What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Injury Recap, All 32 teams Offensive Skill positions (1 Viewer)

Mark Wimer

Hey Sharks,

Here's the 2010 injury recap (all offensive skill positions QB, RB, WR, TE, PK). Please review and advise of items that need to be added to the report going forward. Updated Tuesday Morning 9/7/10 to reflect that WAS QB Donovan McNabb was back in practice on Monday after sitting out two weeks with a sore ankle.

A complete edit/revision/update of all entries was completed in the evening on 9/1/10. This will be the last complete revision of this report (although any breaking news that needs to be added over the Labor Day weekend will be included as news warrants).

Please post any new items or updates that need including in the overall report.

Reader suggestions are always welcome at wimer@footballguys.com.

LINK to first post/report.

Thanks,

Mark Wimer, www.footballguys.com

Quarterbacks

CAR QB Jimmy Clausen sat out of practice Monday, Aug. 23, because of a toe injury. He had offseason surgery on his right big toe - the old injury/surgically repaired toe may have been aggravated by his long appearance in the second preseason game. In any case, whether this problem is related to the old injury or a new one, Clausen is not 100% as of week three of the preseason. Clausen did play at the end of the third preseason game, and posted 4/5 for 79 yards on August 28th.

CIN QB Carson Palmer said on March 14 that he is four-to-six weeks away from throwing after having surgery on his left thumb to repair ligament damage earlier during the offseason (mid-January). He has fully participated in training camp, though Palmer is wearing a left knee brace during training camp and preseason games as a precaution - he intends to wear it this year to protect his knee (that was injured during 2005). Palmer had a solid outing during week three of the preseason, with 9/11 for 95 yards and two TDs vs. Buffalo.

CLE QB Jake Delhomme has been working out with the Browns' receivers extensively since March 15, according to reports out of Cleveland on May 23. He seems to be past the nagging injuries that hampered him in Carolina during 2009. On June 5, Browns head coach Eric Mangini said "He's had a really good week. Jake just picks things up and some of it is him picking up and some of it is just him knowing, him understanding, and you don't have to go too in depth with why you're doing it because he gets it. ... It's nice too from a defensive perspective because he's challenging those guys. If your disguise isn't right, he's going to get you." As of June 27, reports out of Cleveland indicated that Delhomme is considered the front-runner to be the starting QB for Cleveland this year. Delhomme looked strong in the Browns' first preseason game and seems to be past his troubles from 2009. Delhomme threw 20/25 for 152 yards, one TD and zero interceptions in the third preseason game.

CLE QB Colt McCoy left in the third quarter of the Browns preseason game against the Packer after banging his right thumb on a helmet, but X-rays were negative and it's believed to be just a sprain as of 8/16/10. McCoy is expected to miss a few days of practice according to local reports on 8/16/10. McCoy tossed 10/14 for 76 yards in the third preseason game. He is expected to have an extended appearance in the final preseason contest - McCoy said on 9/1/10 his goal in the game was to improve his game. "Make sure that I'm working on something that's going to make me better today than I was yesterday. That's all you can ask for yourself, the goals that you set. Obviously I've got really high expectations for myself, so do a lot of people on this team, my coaches. I'd like to go out there and play the best I can and get something going offensively that we can put on tape and be proud of."

DEN QB Tim Tebow missed part of practice on August 18th after his bruised ribs got increasingly sore - he suffered the rib injury in the first preseason game taking a helmet to the ribs as he dived for a TD in the losing Denver effort. Tebow was 5/10 for 72 yards, one TD and one interception during the third preseason game.

DET QB Matthew Stafford (shoulder and knee injuries suffered during 2009 - the shoulder injury cost him the final four games of the season) said on March 15, "The shoulder feels good. The knee's coming along. I threw today full speed, felt pretty good. Obviously, it's just going to keep getting better. I'm excited to be back and ready to go." Stafford has displayed a strong, precise arm during training camp practices, according to reports out of the Lions' trainign camp. He appears to have improved his arm strength while rehabbing his shoulder. Stafford had a solid game during the first preseason contest August 14th (8/11 for 61 yards, one TD and one interception) and appears fully recovered from his 2009 injuries. He posted 13/17 for 141 yards, one TD and zero interceptions in the third preseason game - Stafford looks very good entering regular season.

KC QB Brodie Croyle (arm) has an injury to his throwing arm and was limited for the second straight day Tuesday, Aug. 24. It is unknown if Croyle will be able to play in the team's next preseason game. Croyle was limited earlier in training camp by an injured finger. He didn't appear in the third preseason game.

MIA QB Chad Pennington is fighting back from shoulder surgery, and has said (on June 23) that he will be ready for the season. Pennington will be the veteran mentor to new starter Chad Henne if Pennington sticks on the roster. As of the second week of August, head coach Sparano doesn't plan to play Pennington much during preseason, indicating that he knows how much work Pennington will need to be ready by regular season. Pennington did play in the third preseason game and threw 7/14 for 62 yards.

MIN QB Brett Favre did undergo the ankle surgery necessary for him to be healthy by training camp, according to reports on May 21. Favre commented on his ankle's rehabilitation on 7/21 saying: "After almost nine weeks, it's not where I would like it to be, but I'm working at it. Maybe it never gets to where I want it to be. 40 years old...three surgeries...that's all you need to know." As of August 18th he is with the team and Favre (ankle) could see some snaps during the team's preseason game Sunday, Aug. 22, but seems certain to play extensively in the team's third preseason contest Saturday, Aug. 28, reports John Clayton, of ESPN. Favre commented in a post-practice interview that he isn't 100% healthy, but that he hasn't been 100% healthy for the last two seasons, either. Favre received an injection of lubricant in his ailing left ankle following the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 28 (he went 16/26 for 187 yards, zero TDs and two interceptions during the game). Favre feels better after his most recent surgery, but not really that good, according to Peter King of SI.com. The Vikings will attempt to manage the pain, but Favre said he didn't think he'd take any painkillers stronger than Motrin. 'It's catching up with me, all this stuff,' Favre said. Favre also revealed that there was a new bone spur in his injured ankle that Dr. Andrews discovered during his reveiw of Favre's ankle.

NE QB Tom Brady exited 2009 with a variety of injuries (shoulder, finger, and rib injuries) that forced him out of the Pro Bowl. However, Brady publicly stated on Monday, January 25 that none of the injuries were serious enough to require surgery. Brady joined his teammates at voluntary organized team activities Tuesday, June 1 - the injuries do not appear to be a concern going forwards. However, Brady injured a finger during the first preseason game, and as usual the Patriots are not being forthcoming with details about the severity of the injury: "I don't think it's life-threatening," said coach Bill Belichick on August 15th. Stay tuned to see how much practice time Brady misses (if any). Brady indicated on August 16th that the injury isn't serious and that he's not concerned about it. Brady had a great third preseason game, with 18/22 for 273 yards, three TDs and zero interceptions on August 26th.

NYG QB Eli Manning spent the first months of 2010 rehabbing nagging right foot and ankle injuries that plagued him for most of the 2009 season. He underwent testing and a MRI in early February to make sure that the healing process was on track/going as expected. He has fully participated since the start of training camp - the ankle isn't an issue entering regular season. However, Manning did cut a serious cut on his head during preseason - he said on Tuesday, August 17th, that he suffered no major ill effects after having a three-inch gash opened on his forehead in the team's preseason game Monday, Aug. 16. "I feel fine," Manning said, "I feel normal." The Giants confirmed that Manning showed no signs of a concussion and that X-rays were negative. Twelve stitches were needed to close the gash and Manning was sent home by the medical staff. The team is going to hold Manning out of the second preseason game to avoid aggravating the gash - the move is precautionary and not due to any big concern over Manning's health. Manning may play some in non-contact drills wearing a ball-cap, but he won't be putting on a helmet anytime soon. Manning returned to practices on Monday, August 23rd in the ball-cap, but was strictly off-limits for contact. He did play in the third preseason game, with 9/18 for 63 yards, zero TDs and one interception.

NYG QB Jim Sorgi has further injured his shoulder - Sorgi suffered a torn capsule and partial dislocation of his right throwing shoulder and will miss the rest of the preseason. The injury is serious enough that Sorgi landed on IR on August 31st - Rhett Bomar is now Eli Manning's backup.

NYJ QB Mark Sanchez is on schedule in his rehabilitation of a knee injury/surgery. Sanchez said on May 12 that he has begun jogging on turf and hoped to be able to participate in the team's minicamp in June. On June 3, he said he believed he would be able to participate in the team's minicamp. Sanchez did not participate in team drills during afternoon practice Monday, June 14, because the team wanted to limit Sanchez to morning practice only during their minicamp - he did participate in the morning practices, though, which is a good sign regarding his recovery. Sanchez said on June 14 that he expects to be a full participant when training camp starts. Sanchez threw for 13/17 for 119 yards, one TD and one interception in the first preseason game and appears to be fully healthy as of week two of the preseason. Sanchez took a blow to his repaired knee during the second preseason game. Sanchez will reportedly be wearing knee protection for 2010. The Jets quarterback admitted Tuesday August 24th that he will have a brace over his surgically repaired left knee this season and "probably forever" after he got a scare during the preseason game at Carolina. He posted 13/21 for 139 yards, one TD and one interception in the third preseason game vs. Washington.

OAK QB Jason Campbell suffered a stinger in the game on Saturday, August 27th and was carted off the field - "It felt a lot worse at the time that it happened, but ... they don't think it's going to be really, really serious," Campbell said after the Raiders' 28-24 loss. "But at the same time it's something we've got to take care of before the season starts." As of the 8/31/10, Campbell (wrist, stinger) is unlikely to play in the team's preseason finale Thursday, Sept. 2, according to local reports. Head coach Tom Cable, however, left open the possibility that Campbell could play in the game. "Don't know that yet," Cable said. "And it has nothing to do with injuries, it has to do with what we're going to do with our team."

OAK QB Bruce Gradkowski tore his left pectoral muscle while bench pressing 250 pounds Wednesday, April 14, at team headquarters and had surgery Friday, April 16, to repair the damage, according to his agent, Ralph Cindrich. Cindrich added, "Bruce will be fine by training camp. It was a clean tear and the prognosis is good. The weight isn't an unusual amount for an NFL player, even for a quarterback. It just happened." Gradkowski is expected to make a full recovery in time for training camp. Gradkowski tweaked his groin on Friday, August sixth and is expected to miss the preseason opener as a result. Gradkowski played well in the third preseason game vs. San Francisco, with 14/22 for 202 yards, two TDs and zero interceptions.

PIT QB Byron Leftwich will miss two to four weeks after a sprained MCL to his left knee in the second quarter of Thursday night's final preseason game. Dennis Dixon is now the starting QB in Pittsburgh while Ben Roethlisberger serves his suspension.

SEA QB Matt Hasselbeck struggled with a shoulder injury in the closing weeks of the 2009 season, and the team moved to add QB Charlie Whitehurst to the roster earlier this offseason via a high-profile trade with the Chargers. During the month of June, there were several positive reports about Hasselbeck's performance during OTAs and minicamp - he currently looks like the front runner for the #1 QB job. However, on August ninth it was reported that Hasselbeck is dealing with a hamstring injury. He sat out team drills on August eighth. Head coach Pete Carroll indicated Hasselbeck is expected to be back at full speed Tuesday, Aug. 10. Stay tuned on this injury - hamstring injuries can become nagging problems if they aren't handled properly. Hasselbeck struggled in the first preseason game with just 4/10 for 26 yards passing to his credit. However, Hasselbeck played much better in week two of the preseason, with 11/15 for 127 yards and one TD. Hasselbeck threw 9/17 for 126 yards vs. Minnesota in the third preseason game.

STL QB A.J. Feeley has injured his right thumb as of August 21st (he may also have injured his wrist, but the team is only confirming the thumb injury). Coach Steve Spagnuolo hasn't decided who will be the starter in St. Louis as of August 26th - if Feeley can get back on the field soon it sounds like he is still in the mix for the top job. "Every time they go out there, they're being evaluated," Spagnuolo said. "We've always said we're going to play the guy who we think gives us the best chance to win. We'll see at the end of it. We've got this game and one more, against Baltimore."

TB QB Josh Freeman suffered a broken right thumb (throwing hand) during week 2 preseason action. He'll be out until regular season (at the minimum) - further evaluations are ongoing, but this is obviously a big concern for Freeman and the TB offense. As of August 31st, Freeman had the soft cast removed from his fractured right thumb in anticipation of returning to practice this week [the week prior to the Labor Day holiday weekend - MW].

WAS QB Donovan McNabb (tweaked ankle) was ruled out of the team's preseason game Friday, Aug. 27th - he will use the time off to get his sore ankle back in order. Coach Shanahan indicated on August 28th that McNabb's status for the first regular season game is up in the air as of the last week in August. "I really don't know for sure," Shanahan said Sunday. "That's why it's day by day. We'll see how it goes." McNabb participated in practice Monday, Sept. 6. McNabb had been sitting out since injuring his ankle two weeks ago.

