• 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Photography
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:32 AM

Feeling soooo bad for her right now :mellow:

She has had a loose permanent tooth for a month or so and my wife took her in today.

Found out that one of the eye teeth has come in at such an angle it has almost destroyed the root on the tooth next to it( the loose one) and the eye tooth on the other side is doing the same thing.

She has to see a Endodontic on Friday to see if they can do a root canal on the right hand side to try to save the loose tooth for awhile.

Then she will have to go to an orthodontic to see if they can retrieve the Eye teeth causing all these problems, because it is possible they can affect the roots of her 2 front teeth also.

3 dentists looked at the x-rays....they have never seen this before in front teeth.

:)

#2 Mrs. BSR

Mrs. BSR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,384 posts
  • Joined 16-December 03

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

:mellow:
-Female Underground

HERBERT THE HIPPO,Sep 7 2005, 02:30 PM
I trust and respect Mrs. B's opinions..............so there.......

SofaKings, Feb 15 2006, 01:08 PM
C'mon, even Angels have needs.

Joe Bryant, June 30, 2006 02:19 PM
Listen to Mrs. BSR.

#3 EZD222

EZD222

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

Ooof. Thats rough.

I had a friend in H.S. that had two sets of permanent teeth. For about a 3 year period he had to periodically have sets of the 1st permanent teeth extracted to make room for the 2nd set.

#4 T Bell

T Bell

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,009 posts
  • Joined 30-August 06

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

Is this the product of a British-Japanese marriage?

I hipple so you don't have to.

I :wub: nested quotes.

#5 rodg12

rodg12

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,571 posts
  • Joined 01-May 03

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

Ooof. Thats rough.

I had a friend in H.S. that had two sets of permanent teeth. For about a 3 year period he had to periodically have sets of the 1st permanent teeth extracted to make room for the 2nd set.

Whoa. :blackdot:
J Rod

Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.
- George S. Patton

#6 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

Is this the product of a British-Japanese marriage?

Hopefully you have me confused with someone else :blackdot:

#7 T Bell

T Bell

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,009 posts
  • Joined 30-August 06

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Ooof. Thats rough.I had a friend in H.S. that had two sets of permanent teeth. For about a 3 year period he had to periodically have sets of the 1st permanent teeth extracted to make room for the 2nd set.

When he bit into food, did his eyes roll back into his head?

I hipple so you don't have to.

I :wub: nested quotes.

#8 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

:D

Ooof. Thats rough.I had a friend in H.S. that had two sets of permanent teeth. For about a 3 year period he had to periodically have sets of the 1st permanent teeth extracted to make room for the 2nd set.

Thanks.. I've only had one root canal and I'm 41.. She could be looking at one before she turns 11 and maybe more :(The only thing I could tell the wife is that at her age they will probably knock her out to do it so she won't have to sit there listening to all the drilling. :blackdot:

#9 Kraft...

Kraft...

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,312 posts
  • Joined 04-March 04

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

shark man :bag:

#10 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,410 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

ouch that sucks Snogger. I feel bad for both your D and wallet.

#11 Mopap

Mopap

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,591 posts
  • Joined 03-April 04

Feeling soooo bad for her right now :(She has had a loose permanent tooth for a month or so and my wife took her in today. Found out that one of the eye teeth has come in at such an angle it has almost destroyed the root on the tooth next to it( the loose one) and the eye tooth on the other side is doing the same thing.She has to see a Endodontic on Friday to see if they can do a root canal on the right hand side to try to save the loose tooth for awhile. Then she will have to go to an orthodontic to see if they can retrieve the Eye teeth causing all these problems, because it is possible they can affect the roots of her 2 front teeth also.3 dentists looked at the x-rays....they have never seen this before in front teeth.:(

Western Wisconsin, hmm.I don't know how close you are to top notch dental care but it's worth it to find a dentist/oral surgeon who has seen this before and treated it if that is possible. My son had a molar grow inside his jaw bone. The doc we saw locally said "oh yeah, I've heard of this." The doc we saw at Philadelphia's Children's Hospital said "I probably do about 10 of these a year." It's not rocket science to figure out who we used.

