#1 Breesisdaman

Breesisdaman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Joined 03-November 07

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

The answer is the New Orleans Saints. The Saints have managed to stay undefeated while accumulating a league-high 12 players on the injured-reserve list.

They’re tied with Buffalo and Detroit in that category.
The Saints have continued to impress and win games despite the many injuries where only one season ago in a similar situation, they finished out of the playoffs.

That experience prompted general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Sean Payton to put a lot of emphasis on acquiring depth in the off season, and they’ve found enough quality backups that they’ve been able to weather the injury storm quite nicely. The offensive line, Full back, Tight end, Defensive line, linebacker and secondary have held up with quality depth so far. Players that would have not sniffed the starting lineup otherwise are buying in to a new found never say die winning culture in New Orleans. After so many years of "same old Saints" football I am really starting to believe in this franchise and what the future may bring it./ homer mode off.

IR:
Rod Harper DB-previous starter

Leigh Torrence DB-depth started when others got hurt

Reggie Jones -backup

Chip Vaughn LB- depth

Heath Evans FB-Starting Fullback

Mark Simoneau LB-Starting linbacker

Stanley Arnoux-depth

Jamal Brown OLT-Starter and two time probowl selection

Kendrick Clancy-starting DT

Billy Miller TE-Starting TE

D'Juan Woods-Depth

Dan Campbell TE started several games for the Saints

This list also does not include the week to week injuries of players who are not out for the season like Sedrick Ellis ,Tracy Porter and Reggie Bush etc. etc.

Edited by bushisdaman, 25 November 2009 - 09:21 AM.

#2 Maik Jeaunz

Maik Jeaunz

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Joined 19-May 06

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

not really liking the injury trend...how many did we have on IR last year, like 18? but out of that whole list, the only ones that might really hurt us are Evans, Brown, and Miller. luckily, we have good backups at each position (Eckel, Bushrod, and Thomas). kudos to the front office for the willingness to make moves that would give us some good depth. add that to what they did in the offseason (Sharper, Greer, Hargrove, Jenkins, Gregg Williams), and I think the FO is doing a stellar job.

#3 Breesisdaman

Breesisdaman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Joined 03-November 07

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:42 AM

I am really starting to like David Thomas as a weapon for Drew Brees. Sometimes injuries reveal who the next stud will be. Glass half full you know. It would be the other way around if we were losing though.

#4 FDC

FDC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 918 posts
  • Joined 02-September 09

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:42 AM

Billy Miller a starter?

And it seems that most of these guys are practice squaders. 4 of them would see the feild if healthy maybe? And none seem to be that important with the exception of Brown.

#5 Ned

Ned

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,147 posts
  • Joined 20-March 06
  • Interests:fantasy football dominatrix

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

I am really starting to like David Thomas as a weapon for Drew Brees. Sometimes injuries reveal who the next stud will be. Glass half full you know. It would be the other way around if we were losing though.

shhhhhhhhh :hifive:

#6 Sack-Religious

Sack-Religious

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,439 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

That's pretty impressive for the Saints to overcome and it goes to show what a GM going out to acquire depth can do for a team.

That being said, I'd argue that even though the Colts don't have as many people on IR, they've have had more significant injuries.

Both CB's slated to start this season have only played in 4 games each, and one of them is now on IR.

Bob Sanders is on IR, as is Tyjuan Hagler.

Anthony Gonzalez hasn't played since week 1 and there's no word on if, or when he'll actually see the field again, and they've also lost depth on the Oline and WR positions.

If you look closely at the Statue of Liberty, she kinda has a penis...

Please support Parkinson's research

#7 Breesisdaman

Breesisdaman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Joined 03-November 07

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

Billy Miller a starter?And it seems that most of these guys are practice squaders. 4 of them would see the feild if healthy maybe? And none seem to be that important with the exception of Brown.

Billy Miller was the starter opposite Shockey. He was one of Drew's favorite players. Also Brown , Evans and Clancy were the big losses.

Edited by bushisdaman, 25 November 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#8 northern exposure

northern exposure

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Joined 27-June 08

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

The answer is the New Orleans Saints. The Saints have managed to stay undefeated while accumulating a league-high 12 players on the injured-reserve list.

They’re tied with Buffalo and Detroit in that category.
The Saints have continued to impress and win games despite the many injuries where only one season ago in a similar situation, they finished out of the playoffs.

That experience prompted general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Sean Payton to put a lot of emphasis on acquiring depth in the off season, and they’ve found enough quality backups that they’ve been able to weather the injury storm quite nicely. The offensive line, Full back, Tight end, Defensive line, linebacker and secondary have held up with quality depth so far. Players that would have not sniffed the starting lineup otherwise are buying in to a new found never say die winning culture in New Orleans. After so many years of "same old Saints" football I am really starting to believe in this franchise and what the future may bring it./ homer mode off.