Running Backs

ARI RB Beanie Wells hurt his ribs on August ninth, but he did not suffer any fractured ribs and is considered day-to-day - this appears to be a minor concern as of August 10th. Wells played in the first preseason game and posted 11/36/0 rushing and 2/8/0 receiving. Wells also suffered a knee injury of undisclosed severity in the final preseason game, and according to local reports he is "not 100%" entering week one of the regular season. This is a developing situation - stay tuned when the official NFL injury reports are released later in week one.

ATL RB Michael Turner struggled with an ankle injury late during the 2009 season. The team reported him as recovered from the injury on March 24, 2010, but the team is planning to monitor his touches. Turner said on May 8 "I've been here doing a little extra cardio. I changed my eating habits a little bit. ... I've just really been staying on top of it this offseason because that's when you tend to eat more junk food and things like that. I'm just trying to get in the habit of eating healthy and get that conditioning part out of the way so I don't have to worry about it later on." On June 5, Turner said he didn't feel better until about two months ago. "When I first came back in March I still wasn't feeling the same," Turner said. "I kept working on it and got all the soreness out and feel fine right now." On June 23, Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith said Turner might be in the best shape of his Falcons career. Smith also admitted he probably rushed Turner back to action last season after suffering an ankle injury. As a result, Smith realized that he doesn't want to run Turner into the ground, and added there will be "parameters" on how often Turner carries the ball this season. On July 28th, it was reported that Turner is 100% healthy entering training camp. Turner rushed for 4/29/0 and had 1/6/0 receiving in the first preseason game. He ran for 16/47/0 during the third preseason game on August 27th, and appears 100% for the regular season.

ATL RB Jerious Norwood suffered from a sore hip flexor during the waning weeks of the 2009 season. He has been tendered a first-round offer by the Falcons (Norwood is a restricted free agent entering 2010). As of May 8, he was still working on rehabbing his hip problem (during the first Falcon's mini-camp, he was doing rehabilitation workouts with Jeff Fish, the Falcons' Director of Performance). Norwood did practice with the team in the early session of a May minicamp, but was then pulled for later workouts as he experienced soreness in his hip. Norwood is reportedly still working through soreness in his hip as of early June. On July 28th, he was reportedly healthy and ready for the start of training camp. However, after the first padded practice of camp on August second, Norwood was sidelined (again) by a hip flexor injury. Coach Mike Smith indicated that Norwood didn't re-injure his hip flexor, but this was a new injury in the "same general area". Norwood said on August 16th that he has been battling a hip flexor injury for 10 months. 'Hopefully we have the problem fixed now so I can put on the pads and play ball." Norwood did appear in the third preseason game, with 5/22/0 rushing and 1/8/0 receving to his credit.

BAL RB Mike McLaughlin has been placed on IR - his season is over.

BUF RB Fred Jackson will miss at least the remainder of the preseason after suffering a hand injury Friday, Aug. 13 - the team is saying his time-frame for recovery is 4-6 weeks. Jackson is using the "Got Milk?" strategy to try and speed the healing of his hand injury, according to local reports. Jackson said on August 30th that, “I don’t even like milk and I’m trying to get as much of it in me as possible. Hopefully I can get it taken care of and get back.” He is reportedly hoping to be healed in time to play Week 1. Jackson participated in practice Tuesday, Aug. 31, but was wearing a hard plastic cast on his left hand, according to local reports. Jackson said he struggled holding the ball with his left hand while wearing the brace but was able to catch passes. He believes he has a chance to play in Week 1. "I feel there’s a 100 percent chance I could play, but it’s going to come down to how much they want to get me out there and if they want to use me," Jackson said. "I still don’t know what the deal is, but I think we’ll find out more next week."

BUF RB Marshawn Lynch struggled with a late-season shoulder injury during 2009 - he is rumored to be on the trading block for the Bills. Also, as of August 14th Lynch is expected to miss three to four weeks because of the sprained ankle he suffered in the team's first preseason game. Lynch (ankle) participated in practice Tuesday, Aug. 31, and will play in the final preseason game Thursday, Sept. 2, according to local reports. "Marshawn took quite a few reps today and looked good. He didn’t look like there were any residual effects so we’re looking forward to seeing him Thursday night," head coach Chan Gailey said.

CAR RB DeAngelo Williams is reportedly doing well after having an offseason procedure to clean up his ankle. He is expected to make a full recovery, according to GM Marty Hurney on Friday, March 5. Williams is expected to be on time for training camp despite not receiving a contract extension during the offseason. Williams has played well in the preseason games and appears fully recovered from his ankle surgery as of the third week of preseason. He posted 9/13/0 rushing and 1/6/0 receiving in the third game during an abbreviated appearance.

CAR RB Jonathan Stewart had surgery in January to remove a bone spur from pressing into his Achilles tendon to relieve bursitis and tendonitis that had been an ongoing issue for Stewart throughout 2009. Stewart did begin running after practice on June 14 - he appears to be right on schedule in his rehabilitation. As of July 19, Stewart's Achilles' is 100 percent healthy entering the 2010 season, according to reports on the NFL Network. However, Stewart started training camp on the PUP, doing minimal individual work during the first sessions. He is said to be "close to healthy", but the team is taking a cautious approach to ramping up his practice participation. Stewart has sat out of the team's first two practices, and said he has not been 100 percent healthy since his last year in college. "Once I get healthy, it is going to be one of the best days of my life." Stewart did not play in the intra-squad scrimmage on Saturday, August seventh. Stewart practiced on a limited basis Saturday, Aug. 14, which brings him one step closer to recovery. Stewart did not appear in the second preseason game on August 21st, but did work out on the sidelines during warm-ups. He warmed up on the sidelines prior to the third preseason game, but again did not take the field. Our own Dr. Jene Bramel has penned an excellent article on Jonathan Stewart's Achilles woes - subscribers to Footballguys.com may read it HERE. I highly recommend anyone considering drafting Stewart read this article. - MW 8/24/10

CLE RB Montario Hardesty is lost for the season after tearing an ACL in his knee - he is now on IR for 2010.

CHI RB Matt Forte (knee) underwent arthroscopic knee surgery early in the month of January. As of March 24, Bears head coach Lovie Smith said RB Matt Forte will be the starting running back initially but that he will be in competition with RB Chester Taylor. On June 14, Forte commented that he is completely healthy after suffering hamstring and knee injuries last season - "I know I have more burst," Forte said. "I look different on tape. I was missing burst last year, and a second gear. It really wasn't there." Forte broke off an 89-yard touchdown run and finished the game with five carries for 109 yards rushing in the second preseason game on August 21st. He appears to be fully recovered from the arthroscopic knee surgery.

CHI RB Harvey Unga said he hopes his pulled hamstring does not keep him out of practice for a long time - he is sidelined as of Monday, August second. Unga said the hamstring pull is 'not that bad' and that he should be back on the field soon. However, the injury was more serious than Unga let on earlier in the month, as he was placed on IR on August 12th, 2010. His season is now over.

CIN RB Brian Leonard left the team's preseason game Sunday, Aug. 8, with a left foot injury - the injury "doesn't look too good" according to Leonard. As of August 10th, initial estimates range from Leonard missing the entire pre-season to perhaps being placed on IR and missing the entire year. Further evaluations are ongoing. Head coach Marvin Lewis said on 8/11/10 RB Brian Leonard's (foot) foot injury does not appear to be season-ending but it will take a few weeks before he is close to fully recovered. There have been no updates regarding Leonard's status as of 9/1/10.

DAL RB Marion Barber III: On Tuesday, June 8 it was revealed that Barber played the final 13 games of 2009 with a torn left quadriceps muscle, though he only missed one game due to the injury. On June 14, offensive coordinator Jason Garrett remarked on Barber's struggles during 2009: "The biggest factor with Marion has been his health. You could see that he was fighting through it [the quadriceps injury - MW]. We have no reason to think otherwise that when he's healthy and ready to go, he'll be the same Marion Barber we've seen in the past." Barber will battle Felix Jones for the starting job during training camp. Multiple Dallas sources reported on July 25th that Barber looks a lot quicker and leaner than he did in 2009 as of the start of the 2010 training camp. Since the start of training camp multiple reports out of Dallas indicate that Barber remains the starter and the mix of running backs during 2010 should be roughly the same as 2009.

DAL RB Felix Jones was bothered by swelling in his knee on July 28th. He commented on July 29th that he feels fine after experiencing some swelling in his knee Wednesday, July 28. Jones also noted he feels comfortable catching the ball out of the backfield, as he feels he can do a lot more things in space. Stay tuned to see if the knee continues to be an issue for Jones during training camp. Jones was on the field for a few plays during the team's first preseason game. Jones rushed for 3/4/0 in a short appearance during the second preseason game August 21st.

DEN-now-ex-PHI RB J.J. Arrington (a free agent as of 9/7/10), who is trying to recover from knee surgery last year, is getting close to "the feeling that I'm 100 percent." He proclaimed on June 11 that he is now "about 80, 85 percent. I get better every week. Last week I could only run a straight line, this week I can make turns. By training camp, I'll be ready to go." Arrington sat out of practices August sixth and seventh due to a left foot strain. Arrington didn't appear in the boxscore after the second preseason game (August 20th).

DEN RB Correll Buckhalter suffered a hamstring injury during the same drill that knocked out Knowshon Moreno on 8/1/10 - he'll be evaluated further as the week goes along. Buckhalter has a minor hamstring injury, and he should not miss too much action, according to reports on 8/2/10. Buckhalter has been medically cleared to return to practice, but the team likely will hold him out until Monday, Aug. 9, according to reports out of Denver. However, Buckhalter is seeking medical advice from specialists during the week of August 9th-14th due to an ongoing issue with his back and neck. This is a situation fantasy owners will want to monitor carefully, as Knowshon Moreno may miss all of preseason due to his hamstring injury - and could miss more time if he suffers a setback in his recovery from a badly strained/possibly partially torn hamstring. Buckhalter sat out of the August 15th preseason game. Buckhalter returned to practice on August 31st, according to local reports.

DEN RB Knowshon Moreno was carted off the field (8/1/10) with what appears to be an injury to his right knee or ankle during the first practice of training camp. Moreno’s injury came as the Broncos were lining for offense vs. defense contact drill. As of 8/2 there are conflicting reports about whether or not Moreno suffered a partial tear of his hamstring, but one thing is clear: Moreno will be out two to three weeks at a minimum while he recovers from the hamstring injury, and he could potentially miss more time depending on how quickly the injury heals. As of August 10th, there was speculation in the Denver press that Moreno may not see any preseason action due to his injured hamstring. A report on August 20th indicated that Moreno may try to practice during the week of August 23rd-27th. Moreno (hamstring) appears to be on schedule to be ready for the start of the regular season, according to local reports on August 28th. However, on August 30th a conflicting report from local media indicated that Moreno does not appear close to returning. Moreno was running and cutting very gingerly before the team’s preseason game Sunday, Aug. 29. Moreno said on August 31st that he is around 80 percent recovered from the hamstring injury he suffered at the start of training camp. Head coach Josh McDaniels said he is not concerned about Moreno not being ready for the start of the regular season even though he has missed a majority of practice time because Moreno went through a similar situation last year.

DEN RB LenDale White was pulled from his first practice with his new team due to cramps, and missed practice Saturday August seventh as well. He sat out of the first preseason game on August 15th. White was expected to finally return to practice on August 25th, according to local reports. White injured his Achilles tendon in the final preseason game and is now on IR. His season is over.

DET RB Kevin Smith (knee surgery and shoulder injury) said on his blog Thursday, March 25 that the rehab from his reconstructive knee surgery is on schedule. Reports out of Detroit on July 16 indicated Smith should be cleared 100 percent by the medical staff at the end of July, but the Lions are likely to slowly work him back into the mix during training camp. Smith was removed from the physically unable to perform list and practiced Saturday, July 31st. Smith did rush for 3/6/0 and snagged 2/13/0 receiving during the second preseason game. However, Smith had eight carries for 20 yards and lost a fumble during the team’s preseason game Saturday, Aug. 28. Head coach Jim Schwartz commented after the game, “Kevin's usually pretty good with the football, he doesn't fumble very often and I'm sure he's very disappointed to put that ball on the ground. It really wasn't a big hit but, again, he's coming back from a major injury and there are a million things going through his mind and ball security was one of the last ones. He needs to do a better job of taking care of that football. He did a nice job in the pass game and in protections and all that stuff. Kevin's still working his way back from a major injury."

GB RB James Starks started camp on PUP due to an injured hamstring, and as of August 16th has yet to practice at all with his new team. He didn't appear in the second preseason game, either. Starks was placed on the PUP to start the season and is out for at least 6 weeks.

GB RB Quinn Porter was sent to IR due to a MCL problem in one of his knees - his season is over.

