What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chad Henne, QB, Miami Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Chad Henne, QB, Miami Dolphins

Player Page Link: Chad Henne Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :pickle: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Finns had 3170 passing yard last year. With a year of maturity for Henne and the addition of Marshall, I see 3,500 yards as very reasonable, and I wouldn't be surprised if he went for 3600.

520 attempts, 322 completions, 6.9 ypa, 3588 yards. 21 TDs, 15 INTs

I liked Chad Henne a lot coming out of college.

But I can't see his number going up THAT much this year.

His TD/INT was 12/14 last year.

I see an 18/15 type of ratio this season with a bigger jump next season.

I liked Chad Henne a lot coming out of college.But I can't see his number going up THAT much this year.His TD/INT was 12/14 last year.I see an 18/15 type of ratio this season with a bigger jump next season.
Way up on Henne's prospects with addition of Brandon Marshall> not to elite level but a good fantasy back up with upside in dynasty.

Who's better Orton or Henne? Orton had 3800 yards throwing to Marshall and a bunch of scrubs. Royal may have had a monster rookie season but he sucked last year. I could see Henne throwing 3800 yards this year. Next year is more likely but I think it's possible this year and a 20-25 TD season...

Who's better Orton or Henne? Orton had 3800 yards throwing to Marshall and a bunch of scrubs. Royal may have had a monster rookie season but he sucked last year. I could see Henne throwing 3800 yards this year. Next year is more likely but I think it's possible this year and a 20-25 TD season...
how is mcdaniels offense similar to miami's?you think this all revolves around a wr?

how is mcdaniels offense similar to miami's?you think this all revolves around a wr?
Marshall dominated because he was the best skill player in Denver; it wasn't just the offense. In Miami, there hasn't been a solid WR so the offense had to revolve around Ronnie and Ricky. But those two guys are getting older and now Miami has a new toy. To think that Miami's offense won't evolve seems naive; they didn't go after Marshall just for his blocking skills. Before last season people thought Pitt was a running team. Things can change. How MUCH will Miami's offense change? There's the rub.

Before last season people thought Pitt was a running team. Things can change. How MUCH will Miami's offense change? There's the rub.
well, I don't think those people were paying attention --- that was arians, not holmes.

My gut feeling is that Chad Henne is one of those guys that can really help your fantasy squad in 2010. Consider the following comparison of Miami's passing stats in 08 and 09:

08 - 328 completions in 488 attempts 67.2% for 3,720 yards 19 TDs 7 ints 7.62 ypa

09 - 329 completions in 538 attempts 61.2% for 3,374 yards 14 TDs 18 ints 6.27 ypa

Chad Pennington was much more efficient in 08, but Miami had 50 more passes in 09 with Henne. The anticipate pattern is that Miami is a run-first team and that is where the potential value begins.

The Miami running attack is led by Ronnie Brown, theoverall #2 pick in 2005 is entering his sixth year in the NFL. His season ended in 09in week 10 when he was placed on IR following a Lisfranc fracture. He is a restricted free agent and has not yet signed his tender. He will likely be available at the beginning of the season, but how effective will he be. Last season was the second in the last three where he ended the year on IR and you have to be concerned with his durability, particularly coming off the lisfranc surgery.

Ricky Williams performed admirably in Brown's absence, but he is 33 this month and for the final eight games of 09, he averaged almost 22 touches per game. He is entering his ninth NFL season and set out one year mid-career, will be 33 and coming off his most carries since 2003. He is definitely not the poster boy for expected durability in 2010.

Behind Brown and Williams, the Dolphins feature Lousaka Polite, Patrick Cobbs, and Lex Hilliard, who have a combined 428 carries over eleven seasons with not one season by any of them with over of 40 carries.

The WR corps for the Dolphins was not highly thought of by any means last season, but Bess and Camarillo both are solid possession receivers and Hartline developed as the year went along. In the last six games, he scored double digit fantasy points (ppr) in four of the last six games. They keep all three of these guys and swap Tedd Ginn, Jr for Brandon Marshall, one of the premier play makers at his position in the NFL.

I see a lot of potential for a much improved passing attack in Miami and lots of value with Henne, currently being drafted as QB 19 and 133 overall.

Chad Henne 16 gms 360 completions in 550 attempts 65.5% for 3,960 yards 25 TDs 15 ints 7.2 ypa

The Miami running attack is led by Ronnie Brown, theoverall #2 pick in 2005 is entering his sixth year in the NFL. His season ended in 09in week 10 when he was placed on IR following a Lisfranc fracture. He is a restricted free agent and has not yet signed his tender. He will likely be available at the beginning of the season, but how effective will he be. Last season was the second in the last three where he ended the year on IR and you have to be concerned with his durability, particularly coming off the lisfranc surgery.

Ricky Williams performed admirably in Brown's absence, but he is 33 this month and for the final eight games of 09, he averaged almost 22 touches per game. He is entering his ninth NFL season and set out one year mid-career, will be 33 and coming off his most carries since 2003. He is definitely not the poster boy for expected durability in 2010.

