48 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,300 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:FF, Running, family, The Buckeyes!

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

So those of you that were Cub Scouts or that have a Cub Scout for a son know about the pinewood derbies. Well, it was that time of year for us, and my son decided he wanted a Star Wars themed car after the tank we made last year. Last year, it was all about the looks for him, and it did OK, about middle of the pack. He wanted to wow them again this year, but I decided to make an effort on the speed as well.

We decided on an X-Wing fighter, and after deliberating, decided to make detachable wings so it would be race-legal but still look cool. My wife thought of using those super-strong mini-magnets, and off we went.

The car actually ran well and finished 5th out of almost 40 cars, so he got a trophy for that, but he also won the coveted Best Design award as well, with many kids and adults telling him it was pretty much the coolest car they had ever seen. Knowing the Star Wars fans on this board, figured I would share:

Wings on

Wings detached

:shrug:

Next year, that will be interesting to see how we up the ante. :lmao:
Want Sunglasses? Get the FBG Discount here

Now carrying Smith Sunglasses, along with Maui Jim and others.

Ohio State is the best team in the country.

Yes, I do play with Barbies

#2 Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Hot Pead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,858 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

That's pretty sweet.

Do one of those speeder bike things the storm troopers used in ewok land.

I love you Boston fans. Boo Stern as much as you can. Seriously, go Boston fans.

Stoner Claus comes in the middle of the night on the first Friday of the fall, and brings drugs and shoes to the good little boys and girls.

XBOX Live: Mr Manback

#3 encaitar

encaitar

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Joined 29-November 04

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

:thumbup:

Nice car. I'm sure you and your son had a blast putting that together.

#4 DaVinci

DaVinci

FairTaxguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,165 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

Our derby isn't until March. We're planning on starting to build our cars this weekend. (My daughter and I build cars, too.)
It's all in the reflexes.

#5 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,592 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Excellent job. The only thing that could make it better is putting Porkins in the cockpit, but then again that would probably put you over the weight limit.
I find your belief system.........fascinating.

but there are people in life, people you know in your own personal life Joe that just always seem to have a cloud over them. I try to distance myself form those folks as much as possible and I bet you do to.

Clearly, I am the not-bright one.

#6 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,523 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

Nice looking. You are either not a pro woodworker or you two actually worked on it together. I remember we always used to go for speed when I was a cub(1983)cause all the Design(What is this category called again?)cars were made by the Dad's that worked on them at the GM plant. Point of Order your car would have been disqualified in Ontario as you are only, and I mean only allowed to use what comes in that bag and lead weight.(Does it still come in a plastic bag with a cardboard seal?)Still looks awesome hope you guys had as much fun as Dad and I did making ours.

Thanks for bringing back a flood of good memories.
A person can be smart but in general people are stupid.

#7 Abrantes

Abrantes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,493 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Excellent job. The only thing that could make it better is putting Porkins in the cockpit, but then again that would probably put you over the weight limit.

:X

#8 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,063 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

So how fast was it? Under 3 seconds?

#9 Guest_awesomeness_*

Guest_awesomeness_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

I'm digging your old school carpet. It looks soft.

#10 BassNBrew

BassNBrew

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 38,365 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

http://www.pinewoodp...ar-pictures.htm

#11 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,523 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

Thanks again for the memories Jebus I'm having a wee bit o a moment here.
A person can be smart but in general people are stupid.

#12 Mr. Ected

Mr. Ected

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,247 posts
  • Joined 13-October 08

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

I am debating whether to show these shots to my boys (one is a fist year cub scout and his brother starts next year) both are huge Star Wars fanatics, and we just had our pinewood derby this past weekend. Our car paled in comparison to this one and I am afraid they will want something like it next year!! It was an ugly POS but we took third in his den. This meant my guy got a medal, and he beat a couple of people in the finals, so his car was not the worst!

Mad Dog, nice job!