HOU RB Steve Slaton underwent surgery for a nerve problem in his spine on Thursday, February 11. During the July 4 holiday weekend, Slaton tweeted "Thanks everyone for your thoughts but … I'm back," Slaton said, via Twitter. "Thank you Lord for watching over me and helping me heal fast and correctly." Head coach Gary Kubiak has said he will not hold Slaton back from contact during camp. Slaton played in the first preseason game but fumbled at the goal-line in a continuation of fumbling woes he suffered during 2009. He managed 5/19/0 rushing and 1/-4/0 receiving in the second preseason game on August 21st. Slaton left the team's game Saturday, Aug. 28, with turf toe. Slaton is unlikely to play in the team's preseason finale, but head coach Gary Kubiak said he could be available for the team's Week 1 game. 'It's not too, too bad. I'll be ready ... It'll heal with treatment. (I've got) plenty of time,' Slaton said. He noted he had the same thing happen his rookie year, but was able to bounce back quickly.

HOU RB Ben Tate suffered a badly broken ankle Saturday, August 14th, and will undergo surgery to repair the joint. He is widely expected to miss the entire football season, and that was confirmed when the team website reported on 8/16/10 that Tate would go on the injured reserve list.

IND RB Joseph Addai reportedly sustained a concussion during the team's preseason game Thursday, Aug. 26. Addai said, "It's nothing. I was fine. I just got a little dizzy, but I was cool." Addai described his injury more of just getting the wind knocked out of him...Stay tuned to see how long (if at all) Addai is out of practices.

JAX RB Maurice Jones-Drew is expected to miss the last two weeks of preseason action due to a knee problem. There are conflicting reports about whether or not he had arthroscopic "clean up" surgery on the knee, but we do know that he is out of action while he heals up from whatever the problem is.

JAX FB/RB Greg Jones went on IR Thursday, December 17, 2009 due to a high ankle sprain. He's struggled with injuries throughout his career and will likely be in a fight for a roster spot entering the 2010 training camp. Jones participated in practice Monday, June 7, but said at that time that he needed more time before he is completely healed. He is battling Brock Brolen for playing time as the #2 FB as of 9/7/10.

KC RB Jackie Battle was placed on IR October 15, 2009 due to a shoulder injury. On Saturday, May 29 reports out of KC indicated that Battle is expected to fight for the #3 RB slot on the roster during training camp. Battle led the team in rushing during the second preseason game, with 11/59/0 and added 1/9/0 receiving to his total that day. He also led the team in rushing during the third preseason game, with 10/49/0.

KC RB Jamaal Charles did not participate in the team's offseason workout Monday, May 17, because he underwent shoulder surgery this offseason. The team plans to ease Charles back into the action so as to not aggravate the shoulder unnecessarily. Charles stated on May 22 that he will be ready for the start of training camp and said his shoulder is holding up fine. Charles was the second K.C. back during the first preseason game (after a cameo appearance by Thomas Jones) - he rushed for 4/37/0 and snagged 2/6/0 receiving during the contest. Charles was able to post 5/26/0 rushing and 3/23/0 receiving during the second preseason game. He appears to be past the shoulder issue heading into the third preseason game. Charles posted 6/40/0 rushing and 1/20/0 receiving during the third preseason game on 8/27/10.

MIA RB Ronnie Brown said on Sunday, May 23 that he is still battling soreness in his foot (Brown was placed on injured reserve in November 2009 with a Lisfranc fracture in his right foot.) However, be aware Brown was arrested for DUI in Georgia on March 21, reportedly with a blood alcohol content of over .15 (the legal limit in GA is .08). It remains to be seen what the impact of his DUI arrest will have on Brown's availability for the 2010 season. "We will see. He's doing pretty well," coach Tony Sparano said regarding Brown's rehabilitation on May 8. On June 9, Brown revealed he was told by doctors not to run for two weeks after a screw was taken out of his surgically repaired foot week sometime during the first week of June. On July 30th, it was reported that Brown has been medically cleared to participate during training camp. Brown played in the team's first preseason game (5/20/0 rushing). Brown commented on August 25th: "I feel real good. It was a little different coming back from the foot injury. It was a little easier than the knee. Everything has fallen into place as far as timetables. Everything looks good. Everything feels good. I'm just looking forward to the season to start.". Brown had 8/9/0 rushing and 1/19/0 receiving to his credit during the third preseason game vs. ATL.

MIA RB Patrick Cobbs was placed on IR on October 14, 2009 due to a torn ACL in his knee. He's in the process of rehabilitating the injury as of April 2010. On July 8, Cobbs commented on his ongoing rehab: "I've got a little further to go. Right when I think I feel good, I'm not back to my old self and there's just no other way to look at it," Cobbs said. "But I'm getting better every day and I feel like if we had a game tomorrow I'd be able to give it my all and go just as much as anybody else. The progress is going along well. I don't have a timeline to when I'm going to be 100 percent but it's definitely going well." Cobbs was held out of an August seventh scrimmage due to his knee injury/rehab. He did play vs. Jacksonville on August 21st, with 9/16/0 rushing and 1/9/0 receiving to his credit. He had 2/6/0 rushing in the third preseason game vs. ATL.

MIA RB Ricky Williams ended the 2009 season hampered by a shoulder injury. On Tuesday, April 20, 2010 Williams was reportedly excited about playing football and is looking to play beyond the 2010 season. "Obviously this season is going to have a lot to do with that," Williams said, "but right now I feel I could do it." Williams posted 3/10/0 rushing and 2/0/0 receiving during the team's first preseason game. Williams posted 3/16/0 rushing and 1/8/0 receiving in the second preseason game on August 21st. He posted 4/5/0 rushing and 5/43/0 receiving during the third preseason contest.

MIN RB Adrian Peterson missed time during the first week of August due to tightness in his left hamstring. Peterson said he hit the corner and made an abrupt stop, which backfired on him. 'I'm feeling good, and I'll be ready to roll Monday,' [8/9/10 -MW] The team expected Peterson to see some game time in the second preseason game August 22nd. Peterson led the team in receiving during the contest, with 3/25/0, and added 6/17/0 rushing to his total by the end of his appearance. He posted 11/37/1 rushing and 2/36/0 receiving in the third preseason game - Peterson looks fully recovered from his hamstring tweak.

NO RB/FB Heath Evans underwent season-ending surgery on his knee Thursday, October 29, 2009. It remains to be seen how he'll bounce back from the procedure. On June 14 reports out of New Orleans indicated that Evans is progressing in his rehabilitation from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Evans is no longer afraid of re-injuring his knee when making a cut, but other movements are worrying him. Evans said, "It's now just kind of getting back to the functional movements and getting back to the speed at which I've got to make them. I don't really doubt the knee anymore. It's proven to be strong over and over again. Now it's just kind of getting back into that rhythm where I can move and function inside any given play." Evans was still missing practices due to his knee problem as of August 18th. He didn't appear in the third preseason game.

NO RB Lynell Hamilton was carted off the practice field Wednesday, August 11th. As of 5 PM ET 8/11 the latest information is that the Saints have received MRI results confirming an ACL tear - Hamilton is likely headed to IR. His 2010 season is over. Hamilton was waived on August 14th and will go to IR for the Saints if he clears waivers.

NO RB P.J. Hill was waived on Monday due to a triceps injury suffered in the preseason game August 21st - if he clears waivers, he'll be headed to IR. His 2010 season is over.

NYG RB Ahmad Bradshaw reported on April 15, 2010 that he has started running on his surgically-repaired feet (broken bones in both feet) and ankle - the surgeries were done in early January, and his rehabilitation appears to be right on schedule (and perhaps a bit ahead of schedule). All four of the Giants' running backs are rehabbing injuries this offseason - we'll see if they can all get back to 100% (see below for details on Brown, Jacobs, and Ware). Bradshaw has reportedly seen the majority of reps with the first team offense as of August ninth, 2010 - he may have passed Brandon Jacobs on the depth chart as of early August. Bradshaw played in the first preseason game on August 16th and had 2/58/0 receiving during the contest. Bradshaw is rumored to be in position for seizing the starting job in New York as of August 23rd, but coach Coughlin hasn't stated anything for certain as of late August. Bradshaw is playing well, but Jacobs isn't out of the mix here. Bradshaw posted 7/22/0 rushing and 2/5/0 receiving in the third preseason game.

Ex-NYG-now-DEN RB Andre Brown reported on March 26 that he is not feeling any pain from the ruptured Achilles tendon he suffered last season (he was placed on IR September 1, 2009 due to the injury) and that he has been able to run at full speed. On June 15 it was reported that Brown has shown enough speed to beat the defense to the outside during practice(s) after missing last season with the ruptured Achilles' tendon. Brown played in the Giants' first preseason game (5/26/0 rushing to his credit). Brown led the team in rushing during the second preseason game on August 21st, with 13/61/1 to his credit. He appears to be ready for action in regular season. Brown had 3/8/0 rushing and 1/6/0 receiving in the third preseason game. He was claimed off waivers by the Broncos on Sunday September 5th - lending extra depth to an injury-ravaged RB corps.

NYG RB Brandon Jacobs underwent knee surgery on Friday, January 22 to correct a torn meniscus cartilage in his knee. On August eighth, head coach Tom Coughlin commented "He looks good to me.". Jacobs has his burst back while running and looks like a different player after undergoing offseason surgery, according to multiple reports out of training camp on 8/11/10. Jacobs had 4/2/1 rushing during the first preseason game on August 16th. Jacobs is dealing with a neck injury of unknown severity as of 8/23/10 - stay tuned to see how serious the injury is/how much it limits Jacobs during the following week. He didn't appear in the second preseason game's boxscore. Jacobs led the team in rushing during the third preseason game, with 6/41/0 at the end of the contest.

OAK RB Michael Bush suffered a fractured left thumb (he is left-handed, by the way) on Saturday, Aug. 28, and will see a hand specialist Sunday, Aug. 29. Head coach Tom Cable said Bush's status won't be known until he sees the specialist. Bush echoed his coach's comments, saying he did not know if or how long he would be out. Reports on September 1st indicated that Bush (thumb) needed screws inserted into his fractured left thumb. Bush called the injury a 'Bennett fracture' on his Twitter account, and he has not offered a time table for his return. Footballguy Dr. Jene Bramel estimates the possible time frame for his return to range from two-to-six weeks depending on various factors - the team has not addressed the issue officially as of 9/1/10.

OAK RB Darren McFadden left morning practice Saturday, Aug. 7, because of tightness in his legs, but is not injured according to team sources. He was held out for precautionary reasons. He is expected to miss the team's first preseason game as he continues to have soreness in his hamstrings. On August 12th, McFadden commented "I feel like I've been having a good camp. It happened. It's just something you have to deal with right now." He added that hamstrings can be tricky, so he is going to make sure he doesn't rush back before it is 100 percent recovered. McFadden did not practice Saturday, Aug. 14, but McFadden was working on the side and went through drills with a member of the training staff. There is speculation that McFadden may miss the second preseason game as he continues to try and heal his troublesome hamstring. On August 18th McFadden indicated he is day-to-day and didn't know if he would play in the second preseason game. As of August 23rd, his appearance in the third preseason game is up in the air - currently the team thinks he "could" play in the contest. McFadden returned to practice Tuesday, Aug. 24, for the first time in more than two weeks, and he ran with the first-string offense during workouts. "I felt good, I felt like I was able to do everything that I'm supposed to do," McFadden said. He is expected to appear in the third preseason game. He did play and posted 7/9/0 rushing and 2/16/0 receiving in his first game back on the field this year.

PHI RB Mike Bell suffered a tweaked hamstring on Tuesday, May 25 and may sit out of practices for a few days. Hopefully, this is a minor concern that doesn't become a nagging injury situation. Bell is fighting a calf injury during the first weeks of August - he took part in the team's practice Wednesday, Aug. 18, and was questionable for their preseason game Friday, Aug. 20. Bell didn't appear in the second preseason contest. Bell did play in the third preseason game on 8/27/10, with 8/17/0 rushing and 1/3/0 receiving.

PIT RB Jonathan Dwyer did not report to training camp in the best shape and was hampered by a hamstring during the early portion of camp, according to local reports. Head coach Mike Tomlin and running backs coach Kirby Wilson were not happy with Dwyer's performance during practice Friday, Aug. 6, and made him participate in certain drills several times because of his [poor] performance. It appears that Isaac Redman has passed Dwyer on the depth chart and he is currently deep in the coaches dog house (as of the second week in August). Dwyer is bothered by a shoulder injury as of August 23rd. He looks like a draft bust as of late August.