Behind Brown and Williams, the Dolphins feature Lousaka Polite, Patrick Cobbs, and Lex Hilliard, who have a combined 428 carries over eleven seasons with not one season by any of them with over of 40 carries.
So in essence, the RB game plan in Miami could be phased out due to age, injury, free agency issues and lack of talented depth at the position. Or is the plan more of a "balanced" attack with the historical threat that Ronnie & Ricky pose to keep defenses honest and allow Henne & Marshall to see more opportunities? I believe this is the start of the change over to a more balanced offense in Miami.
The WR corps for the Dolphins was not highly thought of by any means last season, but Bess and Camarillo both are solid possession receivers and Hartline developed as the year went along. In the last six games, he scored double digit fantasy points (ppr) in four of the last six games. They keep all three of these guys and swap Tedd Ginn, Jr for Brandon Marshall, one of the premier play makers at his position in the NFL.

I see a lot of potential for a much improved passing attack in Miami and lots of value with Henne, currently being drafted as QB 19 and 133 overall.

Chad Henne 16 gms 360 completions in 550 attempts 65.5% for 3,960 yards 25 TDs 15 ints 7.2 ypa
As a Henns, Hartline, Camarillo & Marshall owner in my 10 team dynasty league, those #'s would thrill me! But if in your projection, they pass 550 times, how many running plays will they call? If you consider Ronnie & Ricky carried the rock 390 times combined, they could statisticly be considered a passing team. As a whole, the team had 509 rushing plays for 2231 yards (4.4 ypc) & 22 TD. Impressive, but how much of that was WildCat? As for Henne gaining an additional year of seasoning plus the WR weapon in Marshall, I see a positive gains for the Miami offense. More running lanes for Ronnie & Ricky, but fewer carries each to extend their careers/season plus the occasional crowding the box (8 man fronts) to contain them to allow Marshall single coverage.

Maybe even Fasano deserves a bump in value.

For Henne, I can see 3650 yards on 530 attempts for 340 completions (64%) and 23 TD & 12 Int

His OL is solid and he has the weapons to continue to develop and grow. His potential as a Fantasy QB2 is now. I don't know if he will ever reach elite status, but he could reach Top 10.

well, I don't think those people were paying attention --- that was arians, not holmes.
2003 Philadelphia Eagles- 279/484 for 3020 with 17:11 TD:INT2004 Philadelphia Eagles- 336/547 for 3979 with 32:11 TD:INT2006 New England Patriots- 326/527 for 3400 with 25:12 TD:INT2007 New England Patriots- 403/586 for 4731 with 50:9 TD:INTJust in case someone wanted some examples of passing explosions that were driven by a change in the WR corps instead of by a change in the coaching staff. And in case any wiseguy wants to point out that New England changed its offensive scheme in 2007... do you think they would have changed their scheme if they hadn't acquired Moss/Welker? Don't you think it's possible Miami will change its scheme now that they have Marshall (and Henne's got some seasoning)?

It's not so much about the attempts, but rather what you do with them. Most people don't realize that Miami attempted more passes than New Orleans sis last year. In fact, Seattle led the NFL in attempts. With Henne entering his 2nd season as a starter and obviously the aquisition of Marshall.... throw in a proven slot machine in Bess and potentially breakout candidate Hartline.... things could be interesting. They just need to maintain some semblance of a running attack to keep pressure off Henne... but if they can squeeze one more year out of Williams and get some health out of Brown - plus mix in a helaty dose of Polite and Hilliard (two underrated big runners) I think they might have something. It's a team I'm definately looking forward to seeing this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
2003 Philadelphia Eagles- 279/484 for 3020 with 17:11 TD:INT2004 Philadelphia Eagles- 336/547 for 3979 with 32:11 TD:INT2006 New England Patriots- 326/527 for 3400 with 25:12 TD:INT2007 New England Patriots- 403/586 for 4731 with 50:9 TD:INTJust in case someone wanted some examples of passing explosions that were driven by a change in the WR corps instead of by a change in the coaching staff. And in case any wiseguy wants to point out that New England changed its offensive scheme in 2007... do you think they would have changed their scheme if they hadn't acquired Moss/Welker? Don't you think it's possible Miami will change its scheme now that they have Marshall (and Henne's got some seasoning)?
no, absolutely I think miami has already shown to be very adaptable with the offense they throw out there, and even though they had some success running the ball and running some wildcat there were times they rolled with a passing offense.I wouldn't say it's so much about them going 100% in either direction, because as I said I think they're very flexible about what they do, it's more just about losing some kind of % of snaps to their own schemes when comparing them with a mcdaniels offense.all I'm saying is just because mcdaniels gets some particular production in passing stats doesn't mean everybody will just because the 2 teams happen to have a wr in common.henne and marshall are not brady and moss.

no, absolutely I think miami has already shown to be very adaptable with the offense they throw out there, and even though they had some success running the ball and running some wildcat there were times they rolled with a passing offense.