#12 5Rings

5Rings

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,743 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Sorry to hear that.

1. Make sure an orthodontist is consulted during the treatment planning. The key is going to be moving the canine/eye tooth to the correct position. You do NOT want to remove/retrieve the canine. It is the strongest/longest rooted tooth in the mouth.

2. When she is older, an implant will be used to support the prosthetic tooth. At this age, no way. Therefore, you have some options for temporary prosthetics. You need something in there not only for aesthetics, but also as a space maintainer. The opposing dentition will extrude without anything opposing it, and you need to maintian the orthodontic alignment of the adjacent teeth.

a) Traditional 3 unit bridge. Kick these guys in the nuts if they even advise that. No way they should be cutting on virgin teeth.

b) Flipper--its a pink acrylic/plastic removable prosthetic to replace the one tooth. Its easy to break, ugly as sin, and a 10 yr old doesn't want to be "that girl"....but its still a mainstream solution.

c) Maryland bridge--involves cutting adjacent virgin teeth--another Nut Kick if they advise that.

d) My advise--for anterior single tooth implant cases, we often will fabricate a fiber provisional that is bonded into place...almost like a tooth with two wings..... --{}-- The wings are bonded to the adjacent teeth, no prep/cutting required. For this case, I'd design the pontic like this --{} and just bond to one tooth since she is young and still growing. I'd probably not contact the canine.

My guess is that your orthodontist will "bracket" a pontic into place as a space maintainer during the orthodontic procedures, so you will have time to decide which way you to go on this case until she is ready for an implant.

Hit me up if I can help.
Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers

#13 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

Sorry to hear that.1. Make sure an orthodontist is consulted during the treatment planning. The key is going to be moving the canine/eye tooth to the correct position. You do NOT want to remove/retrieve the canine. It is the strongest/longest rooted tooth in the mouth.2. When she is older, an implant will be used to support the prosthetic tooth. At this age, no way. Therefore, you have some options for temporary prosthetics. You need something in there not only for aesthetics, but also as a space maintainer. The opposing dentition will extrude without anything opposing it, and you need to maintian the orthodontic alignment of the adjacent teeth.a) Traditional 3 unit bridge. Kick these guys in the nuts if they even advise that. No way they should be cutting on virgin teeth.b) Flipper--its a pink acrylic/plastic removable prosthetic to replace the one tooth. Its easy to break, ugly as sin, and a 10 yr old doesn't want to be "that girl"....but its still a mainstream solution.c) Maryland bridge--involves cutting adjacent virgin teeth--another Nut Kick if they advise that.d) My advise--for anterior single tooth implant cases, we often will fabricate a fiber provisional that is bonded into place...almost like a tooth with two wings..... --{}-- The wings are bonded to the adjacent teeth, no prep/cutting required. For this case, I'd design the pontic like this --{} and just bond to one tooth since she is young and still growing. I'd probably not contact the canine.My guess is that your orthodontist will "bracket" a pontic into place as a space maintainer during the orthodontic procedures, so you will have time to decide which way you to go on this case until she is ready for an implant.Hit me up if I can help.

:( :( printing this out now...

#14 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

Feeling soooo bad for her right now :lmao:She has had a loose permanent tooth for a month or so and my wife took her in today. Found out that one of the eye teeth has come in at such an angle it has almost destroyed the root on the tooth next to it( the loose one) and the eye tooth on the other side is doing the same thing.She has to see a Endodontic on Friday to see if they can do a root canal on the right hand side to try to save the loose tooth for awhile. Then she will have to go to an orthodontic to see if they can retrieve the Eye teeth causing all these problems, because it is possible they can affect the roots of her 2 front teeth also.3 dentists looked at the x-rays....they have never seen this before in front teeth.:D

Western Wisconsin, hmm.I don't know how close you are to top notch dental care but it's worth it to find a dentist/oral surgeon who has seen this before and treated it if that is possible. My son had a molar grow inside his jaw bone. The doc we saw locally said "oh yeah, I've heard of this." The doc we saw at Philadelphia's Children's Hospital said "I probably do about 10 of these a year." It's not rocket science to figure out who we used.