SEA RB Leon Washington was traded to Seattle during the 2010 NFL Draft after suffering a badly-broken leg during the 2009 season. On July 14, Carroll said on his Twitter feed that RB Leon Washington is "coming back strong" and should be practicing in camp. Washington practiced for the second consecutive day without restrictions Saturday, August seventh. He did not feel any pain. Washington said he feels like he is about 95 percent healthy, and while he said it feels good he wasn't ready to say he is back to normal yet. Washington debuted as a Seahawk during preseason week 2 (August 21st vs. Green Bay), and rushed for 4/19/1. He appears to be on track for a role in the backfield during regular season as of 8/24/10. The Seahawks are considering giving Washington the start in the all-important third preseason game as of August 25th, according to local reports. He appears to be nearly 100% recovered from his injuries entering regular season. Washington (leg) looked explosive while running with the first-string offense Wednesday, Aug. 25, according to local reports. Washington posted 6/16/0 rushing in the third preseason game vs. the tough Minnesota defense.

SF RB Anthony Dixon missed nearly a month in the offseason due to a hamstring strain. Dixon returned to action for the offseason-ending minicamp, and looked explosive getting through the hole. He did not catch any passes during 11-on-11 drills, though. The surprise retirement of Glen Coffee and the signing of Brian Westbrook has Dixon in the mix for the second RB slot on the team as of the second week in August.

STL RB Steven Jackson - The Rams announced on May 5, 2010, that Jackson had back surgery to repair the herniated disks in his back in early April of this year. Jackson was missing practices in early June, as expected. Jackson was nearly a full participant during the start of training camp, according to local reports. Jackson said his back felt good and he spent a lot of time working hard with the trainers during the summer. On August 12th, Jackson commented on his recovery, saying he feels great physically. Jackson said he spent a lot of time during the offseason making sure his back is secure by building up the core muscles. "I didn't want it to be a nagging injury, and I didn't want this to play mind games with me, and feel like I had to be more timid," Jackson said. "My back is fully healed." Jackson appeared briefly in the second preseason game (August 21st), with 4/20/0 rushing to his credit.

Ex-TB FB B.J. Askew went on the Non-Football Injury list on Tuesday, October 20, ending his 2009 season. Askew was involved in a car accident that injured his neck and back. He was working to rehabilitate those injuries as of April 2010. He was released by the team on April 26.

TB RB Clifton Smith participated in practice Wednesday, Aug. 25, and expects to play in the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 28, according to local reports. Smith has been sitting out a majority of training camp because of a knee injury.

Ex-TB RB Derrick Ward struggled with knee and thigh injuries during the closing weeks of 2009, but appears to be healthy entering 2010 minicamps and OTAs - head coach Raheem Morris said on Friday, April 9, "We've got to find ways to make Derrick a more productive player this year. We have to do a better job all around of getting him more opportunities." On June 9, Ward commented on his role in Tampa - "I'm here to compete. I'm here to help this team win, hopefully get to a Super Bowl, and I'm just here to be a leader. I'm one of the old guys now on offense so it's pretty funny looking back at it now. It's just a good opportunity for me to become a leader - a more vocal leader on the field and in the locker room and lead by example," Ward said. Ward was cut by the team on August 31st.

Ex-WAS RB Willie Parker was hampered by a shoulder injury to close the 2009 season in Pittsburgh, but has moved on Washington and is in the mix for the starting RB job there. There was evidently a lot of bad blood between Parker and coach Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh (to the point that Parker preferred sitting out the 2010 season to playing in Pittsburgh again this year), and the player is hoping for a new start in Washington. According to reports out of the early June minicamp (June 3), Parker is lacking the "burst" that marked his game during his productive seasons in Pittsburgh. He may be on the roster bubble unless he can regain his top speed. A report on Saturday, July 3 indicated that Parker hadn't regained top form during June OTAs, though he showed some improvement. As of August ninth Parker was reported to be fourth on the team's depth chart. Parker had one rush for -1 yard in the second preseason game on August 21st, adding 1/10/0 receiving to his total. He posted 8/16/0 rushing in the third preseason game, but was released by the team on September fourth.

WAS RB Clinton Portis was cleared by a concussion specialist to participate in offseason workouts on Thursday, March 11, 2010. Portis is in good shape and is motivated to show he can still produce for the team, according to reports out of Washington during mid-July. Portis is considered the team's #1 RB as of the second week in August. He posted 6/22/0 in the team's opening preseason game vs. Buffalo, and followed up with 2/14/0 rushing and 1/5/0 receiving in the second game on August 21st. Portis suffered a tweaked ankle in the third preseason game, but reports out of Washington on August 29th indicate that the injury is not serious. He should be fine for the regular season.

Wide Receivers

ARI WR Early Doucet was held out of practice Saturday, Aug. 7, as a precaution because of an abdominal strain. Doucet is working as the team's #2 WR during Larry Fitzgerald's absence from the field (which will last the rest of the preseason, reportedly).

ARI WR Larry Fitzgerald said on 8/14/10 that the MRI he underwent revealed a sprained knee [sprained MCL according to reports - MW]. Fitzgerald said he will be conservative with the knee for a few weeks. He is expected to sit out of the rest of the preseason contests. Fitzgerald (knee) was running the length of the field as well as cutting and catching passes while running routes prior to the team's preseason game Monday, Aug. 23, according to reports from the field level. Fitzgerald ran routes and worked on the sidelines prior to the August 28th football game, and is reportedly looking more fluid and comfortable than earlier in the month.

ATL WR Harry Douglas, who tore up his knee in training camp last year, is progressing and should be ready for training camp, according to head coach Mike Smith on Wednesday, March 24. As of May 8, he was still working on rehabbing his knee problem (during the first Falcon's mini-camp, he was doing rehabilitation workouts with Jeff Fish, the Falcons' Director of Performance). Douglas was not cleared for full practices as of May 8. He did not participate in OTAs on May 25, although a local report on May 26 indicated that Douglas is expected to be back in practices "at some point" during training camp. As of August 12th, the team has been slowly increasing his workload during training camp, but he is expected to be held out of the first preseason game for precautionary reasons. The team hopes to play Douglas in the second preseason game on August 19th, vs. New England. Douglas did play in the second preseason game, with 2/13/0 receiving to his credit.

ATL WR Brian Finneran (knee) did not need surgery to repair the knee injury he suffered during the 2009 season (he landed on IR in December). Head coach Mike Smith said on February 9 that Finneran is resting the injury so he will be ready for the team's minicamp. The team signed Finneran to a one-year contract on February 11. Finneran has a history of knee injuries, which is something to keep in mind when evaluating his 2010 prospects. Finneran saw a lot of reps in the first and second preseason games due to Michael Jenkins' injury.

ATL WR Michael Jenkins is out for four to six weeks with a shoulder injury he suffered on Friday night 8/6/10 during the teams intrasquad scrimmage at North Gwinnett High School. "You are always concerned anytime any of your players goes down with an injury," said Falcons head coach Mike Smith. "One thing I am certain of is that Michael will work very hard with our athletic performance staff and our training staff to get back out on the field as soon as possible." As of August 23rd, Jenkins' status for the first week of regular season is not determined, although a report indicated that he "could" be ready for week one.

ATL WR Kerry Meier is on IR due to a season-ending knee injury.

BAL WR Derrick Mason had to be helped off the practice field this morning (8/3/10) after suffering a leg injury when he was hit by safety Dawan Landry. Mason reportedly couldn't put any weight on his right leg, although Mason himself made light of the injury. "I just twisted it," Mason said on his way into the locker room. Mason said he suffered a bruised knee during practice Saturday, Aug 7, but it is not serious. Mascon played in the second preseason game on August 21st and caught two passes for four yards.

BAL WR Donte Stallworth suffered a broken foot on Saturday, August 28th and will be out for at least 8 weeks due to the injury.

Ex-BUF WR James Hardy started 2009 on the PUP list due to a January 2009 surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. He did practice and play with the team late in 2010, and the team indicated on March 23, 2010 that he'll have an opportunity to compete for a starting WR job this year. We'll see if his repaired knee will hold up to the rigors of a full training camp later this summer. As of May 25, Hardy was taking the majority of first-team snaps across from Lee Evans during Bills' practices. However, in late June Chan Gailey said that Hardy had been slowed down this spring but didn't say why. It appears that Hardy underwent sports hernia surgery after last season and couldn't work out for six weeks, a league source said. As of August 12th, Hardy was expected to miss between a week and 10 days of action due to an undisclosed injury. He was released by the team on September fourth.

CAR WR Steve Smith was placed on season-ending Injured Reserve Friday, January 1, due to a broken left forearm. Unfortunately, on June 20 Smith broke his left arm again during a flag football game. Surgery was performed to repair Smith's arm - he is expected to miss part or all of training camp, but the Panthers hope he'll be ready for week one of the regular season as of June 21. On Tuesday, June 22 ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Smith is likely to be out for 10 weeks, which would allow him to play in the season opener if the rehab/healing of the broken arm goes well. On July 6, reports surfaced that Panthers head coach John Fox - on a recent USO trip to Afghanistan - indicated that the team expects Smith to be ready for the season opener. "Most of (the soldiers) wanted to know about Steve Smith playing flag football," Fox said, "Most of them love Steve, and they know he'll be back for the opener, so they weren't too concerned." On July 29th, head coach John Fox said they are going to monitor WR Steve Smith's (arm) status on a week-by-week basis. He noted it will come down to a medical decision and they will take it as slowly as they need to. Smith came off of PUP on August 16th and has been catching a few passes in shorts - he has yet to put on the pads, though. Smith has not played in the first three preseason games and isn't likely to take the field until regular season.

CAR WR Charly Martin suffered a serious finger injury on Saturday, July 31st. He underwent surgery to repair the break and may be placed on IR if his recovery isn't swift. Martin has been playing special teams but has a huge cast/wrap on his hand and can't currently catch the football (August 26th).

CAR WR Wallace Wright suffered a shoulder injury of unknown severity on Saturday, August 27th. Wright landed on IR 8/31/10 - his season is over.

CHI WR Earl Bennett had knee surgery during the month of February and missed a portion of the team's offseason workouts due to his rehab of the surgery. Bennett appeared to be running without limitations Wednesday, June 2, according to local reports. However, Bennett missed the first preseason game on August 14th due to a hamstring injury. He has missed practice time since - Bennett most recently sat out of the Wednesday, August 25th practice due to his sore hamstring. As of August 19th, Hester, Johnny Knox and Devin Aromashodu are considered to be the Bears' starting wideout tandem in the Martz system. Bennett has reportedly fallen down the depth chart. He is not expected to play Saturday, Aug. 28, after missing more practice time the past week due to a hamstring injury.

CHI WR Devin Hester battled a variety of injuries during the 2009 season - shoulder, calf, and ankle injuries - and he commented on Friday, February 5 that the injuries slowed him down and affected his playing ability. On July 19 it was reported that Hester has worked with former NFL WR Isaac Bruce this offseason to try to learn offensive coordinator Mike Martz's scheme better. Bruce has been working with Hester on running better routes and other finer points of the position. Hester is penciled in as the lead WR for the Bears this year. Hester had 1/4/0 receiving in the first preseason game on August 14th. As of August 19th, Hester, Johnny Knox and Devin Aromashodu are considered to be the Bears' starting wideout tandem in the Martz system.

Ex-CIN WR Antonio Bryant sat out of mid-June practices due to some issues with the knee that bothered him during 2009. On July 24th, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the problem has continued throughout the preseason. On July 29th, Bryant commented that his knee isn't 100 percent and he is not isn't able to go at full speed, but he was able to take all of his reps during practice Thursday, July 29, and will be ready for Week 1 of the regular season. Bryant is expected to participate in just one of the practices each day during 2-a-days. Bryant didn't practice with the team on Friday, July 30th or on July 31st. He also missed Monday, August second practices. The Bengals want to see how Bryant performs in the final three preseason games before they decide which wide receivers they will release, according to reports out of Cincinnati on August fifth, 2010. The signing of Terrell Owens to the roster is making the WR roster crowded, and Bryants' continuing absence from the playing field is worrisome for his fantasy owners. As of August 13th Bryant indicated he was feeling "better", but wasn't sure when he might return to the playing field. Bryant's knee has never recovered properly, and although the team owes him $8 million, Bryant was released over the third weekend of preseason games. He is now an unrestricted free agent (but unlikely to find another team due to his ongoing knee issue).

DAL rookie WR Dez Bryant did not participate in the team's offseason workout Wednesday, June 9, because he was rehabbing a sore hamstring. His status for practice Thursday, June 10, and the team's upcoming minicamp was uncertain as of June 9. On June 14, a story was published that indicated the Cowboys are concerned about Bryant's level of conditioning - his sore hamstring may be due to Bryant not keeping himself in top condition during the offseason. Unfortunately Bryant suffered a right high ankle sprain near the end of the Friday, July 30th practice, and the team said he will be out 4-6 weeks. That means Bryant could miss the entire preseason. Head coach Wade Phillips said on 8/11/10 that he is not sure when WR Dez Bryant (ankle) will able to take off the walking boot he is wearing because of his high ankle sprain. Team owner Jerry Jones said on August 14th that Bryant (ankle) is doing well in the recovery from his ankle injury, and the team hopes Bryant will be able to play in the final two preseason games. However, as of August 23rd Bryant has not been cleared to resume practice. Head coach Wade Phillips said he does not expect Bryant to practice with the team at some point this week and added, "They (training staff) told me the first game." Bryant (ankle) ran routes at full speed and caught passes before the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 28. He made several sharp cuts off his right foot without problems and his ankle did not appear to have any problems. Bryant (ankle) will be cleared to return to practice this week [week starting August 30th]. He may be able to play in the team's preseason finale. Bryant said he will let the final call up to the team's medical staff, but said he is ready to return to action.

