#1 flufhed

flufhed

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,951 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:42 AM

I have always owned older houses, so I don't know a #### thing about automatic garage doors. Add to that the fact that I was a philosophy major and then went to law school and thus have no practical skills, and I am at a loss here. The garage door opens fine. If I push the button to close it, the light flashes and it comes back up. To get it to close I have to hold the button in until it gets to the bottom. Is this something I can fix without calling a garage door guy?

#2 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,803 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:49 AM

Have you two met?

joker post Yesterday, 12:51 PM

I'm having a similar problem, only I don't think it's the sunlight as it's only recently starting happening:

The garage door will open fine, but won't close w/the remotes and will only close with the one mounted on the garage wall if I hold it down until the door has closed completely - otherwise it just clicks and the light on the garage door flickers. Is it possible the sensors (both located near the bottom of the garage door track) are out of sync (not pointing directly at each other)? If that's not the issue, what else could it be?

Oh yeah - sorry for the hijack.

http://forums.footba...x...&p=11723691

NTTIAWWT :blackdot:

Edited by belljr, 15 April 2010 - 05:50 AM.

trys

#3 derek245583

derek245583

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,455 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Football, baseball, basketball, gambling

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

I have always owned older houses, so I don't know a #### thing about automatic garage doors. Add to that the fact that I was a philosophy major and then went to law school and thus have no practical skills, and I am at a loss here. The garage door opens fine. If I push the button to close it, the light flashes and it comes back up. To get it to close I have to hold the button in until it gets to the bottom. Is this something I can fix without calling a garage door guy?

Mine does the exact same thing....I am pretty sure its the sunlight hitting the sensors and the sensors thinking something is in the way. I am going to take the sensors off and see what happens.

I am marginal at sports betting and get hot sometimes

#4 Foosball God

Foosball God

Foos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,670 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

There are two photo sensor near the ground at either side of your garage door. They are there to stop the garage door from closing if there is something in the path of the door. Likely one of the sensors got bumped or moved and it is not lining up correctly. Adjust the sensors until they line up and allow you to close the door by pressing the button on your remote once.
RIP Shining Path. You were a great poster and a great friend.

#5 James Bond

James Bond

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts
  • Joined 02-July 07

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

Your photoelectric eyes are probably out of alignment. On most, there is a green light (LED) on each unit that should be lit steadily. If your's is flickering, then you need to adjust it so that it remains steadily lit. If you accidentally bumped them they may not be directly facing eachother. That should do the trick.

#6 flufhed

flufhed

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,951 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

Thanks everybody. :goodposting:

#7 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69,570 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:X|O|O
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

Same as the other guy. Goalpost Relocation is the answer here.

#8 Sweet Love

Sweet Love

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,593 posts
  • Joined 03-September 03
  • Interests:Voodoo women named Phyllis

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

Your photoelectric eyes are probably out of alignment. On most, there is a green light (LED) on each unit that should be lit steadily. If your's is flickering, then you need to adjust it so that it remains steadily lit. If you accidentally bumped them they may not be directly facing eachother. That should do the trick.

This is probably it, but you may also have a substance on one of the sensors, so i would be sure to wipe them down too while you are at it.

IBL 2014:

Roster:

QB - Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill

RB - Reggie Bush, Rashad Jennings, Chris Johnson, Justin Forsett, Isiah Crowell

WR - Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffrey, Larry Fitzgerald, Emmanuel Sanders, Kelvin Benjamin, Jarvis Landry

TE - Martellus Bennett

DEF - Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions

K - Stephen Gostkowski, Caleb Sturgis

Record - 45-25 through Week 10

#9 joker

joker

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

So I checked my garage sensors and neither of the LED's are lit. I assume I have a short somewhere? Is there an easy way to find it?
"ok, now it time time to return you trains to they upright position because this gonna knock you sonks off"

"I declares today is helen biscuits day."

#10 SHIZNITTTT

SHIZNITTTT

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,658 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

So I checked my garage sensors and neither of the LED's are lit. I assume I have a short somewhere? Is there an easy way to find it?

Put your tongue on any exposed wire to see if it is getting current. If you don't feel a tingly sensation on your tongue with one of the exposed wires you have found your problem.

http://www0.xup.in/e...hp?fid=12914630

Keepin' it grown and sexy.

#11 2Young2BBald

2Young2BBald

Footbaldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,323 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

No. I have had similar issues with my sensors. For me, the low voltage wiring between the sensors and to the unit have become so brittle, I cannot cut them back and use them any more. As a temp "fix" I pulled both sensors and duct-tapped them face to face and wired them (with some wire I had left over from a ceiling fan install a few weekends ago) as if they were in place from the receiver to the sender and up to the opener. I am not recommending this due to the obvious dangers of not having them in proper place. I am going to get some LV wiring and rewire the whole thing as soon as I can (and warned the entire family to be VERY careful around the door until I can get the sensors back in place).

#12 Chaz McNulty

Chaz McNulty

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,830 posts
  • Joined 24-May 03

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

I have always owned older houses, so I don't know a #### thing about automatic garage doors. Add to that the fact that I was a philosophy major and then went to law school and thus have no practical skills, and I am at a loss here.

The garage door opens fine.

If I push the button to close it, the light flashes and it comes back up. To get it to close I have to hold the button in until it gets to the bottom.

Is this something I can fix without calling a garage door guy?

Mine does the exact same thing....I am pretty sure its the sunlight hitting the sensors and the sensors thinking something is in the way.

I am going to take the sensors off and see what happens.

If you take the sensors off it wont help. They are fail safe, which means that when a photo eye has a fault or fails than the garage will not open until you get them fixed. They have to do it this way otherwise you wouldn't be aware that you have a faulty sensor that may not prevent the garage from coming down on a child.

You can probably bypass the sensor at the PCB where the terminals come in. It is probably a normally closed circuit that faults when the circuit opens up (someone standing between the sensors). If you short the two inputs at the PCB it will think that the circuit is closed and everything is OK. I wouldn't recommend this for a long term solution though, because you really should have the photo eyes fixed.

#13 2Young2BBald

2Young2BBald

Footbaldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,323 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have always owned older houses, so I don't know a #### thing about automatic garage doors. Add to that the fact that I was a philosophy major and then went to law school and thus have no practical skills, and I am at a loss here.

The garage door opens fine.

If I push the button to close it, the light flashes and it comes back up. To get it to close I have to hold the button in until it gets to the bottom.

Is this something I can fix without calling a garage door guy?

Mine does the exact same thing....I am pretty sure its the sunlight hitting the sensors and the sensors thinking something is in the way.

I am going to take the sensors off and see what happens.

If you take the sensors off it wont help. They are fail safe, which means that when a photo eye has a fault or fails than the garage will not open until you get them fixed. They have to do it this way otherwise you wouldn't be aware that you have a faulty sensor that may not prevent the garage from coming down on a child.

You can probably bypass the sensor at the PCB where the terminals come in. It is probably a normally closed circuit that faults when the circuit opens up (someone standing between the sensors). If you short the two inputs at the PCB it will think that the circuit is closed and everything is OK. I wouldn't recommend this for a long term solution though, because you really should have the photo eyes fixed.

This didn't work for me when I tried it. Seemed like an easy fix to just complete the circuit, but no dice. This is why I had to rig the sensors together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users