IR:
Rod Harper DB-previous starter

Leigh Torrence DB-depth started when others got hurt

Reggie Jones -backup

Chip Vaughn LB- depth

Heath Evans FB-Starting Fullback

Mark Simoneau LB-Starting linbacker

Stanley Arnoux-depth

Jamal Brown OLT-Starter and two time probowl selection

Kendrick Clancy-starting DT

Billy Miller TE-Starting TE

D'Juan Woods-Depth

Dan Campbell TE started several games for the Saints

This list also does not include the week to week injuries of players who are not out for the season like Sedrick Ellis ,Tracy Porter and Reggie Bush etc. etc.

I don't think this information is still accurate. The Bills added O-linemen Seth McKinney and Eric Wood to IR this week raising the number of Bills on IR to 14.
Man I forget which came first, the bad idea or me befallen by it?

#9 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,124 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Billy Miller was the starter opposite Shockey. He was one of Drew's favorite players. Also Brown , Evans and Clancy were the big losses.

:no:

Mike Jeaunz forgot to spotlight Kendrick Clancy. If Ellis can return healthy, the Saints will be OK at DT ... but missing Clancy keeps the team from having that deep, fresh rotation that can help so much in the 4th quarter.

FDC's too far from the situation -- he's more or less right about Billy Miller (though he was huge in Shockey's absence last year), but dead wrong about only one IR guy being important. In fact, the guy he points out (Jammal Brown) has the highest-caliber backup available to step in (Bushrod).

#10 Muahahaha

Muahahaha

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 992 posts
  • Joined 29-September 04

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

I have a feeling this is going to catch up to you at some point. Probably the playoffs. Schedule has been pretty benign and looks fairly easy up to the playoffs.

This week's game will tell us quite a bit.

#11 PantherPower

PantherPower

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Joined 13-April 05

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

Skins have lost quite a few as well...but they stink regardless. :thumbup:
Welcome to Duke Kyrie Irving! Home of the only back-to-back NCAA Champions in the ACC!

#12 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 74,677 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03
  • Interests:Bills and Sabres fan

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:24 AM

Bills have 6 legit starters on IR
TE Schouman
RG Wood
RT Butler
LB Mitchell
LB Ellison
CB McKelvin

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 271 posts
  • Joined 15-September 06

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Panthers have 3 legit starters on IR

Thomas Davis LB
Maake Kemoeatu DT
Jordan Gross LT

#14 FDC

FDC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 918 posts
  • Joined 02-September 09

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

:goodposting:

Mike Jeaunz forgot to spotlight Kendrick Clancy. If Ellis can return healthy, the Saints will be OK at DT ... but missing Clancy keeps the team from having that deep, fresh rotation that can help so much in the 4th quarter.

FDC's too far from the situation -- he's more or less right about Billy Miller (though he was huge in Shockey's absence last year), but dead wrong about only one IR guy being important. In fact, the guy he points out (Jammal Brown) has the highest-caliber backup available to step in (Bushrod).

Please explain why I was so far off. Clancy hurt yes, but I thought coming into 09 one of the strengths of this team was their depth at the defensive line. H Evans hurt, but its still a fullback in the Saints offense- how much value does that really lose? Simomeau was not a starter he was the top backup to Vilma. Everyone else were borderline practice squaders or just backup depth correct? What am I missing here?

#15 red stripe

red stripe

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 220 posts
  • Joined 09-December 05

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

Not to hijack a Saints thread further but seems like Detroit is at or near the top of this list every year.... seems like someone needs to take a long hard look at their conditioning program

#16 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,124 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

Please explain why I was so far off. Clancy hurt yes, but I thought coming into 09 one of the strengths of this team was their depth at the defensive line. H Evans hurt, but its still a fullback in the Saints offense- how much value does that really lose? Simomeau was not a starter he was the top backup to Vilma. Everyone else were borderline practice squaders or just backup depth correct? What am I missing here?

Jammal Brown's place has been ably filled by Bushrod, with no real drop-off (Brown's been battling injuries for three years now). That's the part I think you mainly missed.

While the Saints are deep at DT, they didn't have four Albert Haynesworths. The Saints rely on rotating their DTs to maintain interior pressure for 60 minutes -- when Sedrick Ellis returns, they'll still be a man down from their opening-day DT rotation. Therefore, I think Clancy's loss is a bigger deal to the Saints' immediate fortunes than Jammal Brown's. You can look at the recent rushing performances against the Saints for evidence.

Heath Evans was a lot more valuable than you're giving him credit for, as well. He's a heady, capable blocker who was also able to take advantage of all the plays when opponents did not account for him (3 TDs early on). No, Evans wouldn't have been a TD freak going forward, but he was yet one more guy D's had to concern themselves with. Kyle Eckel looks decent as a blocker, but he is very young and is still developing his other skills. Evans has been through the wars, and brought that experience to the table every week.

#17 hostile

hostile

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 682 posts
  • Joined 18-July 08

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Bills have 6 legit starters on IRTE SchoumanRG WoodRT ButlerLB MitchellLB EllisonCB McKelvin

Ya, but a league-leading 14 total now. Even the backup's backup's are going to IR... :thumbup:

#18 Balco

Balco

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,121 posts
  • Joined 25-September 05

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Panthers have 3 legit starters on IRThomas Davis LBMaake Kemoeatu DTJordan Gross LT

Oof. Those are 3 great starters too. Tough break for Carolina, there.

#19 PatsFanCT

PatsFanCT

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,729 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

Is this a preemptive excuse strike aimed at Monday night/Tuesday morning?

#20 bshipper

bshipper

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

It seems like the Bengals usually lead this category, there are 7 so far (the top 5 are definite starters).

TE Reggie Kelly
TE Ben Utecht (recently released)
DE Antwaan Odom
WR Chris Henry
S Roy Williams
TE Matt Sherry
C Dan Santucci

#21 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,124 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

It seems like the Bengals usually lead this category, there are 7 so far (the top 5 are definite starters).TE Reggie KellyTE Ben Utecht (recently released)DE Antwaan OdomWR Chris HenryS Roy WilliamsTE Matt SherryC Dan Santucci

Andre Smith is not on IR?

#22 FDC

FDC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 918 posts
  • Joined 02-September 09

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

Jammal Brown's place has been ably filled by Bushrod, with no real drop-off (Brown's been battling injuries for three years now). That's the part I think you mainly missed.

While the Saints are deep at DT, they didn't have four Albert Haynesworths. The Saints rely on rotating their DTs to maintain interior pressure for 60 minutes -- when Sedrick Ellis returns, they'll still be a man down from their opening-day DT rotation. Therefore, I think Clancy's loss is a bigger deal to the Saints' immediate fortunes than Jammal Brown's. You can look at the recent rushing performances against the Saints for evidence.

Heath Evans was a lot more valuable than you're giving him credit for, as well. He's a heady, capable blocker who was also able to take advantage of all the plays when opponents did not account for him (3 TDs early on). No, Evans wouldn't have been a TD freak going forward, but he was yet one more guy D's had to concern themselves with. Kyle Eckel looks decent as a blocker, but he is very young and is still developing his other skills. Evans has been through the wars, and brought that experience to the table every week.

Case rested.

Saints lost one of their 4 rotating DTs, a fullback which barely saw 50% of the teams snaps when he played, an OT with a great backup, and a bunch of practice squaders.

Doesn't seem as significant as a team like Carolina who lost 3 potential probowlers or Buffalo who lost many every down guys.

#23 bshipper

bshipper

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

It seems like the Bengals usually lead this category, there are 7 so far (the top 5 are definite starters).TE Reggie KellyTE Ben Utecht (recently released)DE Antwaan OdomWR Chris HenryS Roy WilliamsTE Matt SherryC Dan Santucci

Andre Smith is not on IR?

No. I believe he was placed on the PUP list prior to the season and was activated week 6 I think.

#24 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,124 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Case rested.

Hang on now -- we're only talking about the IR guys. The recent short-term injuries to the Saints defensive backfield and to DT Sedrick Ellis have been much bigger concerns througout the mid-season.And of course, the team has overcome them all through 10 games. Still, naturally there's cause for concern going into the Patriots game, them being the best offense the Saints have faced all season by a mile. What guys are coming back for the Saints D (Greer and Ellis would be huge), how ready will they be, how much will McAllister and McKenzie be pressed into service, etc.

#25 gethugefast1

gethugefast1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
  • Interests:Employment

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

Not to hijack a Saints thread further but seems like Detroit is at or near the top of this list every year.... seems like someone needs to take a long hard look at their conditioning program

Maybe management too...the may be drafting or signing only players with a history of at least 2 or 3 injuries from high school and/or college :confused:

"If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges.” PR

Spoiler

#26 big0mar

big0mar

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 533 posts
  • Joined 17-October 07

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:59 AM

Dolphins have their starting QB, RB, NT, TE and CB all on IR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users