What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Ray Rice, Willis McGahee & Le'Ron McClain (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2009 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. Last year, we published more than 120 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters. This year will be no different.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Ray Rice, Willis McGahee & Le'Ron McClain, RBs, Baltimore Ravens

Player Page Link: Ray Rice Player Page

Player Page Link: Willis McGahee Player Page

Player Page Link: Le'Ron McClain Player Page

Each article will include:

Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads
FBG Projections
Consensus Member ProjectionsThe Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

Focus commentary on the player in question, and your expectations for said player
Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
To be included in the final synopsis and consensus outlook, you MUST provide projections for the playerProjections should include (at a minimum):

For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDsNow let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

I have made a couple of trades in the offseason to get Ray Rice on every team I have and I think he is going to have a very good year this year.

1) Balt is going to run the ball alot

2) The have a very good oline

3) Ray has a very nice blend of speed and power

4) He is a three down back

5) I love his determination

I look at Rice being the guy in Balt and I think he has a chance to put up top 12-15 #'s

He is my #1 sleeper and I think he is a steal at his current ranking of the 41st rb being taken (106 overall)

I will own him in every draft I do while trying to target him in the 8th or 9th round.

Projections:

240 carries

1020 yards

4.2 avg.

9 td's

40 catches

300 yards

7.6 avg

1 td

1300 and 10 td's with even more upside IMO

Once McGahee is gone in 2010 (for dynasty owners) I see him as top ten guy

The Ravens offensive players are very difficult to project in 09. The FBG boards are strong in their support of Ray Rice coming out as the RB leader, but even considering how fast things change, I have a hard time buying this transition for this year. A look at last year's stats

McClain 233 rushes for 902 yards 3.9 ypc 30 targets 19 catches 123 yards 6.5 ypc and 11 TDs

McGahee 170 rushes for 671 yards 3.9 ypc 32 targets 24 catches 173 yards 7.2 ypc and 7 TDs

Ray Rice 107 rushes for 454 yards 4.2 ypc 43 targets 33 catches 273 yards 8.3 ypc and 0 TDs

The statistics indicate that the Ravens clearly favored the other two over Rice at the goal line and in most situations. Rice got more opportunities in the passing situations and that should continue this year. I see no reason to think that the Ravens will remove what was their bread and butter in the red zone. I also see that the other two were as effective running the ball and will have a role, even if it is reduced. In dynasty, now is the time to act in regards to Rice, but I just don't see where he should be a target in redrafts. The ADPs for the three include Rice at RB36 and 95 overall, McGahee at RB38 and 99 overall and McClain (who has been moved to FB) at RB44 and 111 overall.

I think that their RB is also fairly indicative of expectations. If you have confidence that one of the three will lead the way in 09, then by all means pull the trigger as you will achieve significant value. I just see a three headed RBBC with McClain getting a lot of short yardage and goal line opportunities.

Ray Rice 180 carries for 756 yards 4.2 ypc 45 targets 30 catches 225 yards 7.5 ypc and 5 TDs

McGahee 180 carries for 738 yards 4.1 ypc 30 targets 22 catches 158 yards 7.2 ypc and 6 TDs

McClain 140 carries for 504 yards 3.6 ypc 14 targets 9 catches 56 yards 7.0 ypc and 7 TDs

Ray Rice 180 carries for 756 yards 4.2 ypc 45 targets 30 catches 225 yards 7.5 ypc and 5 TDsMcGahee 180 carries for 738 yards 4.1 ypc 30 targets 22 catches 158 yards 7.2 ypc and 6 TDsMcClain 140 carries for 504 yards 3.6 ypc 14 targets 9 catches 56 yards 7.0 ypc and 7 TDs
McGahee has had only one year in his career where he average at least 4.1 pc. He's older and I don't see that happening this year. Also, wasn't McClain moved to fullback? He may only get about 50-75 carries.

