#1 Joe Bryant

Joe Bryant

Footballguy

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 35,769 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

Pics of a new recipe I tried yesterday. Smoky Mountain Dew Chicken. Basically a spun up version of Beer Can Chicken.

Have to say, I really like the way the chicken cooks like this. Use to use a big aluminum turkey roasting pan and put 3 chickens in each pan. But this way on the can, it really cooks a lot more evenly. Like it a lot.

J
Joe Bryant
Owner - www.Footballguys.com
Why Subscribe to Footballguys? Please Click Here

For Footballguys info on Facebook, Please Click Here

#2 Ditkaless Wonders

Ditkaless Wonders

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:36 AM

You can almost taste those pictures.

I am a fiscal conservative, a constitutionalist, and am socially laizze faire, meaning how others fornicate, intoxicate, and recreate is of little concern to me as long as I am out of the splash zone.

Tibia Dick Urchins

#3 baaloc1968

baaloc1968

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:23 AM

Seeing these pics made my breakfast seem...inadequate.

#4 Philo

Philo

Footballguy

• Pip
  • 2,994 posts
  • Joined 01-September 08
  • Interests:None.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:28 AM

Why Mt Dew? I've done Coke & Dr Pepper, they caramelize well, wouldn't have thought of Dew.
‘I am truly disappointed we are commencing our historic debate on one of the most significant and pressing domestic issues of our time with a process that has forestalled our ability to arrive at broader agreement on some of the most crucial elements of health care reform. The bottom line is, the most consequential health care legislation in the history of our country and the reordering of $33 trillion in health care spending over the coming decade shouldn’t be determined by one vote-margin strategies – surely we can and must do better.’

#5 Arizona Ron

Arizona Ron

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,262 posts
  • Joined 28-October 08
  • Interests:Switchin up speeds like Bruce Lee ridin a Fuji in a movie

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:34 AM

Picture doesn't load for me. :lmao:

#6 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,435 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:18 AM

Looks good. Sounds pretty sweet, but I'd guess the smokin takes the edge off that a little?
-~- S -~- L -~- O -~- W -~-

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

"If you don't like the way I'm living--you just leave this long-haired country boy alone."

#7 Joe Bryant

Joe Bryant

Footballguy

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 35,769 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

Why Mt Dew? I've done Coke & Dr Pepper, they caramelize well, wouldn't have thought of Dew.

Hi Philo,I thought Mountain Dew because I normally add some sort of citrus fruit to the inside of the chicken. Sometimes lemon or orange. With Mountain Dew being sort of lemon / lime, thought it would work. And it's kind of fun. It has about the same amount of sugar I think as Coke or Dr. Pepper so the carmelization is about the same I'd think.J
Joe Bryant

#8 Mr. Ected

Mr. Ected

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,960 posts
  • Joined 13-October 08

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

Pics of a new recipe I tried yesterday. Smoky Mountain Dew Chicken. Basically a spun up version of Beer Can Chicken.

Have to say, I really like the way the chicken cooks like this. Use to use a big aluminum turkey roasting pan and put 3 chickens in each pan. But this way on the can, it really cooks a lot more evenly. Like it a lot.

J

Would that work doing one chicken in a grill on a beer can stand? Wouldn't need to be in a smoker.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

#9 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,959 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

The citric acid in Mountain Dew helps tenderize the meat (as do the acids in Coke & Dr. Pepper).

My father-in-law uses Sunkist (or store-brand orange soda) in a similar fashion before smoking turkeys. No pacake syrup, though.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the sugar in MD will still caramelize like Coke/Dr Pepper, but Joe covered it.

Edited by Doug B, 28 August 2009 - 07:49 AM.

#10 Joe Bryant

Joe Bryant

Footballguy

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 35,769 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

J

Would that work doing one chicken in a grill on a beer can stand? Wouldn't need to be in a smoker.

Sure. I think it would work on a grill just fine. Sometimes I know though that clearance is a problem as the chicken sits up pretty high upright like that.

J
Joe Bryant

#11 tipsy mcstagger

tipsy mcstagger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,501 posts
  • Joined 22-May 03

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

How did i miss this. And i'm cooking beer can tonight. Oh well....adding this to my fbg chef blog.
GEAUX SAINTS

#12 Wrigley

Wrigley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,743 posts
  • Joined 01-October 05
  • Interests:Little of this, little of that

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

I am now starving.

It's human nature to stick with traditional beliefs, even after they outlast any conceivable utility.- Jim Pinkerton
Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear- George Orwell

XBL: MASTERH8

My god, Wrigley sucks.

how I live my life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users