Edited by Mr. Ected, 03 February 2010 - 07:00 PM.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

#13 Mad Cow

Mad Cow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,300 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

No, I am in no way a professional wood worker. :wub:

My son is 9, going on 10 here in a couple of months and I let him do all he could with it. We had fun doing it.

The wings are all balsa to keep the weight as low as possible.

I might just consider the speeder bikes for next year. :blackdot:

#14 MCguidance

MCguidance

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,334 posts
  • Joined 13-October 07

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

I hate scout ####, but this is cool :X

Edited by MCguidance, 03 February 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#15 Mr. Mojo

Mr. Mojo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,012 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

:excited:
I like it because it looks "Scout Built".
When my son was in Cubs, there were always these dopes that made the car totally by themselves and it showed.
One guy had built his kid's car and it won and then he tried to use the same car again and they disqualified him. The dork was practically crying.

#16 joffer

joffer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,785 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:i collect spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

it's all in the wheels and the axels

graphite = :excited:
Education on the value of free speech and the other freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights, about what happens when you dont have them, and about how to exercise and protect them, should be an essential prerequisite for being an American citizenor indeed a citizen of any nation, the more so to the degree that such rights remain unprotected. If we cant think for ourselves, if were unwilling to question authority, then were just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.

- Carl Sagan

#17 snitwitch

snitwitch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,294 posts
  • Joined 19-August 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Thanks again for the memories Jebus I'm having a wee bit o a moment here.

:)

Nah, only dead fish "go with the flow."

#18 Corporation

Corporation

Angry Bovine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,780 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Nice looking. You are either not a pro woodworker or you two actually worked on it together. I remember we always used to go for speed when I was a cub(1983)cause all the Design(What is this category called again?)cars were made by the Dad's that worked on them at the GM plant. Point of Order your car would have been disqualified in Ontario as you are only, and I mean only allowed to use what comes in that bag and lead weight.(Does it still come in a plastic bag with a cardboard seal?)Still looks awesome hope you guys had as much fun as Dad and I did making ours.Thanks for bringing back a flood of good memories.

Akeela (or something like that).

:) I like it because it looks "Scout Built". When my son was in Cubs, there were always these dopes that made the car totally by themselves and it showed.One guy had built his kid's car and it won and then he tried to use the same car again and they disqualified him. The dork was practically crying.

Man the dads in my son's pack take it way too seriously. I'm not a woodworker, so my son's car doesn't look good, but he does it himself. He was so proud of his car. Unfortunately, I made it just fast enough to where he made the Pack finals, where he got toasted. He took it well though (much better than I take losing).Tell Mad Calf he did a good job :thumbup:

#19 Captain Placeholder

Captain Placeholder

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 760 posts
  • Joined 09-December 09

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

http://www.pinewoodp...ar-pictures.htm

Rules.

Colts pass O vs Jets pass D= Advantage Colts

This shtick is gold. :moneybag:

* quick observation. avatar does seem to be a lightning rod for some unfortunate souls and disturbed psyches . . it is admittedly a pretty bizarre fringe element.

#20 Captain Placeholder

Captain Placeholder

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 760 posts
  • Joined 09-December 09

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

No, I am in no way a professional wood worker. :thumbup:My son is 9, going on 10 here in a couple of months and I let him do all he could with it. We had fun doing it.The wings are all balsa to keep the weight as low as possible. I might just consider the speeder bikes for next year. :)

Nah, go for the Ben Hur chariot next year with the scythes on the wheels to take out the competition.

Colts pass O vs Jets pass D= Advantage Colts

This shtick is gold. :moneybag:

* quick observation. avatar does seem to be a lightning rod for some unfortunate souls and disturbed psyches . . it is admittedly a pretty bizarre fringe element.