Ray Rice 180 carries for 756 yards 4.2 ypc 45 targets 30 catches 225 yards 7.5 ypc and 5 TDsMcGahee 180 carries for 738 yards 4.1 ypc 30 targets 22 catches 158 yards 7.2 ypc and 6 TDsMcClain 140 carries for 504 yards 3.6 ypc 14 targets 9 catches 56 yards 7.0 ypc and 7 TDs
McGahee has had only one year in his career where he average at least 4.1 pc. He's older and I don't see that happening this year. Also, wasn't McClain moved to fullback? He may only get about 50-75 carries.
I think that the Ravens OL will be improved over a year ago with the additions of rookie 1st rounder Michael Oher from Ole Miss and the free agent signing of Matt Birk. I also think that the reduced usage will McGahee fresher and able to increase his career average with Baltimore from 4.04 all the way up to 4.1.

I kind of think they may want to showcase McGahee a bit in the early part of the season to try to get SOMETHING for him in trade? This of course relies on him being healthy. I have nothing to back this up, just a gut feeling.

I also don't think that McClain is going to get more touches than people think he will. Why would they change much of what worked so well for them last year? I do think that if Mason stays retired that Rice is going to get a lot more looks in the passing game

McClain 220 carries 4.2ypc 924 yards 8 TDs / 10 catches 6ypc 60 yards 0 TDs

Rice 200 carries 4.5 ypc 900 yards 5 TDs / 45 catches 8ypc 360 yards 4 TDs

McGahee 60 carries 3.9 ypc 234 yards 2 TDs / 10 catches 7ypc 70 yards 0 TDs

There is no right or wrong here, just some guessing...so I will advocate the best value lies in selecting the RB who had nearly half of the teams carries inside the 20 in 2008, was the most efficient scorer for his team on the ground inside the 5 yard line, averaged 5.7 YPC on running plays up the middle, and was targeted 7% of the time out of the backfield...additionally this player is historically (admittedly, with the exception of last season) the most efficient runner on his team.

That's right...I will go out on a limb and say McGahee comes back in a big way for a career season.

The OL has been upgraded, and Flacco was far from a stud last season (although he did perform better in the 2nd half), so they should continue to run. The DEF should continue to keep them in games, and CCameron is historically RB friendly (BAL had the 9th best FF scoring RB squad last season, FBG scoring). There is no reason to believe that whoever lands the starting RB can't hold it down, especially without having to face Pittsburgh's DEF until week 12.

Even if I am wrong, there is nothing to lose in drafting him (he is being drafted AFTER RRice in many leagues as evidenced by his ADP of RB39).

Sure there is a chance that McClain vultures TDs and Rice should be the 3rd down back and will may more targets in 2009. I still think that as a potential RB4 on a roster, McGahee is the guy to have. Assuming he gets the starting job after camp, he should hold onto the job all season long with the best YPC of his career thanks to what should be the best OL he has ever run behind (the improved YPC will keep Rice off the field, even if he is a little better). Additionally, as a result (being in a Cam Cameron offense) you are likely looking at 12-13% of the teams passing targets (40+ recs)

Some food for thought...In 2008, the BAL offense ran the ball 423 times on 1st and 2nd down outside of their opponents 20, Rice getting 95 carries (22%). I continue to see Rice as a change of pace and 3rd down back in 2009 (and I think BAL does as well as evidenced by him only running the ball up the middle 16 times last season for 2.4 YPC). With that logic in mind, it is fair to think (if you are so inclined) that if last years percentages hold true, and McClain is returned to the role of TD-vulturing FB, the math looks like this:

-1000 total offensive plays...55% run (550 plays), 45% pass (450 plays)

-72% of the runs for the season are outside the opponents 20 (396 plays)

----Rice, as the change of pace back, will garner a quarter of those opportunities (99 carries)

----that leaves 297 carries for the teams starting RB (in this scenario, McGahee) outside of the opponents 20 yard line

Sure, these stats/numbers may be a reach, but we don't have to reach to get him on our rosters. It costs you almost nothing. There is no other RB at and ADP of 35+ (Rice included) that has a ceiling this high without relying on another player getting injured.

I see it shaking out like this...