We live 20 minutes away from the Twin Cities( Minneapolis/St.Paul). The Dentists in our area are "transplants" from the Twin cites area who either commute over or have moved into the city. The ones we see all worked in the Cities for many years before coming over so we feel semi-safe they know what they are doing.Taking the advice from the post after yours will help also.

Edited by snogger, 12 August 2009 - 12:19 PM.

#15 5Rings

5Rings

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,743 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Often, a prosthodontist has seen cases like this. They are the best of the best and the ideal person to coordinate the restorative efforts with the ortho and endo guys. You guys are lucky to have some very good ones in your area.

Search here or ask your GP to refer you to one.

#16 Dentist

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,084 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:stox, teeth, money, tennis

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

1) why did you wait so long?

2) had your dentist taken a panoramic x-ray to check into this? had she been to the dentist?

3) start hiding money.. I mean a LOT of money... this sounds like a $10,000+ adventure you're getting ready to begin.

I treated a case like this recently... not totally the same, but similar.

just got done treating it with the 3-4 year temporary restorations until she's done growing around 18 y.o.

fun case... but it just cost a lot to treat it... high material costs and lab bills.

Edited by Dentist, 12 August 2009 - 01:43 PM.

Wait, you're genuninely a dentist?

#17 5Rings

5Rings

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,743 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

Nothing wrong with high lab bills :)

I don't want to turn this into DTown, but I'd like to hear how you restored that case.

#18 Chuckles

Chuckles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 336 posts
  • Joined 22-July 09

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Will she put it under the pillow for the toof fairy?

If so you should slip her a nice crisp Benjamin.

#19 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

2) had your dentist taken a panoramic x-ray to check into this? had she been to the dentist?

3) start hiding money.. I mean a LOT of money... this sounds like a $10,000+ adventure you're getting ready to begin.

just got done treating it with the 3-4 year temporary restorations until she's done growing around 18 y.o.

fun case... but it just cost a lot to treat it... high material costs and lab bills.

1) she said she bumped it and it was just a "little" loose... After a month I decided she should go get it checked.

2) I do question how they didn't catch this before :shrug: She sees the dentist every 6 months and they've done x-rays before as she has 2 fillings.

How the heck could they let it get this bad :mellow:

3) :unsure:

BTW.. Now that I am home I was able to see the x-rays :eek: :lmao:

Best way to explain it is that her Canine teeth are coming in where the other permanent teeth are already in:

......Canine>>> \.... / <<<Canine
Permanent teeth ||||

The one on the right side of her mouth basically grew right over the root and therefore that tooth is a goner as there is absolutely no Root left. :(

The other side has taken out part of the Root, which is what they are going to try and save on Friday.

#20 Dentist

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,084 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:stox, teeth, money, tennis

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

1) she said she bumped it and it was just a "little" loose... After a month I decided she should go get it checked.

2) I do question how they didn't catch this before :goodposting: She sees the dentist every 6 months and they've done x-rays before as she has 2 fillings.

How the heck could they let it get this bad :fishing:

3) :scared:

BTW.. Now that I am home I was able to see the x-rays :eek: :shock:

Best way to explain it is that her Canine teeth are coming in where the other permanent teeth are already in:

Permanent teeth ||||

The one on the right side of her mouth basically grew right over the root and therefore that tooth is a goner as there is absolutely no Root left. :(

The other side has taken out part of the Root, which is what they are going to try and save on Friday.