I wouldn't say it's so much about them going 100% in either direction, because as I said I think they're very flexible about what they do, it's more just about losing some kind of % of snaps to their own schemes when comparing them with a mcdaniels offense.

all I'm saying is just because mcdaniels gets some particular production in passing stats doesn't mean everybody will just because the 2 teams happen to have a wr in common.

henne and marshall are not brady and moss.
Horrible analogy. How about compare Orton/Marshall and Henne/Marshall.Marshall, had a new coach, offense, and QB last year and tore it up. Now, on a new team, he's got a new coach, offense, and QB, who has better skills than Orton, and no real competition in terms of stealing targets, and you expect Marshall's numbers to go down? Maybe the fact that he was essentially playing for a new contract last year will cause his numbers to drop this year after getting the new K, but I'm not seeing it.

Henne had three 300 yard games over the last 5 games last year with the likes Ginn and Camarillo to throw to. Henne finished strong in terms of yardage last year and now has Marshall. BTW, over those last 5 games Miami ran the ball 138 times and passed 217 or 62% of the time....

Chad Henne was drafted to be the future quarterback of this team when Miami spent a very high No. 2 pick on him leaving the University of Michigan, a hot bed for successful professional QB's.

To me, there seems to be a tendency for people to think that since Henne didn't start the first game of his first season, that someone he isn't very talented. The Dolphins had a veteran QB in place and they have Bill Parcells running the Dolphin organization who does not believe in rushing his young Qb's along. For proof, see how he brought along Tony Romo for the Cowboys.

The Dolphins threw the ball a lot at the end of last season, especially if you throw out that bad weather game against Pittsburgh in week 17. I looked at Henne as a sleeper BEFORE the addition of wide receiver Brandon Marshall. With Marshall, you have to bump up Henne's numbers slightly.

For fantasy football purposes, I really like Chad Henne as a QB by committee type of guy for those of you guys who like to take QB's later in the draft. He has 2 games against the Jets, more than likely all teams will struggle to some degree in the passing game against the Jets. In a QBBC with Henne, you look into the weeks they play the Jets and try to find another QB who does not have a bye those weeks and have average to good matchups those weeks.

Chad Henne: 3400 yards and 24 Td's with 18 Int's

no, absolutely I think miami has already shown to be very adaptable with the offense they throw out there, and even though they had some success running the ball and running some wildcat there were times they rolled with a passing offense.

I wouldn't say it's so much about them going 100% in either direction, because as I said I think they're very flexible about what they do, it's more just about losing some kind of % of snaps to their own schemes when comparing them with a mcdaniels offense.

all I'm saying is just because mcdaniels gets some particular production in passing stats doesn't mean everybody will just because the 2 teams happen to have a wr in common.

Horrible analogy. How about compare Orton/Marshall and Henne/Marshall.
well, you'll have to complain to ssog about the choice of analogies.

I never made any analogies, I just said it's not unprecedented for a team that added some marquee talent at WR to see a dramatic improvement in its passing game in year N+1.If there was any analogy to be gleaned from my post, it was this one-Henne without Marshall:Henne with Marshall::McNabb without Owens:McNabb with OwensThere was no direct comparison between Henne and McNabb or between Marshall and Owens... there was only a comparison of McNabb vs. McNabb as an example of one possible scenario when comparing Henne 2010 to Henne 2009.

I never made any analogies, I just said it's not unprecedented for a team that added some marquee talent at WR to see a dramatic improvement in its passing game in year N+1.If there was any analogy to be gleaned from my post, it was this one-Henne without Marshall:Henne with Marshall::McNabb without Owens:McNabb with OwensThere was no direct comparison between Henne and McNabb or between Marshall and Owens... there was only a comparison of McNabb vs. McNabb as an example of one possible scenario when comparing Henne 2010 to Henne 2009.
I don't put Henne in the same class with McNabb or Brady. Not yet. Not with the rushing attack they have and the line they built for it. Not with the extensive wildcat package. Not this year.Next year is the year to own Henne. Get him "cheap" now if you are dynasty.oops.. projections: 3450 - 24 - 14

I don't put Henne in the same class with McNabb or Brady. Not yet. Not with the rushing attack they have and the line they built for it. Not with the extensive wildcat package. Not this year.Next year is the year to own Henne. Get him "cheap" now if you are dynasty.oops.. projections: 3450 - 24 - 14
SSOG isn't putting Henne in the same class as McNabb either. Its an analogy. He's saying that Henne without Marshall is like McNabb without Owens and that Henne with Marshall is like McNabb with Owens. That adding a new, elite WR will HELP Henne. It may not push him into the top 5, or 10, etc. But it gives him a better target and will make him better.

I never made any analogies, I just said it's not unprecedented for a team that added some marquee talent at WR to see a dramatic improvement in its passing game in year N+1.If there was any analogy to be gleaned from my post, it was this one-

Henne without Marshall:Henne with Marshall::McNabb without Owens:McNabb with Owens

There was no direct comparison between Henne and McNabb or between Marshall and Owens... there was only a comparison of McNabb vs. McNabb as an example of one possible scenario when comparing Henne 2010 to Henne 2009.
I don't put Henne in the same class with McNabb or Brady. Not yet. Not with the rushing attack they have and the line they built for it. Not with the extensive wildcat package. Not this year.Next year is the year to own Henne. Get him "cheap" now if you are dynasty.

oops.. projections: 3450 - 24 - 14
SSOG isn't putting Henne in the same class as McNabb either. Its an analogy.
he said he never made any analogies.