McGahee: 330-1353-7, 41-304-2

Rice: 99-446-2, 27-189-1

McClain: 90-427-7, 27-202-0

FYI: Keep in mind...the Ravens face Chicago and Pittsburgh weeks 15 and 16, so don't count on a lot of points from any of these guys come FF Playoff time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no right or wrong here, just some guessing...so I will advocate the best value lies in selecting the RB who had nearly half of the teams carries inside the 20 in 2008, was the most efficient scorer for his team on the ground inside the 5 yard line, averaged 5.7 YPC on running plays up the middle, and was targeted 7% of the time out of the backfield...additionally this player is historically (admittedly, with the exception of last season) the most efficient runner on his team.That's right...I will go out on a limb and say McGahee comes back in a big way for a career season.The OL has been upgraded, and Flacco was far from a stud last season (although he did perform better in the 2nd half), so they should continue to run. The DEF should continue to keep them in games, and CCameron is historically RB friendly (BAL had the 9th best FF scoring RB squad last season, FBG scoring). There is no reason to believe that whoever lands the starting RB can't hold it down, especially without having to face Pittsburgh's DEF until week 12.Even if I am wrong, there is nothing to lose in drafting him (he is being drafted AFTER RRice in many leagues as evidenced by his ADP of RB39). Sure there is a chance that McClain vultures TDs and Rice should be the 3rd down back and will may more targets in 2009. I still think that as a potential RB4 on a roster, McGahee is the guy to have. Assuming he gets the starting job after camp, he should hold onto the job all season long with the best YPC of his career thanks to what should be the best OL he has ever run behind (the improved YPC will keep Rice off the field, even if he is a little better). Additionally, as a result (being in a Cam Cameron offense) you are likely looking at 12-13% of the teams passing targets (40+ recs) Some food for thought...In 2008, the BAL offense ran the ball 423 times on 1st and 2nd down outside of their opponents 20, Rice getting 95 carries (22%). I continue to see Rice as a change of pace and 3rd down back in 2009 (and I think BAL does as well as evidenced by him only running the ball up the middle 16 times last season for 2.4 YPC). With that logic in mind, it is fair to think (if you are so inclined) that if last years percentages hold true, and McClain is returned to the role of TD-vulturing FB, the math looks like this:-1000 total offensive plays...55% run (550 plays), 45% pass (450 plays)-72% of the runs for the season are outside the opponents 20 (396 plays)----Rice, as the change of pace back, will garner a quarter of those opportunities (99 carries)----that leaves 297 carries for the teams starting RB (in this scenario, McGahee) outside of the opponents 20 yard lineSure, these stats/numbers may be a reach, but we don't have to reach to get him on our rosters. It costs you almost nothing. There is no other RB at and ADP of 35+ (Rice included) that has a ceiling this high without relying on another player getting injured.I see it shaking out like this...McGahee: 330-1353-7, 41-304-2Rice: 99-446-2, 27-189-1McClain: 90-427-7, 27-202-0FYI: Keep in mind...the Ravens face Chicago and Pittsburgh weeks 15 and 16, so don't count on a lot of points from any of these guys come FF Playoff time.
You are grossly overrating McGahee. He's close to toast.

There is no right or wrong here, just some guessing...so I will advocate the best value lies in selecting the RB who had nearly half of the teams carries inside the 20 in 2008, was the most efficient scorer for his team on the ground inside the 5 yard line, averaged 5.7 YPC on running plays up the middle, and was targeted 7% of the time out of the backfield...additionally this player is historically (admittedly, with the exception of last season) the most efficient runner on his team.That's right...I will go out on a limb and say McGahee comes back in a big way for a career season.The OL has been upgraded, and Flacco was far from a stud last season (although he did perform better in the 2nd half), so they should continue to run. The DEF should continue to keep them in games, and CCameron is historically RB friendly (BAL had the 9th best FF scoring RB squad last season, FBG scoring). There is no reason to believe that whoever lands the starting RB can't hold it down, especially without having to face Pittsburgh's DEF until week 12.Even if I am wrong, there is nothing to lose in drafting him (he is being drafted AFTER RRice in many leagues as evidenced by his ADP of RB39). Sure there is a chance that McClain vultures TDs and Rice should be the 3rd down back and will may more targets in 2009. I still think that as a potential RB4 on a roster, McGahee is the guy to have. Assuming he gets the starting job after camp, he should hold onto the job all season long with the best YPC of his career thanks to what should be the best OL he has ever run behind (the improved YPC will keep Rice off the field, even if he is a little better). Additionally, as a result (being in a Cam Cameron offense) you are likely looking at 12-13% of the teams passing targets (40+ recs) Some food for thought...In 2008, the BAL offense ran the ball 423 times on 1st and 2nd down outside of their opponents 20, Rice getting 95 carries (22%). I continue to see Rice as a change of pace and 3rd down back in 2009 (and I think BAL does as well as evidenced by him only running the ball up the middle 16 times last season for 2.4 YPC). With that logic in mind, it is fair to think (if you are so inclined) that if last years percentages hold true, and McClain is returned to the role of TD-vulturing FB, the math looks like this:-1000 total offensive plays...55% run (550 plays), 45% pass (450 plays)-72% of the runs for the season are outside the opponents 20 (396 plays)----Rice, as the change of pace back, will garner a quarter of those opportunities (99 carries)----that leaves 297 carries for the teams starting RB (in this scenario, McGahee) outside of the opponents 20 yard lineSure, these stats/numbers may be a reach, but we don't have to reach to get him on our rosters. It costs you almost nothing. There is no other RB at and ADP of 35+ (Rice included) that has a ceiling this high without relying on another player getting injured.I see it shaking out like this...McGahee: 330-1353-7, 41-304-2Rice: 99-446-2, 27-189-1McClain: 90-427-7, 27-202-0FYI: Keep in mind...the Ravens face Chicago and Pittsburgh weeks 15 and 16, so don't count on a lot of points from any of these guys come FF Playoff time.
You are grossly overrating McGahee. He's close to toast.
Yeah, totally agree. McGahee will be lucky to get that many carries. I think he will be the #3 back this year for the Ravens and they cut him next year after unsuccessfully trying to trade him.

I don't see McClain having much of a fantasy impact this season barring injuries to Rice and/or McGahee.

McGahee is intriguing to me. He might be getting written off a bit too quickly.

That said, Rice has to be the smart bet to come out of this mess on top, and is the easy choice in dynasty formats.

I would love to see Rice get his shot this year, but I don't see it happening. I think if he gets 14 carries per game he could be very valuable, since he's likely to get the 3rd down role again. Just not sure he will get that many looks. But if he does, I think 800-900 yds rushing is possible, and he could go for 35 catches and 250 yds. So, close to 1100 yds for a 9th rd pick. Just don't see too many tds

R. Rice and C. Peerman are the future of the ravens and depending on injury might be a good RBBC this year. Peerman is very underated and I think if he gets the chance because of a rice injury he will be the starting back in 2010.

First of all everyone forgets that Lorenzo Neal was playing FB last year with the Ravens. Now I didn't watch any Ravens games last year so I'm not sure if they were playing mostly Singleback or if they were playing out of an I-Formation, but the fact that Lorenzo Neal was there gave the Ravens the luxury of moving McClain to HB.

Now that Neal has moved on to Oakland, they don't have the luxury of the best blocking FB in the league. So McClain and the extra pounds he added in offseason are moving back to FB, bank on it.

As for Rice vs McGahee, that one is easy. McGahee is only around b/c of his contract. He's gone in 2010 you can count on it. The Ravens are in a similiar situation that the Cowboys were in a couple years ago. They had a stud in Marion Barber, and Julius was clearly ineffective, but there was no one worth signing, no one willing to trade, and releasing him would put way too many carries on Barber's legs. So they let him play out his contract alongside Barber for one more year and then got rid of him and drafted Felix in the draft after the season was over.

Funny thing is after I drafted Rice in Round 10 (we're in a keeper league), McGahee slipped so much that I decided to pick him up in the 15th Round as insurance.

I think you have to look at two things with the Ravens' RBs:

1) How will McGahee's knee hold up through training camp and preseason. If it starts swelling and has to be drained (again), then that's certainly a positive for Rice and McClain.

2) Whether or not the Ravens bring in anyone else to play FB, which would give them the option to move McClain around like they did last season. If McClain is still a full-time FB after the preseason, then that's a plus for Rice and McGahee.

If draft day approaches and McGahee has had more knee trouble and McClain is stuck at FB, I'll buy high on Rice. Of course, so will everyone else if that happens.

