What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your opinion on the job that President Obama is doing so far (1 Viewer)

Your opinion on the job that President Obama is doing so far

• strongly approve

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • mildly approve

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • mildly disapprove

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • strongly disapprove

Votes: 121 50.0%
  • neutral/no opinion

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
There is something that pains me to see people "strongly disapproving" of Obama and yet somehow we voted Bush into office twice. In a lot of ways I guess it's to be expected given the monumental expectations for Obama, but when you look at the state of the things when he took over, I mean, come on. Did we really just expect that little from Bush?

I have friends here in NYC (many in the financial industry) 1) complaining about bailouts (many of which saved their jobs), 2) complaining about "all the new taxes", and 3) complaining about the state of the economy.

Just out of curiosity - for those of you who disapprove, what would you have had him do instead? And what about his administration so far is it that you disapprove of most?

(For the record, I voted mildly approve, as I think there are certain situations he could have handled better)

Just out of curiosity - for those of you who disapprove, what would you have had him do instead? And what about his administration so far is it that you disapprove of most?
Show that he recognizes that even though certain elements of the private sector are to blame for our current state, that not ALL is to blame and that they still hold the key to our recovery.As a corollary, recognize that certain elements of government ARE to blame for our current state and that government isn't the ONLY answer to our problems.I think Geithner has been a disaster and the more that he hints of government intruding into the private sector the worse things will continue to get.

There is something that pains me to see people "strongly disapproving" of Obama and yet somehow we voted Bush into office twice. In a lot of ways I guess it's to be expected given the monumental expectations for Obama, but when you look at the state of the things when he took over, I mean, come on. Did we really just expect that little from Bush?I have friends here in NYC (many in the financial industry) 1) complaining about bailouts (many of which saved their jobs), 2) complaining about "all the new taxes", and 3) complaining about the state of the economy. Just out of curiosity - for those of you who disapprove, what would you have had him do instead? And what about his administration so far is it that you disapprove of most?(For the record, I voted mildly approve, as I think there are certain situations he could have handled better)
8 posts before we got the "How can you be against Obama if you liked Bush" defense. Well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Show that he recognizes that even though certain elements of the private sector are to blame for our current state, that not ALL is to blame and that they still hold the key to our recovery.As a corollary, recognize that certain elements of government ARE to blame for our current state and that government isn't the ONLY answer to our problems.I think Geithner has been a disaster and the more that he hints of government intruding into the private sector the worse things will continue to get.
Another :cool: One of the things I'm surprised he hasn't been on top of is the selection of appointees. Geithner is basically running the show on his own, and that's just not right. Give the man some help.

There is something that pains me to see people "strongly disapproving" of Obama and yet somehow we voted Bush into office twice. In a lot of ways I guess it's to be expected given the monumental expectations for Obama, but when you look at the state of the things when he took over, I mean, come on. Did we really just expect that little from Bush?I have friends here in NYC (many in the financial industry) 1) complaining about bailouts (many of which saved their jobs), 2) complaining about "all the new taxes", and 3) complaining about the state of the economy. Just out of curiosity - for those of you who disapprove, what would you have had him do instead? And what about his administration so far is it that you disapprove of most?(For the record, I voted mildly approve, as I think there are certain situations he could have handled better)
Be the man of character and conviction that he said he was during the campaign. It's been completely absent and he looks just like any other politician already. At some point it would be nice to have a person of character in the office, but it looks like this broken electoral system makes that impossible now.

It's like dating a girl that just got out of a long term, unhealthy relationship. Whenever you do something wrong (that she doesn't like), you remind her of the way things were in the past relationship.Sad, really.