#21 Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,731 posts
  • Joined 25-May 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:25 PM

Looks are nice, but winning is everything.
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." Walter Bagehot 1826-77

#22 Mad Cow

Mad Cow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,300 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

What I did do for the speed was 1) file down the axle nails at the ends and 2) had only 3 wheels touching the track. It happened by accident as we were putting on the wheels, but knowing that 3 is better than 4 in the pinewood, we kept it that way. I did have it right at the max weight at 4.97 ounces. There were 4 heats per car (4 cars per heat) and he came in 1st in 2 and 2nd in the other 2, so he was so happy. He even did all the prep and racing himself. He was in charge of the graphite and maintenance between races.

#23 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,948 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:22 AM

Nice! My son won the design award a couple years ago for a car shaped like an ice cream sandwich, which was extremely easy to make, by the way. :thumbup: We used a dremel tool to carve out the sandwich look and put the little depressions in the top, then paint. Ice Cream Sandwich Car
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

#24 Mr. Retukes

Mr. Retukes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,816 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:21 AM

Nice! My son won the design award a couple years ago for a car shaped like an ice cream sandwich, which was extremely easy to make, by the way. :thumbup: We used a dremel tool to carve out the sandwich look and put the little depressions in the top, then paint. Ice Cream Sandwich Car

Nice!

#25 Sheriff66

Sheriff66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,531 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

:whistle:

#26 Jobber

Jobber

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,072 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Laziness

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:42 AM

This year will be our first derby. My 7 yr old is a cub scout. Ours is still in the box and the race is in mid March. There's a store in the mall near us that's supposed to have lots of parts for these things (called Air Traffic). I suppose we'll hit that place this weekend.

#27 Grandville

Grandville

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 253 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:58 AM

We have our pinewood derby this Saturday. I have two boys that love the racing. Every year I ask them if you want to try and win the race or win the design. They have always wanted to go for the win. We always make a low profile (wedge style) car. I make sure that they are involved in every part of the building but I make sure to follow up what they have done and "tweek" it.

#28 porkins

porkins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hey!

Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda.

Fan of SuperBowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX (and counting) Champs New England Patriots.

#29 gameday

gameday

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined 25-April 04

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

That is a very cool car. I'll have to show it to my son when I get home tonight. He's a Starwars junkie so he'll be stoked about it.

Here's the car my son and I built this year. Between he and his older bro they have won the local Pack overall title the last 4 years in a row, and each have also won several District championships. The older boy has 15 1st and 2nd place trophies, and the younger one has 8 so far.

The Ninja Warrior!

#30 Ministry of Pain

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,901 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

I think the rust colored shag carpet from the 70s added a nice touch.

"If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like this do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kind of sh-t you expect from an office temp with a bad attitude." -George Carlin R.I.P.

C=πd

A=πr(squared)

Cherry Pie Delicious, Apple Pies r 2 

#31 stlrams

stlrams

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 398 posts
  • Joined 07-December 05

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

it's all in the wheels and the axelsgraphite = :thumbup:

You're right - From what I remember building a car with my son. You have to sand off all the burrs from wheels and axles. Next you build the car that runs on 3 wheels but goes straight which creates less friction. Next, using graphite to lubricate axle and wheels. What I did is glued a piece of paper all the outside of the wheels which are concave. Next I poured in graphite into the hollow section of wheel so the wheels would self-lubricate. Came in 2nd place out of 50 or so cars.

#32 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35,283 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Beer.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

I won my last 3 years in Cub Scouts by cheating. I had additional holes drilled in the car, and after weigh-in but before the races, I would go to the bathroom and add additional lead weights (primarily in the nose) and then light a birthday candle I had in my pocket and drip wax into the holes after they were loaded with weights. Wait a minute or two for the wax to solidify and then drop it onto the track. No one ever figured it out. Always the ugliest car too, I would simply cut the nose at a 45 degree angle, leave the rest as is, paint it with white house paint and write "White Lightning" on the side in ballpoint pen. Hideous. People could never figure out why that ugly MFer was so fast.

As a Browns fan, I love Bill Cowher.  I hope he coaches the Steelers for another 20 years.  They'll never win anything.