First of all everyone forgets that Lorenzo Neal was playing FB last year with the Ravens. Now I didn't watch any Ravens games last year so I'm not sure if they were playing mostly Singleback or if they were playing out of an I-Formation, but the fact that Lorenzo Neal was there gave the Ravens the luxury of moving McClain to HB.Now that Neal has moved on to Oakland, they don't have the luxury of the best blocking FB in the league. So McClain and the extra pounds he added in offseason are moving back to FB, bank on it.As for Rice vs McGahee, that one is easy. McGahee is only around b/c of his contract. He's gone in 2010 you can count on it. The Ravens are in a similiar situation that the Cowboys were in a couple years ago. They had a stud in Marion Barber, and Julius was clearly ineffective, but there was no one worth signing, no one willing to trade, and releasing him would put way too many carries on Barber's legs. So they let him play out his contract alongside Barber for one more year and then got rid of him and drafted Felix in the draft after the season was over.Funny thing is after I drafted Rice in Round 10 (we're in a keeper league), McGahee slipped so much that I decided to pick him up in the 15th Round as insurance.
Even so, how does Rice get goal line carries with McClain on the roster?I want to like Rice, but I'd be pretty concerned about that.

Even so, how does Rice get goal line carries with McClain on the roster?I want to like Rice, but I'd be pretty concerned about that.
I think something has to happen to take McGahee out of the picture before I consider Rice. Unless they add another FB, McClain will be blocking on some of those goal line carries for whomever is playing RB.It's really a tough call on Rice right now. He's getting so much hype, I'm starting to get scared off of him based on where I would have to draft him. It might be cheaper to let him pass and grab McGahee later on in the draft.

Why people are writing off McClain is beyond me.

Because he was moved to FB at times during OTA's?

I know from a person within the Ravens organization that he is still a RB....not a FB. He indicated to me that this was only because they had nobody else at the time and he would still see time at RB.

Also, Bloom was very adimate about McClain playing RB and his RB coach was excited about his prospects for next season and improving.

Why people are writing off McClain is beyond me.Because he was moved to FB at times during OTA's?I know from a person within the Ravens organization that he is still a RB....not a FB. He indicated to me that this was only because they had nobody else at the time and he would still see time at RB.Also, Bloom was very adimate about McClain playing RB and his RB coach was excited about his prospects for next season and improving.
McClain wont get nearly as many carries as he did last year or % share of the load. Would you agree?

McClain carries last year were inflated due to injuries to Rice & McGahee and the Ravens leading a lot and using him to kill the clock. I just don't see McGahee doing much if Rice is healthy. I see Rice being the closest thing to a number 1 . I think McClain will be better than most people think but below 2008 numbers. He will be a Fatdale White type back with maybe more upside .

I kind of think they may want to showcase McGahee a bit in the early part of the season to try to get SOMETHING for him in trade? This of course relies on him being healthy. I have nothing to back this up, just a gut feeling.I also don't think that McClain is going to get more touches than people think he will. Why would they change much of what worked so well for them last year? I do think that if Mason stays retired that Rice is going to get a lot more looks in the passing gameMcClain 220 carries 4.2ypc 924 yards 8 TDs / 10 catches 6ypc 60 yards 0 TDsRice 200 carries 4.5 ypc 900 yards 5 TDs / 45 catches 8ypc 360 yards 4 TDsMcGahee 60 carries 3.9 ypc 234 yards 2 TDs / 10 catches 7ypc 70 yards 0 TDs
Maybe in the pre season or after the first RB injury. His contract makes that hard to do though.McClain 220 carries? I don't see it.

Why people are writing off McClain is beyond me.Because he was moved to FB at times during OTA's?I know from a person within the Ravens organization that he is still a RB....not a FB. He indicated to me that this was only because they had nobody else at the time and he would still see time at RB.Also, Bloom was very adimate about McClain playing RB and his RB coach was excited about his prospects for next season and improving.
No because they lost their blocking fullback and said that's where he'll be playing, but you know that. I see a lot of wishful thinking in this post.

First of all everyone forgets that Lorenzo Neal was playing FB last year with the Ravens. Now I didn't watch any Ravens games last year so I'm not sure if they were playing mostly Singleback or if they were playing out of an I-Formation, but the fact that Lorenzo Neal was there gave the Ravens the luxury of moving McClain to HB.
There's this:http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfo...et_headline_div

I'd like to start with Le'Ron McClain, who was such a great asset for you last year. What went into the decision to move him to fullback?