8 posts before we got the "How can you be against Obama if you liked Bush" defense. Well done.
Uh, no. 1) I'm not sure you got that right - I wouldn't expect many Bush supporters to be supporters of Obama, and vice versa.2) I didn't "defend" Obama, and in fact I said I think there are situations he could have handled better. Political lines aside, there has been strong disapproval for Bush's administration, the point where he's been called the worst president ever. So, my point was about expectations - did we just expect more from Obama that we all strongly disapprove? Or are we just ignoring the circumstances that led us to our current predicament? 3) I posed a number of questions to engage in a dialogue on what you thought he could/should have done differently, which you chose not to answer.

Obama likes to have plenty of face time. He seems pretty intent on promoting his Superstar Savior status. A legion of worshipers in the media combined with the "someone other than Bush" herd mentality of the general public has created the perfect storm.

It concerned me before the election. It concerns me even more now.

Can I get a list of what he's actually done so far?
Leno and he got a nice NCAA bracket
A serious list.
Those 2 things above and flung our country in communism, Comrade KRS.Obama has been a total ###### for the country so far, and they can no longer blame a thing on Bush. So glad I am in Utah right now, where conservatism reigns supreme.
Perhaps ironically, many economists agree that nationalization of (some of) the banks would have been the best answer in the short term - and provide the best possible returns for the taxpayers - but that was a political pill no one wanted to swallow. I still fail to see how anyone can "no longer blame a thing on Bush". The situation we're in wasn't manufactured overnight and is the result of a lot of things - not the least of which is poor regulatory oversight, unchecked greed, lack of accountability. These stem back into the Bush and even Clinton administrations. I do find it funny listening to the capitalists on Wall St begging for the bailouts - the same ones who I hear complain about taxes etc. Real capitalism means you let the weak companies fail - but they change their tune when it's their survival.

Zogby Poll Finds Business Leaders Not Happy with Obama's First 60 Days

Question 1: In regard to the bank rescue plans and economic

stimulus, do you feel the Obama administration is trying to do too

much, is disorganized, needs more time, or is right on target?

Fifty percent of business leaders think the Obama administration is

disorganized, while only 10 percent think it is "right on target."

Twenty-eight percent think the Obama administration needs more

time, another 10 percent think it's trying to do too much, and one

percent are "not sure."

Question 2: How do you rate President Obama's efforts to free up

credit markets in his first 60 days?

Fifty-two percent of business leaders rate Obama's effort as

"poor," while only 15 percent say it is "excellent." Twenty-two

percent give Obama a "good" rating and 10 percent say "fair" (one

percent are not sure).

Question 3: Do you think the budget recently proposed by President

Obama spends too much, not enough, or the right amount?

A solid 62 percent majority think President Obama's budget spends

too much, while only 13 percent say "not enough." Only 16 percent

of business leaders think it spends the right amount, and nine

percent are not sure.

Question 4: The Employee Free Choice Act is a proposed bill that

would effectively eliminate the secret ballot used by workers in

deciding whether or not their plant, business, or small business

should be unionized. Do you favor or oppose the bill?

Seventy-two percent of business leaders oppose this bill, which

Obama supports. Only 19 percent favor the bill, and 10 percent are

not sure.

Question 5: Do you agree or disagree that President Obama's

proposed tax hikes for those making $250,000 or more will hurt

businesses, forcing them to lay-off employees?

Fifty-two percent of business leaders agree that Obama's tax hikes

will hurt businesses and increase unemployment; while 42 percent

disagree (six percent are not sure).

It's like dating a girl that just got out of a long term, unhealthy relationship. Whenever you do something wrong (that she doesn't like), you remind her of the way things were in the past relationship.Sad, really.
More like you dump a whore that is cheating on you and has herpes, and talk about how great your new cheating whore is because she doesn't have herpes. And every time one of your buddies reminds you that she's still a cheating whore, you use the cheating whore with herpes as a basis for comparison to explain how terrific she really is.If Obama was so terrific, his supporters wouldn't need to keep bringing up the cheating whore with herpes. He'd prove to be terrific on his own merits.

