What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 Official NFL Rulebook (1 Viewer)

How legal is it to post this? Does this violate copyright laws?

I ask because I am a college official and one the other boards I frequent someone asked if there was an online copy. Another person posted a fileshare site. Then another member reported that this was illegal and the NFL was notified and it would soon be removed.

I had posted this link before that, but a person got an login error message. I did not want to repost a better link if it would get this one removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ask because I am a college official and one the other boards I frequent someone asked if there was an online copy. Another person posted a fileshare site. Then another member reported that this was illegal and the NFL was notified and it would soon be removed.
Sounds like a fun board. :nerd:

How legal is it to post this? Does this violate copyright laws?I ask because I am a college official and one the other boards I frequent someone asked if there was an online copy. Another person posted a fileshare site. Then another member reported that this was illegal and the NFL was notified and it would soon be removed.I had posted this link before that, but a person got an login error message. I did not want to repost a better link if it would get this one removed.
"Everything on the internet is pretty much public domain." At least that's what some chick at some cooking magazine told me.

Sounds like a fun board. :shrug:
I agree. There are a couple of NFL officials there, so maybe they are just towing the NFL line.

This is a nice resource, but does it really need to be a pinned thread in the Shark Pool? It would seem to fit better under "Tools" or something like that. Real estate at the top of the Shark Pool is pretty important.

This is a nice resource, but does it really need to be a pinned thread in the Shark Pool? It would seem to fit better under "Tools" or something like that. Real estate at the top of the Shark Pool is pretty important.
:lmao:Scroll broken?

:lmao:Scroll broken?
Would you like to see every piece of footballguys content as a pinned thread in the Shark Pool? There are maybe 40 different content links which you could theoretically put there. It makes no sense to have something as a pinned thread, unless you're trying to get people to discuss it, or you want people specifically on the forums to read it. This content is interesting to people not on the forums, and there's nothing to discuss.

I'm with CalBear on this one. This should be linked to on the main FBG site, not pinned in the forums. There's enough stuff that is/should be pinned in the Shark Pool, especially during the season. We don't need to add to the clutter.

IIRC Maurile posted this here at one point because there was a long debate about some kind of rule interpretation (maybe what constitutes a reception? Maybe after the Calvin Johnson non-TD last year?) Anyway, it served a purpose being here since people were constantly referring to language in it. But that time has passed imo. It could just as easily be linked on the main site where everyone (even those who don't visit the forums) can access it.

fwiw this is the best explanation I can find for the supplemental draft, but still no 'rule based' code or anything

Supplemental Draft

Since 1977, the NFL has also held a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft. Players generally enter the Supplementary Draft because they missed the filing deadline for the NFL Draft or because issues developed which affected their eligibility (such as athletic or disciplinary matters). The draft is scheduled to occur at some point after the regular draft and before the start of the next season. In 2009, the Supplemental Draft occurred on July 16. In 1984 the NFL held an additional draft for players who were under contract with either USFL or CFL teams.

Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft.[3] (For example, FS Paul Oliver was taken by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round of the Supplemental Draft in 2007; thus, in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Chargers forfeited a fourth-round pick.)

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Quarterback Bernie Kosar who had led University of Miami to its first National Championship in 1984 was earning his academic degree as a junior. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami he wanted to turn pro. At this time college players had to wait for their class unless they themselves graduated early.

A plan was devised by football agent AJ Faigin[4] that was to get him to his preferred team, the Cleveland Browns. Faigin was representing former U of Miami QB and future Hall of Famer, Jim Kelly, then in the USFL, but whose NFL rights were held by the Buffalo Bills. The USFL was in its last days and Kelly would soon be available to the Bills. AJ Faigin's first step was to ask Bill Polian, the GM of Buffalo, if he would be willing to trade the number one Supplemental pick (worth next to nothing at that time) to Cleveland. Polian agreed and Faigin told the Cleveland Browns a trade was available. He next notified Kosar's father he should not formally submit his son's application for the standard NFL draft that was weeks away and declare only afterward; which would put him into the Supplemental Draft.

The result of Kosar’s withdrawal resulted in rare open warfare among NFL teams played out in the newspapers with threats of lawsuits between them, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. But as no rules were broken the Giants and eventually Minnesota had to back down. Kosar went on to lead Cleveland to five playoffs and three AFC Championship games. Following that season, the NFL instituted the current semi-random supplemental draft order.

The strategy devised by A.J. Faigin, to not declare for the NFL until after the regular draft, was subsequently used by other top players for various reasons. In some cases, it was because they did not want to play for the team that would have drafted them in the regular draft. For example, Brian Bosworth did not declare because he did not want to play for the Indianapolis Colts or the Buffalo Bills, the teams who drafted second and third that year. The Colts had offered him a 4 year, $2.2 million deal before the draft.[5] The Seattle Seahawks won the right to draft first in the supplemental draft, and later signed him to a 10 year, $11 million contract.[6] At the time that was the largest rookie contract in NFL history.

As of the 1990 season, only players who had graduated or exhausted their college eligibility were made available for the supplemental draft. Since 1993, only players who had planned to attend college but for various reasons could not have been included in the supplemental draft.

Users who are viewing this thread