Cameron: You know, I've read that everybody thinks we've moved him back to fullback and I'm not sure where that came from. He's a running back. That's the way I view him. To me, Lorenzo Neal is a fullback, and a great one. Le'Ron, to me, and I felt like this when I saw him in college, is a potential running back. He's also a guy that can play fullback, play tailback, and actually we're going to use him a little bit at tight end this year. He's just a football player that can do multiple things. He will definitely get carries like he did last year. Probably not as many just because our pass protection unit has evolved, Joe [Flacco] has evolved, we have more tight ends this year. So he won't get the number of carries but he's going to carry the football. He's physical, I like that style and we're probably going to ask him to do more this year than we did last year.

As far as different spots and roles on the field?

Cameron: Correct. It may not be carries, but we're going to ask him to do a lot.

But I think that's a great point about Lo Neal --- I believe they ran out of the I quite a bit.

:goodposting: We are on the same page. 2010 will be the year of Ray Rice who is a very nice player. I enjoyed wathcing him at Rutgers. However I also feel McGahee has plenty to prove. After coming off a solid top 10 finish in 2008 he battled injuries all year and never got going. He has worked extremly hard this off-season and is said to be in prime condition. I think it will show in the pre-season and I can see McGahee winning the job and having a great year and representing tremendous value at his current ADP.McGahee: 275 Carries 1100 Yards 12 TD's 32 receptions 224 Yards 2 TD'sRice: 110 Carries 462 Yards 1 TD 35 receptions 245 Yards 3 TD'sMcClain: 100 Carries 370 Yards 5 TD's 7 Receptions 25 Yards

No because they lost their blocking fullback and said that's where he'll be playing, but you know that. I see a lot of wishful thinking in this post.
Where is it said in writing that he will be playing strictly FB this upcoming season? I am just trying to include my insider info, you don't have to believe me....don't really care. Thought the shark pool was about including information.

I know from a person within the Ravens organization that he is still a RB....not a FB. He indicated to me that this was only because they had nobody else at the time and he would still see time at RB.

Also, Bloom was very adimate about McClain playing RB and his RB coach was excited about his prospects for next season and improving.
Where is it said in writing that he will be playing strictly FB this upcoming season? I am just trying to include my insider info, you don't have to believe me....don't really care. Thought the shark pool was about including information.
Actually you may be right.Jun. 17, 2009 - 12:24 p.m. ET

Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron disputed the notion that Le'Ron McClain is being moved to fullback this season.

"I've read that everybody thinks we've moved him back to fullback and I'm not sure where that came from. He's a running back," said Cameron. "He's also a guy that can play fullback, play tailback, and actually we're going to use him a little bit at tight end this year." McClain will get carries this season -- especially in short-yardage situations -- but don't expect him to approach last year's 232 attempts.

Source: CBSSports.com

JohnnyU said:
tdmills said:

Actually you may be right.Jun. 17, 2009 - 12:24 p.m. ET

Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron disputed the notion that Le'Ron McClain is being moved to fullback this season.

"I've read that everybody thinks we've moved him back to fullback and I'm not sure where that came from. He's a running back," said Cameron. "He's also a guy that can play fullback, play tailback, and actually we're going to use him a little bit at tight end this year." McClain will get carries this season -- especially in short-yardage situations -- but don't expect him to approach last year's 232 attempts.

Source: CBSSports.com
Thanks for the assist JohnnyU

I think that the Ravens OL will be improved over a year ago with the additions of rookie 1st rounder Michael Oher from Ole Miss and the free agent signing of Matt Birk. I also think that the reduced usage will McGahee fresher and able to increase his career average with Baltimore from 4.04 all the way up to 4.1.
On the Balitmore Message Boards, they are raving about Oher......

Baltimore 1st and Goal 1 yard line, 1st carry...

(9:50) L.McClain up the middle to CAR 1 for no gain (J.Anderson)

Just worth mentioning...

Another goal line play...

1-1-CAR 1 (4:21) W.McGahee right guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

2-2-CAR 3 (5:04) W.McGahee right guard to CAR 1 for 2 yards (N.Hayden).

1-5-CAR 6 (5:44) (Shotgun) W.McGahee right tackle to CAR 3 for 3 yards (J.Anderson, C.Harris).

Users who are viewing this thread