Just pathetic :confused:
Obama could give the wealthy a big tax break, expel all immigrants (legal or illegal), cut off welfare to all citizens, bleach his skin white (ala Michael Jackson) and you would still be calling him a blouse or whatever your dumb one syllable word of the week is.

Obama could give the wealthy a big tax break, expel all immigrants (legal or illegal), cut off welfare to all citizens, bleach his skin white (ala Michael Jackson) and you would still be calling him a blouse or whatever your dumb one syllable word of the week is.
Obama could murder several citizens in broad daylight and a number of people here would try and compare it to the war in Iraq. So, it's fair enough.

Obama could murder several citizens in broad daylight and a number of people here would try and compare it to the war in Iraq. So, it's fair enough.
Sigh. I should have known better than to dip my toes in a political discussion in the FFA. I forgot rational discourse was simply not possible.

Generally happy with his performance. A little shaky with the appointments. But I can't say I strongly approve because the unholy amount of dollars he's spending. It's frightening. So I said "mildly approve".

He's not spending enough money. No shtick. For that he gets just a mildly approving pat on the behind.

More like you dump a whore that is cheating on you and has herpes, and talk about how great your new cheating whore is because she doesn't have herpes. And every time one of your buddies reminds you that she's still a cheating whore, you use the cheating whore with herpes as a basis for comparison to explain how terrific she really is.If Obama was so terrific, his supporters wouldn't need to keep bringing up the cheating whore with herpes. He'd prove to be terrific on his own merits.
Uh, ok, so you don't like politicians then? In any case, I think you're mixing up analogies. Who mentioned herpes? Is that new Godwin's Law?And please note, I didn't say he was "so terrific", that he was doing a perfect job, or even that I believe in many of the things he's done so far. I just find it curious that so many are willing to put the blame entirely on the new administration when clearly the problems go back well more than 2 months. Especially with expectations going in, he was kind of effed either way... dealt a ####ty hand, and anything he does is going to piss someone off.And so back to my serious question - for those who "seriously disapprove" of Obama, did you approve of the job that Bush did?

There is something that pains me to see people "strongly disapproving" of Obama and yet somehow we voted Bush into office twice. In a lot of ways I guess it's to be expected given the monumental expectations for Obama, but when you look at the state of the things when he took over, I mean, come on. Did we really just expect that little from Bush?

I have friends here in NYC (many in the financial industry) 1) complaining about bailouts (many of which saved their jobs), 2) complaining about "all the new taxes", and 3) complaining about the state of the economy.

(For the record, I voted mildly approve, as I think there are certain situations he could have handled better)
Uh, ok, so you don't like politicians then? In any case, I think you're mixing up analogies. Who mentioned herpes? Is that new Godwin's Law?And please note, I didn't say he was "so terrific", that he was doing a perfect job, or even that I believe in many of the things he's done so far. I just find it curious that so many are willing to put the blame entirely on the new administration when clearly the problems go back well more than 2 months. Especially with expectations going in, he was kind of effed either way... dealt a ####ty hand, and anything he does is going to piss someone off.

And so back to my serious question - for those who "seriously disapprove" of Obama, did you approve of the job that Bush did?
Going off of THIS I approve of the former more than the later.To be clear, Bush sucked as a fiscal conservative. So I didn't approve of the fiscal numbers he produced. But to blame Bush for the numbers Obama is producing is bullcrap. How in the world does the fed have the money for a $700 billion down payment on a government health care plan? The government just spent $1.5 trillion on bailouts (both Bush and Obama... note it wasn't just Bush). Now is not the time for $700 billion projects. The guy operates like it's impossible for the country to go bankrupt. We're not!

can we get away from the partisan bickering for a second and just stick to the question at hand. We don't have to get into the petty stuff.

here's my take. I didn't vote for him. But after he was elected I was hoping he'd show some promise of actually performing in a way that lived up remotely to the hype surroounding his "historic" election and a new "post partisan" way of getting things done. But in actuality the very first thing he accomplished in office was to target the opposition and ram through a completely partisan massive spending package. The famous quote "I won" as he told the Republican caucus they could get on board or sit it out. That's fine, after all he did win, but if you're going to say one thing and do another, don't complain if it blows up in your face. I've seen a lot of that from the Obama team, a lot of announcing one thing to the media, while doing another thing in reality. IN this regard, he's no different than any other politician, he's calculating and scheming and playing the game. So one of the ideas of his election is completely meaningless at this point.