Well the x-rays dentists usually take are "bitewings" that check back teeth for cavities. If the dentist you use doesn't have a panoramic x-ray machine or hasn't taken a panoramic x-ray, they'd never have seen that coming.

Unfortunately insurance covers panoramic x-rays only once every 3-5 years.. so if your insurance says 5 years.. it's possible to miss it.

Wait, you're genuninely a dentist?

#21 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

2) I do question how they didn't catch this before :lmao: She sees the dentist every 6 months and they've done x-rays before as she has 2 fillings.

How the heck could they let it get this bad :hifive:

3) :scared:

BTW.. Now that I am home I was able to see the x-rays :eek: :shock:

Permanent teeth ||||

Well the x-rays dentists usually take are "bitewings" that check back teeth for cavities. If the dentist you use doesn't have a panoramic x-ray machine or hasn't taken a panoramic x-ray, they'd never have seen that coming.

Unfortunately insurance covers panoramic x-rays only once every 3-5 years.. so if your insurance says 5 years.. it's possible to miss it.

Thanks.. that makes sense as it wasn't until they did the 360 degree X-ray that they were able to see the damage the Canine teeth were doing.

In fact I'm 41 and last year was the first time I've ever had the full X-ray done and I believe our insurance only covers it once every 24 months.

#22 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,001 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

Realized I never updated this :bag:

After a visit with a Orthodontist and the other specialist they came up with a new plan.

For now they are going to let the Canine teeth come in and Push out the permanent teeth next to the two front teeth..

Once that happens, they will file down the canine teeth so they don't have a point (Sorry hun, no vampire teeth for you ;) ) and add "extra" to those canine teeth and than use braces to move the teeth forward to fill-in the gap.

So, no Root canal :thumbup: No teeth pulled :thumbup: and no extra pain for her other than Braces for a extended length of time compared to most..

All in all a LOT better outcome than first feared!! :)

Thanks all for the replies!

#23 The Z Machine

The Z Machine

Freak-A-Zoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,929 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:????

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

I wonder what the odds are that she'll be really into vampire books in 5 years?
BOYCOTT WORLD CUP 2022

#24 Mrs. BSR

Mrs. BSR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,384 posts
  • Joined 16-December 03

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

Great news Snog!
-Female Underground

HERBERT THE HIPPO,Sep 7 2005, 02:30 PM
I trust and respect Mrs. B's opinions..............so there.......

SofaKings, Feb 15 2006, 01:08 PM
C'mon, even Angels have needs.

Joe Bryant, June 30, 2006 02:19 PM
Listen to Mrs. BSR.

#25 Osaurus

Osaurus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,153 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
  • Interests:Yak Herding

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Had a canine on its side underneath my incisors below the gum line. Had four teeth removed due to overcrowding and had the canine pulled up over time by a little gold chain attached to my braces. Every month a link was removed from the chain until the canine was upright enough for the braces to take over. Good times. Glad to hear it isn't severe as once thought. I lucked out recently with a cracked tooth. It had a huge filling in it and was told when I got the filling, if and when it came out, a crown and possible root canal would happen. Didn't have to get the root canal...just the crown. Whew!
- no matter where you go, there you are.

She was smoking some of that Endor Fern.

Someone get the new kid a map of the Shart Pool

If your undercarriage requires attention midday, you might want to spend more time running and less time silica blasting your taint.

#26 The Z Machine

The Z Machine

Freak-A-Zoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,929 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:????

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

A few years ago my brother his two front teeth in half from a fall he broke with his face. He was about 23 years old at the time. It was pretty gnarly, but also quite funny to see some dude with two front teeth all jagged and broken in half.

he had them both pulled, root canal'd, and posts inserted.

Now he's got two fakies that are slightly oversized and tinted incorrectly. This is what happens when you're broke and need dental care.
BOYCOTT WORLD CUP 2022

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users