Do not #### with Evilgrin. It's like taunting the Happy Fun Ball and does not end well.

EG, you remind me of my favorite comedian, Sam Kinison. God bless you, dude.

"Watching the Baltimore Ravens play football is like watching scum freeze on the eyeballs of a jackass." - Hunter S. Thompson

#33 glock

glock

"Don't grumble, give a whistle!"

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,046 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

I hate scout ####, but this is cool :thumbup:

What is there to hate about scout ####? :thumbup:

"There's an ol' Texas saying..." -GW

"Naturally, the common people don't want war...but after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism as exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.

273 #1506

"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobatomy" -Tom Waits
dot com insight - The Bank on MFL (2006 & 2007 Champ) - JT's Treehouse Blog

#34 glock

glock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,046 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

What I did do for the speed was 1) file down the axle nails at the ends and 2) had only 3 wheels touching the track. It happened by accident as we were putting on the wheels, but knowing that 3 is better than 4 in the pinewood, we kept it that way. I did have it right at the max weight at 4.97 ounces. There were 4 heats per car (4 cars per heat) and he came in 1st in 2 and 2nd in the other 2, so he was so happy. He even did all the prep and racing himself. He was in charge of the graphite and maintenance between races.

D.Q. based on most rules- although I did it a couple of years back when it wasn't listed as a rule. It does make a difference. The fastest cars are engineered by the dads who put the time in to square the axel cuts and most probably use the illegal speed axels. Maybe even the "illegal" grease in place of the graphite. I do as much as I can with the wheels short of getting involved in that business. AND max out the weight. My boys have always been competitive. That's all I want.

I still have one of my cars from 1967. :goodposting:

"Naturally, the common people don't want war...but after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism as exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.

273 #1506

"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobatomy" -Tom Waits

#35 TLEF316

TLEF316

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,689 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

may the best cheater win!!!!

cool car though MC.
Xbox Live Tag: Tlef316

one show that we all love is hard knock training with jets. uncle klompit like it so much that he want to be a coach now. it turn out that pop warners league in our town need a coach and uncle klompit decide to start there. he wanted to be just like that coach of jets so first practice he sit them kids down and start sayin #### this and #### them and ####. i guess that is a big no-no because they fire him like 10 minute later and some lady is now the coach. uncle klompit say if he get another chance to be a coach that instead of actually sayin "####s" he just gonna hold up middle finger. kipper say it may work because coachin is about adjustments.

#36 DaVinci

DaVinci

FairTaxguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,165 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

I won my last 3 years in Cub Scouts by cheating. I had additional holes drilled in the car, and after weigh-in but before the races, I would go to the bathroom and add additional lead weights (primarily in the nose) and then light a birthday candle I had in my pocket and drip wax into the holes after they were loaded with weights. Wait a minute or two for the wax to solidify and then drop it onto the track. No one ever figured it out. Always the ugliest car too, I would simply cut the nose at a 45 degree angle, leave the rest as is, paint it with white house paint and write "White Lightning" on the side in ballpoint pen. Hideous. People could never figure out why that ugly MFer was so fast.

:lmao: We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

#37 DaVinci

DaVinci

FairTaxguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,165 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

Speeder Bike
Y-Wing and space derby X-Wing

Edited by DaVinci, 04 February 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#38 gameday

gameday

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined 25-April 04

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

Here are a few more of our cars:

Our favorite car - - Elmo!

My Outlaw Entry for Parents/Sibs Division

Another Outlaw Entry :lmao: :hophead:

Steps to make one of the Outlaw cars

#39 glock

glock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,046 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

:shrug:

We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

:(

BTW- how much of a doosh can one be? "Wooo-wooo! Lookit me! I cheated big time in the Pinewood Derby and won 3 years in a row!!!!1!"