As for him being a performer, someone that leads effectively and sets a good tone for the nation, so far I've seen a lot of amateurism and fingerpointing, a lot of telling us how dire the economy is then coming out after the stimulus bill passed and saying "maybe its not that bad". It seems like he's more concerned about passing his agenda through scare tactics and fearmongering than actually doing whats best for the country. For that I see him as no different than **** Cheney talking about nukes over Washington DC. So far i"d give his administration an F.

So I'm supposed to believe that ALL of the conservatives strongly disapprove, AND that the people whose taxes he's raising think that he shouldn't raise THEIR taxes? This poll proves everything we never knew!

can we get away from the partisan bickering for a second and just stick to the question at hand. We don't have to get into the petty stuff.

here's my take. I didn't vote for him. But after he was elected I was hoping he'd show some promise of actually performing in a way that lived up remotely to the hype surroounding his "historic" election and a new "post partisan" way of getting things done. But in actuality the very first thing he accomplished in office was to target the opposition and ram through a completely non partisan massive spending package. The famous quote "I won" as he told the Republican caucus they could get on board or sit it out. That's fine, after all he did win, but if you're going to say one thing and do another, don't complain if it blows up in your face. I've seen a lot of that from the Obama team, a lot of announcing one thing to the media, while doing another thing in reality. IN this regard, he's no different than any other politician, he's calculating and scheming and playing the game. So one of the ideas of his election is completely meaningless at this point.

As for him being a performer, someone that leads effectively and sets a good tone for the nation, so far I've seen a lot of amateurism and fingerpointing, a lot of telling us how dire the economy is then coming out after the stimulus bill passed and saying "maybe its not that bad". It seems like he's more concerned about passing his agenda through scare tactics and fearmongering than actually doing whats best for the country. For that I see him as no different than **** Cheney talking about nukes over Washington DC. So far i"d give his administration an F.
So you would advocate cutting spending in a recession? Interesting...

Can I get a list of what he's actually done so far?
Leno and he got a nice NCAA bracket
A serious list.
Those 2 things above and flung our country in communism, Comrade KRS.Obama has been a total ###### for the country so far, and they can no longer blame a thing on Bush. So glad I am in Utah right now, where conservatism reigns supreme.
Perhaps ironically, many economists agree that nationalization of (some of) the banks would have been the best answer in the short term - and provide the best possible returns for the taxpayers - but that was a political pill no one wanted to swallow. I still fail to see how anyone can "no longer blame a thing on Bush". The situation we're in wasn't manufactured overnight and is the result of a lot of things - not the least of which is poor regulatory oversight, unchecked greed, lack of accountability. These stem back into the Bush and even Clinton administrations. I do find it funny listening to the capitalists on Wall St begging for the bailouts - the same ones who I hear complain about taxes etc. Real capitalism means you let the weak companies fail - but they change their tune when it's their survival.
And will you hear any govt officials taking it back to Clinton right now? No, they feel they can just say "Bush's fault" to any damn thing they want right now and be justified to do whatever they feel right. This joke of a Treasury secretary asking Congress for rights that are so very unconstitutional is just the tip of the iceberg to the socialist hell this government is trying to lead us down, and the instead of giving any real reason, they just blame Bush and move on when they were EVERY bit as guilty for what happened.

I was on the fence until marijuanagate. I can't believe he would neglect and make fun of the online community which practically put him in office. Not to mention he previously said he was for the decriminalization and eventual legalization of marijuana. :hey:

Users who are viewing this thread