DEN WRs Brandon Stokley and Eric Decker are both working to overcome serious left foot injuries this offseason - Decker was diagnosed with a Lisfranc injury, a tear of the ligament that holds his first two toes in place, back in October of 2009 during his senior season at Minnesota. It remains to be seen if either player will stick with the Broncos this year. Decker was running and catching passes on the side during practice Monday, June 7. Decker is reportedly on track to be ready for training camp and as of July 7 he was training with other receivers at Larry Fitzgerald's camp at the University of Minnesota's campus, running routes, catching passes and doing drills. Decker commented on July 10: "I'm a little nervous and I'm anxious because I'm back to football, I'm back playing, I'm done in the training room and that's exciting to me," Decker said. "It's still a day-to-day thing and the training staff is helping me to move along and progress at a very good rate. I feel comfortable every day so that's the best I can say." Decker has been in and out of practices during the first two weeks of August due to an ankle injury, but returned to the field on Wednesday, August 18th. Decker made his NFL debut Saturday, Aug. 21, and finished the game with five receptions for 66 yards. He added 1/3/1 receiving during the third preseason game.

DEN WR Brandon Stokley is now on IR due to ongoing problems from his foot injury (the team hasn't officially disclosed why they placed him on IR, but the struggle with the foot injury was disclosed earlier during the off-season).

DEN WR Demaryius Thomas was taken for x-rays on an unspecified injury on 5/24. He was already nursing a broken foot that was surgically repaired during the offseason - it isn't clear if the May x-ray was related to the foot injury or was due to another problem. On Saturday August seventh Thomas reportedly re-injured the surgically repaired foot, though this new injury was considered minor at that time. Head coach Josh McDaniels said on August 10th that X-rays done on WR Demaryius Thomas' (foot) injured foot were negative - but he did not participate in practice Tuesday, Aug. 10th. Thomas worked on the sidelines with trainers on Tuesday, August 17th. As of August 25th, local reports indicated that Thomas has suffered another setback with his injured foot - there is speculation that the problem could come from scar tissue (not a huge problem) or that it could be another fracture (a much more serious problem) - so far, the severity of the re-injury isn't clear. Whatever the source of the problem, Thomas is not 100% heading into the third week of the preseason, and he's had very little in the way of repetitions with his new team due to the ongoing foot woes. Local reports on August 30th indicated that Thomas (foot) does not appear close to returning. Thomas was running and cutting very gingerly before the team’s preseason game Sunday, Aug. 29.

GB WR Donald Driver had arthroscopic surgery on both knees in January, according to reports on June 12. He feels great and wishes he had underwent the procedure years ago. Last season, he played with limited range, pain and flexibility. Driver, 35, has not been practicing during OTAs, but has been cleared to do so by the team trainers. "I wanted to extend my career another five years," Driver said. "I played like this for two, three years, with pain. I can jump now. I can squat." Driver missed several practices during the second week of August but returned for the evening workout on August 12th - he snagged 3/19/0 in the first preseason game vs. Cleveland. Driver did not play Saturday, Aug. 21, due to a sore calf.

GB WR Greg Jennings (back) sat out the team's preseason game Thursday, Aug. 26, as a precautionary measure because of back spasms.

GB WR James Jones ended the 2009 season with two torn ligaments in his right ring finger. Jones played through the injury, claiming that it didn't affect his catching ability. He's working on rehabilitating the injury as of 2010. Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said he was impressed with how WR James Jones performed during workouts this offseason, according to a July 6 report. "If you go through the films, James Jones, just from a production standpoint, probably stands out as one of the top performers through the OTAs. He's gotten a lot of opportunities, particularly in the slot with [WR Donald Driver's] absence, and I think he's done a very good job of that," McCarthy said. As of August 15th Jones has a slight lead for the #3 WR job according to coach McCarthy.

HOU WR Andre Davis was placed on IR just prior to the start of regular season due to a hip injury.

HOU WR Trindon Holliday was placed on IR prior to the start of regular season due to a thumb injury.

IND WR Anthony Gonzalez should be ready for the start of training camp, according to Colts owner Jim Irsay, on Thursday, March 25. Gonzalez missed the 2009 season due to an ongoing knee injury issue - he tried to practice for a regular season game in Week 16, but ended up going on IR Thursday, December 24. Gonzalez was reportedly involved in offseason workouts/practice on Thursday, May 20. However, on June 9 reports out of Indianapolis indicated that Gonzalez suffered a "setback" on the first Tuesday in June, which caused him to miss the team's early-June, mandatory minicamp. On June 11, head coach Jim Caldwell asserted "I can tell you this: He'll be fine." It has been reported Gonzalez missed practice with a hamstring injury, and not a "setback" with the knee. Gonzalez (knee, hamstring) was expected to be ready to participate at the start of training camp as of June 18. However, as of July 29th Gonzalez is a question mark entering training camp, reports Mike Chappell, of The Indianapolis Star. Gonzalez has worked on returning punts during training camp and is participating in workouts as of the second week of August. Gonzalez had two catches for eight yards in the second preseason game on August 19th.

JAX WR Mike Sims-Walker suffered a shoulder injury Friday, Aug. 13, and had his arm in a sling during the second half of the team's preseason game, reports Tania Ganguli. Head coach Jack Del Rio said the team does not believe the injury is serious. Walker will be evaluated further as the week goes along. He was out of the sling on Sunday, August 15th but we still haven't heard a time-frame for Sims-Walker to return to the field. Sims-Walker was out of the sling for the second preseason game and posted 3/64/0 - he seems to be back healthy as of August 23rd.

KC WR Jerheme Urban was placed on IR just prior to regular season (undisclosed injury) - he's done for 2010.

MIA WR Brian Hartline left the team's preseason game Friday, Aug. 27, with a hip injury of undetermined severity - he will be evaluated further later in the week. As of September fourth Hartline is the team's #2 WR.

MIA WR Brandon Marshall will be sidelined until at least the start of Miami Dolphins training camp while he recovers from an undisclosed surgery. Marshall has been rehabbing, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said on Wednesday May 19. Sparano would not disclose the nature of the surgery, saying only that it was something the team did not expect when it acquired the wide receiver from the Denver Broncos. As of June 22, Marshall said that he was finishing up the final week of his eight-week rehab program to recover from a hip procedure. On June 29, Marshall said he expects to be at full speed when training camp starts. He said his surgically repaired hip is feeling great. On July 29th, it was reported in Miami that appearances are that Marshall will be cleared medically to participate in training camp. However, Marshall has struggled with dropped passes during training camp and has let his emotions get the better of him, according to local reports. Toward the end of practice Monday, Aug. 16, after Marshall dropped a short pass in the end zone, he picked up the ball and punted it over the fence. He then spent the rest of the practice standing by himself on the sideline. It was not clear whether he was ordered to the sideline or was merely brooding. Marshall led the team in receiving during the third preseason game with 3/51/0.

MIN WR Percy Harvin reported on Sunday, April 11 that he is still struggling with migraine headaches from time to time. "It's off and on," he noted. "Still working them out. Hopefully we'll keep working at it... it's just something that hopefully I can contain." Harvin was the rookie of the year during 2009 despite his migraine headaches. Harvin is once again dealing with migraines, according to head coach Brad Childress on August 10th. Harvin participated in morning practice Monday, Aug. 16. Harvin (migraine) vomited and collapsed after suffering a migraine headache Thursday, Aug. 19. He was transported to the hospital and was resting comfortably according to multiple reports. 'He had an episode,' said head coach Brad Childress, referring to Harvin suffering a migraine. 'Earlier, he had looked up in the sky fielding a punt and went back off the field to deal with it. And then he came back out to work with the offense, and quickly collapsed.'. He did not travel to San Francisco for the second preseason game, and his status for the start of regular season appears to be in doubt as of August 23rd. Harvin was not on the field when Minnesota opened practice Thursday, Aug. 26. Harvin didn't participate much in practice Wednesday, Aug. 25, though it was his first time in pads since collapsing last week. Coach Childress stated on Thursday that Harvin wouldn't participate until he had finished a round of medical testing related to the migraines. Harvin (migraines) said on Saturday August 28th that he underwent another test to help determine the cause of his migraines. He said the doctors found some things they believe may be the cause of the problem. 'We're feeling really confident. I know we said that a couple times, but I think this time we found what the main cause was. I'm not saying I'll never get a headache again, but hopefully we can slow it down a little bit,' Harvin said.

Subscribers to Footballguys may read an excellent article by our own Dr. Jene Bramel exploring Harvin's condition HERE. I highly recommend you DO read this if you are considering drafting Harvin - MW 8/24/10.

MIN WR Sidney Rice is recovering from a lingering hip injury, according to his agent Drew Rosenhaus on July 8. Rice does not require surgery and will be ready for the start of the season, according to Rosenhaus.Rice downplayed his hip injury on July 10, saying "Everything is alright. I'll be ready to go at camp." However, on July 29th Rice was singing a different song, saying he still has not recovered from a hip injury and will need to have team trainers check him out again. On July 30th, it was revealed that Rice will begin training camp on the physically unable to perform list (PUP list), due to the lingering hip injury [speculation is that Rice has a torn labrum in his hip - MW]. Rice has reportedly consulted three different specialists about the hip problem. On Wednesday, August fourth, Vikings head coach Brad Childress said WR Sidney Rice is a ways away from coming off the Physically Unable to Perform list. Rice commented on Monday, August 16th that he'd had "...A couple of setbacks but overall it's getting better. I think it's a lot better since the beginning of camp." Rice said on August 21st that he still has 'a little bit of pain' in his hip. As previously reported, his status for Week 1 is uncertain due to a hip injury that has kept him out all of training camp. 'I'm pushing, working hard every day,' Rice said. 'As long as my conditioning is good and feel comfortable, I'm sure I will be fine.' However, Rice is not fine - he had surgery performed on his hip. Rice confirmed in a text message Tuesday August 24th in the A.M. that he had undergone hip surgery at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colo. on Monday, August 23rd. He is expected to miss 1/2 the 2010 season (estimated). Coach Brad Childress commented on August 24th that Rice wouldn't begin practicing for at least eight weeks, and that the team was currently undecided if Rice would go on the PUP list (making him ineligible for the first six weeks of the season, but available thereafter) or IR (ending Rice's season). Rice was placed on the PUP list August 31st - he will definitely be out at least the first six weeks of the regular season, and IR thereafter is still a possibility.

NE WR Torry Holt went to IR on Sunday, August 15th due to a season-ending knee injury that will require surgery.

NE WR Brandon Tate underwent minor knee surgery after he was placed on injured reserve before the Week 10 (mid-November) loss to the Colts. He is expected to fully participate in the offseason conditioning program with the team. A report from Boston on May 27 indicated that Tate is now the healthiest he's ever been since landing in the NFL. A report on June 16 indicated that Tate is playing a lot with Tom Brady's group, and Brady seemed pretty happy with the kid's performance at points of practice. During two-minute work, with the offense deep into the red zone, Brady threw to Tate, running a comeback by the pylon, into a tight window. Tate caught it for the touchdown with seven seconds showing. Reports out of Boston on July 5 indicated the Patriots want Brandon Tate to win the #3 wide receiver role this year,and with the season-ending injury to Torry Holt (Holt to IR 8/15) he's got an excellent shot at the job. Tate had two catches for 25 yards vs. Atlanta on August 19th, and 2/17/0 vs. St. Louis on 8/26/10.

NE WR Wes Welker (recovering from an ACL tear and MCL damage in his knee) - Welker was placed on the ACTIVE Physically Unable To Perform (PUP) list as of July 27th. Welker worked out with team trainers on the side Thursday, July 29. He went through sprints and worked with a resistance rope. Reportedly, Welker showed quick, fluid movements while going through the agility drills Thursday, July 29. Welker was taken off the active/physically unable to perform list 8/1/10. Welker took part in contact drills during morning practice Thursday, Aug. 5, and was able to get up without any trouble when he was knocked down twice according to local reports. Welker sat out of the first preseason game but traveled to Atlanta on August 17th so he may appear in the second: he said Tuesday "It's still kind of the same, we're making strides. At the same time, there are good days and bad days. We're just trying to work through them." Welker caught 2/20/0 and was the first receiver that Tom Brady threw the football to at the start of the game vs. Atlanta. He followed up with two targets for 2/41/0 receiving in the second preseason game. Welker appears to be set to play football as of the first week of September.

