deal with two newborns in the room at the same time plus all the family visitors coming and going.

#12 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

private rooms at our hospital sound suite

Our recently renovated private rooms include new, state-of-the art beds, private refrigerators, reclining chairs, private baths and accommodations for the new father, all at a nominal fee.

#13 mr. furley

mr. furley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53,558 posts
  • Joined 22-February 05

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

w/ OK insurance our total labor & delivery cost was around 3500

we stayed from Friday night until Monday morning.

YMMV

eta: and we had a pretty swank room. same setup as yours will have from the looks of your last post.

Edited by mr. furley, 05 March 2009 - 08:09 AM.

#14 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

w/ OK insurance our total labor & delivery cost was around 3500we stayed from Friday night until Monday morning.YMMVeta: and we had a pretty swank room. same setup as yours will have from the looks of your last post.

They have a pic of it on the website. It looks like a friggin hotel room.BTW you paid 3500 out of pocket or you mean insurance picked up most of that tab?

#15 goldenchild

goldenchild

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Joined 16-August 05

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

We've had 2 children within the last 2 years and both times we've had private rooms (whatever our insurance covered). I think we had to pay $200-$250 or something like that for the entire thing (deductible?).

Our hospital had a certain number of single (private) rooms and a certain number of doubles. A friend of ours is a nurse in the L&D there and she said they basically fill up the singles (1st come 1st serve), and then put one mother in each of the doubles until there were no more empty ones before doubling back and pairing people up.

I've never heard of this option to pay out of pocket specifically for the rooms.

#16 Exit 1

Exit 1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,080 posts
  • Joined 03-April 08

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

My wife had a private room for our first and only kid. Didn't know there was a such thing as having more than one woman recovering in a room at a time.

:confused:
The demographics of this place don't match up with me. I'm not some guy who married my high school sweetheart. I don't have a boring job with benefits that puts food on the table for my family. I didn't buy a house is some #### hole suburb where my neighbors house is 3 feet from mine. I'm 35 and I look like I'm 25. I'm still in shape, I have a full head of hair unlike most of you. I'm not fat. I don't eat buffalo wings twice a week. I don't own a pair of Zubas. I can and do score chicks that most of you would not have any chance of sleeping with....ever. This isn't shtick. It's my life. It's funny but at the height of my drug use I had beautiful women giving my their numbers. I was asked out constantly. And then most of you get to go home to your wives who havent slept with you in months. She's overweight and unhappy. She complains constantly and you secretly despise her. But you stay and let her boss you around. You're miserable but you're doing it for the children.

#17 BobbyLayne

BobbyLayne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,303 posts
  • Joined 21-November 07

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

My wife is insistent on getting a private room for after she goes into labor (recovery room). I dont see what the big deal is but if the cost isnt too exhorbitant I dont mind doing it for her. Anybody do this? Do you have to reserve the room ahead of time? I tried finding answers on our hospital's website but didnt find anything helpful. Im sure when it comes closer to the day Ill do more research but I just wanted to get an idea in my head ahead of time to prepare myself.

We had a baby in October, the private room was $800 a night at Roosevelt-St Lukes in midtown, insurance covered none of it.

Tom Ricketts, a member of the family that owns the Chicago Cubs is often approached by elderly fans who ask, “Will the Cubs win the World Series before I die?”

His reply? “Are you taking good care of yourself? Do you eat right? Are you getting your exercise?”

#18 BobbyLayne

BobbyLayne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,303 posts
  • Joined 21-November 07

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

BTW - labor & delivery was all covered, so the private room was the only thing we paid out of pocket.

Tom Ricketts, a member of the family that owns the Chicago Cubs is often approached by elderly fans who ask, “Will the Cubs win the World Series before I die?”

His reply? “Are you taking good care of yourself? Do you eat right? Are you getting your exercise?”

#19 Exit 1

Exit 1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,080 posts
  • Joined 03-April 08

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

I just IM'ed my wife, she said it was $400. Everything else was covered.
The demographics of this place don't match up with me. I'm not some guy who married my high school sweetheart. I don't have a boring job with benefits that puts food on the table for my family. I didn't buy a house is some #### hole suburb where my neighbors house is 3 feet from mine. I'm 35 and I look like I'm 25. I'm still in shape, I have a full head of hair unlike most of you. I'm not fat. I don't eat buffalo wings twice a week. I don't own a pair of Zubas. I can and do score chicks that most of you would not have any chance of sleeping with....ever. This isn't shtick. It's my life. It's funny but at the height of my drug use I had beautiful women giving my their numbers. I was asked out constantly. And then most of you get to go home to your wives who havent slept with you in months. She's overweight and unhappy. She complains constantly and you secretly despise her. But you stay and let her boss you around. You're miserable but you're doing it for the children.

#20 mr. furley

mr. furley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53,558 posts
  • Joined 22-February 05

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

w/ OK insurance our total labor & delivery cost was around 3500we stayed from Friday night until Monday morning.YMMVeta: and we had a pretty swank room. same setup as yours will have from the looks of your last post.

They have a pic of it on the website. It looks like a friggin hotel room.BTW you paid 3500 out of pocket or you mean insurance picked up most of that tab?

yeah. insurance covered a lot of it. i think if we had to pay all out of pocket it would have been well over 20k. w/ insurance we wound up paying appx 3500 out of pocket after all the bills finally stopped rolling in about 3-4 months after birth (kid is 6 months old now).no idea what the individual room cost. it was 3500 for all including lodging, drugs, etc.

Edited by mr. furley, 05 March 2009 - 09:29 AM.

#21 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

yeah. insurance covered a lot of it. i think if we had to pay all out of pocket it would have been well over 20k. w/ insurance we wound up paying appx 3500 out of pocket after all the bills finally stopped rolling in about 3-4 months after birth (kid is 6 months old now).no idea what the individual room cost. it was 3500 for all including lodging, drugs, etc.

wow that sounds like alot of money. I figured insurance would pick up most of the tab (except for copayments and room, etc)

#22 goldenchild

goldenchild

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Joined 16-August 05

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

My wife had a private room for our first and only kid. Didn't know there was a such thing as having more than one woman recovering in a room at a time. :lmao:

:lol:from what i heard, it's teh suck... you can only have the daddy in the room during the day and when the other mother is okay with it. and you can't sleep in the room overnight. at least that was how things were at our hospital.

#23 Reaper

Reaper

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,612 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

We were at NY Presbyterian on 61st st and it definitely wasn't $100 otherwise everyone would do it...I have to think it was more like $400 or so Plus and certainly not covered by insurance.... I'll ask though...I just googled it an I think it's $650..... That's more like it.

#24 Reaper

Reaper

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,612 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

My wife had a private room for our first and only kid. Didn't know there was a such thing as having more than one woman recovering in a room at a time. :hot:

:bag:from what i heard, it's teh suck... you can only have the daddy in the room during the day and when the other mother is okay with it. and you can't sleep in the room overnight. at least that was how things were at our hospital.

It wasn' tlike that for us at all.. As long as the other person doesn't mind, you can sleep there - and the room has a divider... I went home (and to a bar!!!)During the day I stayed there as long as I wanted and had as many people as we wanted.

#25 mr. furley

mr. furley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53,558 posts
  • Joined 22-February 05

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

wow that sounds like alot of money. I figured insurance would pick up most of the tab (except for copayments and room, etc)

seems to be about the going rate around here :thumbup: 3 people we know had kids within a half-year of us. all said between 3-4k.

#26 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,185 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03
  • Interests:Bottom

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

seems to be about the going rate around here :banned: 3 people we know had kids within a half-year of us. all said between 3-4k.

Hospitals would not be able to function in this country if it wasn't for obstetrics and cardiology.

#27 Heavy B

Heavy B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,272 posts
  • Joined 06-August 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Cost me $100.00/night extra last year.

Definitely worth it. But that was for a normal room...not sure on the recovery room issue. Good luck.

Edited by Heavy B, 05 March 2009 - 07:01 PM.

#28 Steel Dillo

Steel Dillo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

If you want a good estimate of what your cost will be, call the registration office at the hospital. If they're worth a damn, you can give them your insurance info & they can give you an estimate of what your charges will be based on an average delivery. It won't be exact, but it should be close.

It's going to vary greatly by hospital. If you live in an area with multi hospitals, find out which ones your wifes OB does deliveries at and give them all a call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users