Anyway, semantics and comparisons to Tom Brady aside, there seems to be a bit of a perception that Henne is young and developing and therefore it might be ambitious to expect him to be a starter-caliber QB this year. The reality is that 80% of QBs who finish in the top 10 at any point in their entire career will finish in the top 10 in their first two years as a starter. In other words, QBs who wind up becoming good generally wind up becoming good very quickly. Henne's a young prospect with a good pedigree (2nd rounder), two years in the league, and a lot of very good moments last year (like abusing the Jets pass defense, for starters). I personally believe he's going to wind up becoming a very good QB in the league, which means I'm more bullish than most on his prospects of being a starting QB as early as *THIS YEAR*.

Henne averaged 214 yards per start last season, which would project to 3400+ yards over a full 16 games. As a first year starter. On a run-first team. With garbage at WR. With the addition of Marshall and some extra seasoning, I would expect his ypa to go from 6.4 to the low-7 range, and I'd expect the TDs to go up, too because Brown is gimpy and Williams is old.

560 attempts, 3900 yards, 22 TDs, 12 INTs

Chad Henne was drafted to be the future quarterback of this team when Miami spent a very high No. 2 pick on him leaving the University of Michigan, a hot bed for successful professional QB's
Heh, I would definitely say a FORMER hotbed for successful professional QB's. Lloyd Carr definitely knew how to develop a QB. Rich Rodriguez? Not so much... :lmao: Rich Rodriguez: Shaun King and Pat White?

Lloyd Carr: Brian Griese, Tom Brady, Drew Henson (bust), Chad Henne

As far as Henne, I am seeing something like 3800 yards, 25 TD vs 17 INT.

Chad Henne was drafted to be the future quarterback of this team when Miami spent a very high No. 2 pick on him leaving the University of Michigan, a hot bed for successful professional QB's
Heh, I would definitely say a FORMER hotbed for successful professional QB's. Lloyd Carr definitely knew how to develop a QB. Rich Rodriguez? Not so much... :hifive: As far as Henne, I am seeing something like 3800 yards, 25 TD vs 17 INT.
They'll have a Rodriguez departure guy next season, Ryan Mallett of the Arkansas Razorbacks. Thanks Rich for going to Michigan.

if you expect more than what you got on a per game basis last year you're nuts

if you expect less you'll probably miss him at your draft.

the offense is still built to run, though the addition of marshall should assist the deep ball.

edit to add prj:

3400-17td's-16 ints

disregarding marshall who of course is a weapon. what makes you think henne is capable of the same spike in offense that brady is? apples to oranges.edit to add: just read the thread through and noticed the same comment. however, if it is just an analogy, why bring it up? Clearly, henne doesnt have the same ability as brady, so there is no reason to think his stats will jump the same way.

if you expect more than what you got on a per game basis last year you're nutsif you expect less you'll probably miss him at your draft. the offense is still built to run, though the addition of marshall should assist the deep ball. edit to add prj:3400-17td's-16 ints
Yeah, if you expect a guy to average more in his second season as a starter after acquiring a top-5 NFL WR talent than he did as a first-year starter who didn't get the 1st team reps during the offseason, then you're nuts. Seriously, anyone who even suggests that QBs can possibly improve from their first season to their second, or that stud WRs might improve numbers in the passing game, needs to be committed. :bag:
disregarding marshall who of course is a weapon. what makes you think henne is capable of the same spike in offense that brady is? apples to oranges.edit to add: just read the thread through and noticed the same comment. however, if it is just an analogy, why bring it up? Clearly, henne doesnt have the same ability as brady, so there is no reason to think his stats will jump the same way.
Disregarding Marshall? Why would we disregard Marshall? The guy is the highest paid WR in the NFL. That's like saying "disregarding Andre Johnson, there's no reason to be high on Matt Schaub", or "disregarding Chris Johnson, I think the Titans will struggle to run the ball". I said that "teams that acquire weapons at WR have often seen their passing numbers improve", and you responded with "well, if you disregard the fact that Miami just acquired a weapon at WR, how is this remotely similar?" :thumbup: The reason I think that Henne is capable of the same spike as Brady is that Henne's spike is radically easier. Going from 200 yards per game (3200 per season) to 240 yards per game (3900 per season, which is where I have him projected) is a lot easier than going from 212 yards per game to 296 yards per game. Or do you mean to suggest that only good QBs benefit from getting quality WRs? Well, if that's the case, Parcells must be a moron. Why even bother making Marshall the highest-paid WR in the league and spending two 2nds to acquire him. Doesn't he only know that only elite QBs can take advantage of having a stud WR to throw to?

if you expect more than what you got on a per game basis last year you're nutsif you expect less you'll probably miss him at your draft. the offense is still built to run, though the addition of marshall should assist the deep ball. edit to add prj:3400-17td's-16 ints
Yeah, if you expect a guy to average more in his second season as a starter after acquiring a top-5 NFL WR talent than he did as a first-year starter who didn't get the 1st team reps during the offseason, then you're nuts. Seriously, anyone who even suggests that QBs can possibly improve from their first season to their second, or that stud WRs might improve numbers in the passing game, needs to be committed. :bag:
Disregarding Marshall? Why would we disregard Marshall? The guy is the highest paid WR in the NFL. That's like saying "disregarding Andre Johnson, there's no reason to be high on Matt Schaub", or "disregarding Chris Johnson, I think the Titans will struggle to run the ball". I said that "teams that acquire weapons at WR have often seen their passing numbers improve", and you responded with "well, if you disregard the fact that Miami just acquired a weapon at WR, how is this remotely similar?" :thumbup: The reason I think that Henne is capable of the same spike as Brady is that Henne's spike is radically easier. Going from 200 yards per game (3200 per season) to 240 yards per game (3900 per season, which is where I have him projected) is a lot easier than going from 212 yards per game to 296 yards per game. Or do you mean to suggest that only good QBs benefit from getting quality WRs? Well, if that's the case, Parcells must be a moron. Why even bother making Marshall the highest-paid WR in the league and spending two 2nds to acquire him. Doesn't he only know that only elite QBs can take advantage of having a stud WR to throw to?
going from 200 yds/game to 240 is very very difficult. i still see no reason to compare him to one of the greatest QB's of the last quarter century. that's why brady is an elite passer - becuase he was able to make massive leaps and bounds in productivity. to think that henne can or should be able to make 65% of that jump would be wildly optimistic. apparently, you are. im not. also, you are being a little aggressive. Look, my projections are an improvement over his numbers from last year. do i think he is going to become elite becuase he inherited a great YAC receiver? NOPE. Does this guy have half the ability of Tom Brady? NOPE. henne is a hun and he can be fairly inaccurate. this is going to be a very balanced offense because they can be.edit to add: i think your last two sentences are more spot on than you want to admit. YES, i strongly believe that elite QB's benefit MUCH more from a elite WR than a middle-of-the-pack QB.

going from 200 yds/game to 240 is very very difficult. i still see no reason to compare him to one of the greatest QB's of the last quarter century. that's why brady is an elite passer - becuase he was able to make massive leaps and bounds in productivity. to think that henne can or should be able to make 65% of that jump would be wildly optimistic. apparently, you are. im not. also, you are being a little aggressive. Look, my projections are an improvement over his numbers from last year. do i think he is going to become elite becuase he inherited a great YAC receiver? NOPE. Does this guy have half the ability of Tom Brady? NOPE. henne is a hun and he can be fairly inaccurate. this is going to be a very balanced offense because they can be.edit to add: i think your last two sentences are more spot on than you want to admit. YES, i strongly believe that elite QB's benefit MUCH more from a elite WR than a middle-of-the-pack QB.
Look at the difference between Cassell with Moss/Welker and Cassell in KC. Look at the difference between Jake Plummer with Rod Smith/Ed McCaffrey/Shannon Sharpe/Ashley Lelie and Jake Plummer in Arizona. Look at the difference between Jeff Garcia with TO and without TO. Look at the difference between Daunte Culpepper with Moss and without Moss. Look at the difference between Kurt Warner with Holt/Bruce, Kurt Warner with Boldin/Fitz, and Kurt Warner with Toomer/Hilliard. Look what happened to Aaron Brooks when Joe Horn went off the cliff. Maybe you want to argue that some of those QBs were elite, but there's also a lot of mediocre QBs on that list, too. And if Chad Henne couldn't take advantage of Brandon Marshall, then why on earth would Bill Parcells have spent so much to acquire him? Why spend 2 seconds and a ludicrous contract on a WR if he isn't going to improve your passing game? That makes no sense.As for your numbers... you say you projected him for improved numbers, but you really didn't. Henne's per-start stats last year would pro-rate to 3430 yards, 15 TDs, and 16 INTs. You projected him to 3400 yards, 17 TDs, and 16 INTs. For all intents and purposes those numbers are identical to what he put up last year (40 fewer yards, 2 more TDs). Do you really believe that Chad Henne will do exactly as well this year as he did last year, despite the extra year of experience and the addition of the highest paid WR in the National Football League?Here's a brief list of every QB over the past decade who averaged more yards per start than Henne's 214 as a second-year player: Jeff Garcia, Marc Bulger, Daunte Culpepper, Aaron Brooks, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler. That's a pretty solid list. 5 other QBs had between 200 and 214 yards per game in their second year: McNabb, Leftwich, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees. By and large, the QBs that throw for as many yards as Henne threw for as early as Henne threw for them wind up becoming very good fantasy and NFL QBs. After each of those guy's second year season, would you have been posting in their spotlight about how unlikely it was for them to improve, too?Hell, Chad Henne might not be Tom Brady... but once upon a time, even Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady. Brady averaged 190 yards per game with 18 TDs and 12 INTs in his second season. In his third season? 235 yards per game and a league-leading 28 TD passes (with 14 INTs). Players improve from their 2nd to their 3rd seasons. It happens every year.

going from 200 yds/game to 240 is very very difficult. i still see no reason to compare him to one of the greatest QB's of the last quarter century. that's why brady is an elite passer - becuase he was able to make massive leaps and bounds in productivity. to think that henne can or should be able to make 65% of that jump would be wildly optimistic. apparently, you are. im not.

also, you are being a little aggressive. Look, my projections are an improvement over his numbers from last year. do i think he is going to become elite becuase he inherited a great YAC receiver? NOPE. Does this guy have half the ability of Tom Brady? NOPE. henne is a hun and he can be fairly inaccurate. this is going to be a very balanced offense because they can be.

edit to add: i think your last two sentences are more spot on than you want to admit. YES, i strongly believe that elite QB's benefit MUCH more from a elite WR than a middle-of-the-pack QB.
Look at the difference between Cassell with Moss/Welker and Cassell in KC. Um, yeah what? KC SUCKS. It isn't even a situation worth comaparing data. you'd have to have your head up your butt to think Cassell's production wasn't goin to drop. He went from the best passing team in the league to arguably one of the worst team's in a decade Look at the difference between Jake Plummer with Rod Smith/Ed McCaffrey/Shannon Sharpe/Ashley Lelie and Jake Plummer in Arizona. Half these guys are HOF's!!! You are talking about the addition of ONE SINGLE Brandon Marshall. I honestly don't see the similarity. Look at the difference between Jeff Garcia with TO and without TO. Garcia threw for over 3900 (the number you are projecting for Henne) ONE time. But my point is that you actually forgot about the other 2 guys in SF in those years, Jerry Rice and Charlie Garner. They must not have helped Garcia. It was surely just the sole addition of a second year Owens (skakes head). And that was with TO in his prime who WAS way better than Marshall in his prime (not the point, but). Also Garcia is a very good QB and he always has been. If Henne has half the career Garcia has, I'll be shocked. more than that, Look at the difference between Daunte Culpepper with Moss and without Moss. Look at the difference between Kurt Warner with Holt/Bruce, Kurt Warner with Boldin/Fitz, and Kurt Warner with Toomer/Hilliard. Again, you are comparing a potential HOF QB and two receivers that are on their way. DO you really think this is the same situation? Look what happened to Aaron Brooks when Joe Horn went off the cliff. Maybe you want to argue that some of those QBs were elite, but there's also a lot of mediocre QBs on that list, too. And if Chad Henne couldn't take advantage of Brandon Marshall, then why on earth would Bill Parcells have spent so much to acquire him? Why spend 2 seconds and a ludicrous contract on a WR if he isn't going to improve your passing game? That makes no sense. You have utterly confused me. You just listed a bunch of QB's at random and said their numbers were better with better WR's as if I ever said Henne's wouldnt improve too. All of the situations you just named didnt just have one WR come in and the QB saw instant improvement. Most of these teams hads highly developed MULTIPLE star WR'S. As for your numbers... you say you projected him for improved numbers, but you really didn't. Henne's per-start stats last year would pro-rate to 3430 yards, 15 TDs, and 16 INTs. You projected him to 3400 yards, 17 TDs, and 16 INTs. For all intents and purposes those numbers are identical to what he put up last year (40 fewer yards, 2 more TDs). Actually, your pro-rate stats are wrong because you aren't including the game in which he played nearly 3 quarters. I think this more than qualifies if you are extrapolating info out for an entire season. In which case, his stats are 3289 Yards, 13 TD's and 16 INT's. My projection is 3400 Yards, 17 TD's and 16 INT's. He is essentially improving in every category. I think I am being generous actually. Do you really believe that Chad Henne will do exactly as well this year as he did last year, despite the extra year of experience and the addition of the highest paid WR in the National Football League?

Here's a brief list of every QB over the past decade who averaged more yards per start than Henne's 214 as a second-year player: Jeff Garcia, Marc Bulger, Daunte Culpepper, Aaron Brooks, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler. What??? Where did you get this? Aaron Rodgers averaged 277 yards per game in his second full year as a player. Rex Grossman averaged 200 as a ROOKIE. Point is, there are a lot of guys that can the ball well early, but it doesnt mean they are going to do a 180 in year 2. Or 3 or 4 or ever for that matter. That's a pretty solid list. 5 other QBs had between 200 and 214 yards per game in their second year: McNabb, Leftwich, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees. By and large, the QBs that throw for as many yards as Henne threw for as early as Henne threw for them wind up becoming very good fantasy and NFL QBs. After each of those guy's second year season, would you have been posting in their spotlight about how unlikely it was for them to improve, too? You keep saying that I don't think he can improve and it isn't true. Of course he can. But your jump from his 2009 stats to projecting nearly 4000 Yards with 22 TD's and 12 INT's has me shaking my head. Are we talking about the same QB? There aren't many QB's that have made such a drastic jump in Yardage from year 1 to year 2 COMBINED with a total flip flop of TD to INT ratio. I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple.

Hell, Chad Henne might not be Tom Brady... but once upon a time, even Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady. Brady averaged 190 yards per game with 18 TDs and 12 INTs in his second season. In his third season? 235 yards per game and a league-leading 28 TD passes (with 14 INTs). Players improve from their 2nd to their 3rd seasons. It happens every year.

Horrible analogy. How about compare Orton/Marshall and Henne/Marshall.Marshall, had a new coach, offense, and QB last year and tore it up. Now, on a new team, he's got a new coach, offense, and QB, who has better skills than Orton, and no real competition in terms of stealing targets, and you expect Marshall's numbers to go down? Maybe the fact that he was essentially playing for a new contract last year will cause his numbers to drop this year after getting the new K, but I'm not seeing it.

Henne had three 300 yard games over the last 5 games last year with the likes Ginn and Camarillo to throw to. Henne finished strong in terms of yardage last year and now has Marshall. BTW, over those last 5 games Miami ran the ball 138 times and passed 217 or 62% of the time....
So Henne got hot down the stretch last year and started putting up better passing numbers......let's see what else happened to Miami in the 2nd half of the year......Oh yeah, there best offensive player in Ronnie Brown was lost for the season. Way to stretch it Scotty (BTW Scotty owns Henne in 2 leagues)

I like Henne but this team is still going to be controlled by the run game. They have spent the last 2 years beefing up that oline.

I like Henne to improve on last years numbers of course by being the guy the whole year.

I'll project 3200 yards and 18 td's/ 14 td's

So Henne got hot down the stretch last year and started putting up better passing numbers......let's see what else happened to Miami in the 2nd half of the year......Oh yeah, there best offensive player in Ronnie Brown was lost for the season. Way to stretch it Scotty (BTW Scotty owns Henne in 2 leagues)I like Henne but this team is still going to be controlled by the run game. They have spent the last 2 years beefing up that oline.I like Henne to improve on last years numbers of course by being the guy the whole year.I'll project 3200 yards and 18 td's/ 14 td's
As has been mentioned, those numbers actually represent a bit of a downgrade from his numbers last year. He averaged 214 yards per start last year, and you've got him at 200 yards per start this year.

So Henne got hot down the stretch last year and started putting up better passing numbers......let's see what else happened to Miami in the 2nd half of the year......Oh yeah, there best offensive player in Ronnie Brown was lost for the season. Way to stretch it Scotty (BTW Scotty owns Henne in 2 leagues)I like Henne but this team is still going to be controlled by the run game. They have spent the last 2 years beefing up that oline.I like Henne to improve on last years numbers of course by being the guy the whole year.I'll project 3200 yards and 18 td's/ 14 td's
As has been mentioned, those numbers actually represent a bit of a downgrade from his numbers last year. He averaged 214 yards per start last year, and you've got him at 200 yards per start this year.
Those numbers are an upgrade. Your use of averaging and pro-rating is misleadingly skewed.

Those numbers are an upgrade. Your use of averaging and pro-rating is misleadingly skewed.
Why? Because I'm counting his numbers per start rather than penalizing him for a game where he had to come in halfway through the game after not getting any first-team snaps all week? Does that game provide us with meaningful value going forward? Do you think there are any games Henne is going to play next season where he doesn't get any first team reps and he comes off the bench halfway through the game? Henne started 13 games last year. In those 13 starts, he averaged 214 passing yards. Don't know what's skewed about that.

Let's get the cabin pressure back in this thread. As a Miami fan I try not to go overboard on our own players but I think I also have a pretty good feel for what Miami is going to do this year.

1. The good news is most experts have him ranked at about #20. So if you really like Henne you probably won't have to spend a lot on him. I wouldn't want to pair him with another young QB, I would go for a solid vet and pair him with Henne and you probably have enough at QB to do some damage.

2. Miami has upgraded on offense a lot with the addition of Brandon Marshall. Henne can load up and fire the ball deep. Many say Marshall is not a long ball guy but I totally disagree and think Henne's numbers will get better just form guys being able to catch the ball down the field. Teddy Ginn was brutal at times last year despite some really nice moments along the way.

I think if Chad Henne can post some games where the stat line is something like 18/30, 225 yds, Td...this is what Miami is looking for. They turned Henne loose at the end of the year last year and he had 3 games down the stretch where he thrw it 46, 52, and 55 times...Miami does not want to become that type of team but they also lost their RB1 along the way.

500 pass attmepts

300 completions

3,600 yds

18 Td

10 Int

This will put him at a 60% completion rate, an increase in yds of about 30% and an increase in Tds by 50%/ I don't see the need to project for any more than this. I think Henne will be fairly steady and a solid QB2 this year.

When I looked at football guys ranking of Henne 4th this week up there with the elite qb's I at first though, "no way" but i researched this guy a little more and it seems like Miami will struggle to run the ball in general and especially in the red zone. for leagues that give .25 or even .5 for a completion; it would not surprise me to see him be among the league leaders in completions. I just can't see Miami with more than 20 rushing attempts/ game any Miami homers have insight into this years offensive scheme? will they adapt to their personnel? 4000 25 td with some rushing stats, top 8 numbers

When I looked at football guys ranking of Henne 4th this week up there with the elite qb's I at first though, "no way" but i researched this guy a little more and it seems like Miami will struggle to run the ball in general and especially in the red zone. for leagues that give .25 or even .5 for a completion; it would not surprise me to see him be among the league leaders in completions. I just can't see Miami with more than 20 rushing attempts/ game any Miami homers have insight into this years offensive scheme? will they adapt to their personnel? 4000 25 td with some rushing stats, top 8 numbers
Sparano has been instructed to open up the offense and bring some excitement to Miami. I believe that is why they went after Reggie Bush, and got rid of Ronnie. Reggie may or may not be a better player than Ronnie, but nobody will even try to argue that he is not a more exiting player than Ronnie. Gone are the days of two 3-yard runs into the line, an incomplete pass, and a punt. This offense will be much more wide open this season.The new OC (Brian Daboll) has given Chad Henne the authority to take control of the offense. Up until this season, Henne was not allowed to call audibles at the line, and he rarely ran the ball (He had about 80 career rushing yards before Monday, when he ran well, for 59 yards and a TD on 7 carries). It seems like the leash has come off of this dog, and now we will be able to see who we really have at QB. Considering that Monday was his first game in a new offense with a new OC, and he faced a healthy Pats D, I think he looked fantastic. He did make a couple of mistakes in the red zone, but personally I was not expecting a flawless performance given the situation. He looked to me like a dramatically improved player, in an offense that may give him a chance to shine this season. I am more optimistic at the QB position right now than I have been since 1999 (which admittedly is not saying a whole lot, but its something).

Let's get the cabin pressure back in this thread. As a Miami fan I try not to go overboard on our own players but I think I also have a pretty good feel for what Miami is going to do this year. 1. The good news is most experts have him ranked at about #20. So if you really like Henne you probably won't have to spend a lot on him. I wouldn't want to pair him with another young QB, I would go for a solid vet and pair him with Henne and you probably have enough at QB to do some damage. 2. Miami has upgraded on offense a lot with the addition of Brandon Marshall. Henne can load up and fire the ball deep. Many say Marshall is not a long ball guy but I totally disagree and think Henne's numbers will get better just form guys being able to catch the ball down the field. Teddy Ginn was brutal at times last year despite some really nice moments along the way. I think if Chad Henne can post some games where the stat line is something like 18/30, 225 yds, Td...this is what Miami is looking for. They turned Henne loose at the end of the year last year and he had 3 games down the stretch where he thrw it 46, 52, and 55 times...Miami does not want to become that type of team but they also lost their RB1 along the way. 500 pass attmepts300 completions3,600 yds18 Td10 IntThis will put him at a 60% completion rate, an increase in yds of about 30% and an increase in Tds by 50%/ I don't see the need to project for any more than this. I think Henne will be fairly steady and a solid QB2 this year.
I think he breaks 20 TD's, but closer to 15 Int's.

Let's get the cabin pressure back in this thread. As a Miami fan I try not to go overboard on our own players but I think I also have a pretty good feel for what Miami is going to do this year. 1. The good news is most experts have him ranked at about #20. So if you really like Henne you probably won't have to spend a lot on him. I wouldn't want to pair him with another young QB, I would go for a solid vet and pair him with Henne and you probably have enough at QB to do some damage. 2. Miami has upgraded on offense a lot with the addition of Brandon Marshall. Henne can load up and fire the ball deep. Many say Marshall is not a long ball guy but I totally disagree and think Henne's numbers will get better just form guys being able to catch the ball down the field. Teddy Ginn was brutal at times last year despite some really nice moments along the way. I think if Chad Henne can post some games where the stat line is something like 18/30, 225 yds, Td...this is what Miami is looking for. They turned Henne loose at the end of the year last year and he had 3 games down the stretch where he thrw it 46, 52, and 55 times...Miami does not want to become that type of team but they also lost their RB1 along the way. 500 pass attmepts300 completions3,600 yds18 Td10 IntThis will put him at a 60% completion rate, an increase in yds of about 30% and an increase in Tds by 50%/ I don't see the need to project for any more than this. I think Henne will be fairly steady and a solid QB2 this year.
MOP's post was from May 2010. He was projecting those numbers for last year, not this year - although they may not be too far off for this year. I agree with you - a couple more TDs and a couple more INTs in 2011 than what is projected here.

MOP's post was from May 2010. He was projecting those numbers for last year, not this year - although they may not be too far off for this year. I agree with you - a couple more TDs and a couple more INTs in 2011 than what is projected here.
:mellow:I'm an idiot. :bag:

this week's game vs Houston should tell us alot about Henne and the mia offense.

if we see similar things like we saw in the game vs the pats, this guy is gold this year. Also, I am looking for some improvement in the red zone. If he can get half of what he got vs the pats I would be happy. I think its very possible he gets 250+ 2 TDs in a potential shootout. not to mention the rushing yards and TD, but I am throwing that stat out from week 1 since that has never happened before. the only real question mark to me is the turnovers. Houston will bring more pressure than the pats which you would think would cause 1-2. I am pretty sold on playing him this week over Freeman, TB looks a little lost to me to start the season.

heres to henne :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread