What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quarterbacks with beards (1 Viewer)

Doug Drinen

WARNING: if you're not interested in completely useless posts, then you'd better move along....

I was watching Texas Tech's bowl game the other night and, upon seeing Taylor Potts, I thought it was odd to see a QB with a full beard. I tried to think of other QBs with beards.

Dan Fouts immediately came to mind. But then I had to think a long time. Eventually I remembered Kenny Stabler as being bearded, but wasn't completely sure about that. Google image search verifies that he wore a beard most, but not all, of the time during his career. While typing this post, I remembered Kyle Orton.

So, who else?

Please note: I'm not talking about mustaches or goatees. Full beard. And I'm not talking about guys like Jake Plummer or Dave Krieg or Ben Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers who grew a beard for one season or part of one season. Aside from Fouts and Stabler (and Orton), what other QBs have/had a full beard for the majority of their playing career?

WARNING: if you're not interested in completely useless posts, then you'd better move along....

I was watching Texas Tech's bowl game the other night and, upon seeing Taylor Potts, I thought it was odd to see a QB with a full beard. I tried to think of other QBs with beards.

Dan Fouts immediately came to mind. But then I had to think a long time. Eventually I remembered Kenny Stabler as being bearded, but wasn't completely sure about that. Google image search verifies that he wore a beard most, but not all, of the time during his career. While typing this post, I remembered Kyle Orton.

So, who else?

Please note: I'm not talking about mustaches or goatees. Full beard. And I'm not talking about guys like Jake Plummer or Dave Krieg or Ben Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers who grew a beard for one season or part of one season. Aside from Fouts and Stabler (and Orton), what other QBs have/had a full beard for the majority of their playing career?
I seem to remember Jaworski with a beard but not sure if he had it most of his career. Seems like any others would be from same era when beards were more popular.

well, how many RBs have beards? or WRs? i just think it's not that common among NFLers, aside from maybe the occasional O-lineman. (it's not really all that common among men of playing age, for that matter -- not really limited to football players.)

:wetblanket:

Jake Plummer, Big Ben, Neil O'Donnell, Jim McMahon, Dan Fouts, Dave Krieg, Koy Detmer, Tim Tebow
Seriously laughed out loud when I read that. Amazing. Dude is fruity as heck....not that there's anything....wrong...with....that.I think Jeff Garcia had a beard too, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, how many RBs have beards? or WRs? i just think it's not that common among NFLers, aside from maybe the occasional O-lineman. (it's not really all that common among men of playing age, for that matter -- not really limited to football players.)

Franco Harris comes to mind.

JT O Sullivan was sporting one on Sunday Night Football and looked like a hobo they'd hired off the street to play qb.

Craig Morton sported a fine beard at the end of his career. Norris Weese is another bearded former Bronco quarterback.

Franco Harris comes to mind.
read the thread title again please. :wall:
Forgive me, I didn't know the board police was on patrol. I was just responding to the poster about bearded running backs. It appears that we've pretty much covered the QB's who had a beard for the majority of their career. I keep seeing the same answers over and over and players that wore a beard for a short time. Joe Theismann and Steve Grogan also had a beard for a while but not the majority of their career.

It looks like the only three QB's to sport a beard while they played were Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, and Eric Hipple.

edit to add: Oh yeah, Koy Detmer and Kyle Orton too.

Please note: I'm not talking about mustaches or goatees. Full beard. And I'm not talking about guys like Jake Plummer or Dave Krieg or Ben Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers who grew a beard for one season or part of one season.
That would be the famed "playoff beard", that those guys grow out most winters.

Fondly, I like to refer to the 2005 AFC Championship game as, "Hobo Bowl" - due to the facial appearance of the two starting quarterbacks.

Fouts = Pac10 = Conference of Champions

...it's a West Coast thing.

I think Alex Smith sported a beard this season. But Randy Moss may have the best beard outside of an O-linemen.

Users who are viewing this thread