273 #1506

#40 Grandville

Grandville

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 253 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

:shrug: We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

We have weigh in when you check your car in for the race. Once the car has been checked in it is placed in a holding area and is not allowed to leave. The car is taken from the holding area to the track (10ft away) by the scout when it is his turn to race and then it goes straight to the holding area again.

#41 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35,283 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

:thumbup: We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

Maybe I wasn't the only one doing this over the years. :lol:

As a Browns fan, I love Bill Cowher.  I hope he coaches the Steelers for another 20 years.  They'll never win anything.

Do not #### with Evilgrin. It's like taunting the Happy Fun Ball and does not end well.

"Watching the Baltimore Ravens play football is like watching scum freeze on the eyeballs of a jackass." - Hunter S. Thompson

#42 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35,283 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

:lol:

BTW- how much of a doosh can one be? "Wooo-wooo! Lookit me! I cheated big time in the Pinewood Derby and won 3 years in a row!!!!1!"

I was a 9 year old kid. All I cared about was winning. Other kids brought their cars in all buffed and polished because they had dads at home to help them with it and people actually cared. I had the saw blade of a swiss army knife and a can of interior latex white paint. Winning was the only way not to be a laughing stock. I'm not patting myself on the back for doing it, but you have to admit for a 4th grader, it was pretty cool to be outsmarting the adults.

#43 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35,283 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

:thumbup: We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

We have weigh in when you check your car in for the race. Once the car has been checked in it is placed in a holding area and is not allowed to leave. The car is taken from the holding area to the track (10ft away) by the scout when it is his turn to race and then it goes straight to the holding area again.

They're obviously much more serious about it now (or a lot of people were caught cheating.) Late 70s, early 80s, we just had to show up 30-60 mins before the races and weigh in.. they'd write your name down as within acceptable weight and then you were off to do as you wished until it was your time to race.

#44 Pick

Pick

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,289 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

I've heard of people that have two groups. One is a no-holds-barred do whatever you want to the vehicle (although I'm sure there are some rules). And then one where the kid does the work.
Refs suck.

It is better to have died as a small child than to fumble this football.

#45 iamsmilin

iamsmilin

I want one, but I'm not creative

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

That's pretty cool! My 5 year old would love to have that as a toy!
Milk-a-what???

#46 glock

glock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,046 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

:lmao:

I was a 9 year old kid. All I cared about was winning. Other kids brought their cars in all buffed and polished because they had dads at home to help them with it and people actually cared. I had the saw blade of a swiss army knife and a can of interior latex white paint. Winning was the only way not to be a laughing stock. I'm not patting myself on the back for doing it, but you have to admit for a 4th grader, it was pretty cool to be outsmarting the adults.

Oh, awlright- I didn't know you were wingin' this on your own as a 9 year old- I thought you were one of the many self absorbed, over the top dads who can't just leave it alone.

Mon apologies.

edited to add: Pretty dam resourceful for a 9 year old. :thumbup:

Edited by glock, 04 February 2010 - 12:25 PM.

273 #1506

#47 St. Louis Bob

St. Louis Bob

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34,814 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

:bowtie: ;) :lmao:I always wanted to join the Boy Scouts but my Dad said it was for nerds and good place for little boys to get raped.

Don't bother me, I'm eating fried chicken with Uni under an overpass.

#48 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35,283 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

:yes:

Oh, awlright- I didn't know you were wingin' this on your own as a 9 year old- I thought you were one of the many self absorbed, over the top dads who can't just leave it alone.

Mon apologies.

edited to add: Pretty dam resourceful for a 9 year old. :thumbup:

No, my dad bailed before I got to that age. I would never do that with my own kid, nor would I ever condone cheating. However, when you're a mechanically inept 9 year old with no one to help you, you're pretty much SOL. Unless, of course, you're smarter than everyone else. Then, you can figure out how to cheat your way to victory. :lol:

#49 Giantseasonticketholder

Giantseasonticketholder

Whammy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,776 posts
  • Joined 06-May 03

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

In Action!
Ho Hum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users