NO WR Marques Colston is expected to come off the PUP list on August third, according to head coach Sean Payton. He was on PUP as Colston was recovering from a surgical procedure on his knee (the same knee that had microfracture surgery previously). Colston played in the first preseason game 8/12/10 briefly (1/8/0 receiving), and added 4/49/0 receiving during the second preseason contest on August 21st. He added 4/55/0 in the third preseason game - the Saints' passing attack looks to be in mid-season form as of the 1st of September.

NO WR Robert Meachem will miss the rest of the team's offseason workouts after undergoing surgery to repair torn cartilage on the second toe of his left foot. Head coach Sean Payton said Meachem initially sustained the injury late last season. Meachem continued to experience pain during the early weeks of the team's offseason program, which led to the decision to operate. Payton said the goal is to get him back in time for the start of training camp (July 29), the first week or so. However, as of July 29th Meachem (toe) has been placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list. General manager Mickey Loomis believes it will take a little time before Meachem passes a physical. Meachem (toe) said on August 16th that he is scheduled to meet with doctors Wednesday, Aug. 18, to have his toe examined and is currently on a practice-to-practice basis. Meachem played in the team's preseason game Friday, Aug. 27, and finished with two receptions for 28 yards with a touchdown. He looked very solid and didn't appear to have any problems with his sore toe.

NYG Ramses Barden is expected to be fine for regular season according to Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, who said on August 25th that Barden could return to the field in about a week even though he has a stress fracture in the transverse process of his lower back. Barden reportedly expects to be ready for the start of the season and is not worried about the back injury lingering during the season.

NYG WR Domenik Hixon injured his left knee during afternoon practice Tuesday, June 15. Head coach Tom Coughlin said the team does not know how bad the injury is at this time. On June 16, the team revealed that Hixon is out for the season due to a torn ACL in his left knee.

NYG Mario Manningham has fought through a sore groin during the first week of preseason football games - he did appear in the Giants' Monday Night Football game vs. the Jets on Monday, August 16th.

NYG WR Sinorice Moss is on Injured Reserve, the team announced Tuesday, Aug. 31. Moss underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia.

NYG WR Hakeem Nicks had a "clean-up" surgical procedure on his right wrist in January, 2010. He is expected to be fully recovered by training camp. He is also recovering from a broken toe that he played through during 2009. Nicks said Friday, June 11 that his toe is not 100 percent but it's "all healed up." Nicks was able to take part in some team drills Thursday, June 10. Unfortunately, Nicks (knee) suffered a hyperextended knee during practice Tuesday, Aug. third, and underwent an MRI later that evening. Reports on Wednesday, August fourth indicated that the MRI and examination on his injured knee showed nothing out of the ordinary. Nicks could return to practice as soon as Thursday, Aug. fifth. Nicks (knee) was cleared to participate in evening practice Thursday, Aug. 5. However, Nicks did not practice during the morning session Monday, Aug. 9 due to ongoing issues with the knee and also an injured toe. Nicks did appear in the MNF game vs. the Jets on August 16th (1/13/0). Nicks was ejected from the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 21, after getting into a fistfight with Pittsburgh Steelers CB Ike Taylor. Nicks had 4/26/0 receiving in the third preseason game.

NYG WR Steve E. Smith said on August eighth that he has a slight strain in his groin - he may miss some practice time as a result of the injury. Smith did not practice during the morning session Monday, Aug. 9. Smith missed the first preseason game but is practicing again as of August 18th. Smith led the team in receiving during the second preseason game with 2/53/0, with a 45-yard reception to his credit during the contest. He grabbed 4/48/0 in the third preseason game.

OAK WR Darrius Heyward-Bey said on Monday, March 15 that his formerly-injured foot is healthy. Heyward-Bey missed the last month of his rookie season with foot problems, and was generally a disappointment in his rookie season (nine catches for 124 yards and one TD during 2009). Early June reports out of Oakland OTAs indicate that Heyward-Bey is flashing phenomenal ability so far during 2010 - he appears to be over the foot issue as of this writing. On June 24 it was reported that Heyward-Bey has worked hard this offseason and added 10 pounds of muscle. As of August 16th Heyward-Bey has been missing practices with a large wrap on one of his legs. A hamstring injury is suspected, though head coach Tom Cable denies this and blames Heyward-Bey's absence from practice on "fatigue" - one thing is certain - Heyward-Bey is not 100% healthy. Heyward-Bey (fatigue) returned for the team's practice Tuesday, Aug. 24, and reportedly looked recovered from whatever had been bothering him. Heyward-Bey hauled in 3/46/0 during the third preseason game on August 28th.

OAK WR Chaz Schilens took part in most of the individual drills and some of the team drills during practice Wednesday, June 9 - he's been rehabbing a foot injury/surgery during the offseason. Chaz Schilens' recovery from offseason foot surgery is ahead of schedule, according to reports in the Oakland media on July 21, 2010. However, on July 31st it was reported that Schilens had X-rays done on his sore left foot and missed both of the team's practices Friday, July 30. Head coach Tom Cable said Schilens does not have any damage in his foot, but they will have to limit him to one work out per day. Schilens practiced on August 15th and made a few catches during the session. Unfortunately, Schilens (knee, foot) is meeting with a knee specialist as of August 23rd, and may need to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his knee. Head coach Tom Cable said the injury is likely a result of Schilens overcompensating for his foot injury. "I'm very concerned. It's been a tough road for him. We get him through the foot thing now and something else has kind of reared up on us," Cable said on Monday, August 24th. "We'll take care of it and get him back as soon as we can." Schilens (knee) should miss a couple of weeks after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery, according to reports on August 26th. Head coach Tom Cable said he does not know if Schilens will be available for Week 1. Initial estimates from Cable were that Schilens would miss 3-6 weeks, but he suddenly quit discussing injuries on September first and refused to elaborate on any of the Raiders' current injury issues.

PHI WR DeSean Jackson was carted off the practice field after a non-contact back injury on July 31st. The severity of the injury is currently unknown. Reports later in the day on Saturday indicated that the team is not worried about this injury - it appears that Jackson has avoided significant harm. Jackson suffered a back strain Saturday, July 31, and was not at practice Sunday, Aug. 1. He is listed as day-to-day on the team injury report. The team is being cautious with him, and the injury is believed to be concentrated at his lower back. He suffered the injury while twisting to make a catch, and it was not the result of contact. According to local reports on August fifth, Jackson is close to returning to training camp practices. He returned to all drills on Friday August sixth and had 2/47/0 receiving in the preseason opener August 13th. However, Jackson (possible hamstring strain) sat out the final series of practice Tuesday, Aug. 24, and chatted with trainers after he grabbed the back of his right leg. Jackson was evaluated further Wednesday, Aug. 25. WR Hank Baskett stepped in with the first team in place of Jackson for the final 10 minutes of practice. Jackson suffered a neck strain during the third preseason game and was pulled out of action for precautionary reasons, according to reports. Jackson missed Tuesday, August 31st's practice due to his sore neck/back.

PHI WR Jeremy Maclin (knee) suffered a hyperextended left knee during afternoon practice Tuesday, Aug. third, which after examination and an MRI proved to be a bruised bone. There is no ligament damage or damage to the meniscus cartilage, reportedly. Maclin (knee) practiced in pads Sunday, Aug. 8. Maclin is recovering from a bruised bone in one of his knees, so a quick return to the field is a very encouraging sign that the injury was relatively minor. Maclin caught 2/32/0 in the preseason opener on August 13th. Maclin dinged up a shoulder in the second preseason game, but x-rays were negative for serious damage and he is expected to be fine as of August 22nd. Maclin grabbed 3/39/0 in the third preseason game.

PIT WR Limas Sweed (Achilles) left practice Sunday, May 2, with a major Achilles tendon injury, according to coach Mike Tomlin on SIRIUS NFL radio. On Monday, May 3, Sweed underwent surgery to repair the injury (unspecified, but a serious Achilles tendon injury). Sweed was placed on IR on Tuesday, May 11. His 2010 season is over.

STL WR Keenan Burton suffered a knee injury on Sunday, November 15, 2009, that required surgical repair. He is in the process of rehabilitating his injury as of April 2010. Burton was able to take part in team drills during the team's offseason workout Monday, May 24 - he is apparently on schedule to begin training camp. Burton has participated in practices and caught 3/22/0 in the team's first preseason game. He failed to reel in any of the three passes that came his way in the second preseason game, but he was active and on the field during the contest, at least. As of September seventh Burton is considered the team's #3 WR.

STL WR Brandon Gibson did not participate in practice Wednesday, June 2, because of a tweaked hamstring. He'll be treated and evaluated further before returning to action - the team doesn't want to risk aggravating the injury this early during the preseason. Gibson (hamstring) did not participate in practice Thursday, June 17, because he aggravated a hamstring he suffered earlier in the offseason - this injury may be turning into a nagging issue for Gibson. Gibson has been practicing through the hamstring injury during training camp according to reports on August sixth. However, he was scratched from the lineup for the second preseason game due to the hamstring injury.

STL WR Laurent Robinson is trying to return from the high ankle sprain and a fractured fibula that cut short his 2009 season (suffered in Week 3 of the 2009 campaign). However, reports on Saturday, April 3 indicated that while Robinson has been jogging and catching passes during offseason workouts, he is still not able to run at full speed or make cuts. On May 27, Robinson said he is fully healthy from the ankle and leg injury he suffered last season - he's been participating in OTAs throughout the spring. Robinson caught 2/27/0 in the teams' first preseason game on August 14th. He had just one target and zero receptions in the second preseason game. As of September seventh Robinson is considered the #1 WR for the team.

SD WR Buster Davis and safety Eric Weddle collided midair and Davis' head hit the ground toward the end of yesterday's (May 27) first practice. Davis did not work in the afternoon. Turner said he could return before the end of minicamp. On May 28, the team reported that Davis had suffered a concussion and that he wouldn't return to practices until June 8, at the earliest. Davis did not practice Thursday, Aug 5, during team drills. He took the day off as a precaution so he doesn't end up missing extended time due to a hamstring injury. Davis has battled a sore hip earlier in preseason - he returned to practice on August 18th. He had two targets for zero receptions in the second preseason game. Davis posted 3/41/0 receiving vs. New Orleans in the third preseason game.

SD WR Legedu Naanee struggled with a foot injury during the closing weeks of the 2009 season - he was inactive for the season finale as a result of the injury. As of May 23, he is still involved in rehabbing from foot surgery that repaired the problem earlier during the offseason. Naanee is expected to begin the regular season as a starter according to reports out of San Diego on July 8. Naanee returned to the practice field on July 27th and looked impressive according to local reports. Naanee caught 1/28/1 during the first preseason game on August 14th, and followed up with 2/12/0 during the second on August 21st. He's penciled in as one of the starters. Naanee caught 2/21/0 in the third preseason game.

SEA WR Deion Branch, who is recovering from a knee injury suffered during 2009, took part in agility drills with team trainers and ran routes after practice Tuesday, June 15. He should be ready for the start of training camp. Head coach Pete Carroll re-iterated that Branch is expected to be ready for the start of training camp as of June 21. However, Branch took part in some receiver drills during practice Tuesday, June 22, but did not participate in team drills - he is still not back to "game shape" as of late June. Branch was praised by coach Carroll on August 13th, and had 2/14/0 receiving vs. Tennessee in the first preseason game, followed up by 1/11/0 receiving in the second preseason contest. Branch had one catch for 42 yards in the third preseason game. He is listed as a starting WR as of September seventh.

Ex-SEA-now-BAL WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh is rehabilitating from a hernia surgery performed during the offseason, but he is expected to be ready for the start of training camp according to head coach Pete Carroll as of June 21. Houshmandzadeh had a helmet with him on the field and worked through individual drills for the first time on June 24, after receiving sports hernia surgery in April. Houshmandzadeh was given the evening practice off Saturday, July 31st. He will be given periodic practices off during training camp, but is participating. OC Jeremy Bates said WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh has been very impressive in practice the first week of August. Bates said Houshmandzadeh is getting his feet underneath him after missing time during OTAs. Houshmandzadeh caught 2/12/0 in the first preseason game vs. Tennessee. Houshmandzadeh added 4/60/0 receiving the team effort on August 21st, and led the team in receiving that day. Houshmandzadeh had 2/23/0 receiving in the third preseason game. Housmandzadeh was cut by Seattle and starts regular season as a Baltimore Raven.

SF WR Michael Crabtree has a strained neck and did not practice Thursday, Aug. 12. He was held out of the Sunday, August 15th preseason game due to his neck injury. Crabtree was also held out of the second preseason game on Sunday, August 22nd for precautionary reasons. On September first, Crabtree and Vernon Davis got into an altercation during practice, reportedly due to Crabtree's lack of enthusiasm for training camp and preseason.

SF WR Brandon Jones suffered a pulled hamstring during practice Saturday, Aug. 7 - the severity of the injury isn't known at this time. Jones was released by the team on August 18th.

