Photo

Cheap or Frugal #18

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Cheap or Frugal #18

Canceling services to get a lower rate

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Noid

The Noid

Avoid me!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,397 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

Recently I got my renewal notice for Sirius and didn't like that they were adding $2/month for "music royalty fees." So I went through all of the motions to cancel, knowing it was likely I would get a retention offer. But if they called my bluff and let me walk, my service was still paid up through the end of the month so I could always call back a day or two later and say I changed my mind. They offered me another year at half of what I paid the year before.

I do this every six months with Comcast, too. I've done it with DirecTV, my lawn service, my garbage service and credit card companies when my promotional balance was about to expire. Even did it with my kid's daycare center, getting them to offer me free internet viewing ($5/week, $260/year savings.) While waiting in line last summer to get the 3Gs iPhone (and extend my contract for 2 years), I called AT&T to cancel and got them to add 200 text messages a month to my plan. And my reputation for doing this has led to my family asking me to do it on their behalf, because I'm assuming they think it's a bit cheap to do so and might be embarrassedsed.

Cheap or Frugal?

Previous Cheap or Frugal polls:

#1: Eating yogurt without a spoon (Purged)

#2: Saving brown bags for lunch

#3: Not using sandwich bags for chips

#4: Re-using paper towels/napkins

#5: Least Expensive House, Most Expensive Block

#6: Using a toothpaste squeezer

#7: Cutting OJ with water

#8: Grinding my own meat

#9: Not using a Dixie Cup

#10: Rain Checks

#11: Donating for Discounts

#12: Cremation over Burial due to costs

#13: Avoiding Tolls

#14: Changing Your Own Oil

#15: Christmas Gift Budgeting

#16: Buying Valentine's Day Gifts on the 15th

#17: Book Exchange

Strong like a steroid, avoid the Noid.

Before gettin' bored,we'll avoid the Noid.

Am I cheap, or frugal? You decide.

#2 17seconds

17seconds

root of all aliai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,243 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

anybody who makes themselves a pain in the ### just to save a few bucks is a cheap bastard, IMO

no offense

guys like you are in front of me while i'm on hold for 30mins trying to solve a problem with a service company

"The most important thing when inventing a god is to make sure it's invisible, inaudible, and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise, people may become skeptical when it appears to nobody, says nothing, and does nothing."

#3 The Noid

The Noid

Avoid me!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,397 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

anybody who makes themselves a pain in the ### just to save a few bucks is a cheap bastard, IMOno offenseguys like you are in front of me while i'm on hold for 30mins trying to solve a problem with a service company

Nah. Calling customer service to save money is a rookie mistake. I'm on the line with retention, that's where the deals are!

#4 Chadstroma

Chadstroma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,126 posts
  • Joined 19-April 03

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

anybody who makes themselves a pain in the ### just to save a few bucks is a cheap bastard, IMOno offenseguys like you are in front of me while i'm on hold for 30mins trying to solve a problem with a service company

Nah. Calling customer service to save money is a rookie mistake. I'm on the line with retention, that's where the deals are!

:goodposting: Customer service is a waste of time. They are normally not empowered to do anything even if they wanted to in terms of giving breaks on costs. The 'retention' group is where you talk to people who have the power to actually do something in your favor.

#5 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,905 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

I do this for cable but they note everytime - the last time they called my bluff and the day before they were supposed to shut me off I signed up for a triple play package. :goodposting:I'd could probably switch to DirecTV but don't want the hassle
I bow to the awesomeness of :homer:  

#6 The_Burning_Bush

The_Burning_Bush

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Joined 14-February 08

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

wait

wat

What does internet access have to do with daycare?

Did that once with my son. Once. Five days without a poop and the Dr said "Take his temperature... down there." The thermometer never beeped before he went off - after five seconds and Mr. Brown Bear decided he was done hibernating and wanted to see who was at the door. It was like someone exchanged my kid for a Play-Doh Fun Factory and pushed down on the lever big-time. You've heard of dirt-snakes? This was a dirt boa constrictor. green.gif

The next time it happened I told my wife "Your turn." Just her luck she got the pressurized version. All I heard was a loud farting noise, the Lord's name in vain, and the sound of poopie going splat against the dresser. lol.gif I now know what it looks like when you toss an M-80 into a loaded toilet but without the benefit of porcelain shrapnel. unsure.gif - bakes

I'm all for robust femininity, but don't you think it would be weird having intercourse when you could see your thing whilst it was inside a girl? Look how skinny she is. It would look like a submarine about to surface.

#7 The Noid

The Noid

Avoid me!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,397 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

wait watWhat does internet access have to do with daycare?

My 17 month-old needs his pron on a high-speed connection, dammit! It's to view the cameras in the room, from home, work or on my phone.

Edited by The Noid, 10 December 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#8 The_Wolfman

The_Wolfman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 612 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

This is :(

#9 KGB

KGB

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,308 posts
  • Joined 29-April 03

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

I was coming in to post that I do this with my sirius sat. Don't know if its cheap or frugal, but its smart.

#10 Bull Dozier

Bull Dozier

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,915 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

I do this for cable but they note everytime - the last time they called my bluff and the day before they were supposed to shut me off I signed up for a triple play package. :lmao:I'd could probably switch to DirecTV but don't want the hassle

Switched to DirecTV a couple of months ago. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezie.
Xbox gamertag Nittany Dodger

#11 guest 54788

guest 54788

Prince of ShantyTown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,063 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

Here's my vote.
ATTENTION ALL PARTICIPANTS: This is NOT Serious Business

#12 AhrnCityPahnder

AhrnCityPahnder

Yinz-o-riffic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36,294 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests: ghouls
    magnets
    milksteak

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

I do it all the time with DTV, AT&T internet, Vonnage....and any other subscription-based that will let me get away with it.
༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ PLEASE KILL ME

#13 The Iguana

The Iguana

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,123 posts
  • Joined 13-May 03

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

this popped up on yahoo... immediately thought there might be some new ideas for you to use...

http://finance.yahoo...d-to-save-money

#14 Ned

Ned

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,153 posts
  • Joined 20-March 06
  • Interests:fantasy football dominatrix

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

this popped up on yahoo... immediately thought there might be some new ideas for you to use...

Dumpster diving in cemeteries. WTF is wrong with people?

#15 The Noid

The Noid

Avoid me!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,397 posts
  • Joined 15-February 06

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:58 AM

I am The Noid and I approve this message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users