What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DO NOT SIT GUYS FOR WEATHER TONIGHT (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I am watching the pregame and I have to be honest...it doesn't look that bad. Sure the ball will be heavy and I am sure any team would prefer to run the ball but I think both these teams are suited for cold weather and I see no reason to sit Big Ben, in fact the score may be decent tonight. I think the weather was pretty harsh in the Pitt/Jax game a few years back in the playoffs and Ben seemed OK that night...sure its bitterly cold, just makes tackling hurt that much more.

I expect a score of about 21-17 at this point, maybe not fireworks but does anyone really see a 7-0 score tonight? If you have Ben and your choices are him or something like Matt Hasselbeck...I'm not sure I would want to plug in Matt even with the weather.

Plus a short week, maybe the defenses are not well prepared, both teams have big injuries at key positions on their defense.

I think some folks are going to be upset if they sit everyone. Why can't Holmes have a nice night tonight with Ward banged up and possible limited? I saw the other weather threads but sometimes you gotta stick your neck out and if I'm wrong so be it, won't be the first, won't be the last.

Kickers may not be a good option which makes me think they will be shooting for th ened zone even more.

I am watching the pregame and I have to be honest...it doesn't look that bad. Sure the ball will be heavy and I am sure any team would prefer to run the ball but I think both these teams are suited for cold weather and I see no reason to sit Big Ben, in fact the score may be decent tonight. I think the weather was pretty harsh in the Pitt/Jax game a few years back in the playoffs and Ben seemed OK that night...sure its bitterly cold, just makes tackling hurt that much more. I expect a score of about 21-17 at this point, maybe not fireworks but does anyone really see a 7-0 score tonight? If you have Ben and your choices are him or something like Matt Hasselbeck...I'm not sure I would want to plug in Matt even with the weather. Plus a short week, maybe the defenses are not well prepared, both teams have big injuries at key positions on their defense. I think some folks are going to be upset if they sit everyone. Why can't Holmes have a nice night tonight with Ward banged up and possible limited? I saw the other weather threads but sometimes you gotta stick your neck out and if I'm wrong so be it, won't be the first, won't be the last. Kickers may not be a good option which makes me think they will be shooting for th ened zone even more.
:unsure:

Nice perspective. FBG has been telling me to start Gerrard over Ben for the last 4-5 weeks(ish). I know he was concussed and the weather might be bad but why the massive downgrade? He's the 25th ranked QB in standard FBG scoring this week. I'm at a loss.

Anyway, I have Ben in my main league and Holmes and Mendy in my second and I plan to roll with all three this week.

I am watching the pregame and I have to be honest...it doesn't look that bad. Sure the ball will be heavy and I am sure any team would prefer to run the ball but I think both these teams are suited for cold weather and I see no reason to sit Big Ben, in fact the score may be decent tonight. I think the weather was pretty harsh in the Pitt/Jax game a few years back in the playoffs and Ben seemed OK that night...sure its bitterly cold, just makes tackling hurt that much more. I expect a score of about 21-17 at this point, maybe not fireworks but does anyone really see a 7-0 score tonight? If you have Ben and your choices are him or something like Matt Hasselbeck...I'm not sure I would want to plug in Matt even with the weather. Plus a short week, maybe the defenses are not well prepared, both teams have big injuries at key positions on their defense. I think some folks are going to be upset if they sit everyone. Why can't Holmes have a nice night tonight with Ward banged up and possible limited? I saw the other weather threads but sometimes you gotta stick your neck out and if I'm wrong so be it, won't be the first, won't be the last. Kickers may not be a good option which makes me think they will be shooting for th ened zone even more.
im not...i'm rolling with with ward....... :unsure:

This looks like a great night for a Pitt/Cle, GB/CHI, NYJ/NYG type game...cold as nuts but this is December, it has playoff implications BIG TIME for Pitt, Cleveland is fighting for some respect and they suddenly have a juggernaut at QB.

hmm...do you start a gimpy Ward?
VS what other options???He should not have played in the SB last year but this guy openly criticizes his own QB for toughness so you know he will dress tonight, weather he should be out there or not is anyone's guess. Decoy so Holmes can have room, perhaps?

Yes, like MoP said, if you have no better options than Big Ben, Mendenhall, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller, start them.

Millen saying the field is in good shape and that is why Hines Ward wants to play even with the gimpy hammy.
I have Big Ben, JCampbell, and ryan Fitz....have to start 2.Even if the wind is bad...I'm gonna roll with Ben since I've rolled with him all season.At worst he should be able to throw a 5-10 yard Td pass to a TE, Ward etc.

This looks like a great night for a Pitt/Cle, GB/CHI, NYJ/NYG type game...cold as nuts but this is December, it has playoff implications BIG TIME for Pitt, Cleveland is fighting for some respect and they suddenly have a juggernaut at QB.
This is shtick ....right? Brady Quinn = juggernaut now, does he? Okay. Whatever you say.

Yes, like MoP said, if you have no better options than Big Ben, Mendenhall, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller, start them.
Fixed
You just figured that out? Yes, if someone has Drew Brees, by all means, start Brees over Roethlisberger.Or, if you have Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams with Mendenhall as your RB3, by all means start the first two_Or, if someone has Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, and Santonio Holmes, by all means, start the first three over Holmes.Or, if you have Dallas Clark and Heath Miller, seriously, you can start Clark over Miller. :lol:

Millen saying the field is in good shape and that is why Hines Ward wants to play even with the gimpy hammy.
Millen also advocating that Mangini should get more time. Comical. As to the wind, it looked a lot windier than it did in the earlier shots of Ward warming up. Bob Pappa also remarked that it is windy. Weather.com says it is 29 MPH wind blowing southwest.

