Photo

How much land off the road does a town own?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Yudkin

David Yudkin

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,567 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

Trying to determine property lines with no markers to start from. We have a map with the lot sizes, just trying to figure out where to start from from the road.

Do some towns start at the edge of the road? The center of the road? A certain amount off the road?
"How do you feel about your team's execution?"- Reporter
"I'm all for it!"- John McKay, former coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Winner of FBG Staff Leagues in 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

#2 Osaurus

Osaurus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,124 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
  • Interests:Yak Herding

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Trying to determine property lines with no markers to start from. We have a map with the lot sizes, just trying to figure out where to start from from the road. Do some towns start at the edge of the road? The center of the road? A certain amount off the road?

if you're not in a gated community, I don't think you own any of the road
- no matter where you go, there you are.

She was smoking some of that Endor Fern.

Someone get the new kid a map of the Shart Pool

If your undercarriage requires attention midday, you might want to spend more time running and less time silica blasting your taint.

#3 dirtyhalos

dirtyhalos

capital letter hater!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,922 posts
  • Joined 14-May 04

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Trying to determine property lines with no markers to start from. We have a map with the lot sizes, just trying to figure out where to start from from the road. Do some towns start at the edge of the road? The center of the road? A certain amount off the road?

this is not a set distance, most accessor parcel maps will show a distance of road right of way and you can 1/2 that from the road centerline, but to be honest, it can be shown many ways on maps... what city/county are you in? maybe pm your addy and i'll see if i can find you something on the county accessor maps in your area, our area is posted online
wis iii champion

#4 Binky The Doormat

Binky The Doormat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,644 posts
  • Joined 25-September 04

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

if you're not in a gated community, I don't think you own any of the road

These kinds of responses deserve a throat punch. Please read the question. I would image it is covered by local or state laws (depending on the type of road) and you will need to talk to the county land office.

"I can stop drinking anytime I want ...I just don't because I'm havin' a lot of fun with my drinkin' right now." - Shakes The Clown, from the 1991 classic, "Shakes The Clown"

Frostillicus, on 03 Aug 2014 - 9:16 PM, said:

I've had both GM's meat and StL Bob's meat in my mouth today.

#5 Team Tosh

Team Tosh

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 773 posts
  • Joined 11-September 05

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

It all depends. Are you talking about a township, or a town (like a village or a city). It also depends on how the lot was originally subdivided. The local municipality's subdivision ordinance should explain that. Perhaps the county you live in has a copy of the original CSM (certified survey map) or Map of Survey which would lay out the property boundaries? A typical road right of way is 66 feet. A typical residential street width is 32 feet, but can range 28 feet to 36 feet. The remaining portion of the right of way on either side of the constructed road usually consists of sidewalks, ditches, boulevard trees, and/or utilities. If it's a private road that was never turned over to the municipality, each property owner may own to the centerline. Either way, the property line would rarely, if ever, start at the edge of the road. If it's a legal issue, you'll definitely want to call a surveyor, or at the very least locate the property's CSM.

#6 tommyboy

tommyboy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,915 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:#542

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

check your city ordnances

#7 Ruffrodys05

Ruffrodys05

Midnight Toker

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 4,563 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

There are so many variables between municipalities and states, it's best to let a Professional Land Surveyor, within your specific area, determine exactly where your lot line is. You may technically own property (by deed) to the centerline of the road, but the municipality will have legal jurisdiction to the Right-Of-Way line, which is then essentially considered your property line and anything beyond that is yours to do with as you see fit within the specific guidelines (read: Subdivision and Land Development Code) of said municipality.

In addition, within your municipality, there may be several types of roadways, each with it's own separate R-O-W delineation. A high traffic major roadway may have a R-O-W set at 100 feet (50 feet from CL, both sides), but a minor roadway may be set at 32 feet (16 feet from CL, both sides.) These are just examples of course and an exact determination can only be made by a professional surveyor. Sometimes a property line does not rest exactly on the physical CL, so the R-O-W may be more or less in your favor, depending on the specific situation.

I would suggest PM'ing dirtyhalos the information he asked for and let him see if he can help. I know for a fact that he is knowledgeable enough to at least get you started down the right path to determine exactly what you might be dealing with here.

HTH,

Rody

LHUCKS posts like Tarzan, backs it up like Jane

Yes... I resort to such lame rip-offs to keep myself amused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users