STL WR Donnie Avery (knee) suffered what is believed to be a significant knee injury, according to head coach Steve Spagnuolo. Spagnuolo said the team will have a better idea of Avery's status after tests are done Sunday, Aug. 29. 'Hopefully, it's not as bad as we think,' Spagnuolo said. However, the injury will require reconstructive surgery - Avery is out for the season.

TB WR Sammie Stroughter was placed on Injured Reserve on Monday, December 21, ending his 2009 season. Stroughter suffered a broken foot during Week 15. On Monday, March 22, 2010 Stroughter spoke about his ambitions for the coming season: "That's my focus, to be there as much as possible to help the team on first and second down, when I can play outside," Stroughter said. "Then I can move to the slot on third down ... I'm going into the voluntary workouts like I'm the man - period, point blank. Whatever role I have, I'm going to be the best, being the team's No. 1." Stroughter (ankle) turned his ankle during practice August 12th and was trying to jog it off, according to local reports. Stroughter had one catch for five yards in the third preseason game.

TEN WR Kenny Britt (hip) participated in practice Saturday, Aug. 7, after missing practice Friday, Aug. 6, because of a hip flexor injury. He caught one ball for six yards vs. Seattle on August 14th. He added 1/8/0 to the team effort on August 23rd vs. Arizona. Britt grabbed 4/33/0 vs. Carolina on 8/28/10 - he had the most receptions of any Titan that day.

WAS WR Mike Furrey suffered a concussion on August fifth, 2010, and was sitting out of practice as a result. Furrey was placed on Injured Reserve on August 19th, ending his 2010 season.

WAS WR Malcolm Kelly suffered a hamstring injury while participating in QB Donovan McNabb's "Hell Week" last week, reports The Washington Post's Jason Reid, citing people familiar with the situation. Kelly might sit out the team's practice Thursday, July 29. Kelly experienced tightness in his hamstring during one of the workouts. The injury is not considered serious, but the team would prefer Kelly rest and receive treatment than try to participate in the early stages of camp. The hamstring problem continues to dog Kelly, who was held out of the Monday, August ninth practice due to this ongoing injury. Kelly said on 8/16/10 that he is frustrated that the injury to his hamstring is costing him practice time and that he is not sure when he will return to practice. "I don't know if words can really explain how frustrating it is," Kelly said. "Especially when you come in with high expectations of yourself and they got high expectations, it's just ... it's frustrating." Kelly missed the second preseason game. Kelly is going on IR as of 8/31/10 - the team has to cut down to their regular season roster, then they will place him on IR.

WAS WR Devin Thomas was hampered by an ankle injury to end the 2009 season, but appears to be recovered entering the 2010 OTAs and minicamps. However, he suffered a hamstring injury in the team's first minicamp (weekend of May 8-9) - and did not participate in team drills. On July 18 it was reported that Thomas was slaterning on July 29. Thomas led the team in receiving during the first preseason game with 3/64/1 to his credit vs. Buffalo. He managed 1/14/0 receiving during the second contest vs. Baltimore on August 21st. Thomas did not play in the third preseason game, though - there are rumors he may be on the bubble in Washington as of 9/1/10. As of the start of regular season, Thomas is the #4 WR in Washington.

WAS WR Santana Moss underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee sometime in the weeks before the Redskin's first minicamp (May 8 and 9) - he did not participate in the OTA due to rehabbing the knee. On July 18 it was reported that Moss was slated to participate in strenuous workouts with Donovan McNabb during the run-up to training camp opening on July 29. Moss is playing at the flanker position as of training camp. Moss grabbed 0 catches on one target during the first preseason game vs. Buffalo, but had 4/79/0 in the second preseason contest August 21st. Moss led the team with 2/42/0 receiving on August 27th against the Darrelle-Revis-less Jets. He is the #1 WR entering regular season.

Tight Ends

ATL TE Colin Peek, an undrafted rookie free agent from Alabama, left the field during the afternoon practice on July 31st with an apparent right knee injury. He walked off the field with a trainer, but his right knee was heavily wrapped. He has been released by the team as of August 19th.

BAL TE Todd Heap struggled with a bad back for most of the Ravens' January playoff run. He did play in the games, but has had an increasing number of nagging injuries over the past few years. He was reportedly limited in the Ravens' OTAs on Tuesday, May 25 due to undisclosed reasons. He'll compete with rookies Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta for playing time this year - stay tuned to see if Heap can stay on the field to compete. QB Joe Flacco said on July 17 that he has worked out with WR Anquan Boldin and TE Todd Heap during the offseason, so Heap has been working out recently. Local reports on August 17th indicated Heap has had a strong training camp, highlighted by several nice catches on Tuesday the 17th. Heap snagged 2/9/0 vs. Washington on August 21st. Heap is the starting TE entering regular season.

BUF TE Derek Schouman landed on IR September 22, 2009 due to a knee injury suffered during week two of the regular season. He was tendered an offer and signed it on April 8, 2010, so presumably his knee is healing properly - Schouman is likely to be the backup to Shawn Nelson entering 2010's training camp. Schouman is confident he can return to the field at full strength this year, according to a July 4 report. He feels like he is playing catch up a bit because he missed a lot of on-field work, but said he has had his nose in the playbook. "It's just getting the actual reps, being in the huddle and getting used to everything and that'll come with time," he noted. Schouman is still struggling to get on the field as of August 12th, 2010. He sat out of the Sunday, August 22nd practice due to his sore knee.

CHI TE Brandon Manumaleuna is recovering from knee surgery, and there is no timetable set for his return as of May 21, 2010. As of June 16, Manumaleuna stated that he hopes to be able to return to practice by the time training camp starts. Manumaleuna is the only player for Chicago to miss all the offseason workouts. "If there's a downer, it's that," coach Lovie Smith said on June 24. "But next time we get together as a football team for training camp, we should have all of our players ready to go." Manumaleuna (knee) missed the team's practice Friday, Aug. 6, because he was having some trouble with his knee. Manumaleuna missed the team's practice Thursday, Aug. 12 for a third consecutive day due to ongoing problems with the knee. He was expected to appear in the second preseason game, but didn't make any catches during the contest.

DAL TE Martellus Bennett suffered a concussion in mid-December of 2009 and was inactive in Week 15 as a result. Concussions/treating concussions properly are a point of emphasis for the NFL these days, and unfortunately a player is more prone to suffer future concussions once they've been concussed in the past. As of August 12th, Bennett is being closely monitored by the team due to an ankle injury that has limited him during training camp. Bennett returned to the field for the afternoon practice session on Sunday, Aug. 15th. He led the team in receiving vs. San Diego on August 21st, with 4/40/1 receiving.

DAL TE John Phillips has been lost for the season due to a torn ACL.

DET TE Brandon Pettigrew is rehabbing from knee surgery he underwent near the end of the 2009 season (December 22 surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee). The time frame for rehabbing a torn ACL fully is usually around one year (some players manage it in eight months, though). As of May 27, Pettigrew was taking part in individual drills at the Lions' minicamp. but not participating in team practices. Reports out of Detroit on June 8 indicated that Pettigrew will likely start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list so the Lions can monitor his rehab before letting him practice fully. On July 2, it was reported that Detroit Lions TE Brandon Pettigrew likely will be medically cleared to fully participate in workouts later this month. Pettigrew (knee) took part in all of the team's drills during the morning practice Wednesday, Aug. 4, and looks like he'll fully participate in training camp. Pettigrew missed the morning practice on August 17th but returned for the afternoon session - his appearance in the second preseason game is up in the air at mid-week. Pettigrew had one target for zero catches in the second preseason game on August 21st, and added one target for 1/16/0 receiving during the third preseason game vs. Cleveland on 8/28/10.

DET TE Jake Nordin was placed on IR just prior to regular season due to a shoulder injury.

HOU TE Owen Daniels, during an interview on Sirius NFL Radio on April 13, said he is coming along very well in his rehab from a torn ACL. As of August eighth, the Texans expected to get a clearer picture of Daniel's status within the next two weeks - he is still not participating in full contact. I'm starting to feel like I'm back to normal again,' Daniels said on August 20th. Daniels, who is on the active Physically Unable to Perform list, will undergo an MRI in Houston Tuesday, August 24th, and visit with Dr. James Andrew in Birmingham, Ala., Wednesday, August 25th. Dr. Andrews cleared Daniels to fully resume his football career on the 25th - Daniels is now ready to begin practicing/prepping for the NFL regular season. He is expected to resume practices starting the week before the Labor Day holiday weekend.Owens was on schedule for the start of training camp earlier this year, but doctors found a stress fracture in his kneecap, which could have been career threatening. He spent two months with the leg immobilized after declining to have a screw put into it, which likely would have cost him his 2010 season. Daniels still needs to get into playing shape and hopes to lobby for playing time in the team's final preseason game as of August 26th. Daniels passed his physical on August 30th and has been taken off the Physically Unable to Perform list. Daniels will now be able to participate in practice.

HOU TE Anthony Hill had offseason surgery to correct a torn ACL in his knee in mid-December of 2009. "He's got a long road ahead of him," head coach Gary Kubiak said shortly after the surgery. Hill is expected to be back in the mix at some point in the future. On May 26, Kubiak said "He's way ahead of schedule, he's doing very well, but it's been thought of all the time that if we get to camp that he would do some possible work in seven-on-seven, non-contact type of stuff but (we would) not throw him right back into full banging, so to speak," Kubiak said. "So there's going to be some maneuvering to do, and Anthony realistically probably won't be ready until the beginning of the season." Hill was placed on the PUP list just prior to the start of regular season and will miss at least the first six weeks of action.

IND TE Dallas Clark was unable to finish practice Friday, Aug. 13, after injuring his left leg while running a pass route. There was no immediate comment on the severity of the injury, although the team doesn't seem very concerned about the situation. Head coach Jim Caldwell said Clark will not play in the team's preseason game but should return to practice soon. On August 24th, Clark commented on the status of his somewhat-mysterious leg injury "The good thing is it's making improvement and, worst-case scenario, I'll definitely be there for Week 1," Clark said. "That's a reassuring thing."

KC TE Brad Cottam underwent surgery on his cracked vertebrae Wednesday, December 23. On June 2, reports out of KC indicated Cottam (neck) has not participated in workouts this offseason because of the neck injury he suffered last season. Cottam said he has seen several doctors during the offseason and is considered week-to-week. Cottam was placed on the PUP list on July 29th. He hasn't played during preseason.

MIA TE Joey Haynos was placed on IR (foot injury) - he's done for 2010.

NE TE Rob Gronkowski was added to New England in the second round of the draft on Friday, April 23. He missed the 2009 season due to a back injury/surgery but has been cleared to play and is reportedly fully recovered from the back issue. As of June 26 it appeared that Alge Crumpler is in the lead position among New England tight ends. Gronkowski signed his contract on July 25th (4 years, 4.4 million). Gronkowski snagged 4/38/1 receiving vs. Atlanta on August 19th. He hauled in two of the four TDs thrown in the third preseason game, with 3/66/2.

NO TE Jeremy Shockey struggled with a knee injury throughout the playoffs, but he did participate in the Super Bowl victory (and scored a TD during the game). Shockey did not take part in practice Sunday, Aug. 1, because of knee soreness. Head coach Sean Payton said Shockey received treatment on his knee. Shockey did not participate in morning practice Monday, Aug. 2, because the team is being cautious with Shockey's sore knee, according to coach Payton - he expects Shockey back in a few days. The injury occurred when Shockey banged knees with a team mate. Shockey caught 3/23/0 during the first preseason game vs. New England, and had 1/3/0 vs. Houston during the second preseason game. Shockey pulled down 1/21/0 in the third preseason game.

Ex-PHI TE Cornelius Ingram is recovering on schedule from his torn ACL (left knee, torn August 8, 2009 - the second ACL tear in his left knee, each injury separated by 12 months). Ingram said on Monday, April 12 that his recovery is going well and that he should be healthy for Week 1. Ingram has been able to participate in workouts this offseason and has been able to do everything the coaches have asked him according to local reports in late May. On July 25th, it was reported that Ingram has recovered from his second torn ACL in as many years. He is not showing any signs of limps or problems due to the previous injuries. The first graft he had failed, so the second time the ACL tore he had it replaced by Dr. James Andrews, who used Ingram's patella ligament instead of one from a cadaver. Ingram had an MRI Wednesday, Aug. 25, which determined that he had a significant Baker's cyst in the back of his left knee and calf. Ingram underwent a procedure at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia Thursday, Aug. 26, to drain the cyst. He did not play in the third preseason game, and was released on September fourth.