What does the wind look like on TV? :lol:
Nothing...Ward was running around and his clothes don't even looked ruffled.
exactly what i was thinking. if the wind was the 29-50MPH like they were showing on the screen his sweats would be blown against his body or in specific direction. also if the wind was blowing that hard the wind chill would me worse than -5 at 16degrees. its almost that exact temp and wind gust level here in IL now and the windchill is well below -5.

This is shtick ....right? Brady Quinn = juggernaut now, does he? Okay. Whatever you say.
Last 3 weeks he is like a top5 QB, no? top10?

What if you have players of equal value?
This is the situation I find myself in in multiple leagues. I'm playing it safe and going with the comparable guys that aren't playing in super-windy conditions, no matter what people are seeing on the field. I completely agree that people are over-thinking it if they're benching Holmes or Big Ben for a far inferior player.

Wind or no wind, we know that both of these teams would like to run the ball. Unfortunately one of them is good at stopping the run and the other is not. Therefore, it would not shock me for the Steelers to have to throw very little. I was concerned about this angle before the weather became an issue.

I'm sure whatever happens people will be back in these threads to pat themselves on the back, but we're all just guessing (including FBGs) and there are things that no one can really predict (e.g. turnovers) that could really change how this game goes down.

once you all accept the fact that whatever decision you make will be wrong, you'll be a lot happier.

What pre-game show are you watching, MoP? On NFLNW, the guy on the field (the one that hosts Red Zone) said he walked to the middle of the field and said "They won't be able to throw the ball more than 10 or 15 yards in this wind."

Rothlisberger gets splinters for Schaub this week on one of my leagues. And Schaub is risky with that shoulder.

I know Crabtree is inferior to Ward, but I can't risk Ward aggravating his hammy in the first half and sticking me with 3 points in the playoffs.

Crabtree it is! :unsure:

What pre-game show are you watching, MoP? On NFLNW, the guy on the field (the one that hosts Red Zone) said he walked to the middle of the field and said "They won't be able to throw the ball more than 10 or 15 yards in this wind."
:unsure: Like I said, I live in Canton and the wind is horrendous. Can't imagine what it is like up on the lake.

Man... We're one of the few leagues who have a regular season game right now and have our finals on week 17. All playoff teams make $, and my season is riding on winning this weeks matchup (against the best team PF in the league)

I've been trying to decide what to do all day today; so much so that i found my way back to this board after not posting on it for a couple years lol

Have Holmes and Miller.

Miller I have to play as i have no backup TE (i'll pick one up pre-playoff) Cleveland also is like the 3rd best team to play a TE against (they've given up a lot of fantasy points to TEs)

BUT...

Holmes i have taken out of my lineup and put back in TWICE! He's at my flex position. It's 2 PPR so the league is WR friendly.

I have Maroney (the main guy i keep switching him with), Benson, Brandon Jacobs, Garcon & Harvin as my other canidates.

I really enjoy that i have to think hard about what i want to do to get into the playoffs for once. BUT this is really going to be a tough decision that i'm going to second guess until [at least] sunday, and possibly the rest.... of my life (just being dramatic ha)...

I think im going with Maroney...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, no screwing around fellas, what is the weather really like over there? Us west coast people are still stuck at work with no NFL network.

Start Harrison with confidence. Lots of checking down in Brady Quinn's future.
I'm sitting Harrison in favor of Forsett. Mora will start Jones, then give the reins to Forsett after finally seeing the light within the first couple of 3 and out series.
I wouldn't be starting him if it didn't look like my other options for the flex(assuming MSW is out) are Norwood and Chambers. Yuck!Of course, the conditions make it appear like Harrison will be getting the rock a lot. With Troy out I like the chances he does some damage in the second level on a few of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure he looked like a stud vs The Lions, but who doesn't? The following week vs a real team, The Bengals he went 15/34 for 100 yards. He went 25/45 for 271 and 3 TDs against the Chargers. But I would hardly call him a juggernaut.

Try deciding between a gimpy Ward in 30mph winds vs Chaz Schillens or Earl Bennett!!

This suxors.

I wish Ward would just sit out this week.

Sure he looked like a stud vs The Lions, but who doesn't? The following week vs a real team, The Bengals he went 15/34 for 100 yards. He went 25/45 for 271 and 3 TDs against the Chargers. But I would hardly call him a juggernaut.
Like Gradkowski throwing for 300/3TDs last week with TP out likely for the rest of the season and a team that probvably knows they aren't playing in Feb?

Like Gradkowski throwing for 300/3TDs last week with TP out likely for the rest of the season and a team that probvably knows they aren't playing in Feb?
Good shtick. I'll give you that. But this fish is done biting.

Anyone have any insights on the D/STs tonight? I'm really considering Cleveland, to give me something to watch for, as much as anything.

My take... The weather could cause a couple turnovers, but it could also end up being such a conservatively called/played game that not much happens.

Not sure there's much to predict...

Users who are viewing this thread