SD TE Antonio Gates suffered from foot pains during recent OTAs. According to reports, he is expected to return to the team and be present for mini-camp, but not to participate. The team is being cautious with Gates even though the pain was diagnosed as "not a serious injury" after doctors treated the problem. He spoke about the latest foot trouble on May 29, saying: "Just taking precautionary action because of the struggles in the past and all the things I have been through," Gates said. "It never was a major problem; it was something I wanted to make sure wasn't any worse." During training camp, Gates has struggled more with a sore hamstring than the foot - he did return to practice on August 10th despite the soreness. Gates had one catch for five yards in the preseason opener on August 14th, and one catch for seven yards vs. Dallas during the second preseason game. Gates posted 5/66/0 receiving in the third preseason game (he led the team in receiving that day). He appears ready for the start of regular season as of September first.

SF TE Vernon Davis strained his knee in the first preseason game over the weekend - he's downplaying the injury, saying he'll be fine as of 8/16/10, but this is a situation to keep your eyes on in the coming two weeks. Davis was held out of the second preseason game on August 22nd for precautionary reasons. Reports during the game indicated that if the contest had been regular season, he would have been physically able to play. Local reports on 8/24/10 indicated that Davis will likely sit out the rest of the preseason games in order to be fully healthy at the start of regular season.

TB TE Kellen Winslow Jr. underwent an offseason knee surgery (date unspecified), a minor arthroscopic procedure that presumably cleaned out some excess scar tissue from previous surgeries stemming from a motorcycle crash in 2005 when he was a member of the Cleveland Browns. The latest surgery would be the fifth performed on his knee since the wreck. On July 6, it was reported that Tampa Bay Buccaneers TE Kellen Winslow (knee) participated in the latter part of offseason workouts away from the team but not appear to have any discomfort or obvious limitations in range of motion. Winslow was expected to take part in practice once training camp began, but that has not come to be. Winslow remained out of practice during evening workouts Monday, Aug. 2 and is still nursing soreness in the knee in question. Winslow sat out of the first preseason game on August 14th, but was expected to see 12-15 snaps with the first team in the second preseason game on August 21st. Winslow had one catch for five yards in the third preseason game vs. Jacksonville on 8/28/10.

TEN TE Jared Cook suffered a concussion in early December 2009. The team envisions him becoming more prominent in the offense during 2010, but it is worth noting that A) Bo Scaife received a $4.9 million tender offer and B) Cook has a history of concussions, which is something to be aware of given the heightened concern/treatment regimen the NFL has mandated for players who have concussions. Cook has been up and down during OTAs and training camp - recently Cook dropped two passes during the team's practice Monday, Aug. 16th, according to local reports. Cook scored a TD in the third preseason game, with 1/35/1 receiving on two targets.

WAS TE Chris Cooley's 2009 season was ruined by a broken ankle. He had surgery to place three pins in the ankle on Wednesday, October 28, and wasn't able to get back in the game during 2009, ending the year on Injured Reserve (Monday, November 30 the team made his IR move official). Fred Davis played very well in Cooley's absence last year, so there may be a positional battle brewing in training camp at TE. As of May 25, reports from Washington indicated that Cooley has been moving well during practice and appears to be fully recovered from the ankle injury he suffered last season. However, it remains to be seen which TE Donovan McNabb will favor between Cooley and Davis, or if the two will split the work at TE this year. Cooley has lined up on the outside with the wide receivers at times during June workouts. Cooley caught 3/33/0 during the first preseason game vs. Buffalo, but Davis handled a TD with 1/9/1. Cooley posted 2/33/0 vs. Baltimore August 21st while Davis snagged 2/45/0. Cooley caught 1/8/0 in the third preseason game.

Place Kickers

Questions, suggestions and comments are always welcome to wimer@footballguys.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
HOU TE Anthony Hill had offseason surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee. Kubiak said in a recent press conference that he and Dreessen are expected to be back:

First of all (TE) Owen (Daniels) will be coming back and he is ahead of schedule from what I understand in his rehab process. He learned how to rehab that injury. I have a lot of confidence that he will be back and will be fine. (TE) Anthony Hill, he had knee surgery as well and (TE) Joel Dressen had a couple of surgeries. We expect those guys to be back, but we also want to continue to get better and when there is an opportunity to improve your football team you figure out a way to get good football players out on the field. That's our philosophy and that's why we acquired the players that we have."

HOU TE Anthony Hill had offseason surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee. Kubiak said in a recent press conference that he and Dreessen are expected to be back:

First of all (TE) Owen (Daniels) will be coming back and he is ahead of schedule from what I understand in his rehab process. He learned how to rehab that injury. I have a lot of confidence that he will be back and will be fine. (TE) Anthony Hill, he had knee surgery as well and (TE) Joel Dressen had a couple of surgeries. We expect those guys to be back, but we also want to continue to get better and when there is an opportunity to improve your football team you figure out a way to get good football players out on the field. That's our philosophy and that's why we acquired the players that we have."
Thanks, done to here.

Updated today for DAL WR Dez Bryant, PIT WR Limas Sweed, and SEA RB Leon Washington injury news/updates.

MW

Hey Mark, since I assume this is for your mag/pdf article...note ALL Giants RBs are recovering. Odd situation N all

Hey Mark, since I assume this is for your mag/pdf article...note ALL Giants RBs are recovering. Odd situation N all
Good point, I'll edit in that observation. Thanks.Also, updated today for the Limas Sweed Achilles surgery.MW

Devin Thomas, new hamstring injury - Santana Moss, recently performed arthroscopic surgery on left knee: WAS Injury updates from minicamp LINK

NO WR Robert Meachem has toe surgery first week of May. LINK

Thanks to Jeff Tefertiller for the headsup. Keep the updates/headsups coming, guys.

wimer@footballguys.com

Updated 5/18 for information on Jamaal Charles LINK- shoulder surgery - and assorted other updates.

Also, includes information on Kellen Winslow's fifth knee surgery on the joint originally tore up in his infamous motorcycle wreck: LINK.

I assume you're on this, but you'll want to update for Marshall's "undisclosed" surgery as well.

Updated on Monday, May 24th with information on JAX Maurice Jones-Drew Lasik eye surgery during the offseason. Also updates on MIA RB Ronnie Brown, CHI WR Earl Bennett, CHI TE Brandon Manumaleuna, NYG WR Hakeem Nicks, IND WR Anthony Gonzalez.

Demaryius Thomas tweets from 5/24: Link

Backround story on Thomas' foot injury/surgery: Link

The team hasn't made any announcements on the latest set of x-rays 5/24/2010 that I could find as of 10 AM 5/25/2010.

MW

Several updates today on WAS TE Chris Cooley; with new information on BUF James Hardy, Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick; TEN Javon Ringer; BAL Todd Heap; and PHI Mike Bell.

MW

Updated on Friday May 28th to cover Jeremy Shockey's seizure/collapse/hospitalization, HOU TE's Anthony Hill and Owen Daniels updates, CIN Chad Ochocinco injury, KC QB Brodie Croyle's finger injury, SD WR Buster Davis' probable concussion, and an update on NYG RB Andre Brown's rehabilitation/practice progress.

Updated on Tuesday, June 2nd for an update on SD TE Antonio Gates, DET RB K. Smith and TE Brandon Pettigrew, Hou RB B. Tate, and NO TE J. Shockey.

Updated today for NYJ QB Sanchez update, NO TE Shockey update, IND QB Manning update, DET RB K. Smith update, DEN WR D. Thomas update, HOU RB S. Slaton, MIA WR Brandon Marshall, and an update on ATL RB M. Turner.

MW

This post was last updated on Thursday, June 10th, for news on NYG WR H. Nicks, DAL RB M. Barber, DEN WR E. Decker, MIA RB R. Brown, DAL WR D. Bryant, IND WR A. Gonzalez, OAK WR C. Schilens, DET TE B. Pettigrew.

Please advise of any items that need adding to the report - thanks, MW

Updated on Tuesday, June 15th for new information on DAL WR D. Bryant, CAR RB J. Stewart, NYJ QB Mark Sanchez, TB TE Kellen Winslow, CHI RB M. Forte, DAL RB M. Barber, IND WR A. Gonzalez, DEN WR D. Thomas, SD TE A. Gates, KC QB Brodie Croyle, GB WR D. Driver, and Den RB JJ. Arrington.

Updated on Thursday, June 17th for news relating to the loss of NYG WR Domenik Hixon for the season, and updates on CHI TE B. Manumaleuna, MIN QB B. Favre, SEA WR D. Branch, and NE WR B. Tate.

Updated on June 24th for new information on CAR WR S. Smith, TB TE K. Winslow, MIA WR B. Marshall, SEA WR D. Branch, SEA RB L. Washington, ATL RB M. Turner, DET RB K. Smith, SF RB Anthony Dixon, and MIA QB C. Pennington.

Updated on Thursday, July 8th for new information on DEN WR E. Decker, CAR WR S. Smith, NE WR Wes Welker, TB TE K. Winslow, DET TE T. Scheffler, HOU RB S. Slaton, DET TE B. Pettigrew, MIN QB B. Favre, and HOU TE O. Daniels.

Updates on MIN QB B. Favre and OAK QB C. Schilens today. I have edited/revised through MIA RB Patrick Cobbs as of 3:45 PM ET, and will continue to work on the editing/revising process tonight until the piece is up-to-date on the eve of training camps opening.

Updated on Monday, July 26th for new information on DAL RB. M. Barber, NE WR W. Welker, DET RB. K. Smith, PHI TE C. Ingram.

NE WR Wes Welker has been placed on the ACTIVE Physically Unable To Perform (PUP) list as of 7/27/10. Note that this is different from the RESERVE PUP list. The team can pull him off the Active PUP list at any time.

Updated on Friday, July 30th to include new items on CAR WR Dwayne Jarrett, CAR WR Steve Smith, NE WR Wes Welker, MIN WR S. Rice, IND WR Anthony Gonzalez, CIN WR Antonio Bryant, DAL RB Felix Jones, TB TE Kellen Winslow, NO WR Robert Meachem, MIA Brandon Marshall, WAS WR Malcolm Kelly, and ATL RBs Jerious Norwood and Michael Turner.

Updated in the afternoon on 7/31 for new injuries to DAL WR Dez Bryant, CLE RB Montario Hardesty, and new information on MIA RB Ronnie Brown, HOU TE Owen Daniels, and an update on CIN WR Antonio Bryant.

Falcons' tight end Colin Peek, an undrafted rookie free agent from Alabama, left the field during the afternoon practice on July 31st with an apparent right knee injury. He walked off the field with a trainer, but his right knee was heavily wrapped.

PHI WR DeSean Jackson carted off the practice field with an apparent back injury, a non-contact injury, severity unknown as of 7/31. Also MIN WR Percy Harvin carted off with unknown injury today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated 8/1/10 for new information on OAK WR C. Schilens, CIN WR A. Bryant, PHI WR D. Jackson, MIN WR P. Harvin, and CAR J. Stewart.

Footballguy and Broncos insider Cecil Lammey reports that initial information on Moreno's injury are conflicting and suggests waiting for MRI results - a torn right ACL is still in the realm of possibility. Buckhalter's injury is reportedly a minor hamstring pull and he should be back in action soon. - MW

Welker was taken off the active/physically unable to perform list today, 8/1/10, according to Nick Caserio, the team’s director of player personnel. According to Caserio, who met the media a short time ago, Welker passed his physical, and was cleared to play by medical personnel.

”He passed the physical, so it means he’s deemed ready to go by our training staff and the doctors,” Caserio said. ”He’s ready to go now.”

Updated 8/2/10 for new information on DEN RB Knowshon Moreno, TB RB Cadillac Williams, STL RB Steven Jackson, NO TE Jeremy Shockey, DET RB K. Smith, DEN C. Buckhalter.

Derrick Mason injured at Ravens' practice

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2010 11:28 AM ET

Baltimore Ravens No. 1 receiver Derrick Mason had to be helped off the practice field this morning after suffering a leg injury when he was hit by safety Dawan Landry.

Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports that Mason couldn't put any weight on his right leg, although Mason himself apparently wasn't too concerned.

"I just twisted it," Mason said on his way into the locker room.

The 36-year-old Mason has missed just six games in his NFL career, and none in the last seven seasons.

Derrick Mason injured at Ravens' practicePosted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2010 11:28 AM ETBaltimore Ravens No. 1 receiver Derrick Mason had to be helped off the practice field this morning after suffering a leg injury when he was hit by safety Dawan Landry. Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports that Mason couldn't put any weight on his right leg, although Mason himself apparently wasn't too concerned. "I just twisted it," Mason said on his way into the locker room. The 36-year-old Mason has missed just six games in his NFL career, and none in the last seven seasons.
Got it :shock: !

Updated 8/4/10 for NO RB Pierre Thomas, new information on TB TE Kellen Winslow, NYG WR Hakeem Nicks' new injury, PHI WR Jeremy Maclin update, and PIT RB Rashard Mendenhall's toe injury.

Updated 8/5/10 for new information on MIN QB Brett Favre, MIN WR Sidney Rice, Denver RB Knowshon Moreno, DEN RB Correll Buckhalter, and CIN WR Matt Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread